Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:32 AM

find out from the city of Santa Clarita what the "Prima Facie" speed is (Safe Speed Law) on that street at that time of the day. I once fought a speeding ticket in Sherman Oaks, the posted limit was 35, but at the time of the day it occurred, the safe speed limit was 42, I was doing 40, so it was dismissed.

Just by showing up in court you have a 50-50 chance of winning, especially because the cop can't always show up.

Good Luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 9:21 PM

Being that the vast majority of my department uses LIDAR, radar detectors do absolutely nothing...lol. I love citing people with radar detectors because the whole reason they have them is to SPEED. I would say that I verbal 25% of people I stop, but I have not and never will verbal someone for speed with a radar detector. Furthermore I love getting next to people with radar detectors and flipping my radar on/off and watching them freak out!!! LOL

If the officer that cited you was on a bike he either paced you or used lidar. So the radar detector would have done absolutely nothing.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I used to love turing off my hand held radar unit at cars that I knew had a detector. It was fun to see their reaction when they thought their expensive unit was on the blink.

Almost as much fun as following a car for no reason what so ever for a few blocks. People re-focus on their basic driving skills for a few minutes, wondering, "Why is that police car following me?" Unless they committed a blatant unsafe violation, I would rarely stop them.

OK, I admit it is a little cruel, but I've got to be driving somewhere when I don't have a call. Things like that keep you alert on some long shifts. Staying alert keeps you alive. At the end of a double shift you start to fade.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalado View Post

If the officer that cited you was on a bike he either paced you or used lidar. So the radar detector would have done absolutely nothing.
Yeah, let me know how that radar detector does on a bumper pace or speed estimation citation. Or lidar. Shoot, most of the people I've cited for speed that had radar detectors I popped using radar anyway.

So....if ya got $400 to throw away, I'll take it!
Old 09-29-2010, 5:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdarkness View Post
anyone know how many points i would get for doing 57 in a 35 (residential zone) ??
57 mph in a residential zone?
What are you a knucklehead??
Slow the heck down................
Old 09-29-2010, 7:20 AM
Veteran Member

IIRC, and it has been 4 years since I worked in Traffic Court, so things may have changed.
Up to 25 mph over the speed limit, there is 1 point, and traffic school.
More than 25 mph over the speed limit, 1 point, and traffic school is not supposed to be authorised.
Once you hit the magic number of 100+ mph, then it becomes a 2 point violation(similar to reckless driving and DUI), and no traffic school at all. With a 2 point violation you watch your insurance go through the roof.

Remember, traffic school is a privilage, not a right.
Old 09-29-2010, 8:25 AM

When I was newly 16, I got a speeding ticket for roughly 20 over. I got a fine, had 3 days of traffic school, and lost my license for a month (which seemed like a year). This was almost 15 years ago, so I dunno if they're more strict or lenient. Good luck.

I promise the experience will help you slow down. Once you get a bit wiser and grayer, you'll feel me
Old 10-05-2010, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
IIRC, and it has been 4 years since I worked in Traffic Court, so things may have changed.
Up to 25 mph over the speed limit, there is 1 point, and traffic school.
More than 25 mph over the speed limit, 1 point, and traffic school is not supposed to be authorised.
Once you hit the magic number of 100+ mph, then it becomes a 2 point violation(similar to reckless driving and DUI), and no traffic school at all. With a 2 point violation you watch your insurance go through the roof.

Remember, traffic school is a privilage, not a right.
I had one judge that state right up front that he didn't do traffic school . . . and he didn't.
Old 10-06-2010, 4:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you were in traffic court where I work, you would be looking at a hefty fine and a suspension of your license. Make sure you bring your license to court with you, the judges get really pissed if you don't have it when they tell you to surrender it to the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMo View Post
Almost every poll shows Trump losing very badly, yet poeple still believe some conspiracy. The party p[icked the weakest candidate so they have to own that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom2a View Post
Anything to protect Cheeto. Even though he just signed basically a gun confiscation order.
YES, TDS IS REAL, ORANGE MAN BAD

NRA Benefactor Member