Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-28-2010, 5:09 AM

Default 1911 quad mag pouch

Greetings,

I've been searching and researching quad mag pouches for the 1911. So far that I've concluded is that LEOs had used (trial and error), Blade Tech, Safariland, Don Hume, AE Nelson, and Aker. I forgot to include the Bianchi Glock 21 mag pouch.

While perusing, I ran into Tuff products quad magazine pouch that looks very interesting and it seems like very user friendly. It also comes in ballistic nylon, which I'm looking for. The flap and screws are adjustable, you could carry a 10,8, or 7 rd magazine w/ a closed flap.

Has anyone used this magazine pouch? I'm thinking of trying it out.
Old 12-28-2010, 6:13 AM

I currently use the AE Nelson quad magazine pouch. It works, but has its flaws. I might have to try this one... Looks like the pouch would hold the magazine in even with the flap open... Hmm.
Old 12-29-2010, 3:13 AM
Veteran Member

My buddy out of state carries 4 mags for his 1911 that way. No flap. For some reason, it seems like no flaps on anything (cuff case, mag case, oc case, etc.) is pretty common out there and it's a SoCal thing to have flaps on everything.
Old 12-29-2010, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
My buddy out of state carries 4 mags for his 1911 that way. No flap. For some reason, it seems like no flaps on anything (cuff case, mag case, oc case, etc.) is pretty common out there and it's a SoCal thing to have flaps on everything.
It's largely a NorCal thing as well, but I am seeing more open top mag carriers on duty belts up here as time goes by.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe it's just me or the way I am trained but on duty, I prefer to have flaps over everything except for my Pelican M7060 flashlight.
Old 12-30-2010, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca101 View Post

While perusing, I ran into Tuff products quad magazine pouch that looks very interesting and it seems like very user friendly. It also comes in ballistic nylon, which I'm looking for. The flap and screws are adjustable, you could carry a 10,8, or 7 rd magazine w/ a closed flap.

Has anyone used this magazine pouch? I'm thinking of trying it out.
I have a tuff products quad mag pouch and I think it is great. It does have it's negatives... instead of the mags sitting at the same height, the front mags are higher than the rear, which makes for a quite large pouch. The flaps are adjustable via Velcro on the inside of the rear mag storage compartment and are a little tricky to adjust. Otherwise it is as good as any other double mag pouch with flaps I've used.

Shoot me a pm if you are interested in some pics and I'll send some.
Old 12-30-2010, 6:33 PM

I carry a 1911 and 4 mag's, for my leather belt I use a Aker Glock mag pouch but something similar is fine as well, and 4 mag's fit just fine. For my nylon belt I use Bianchi Glock mag pouches, and they hold 4 mags just fine. Both the leather and nylon snap closed, trust me you want this because in a fight you don't want worry about your gear falling out, or having it fall out. I also prefer the Wilson mag's or other 8 rounders because the 10 round Chip Mc mag get's in the way sometimes and you have problems with the follower, and it can bend because of narrow length "IME" hope this help's best of luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 2:51 PM

I made my choice and decided to give the Safariland quad magazine pouch w/ hidden snaps. I purchased it through Opticplanet b/c it was on sale.

I originally purchased the Bianchi Glock 21 magazine pouch and I couldn't insert the second mag in the same slot. I'm not sure if I purchase the correct one. Anyways, I hope the Safariland won't be to bulky. Thanks you guys for your suggestions.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:21 PM

I carry a Tex Shoemaker Leather Basketweave Quad pouch with snaps for my leather belt. Recently, I picked up a quad pouch by Safariland in nylon finish for my nylon belt. (go figure..). My leather quad pouch has separate dividers as oppose to the Safariland Nylon Pouch which is essentially a GLOCK 21 / HK USP 45 mag pouch with an elastic band to separate the magazines. The elastic band is similiar as the black mourning band I wear on my badge when an officer is killed in the line of duty.
Old 01-14-2011, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a bianchi open top mag pouch for my mags... They are too loose IMO... They don't come out when I run, but they get looser as time goes on...I have had to put electric tape over the rubber retention gromet to get it tighter...

I think I am going to make my own out of kydex...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:12 PM

I just bought the 5 mag pouch for my secondary mags (Wilson Combat 10 rounders) and the stock flap is too short. Fits fine for the 8 round mags.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 AM

Tex Shoemaker and Don Hume both make them (or at least they did, I have one of each).

Tex Shoemaker Model DCP Quad Magazine Pouch
http://www.texshoemaker.com/DPC-Quad...Holder-DPC.htm

The Don Hume is the Model D407-D
http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=113

Last edited by RABULL; 01-27-2011 at 1:03 AM..
Old 01-27-2011, 6:33 AM

Most of the guys I know who use the Sig P220 use the Bianchi Military Quad mag pouch for 1911 mags. It holds two mags facing forward and two facing rearward...It's actually pretty compact for what it is and looks good on a nylon belt. The two main drawbacks are training to draw two mags facing the "wrong" way and the fact the flap covers all mags so once opened they're all unsecured (I don't know if they have any additional retention besides the flap). Overall I think it's a good option.