Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:12 AM

Agree with the post above. 10K plus rounds, I've never had my brass hit me. Also on failure drills, not having to rotate the rifle to assess the situation is actually advantageous.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I am a lefty. My first exposure to the AR platform was in the U.S. Army, and left handed uppers were not an option. Now I have been shooting standard AR's for so long that I would not even want a lefty upper. I vote for sticking with a standard RH upper and adapting to it, which will not take long.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:58 AM

The only function that is inconvenient on the standard configuration is the bolt catch release. The safety selector too maybe but I can just rotate my thumb around or switch it with my trigger finger. Otherwise I have no problem shooting the right handed AR as a lefty. For what they cost I don't find the upcharge for left handed parts to really be worth it.
Old 07-18-2015, 8:32 AM

Lh with rh upper, because I like the direct burnt cordite smell injection feature.
Old 07-18-2015, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

XD Dr ridged set deeds add fedoedoeestdi St defeat wz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Write Winger View Post
I'm a left handed AR shooter. I bought a right handed complete upper when I was poor and couldn't pay the extra $50-100 for a left handed upper. I haven't had any problems shooting; it's not a huge deal.

But now that I can afford what I really want, I noticed there's incredibly few brands that actually offer left handed complete options. There's like Stag, Red X, and Noveske, and that's about it. It's hard to come by stripped uppers as well.

Question and poll for left handed AR shooters. Do you buy left handed complete uppers? If yes, just say so, and post where you bought it. If no, is it because -
a) not enough options/suppliers
b) more and cheaper right handed options/suppliers
c) man up and shoot with the correct hand
d) I built my own left handed upper
e) other - explain

Have we left handed just gotten used to shooting right handed models and it isn't an issue?

If there was a new supplier of complete uppers, would you be a buyer?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2015, 7:19 PM

I'm a left handed shooter and I only have one bolt action rifle that's left hands, a Remington 700 in .270 Win.. I like shooting Mausers and have found I'm just as fast left handed as a right handed shooter at working the action. As far as ARs go, I wouldn't mind one that's left handed but the three I already have aren't and with that knuckle just behind the ejection port there's no worries anyway.
Old 07-18-2015, 8:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg86 View Post
XD Dr ridged set deeds add fedoedoeestdi St defeat wz
+1.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 07-19-2015, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
I shoot left with right handed uppers.

It poses zero issues for me and in some ways I find it better. in particular, I like that I can easily see the bullet button. Makes mag changes super easy. I can also hit the bolt catch release with my trigger finger in a very short motion and get back on the trigger quickly.
This.
Old 07-19-2015, 7:28 AM

I currently have a right handed upper shooting left handed and feel it is not a problem at all.

I do like to lube the crap out of my bolt so sometimes I get a face full of lube/carbon when I shoot my AR for the first time after cleaning it, no big deal.

I do prefer a right handed upper though, just because I can clear the chamber or check for malfunctions in an instant.

I do have a Ambi Raptor charging handle and it has made it more comfortable, but was it needed? Absolutely not. Like someone mentioned above just personal preference

I do agree with another post that the bolt catch is a bit inconvenient, I would like it to be on the right side so I could hit it with my off hand thumb while seating the mag.

Another part that I find a disadvantage is the safety. Like someone mentioned on the thread you can just flick it with your trigger finger or come around with your thumb, but I always use the safety and it only comes off when I bring the gun up. If you want to get your shot off faster, you will definitely want an Ambidextrous Safety as it will make it much faster to flick it with your thumb and getting on the trigger at the same time vs being off the trigger to flick the safety and getting back on the trigger.

Lastly, the magazine release. It would be very nice to just release the mag with your trigger finger so our off hand could be on its way to grab a fresh mag for a speed reload. Instead we always have to use our off hand to eject the mag and then grab a fresh mag.

Conclusion, Shooting left handed with a right handed AR-15 absolutely do-able and not a problem at all BUT, it can definitely be better, faster and more comfortable with the right upgrades.

Last edited by Chromebonez; 07-22-2015 at 8:40 PM..
Old 07-19-2015, 7:45 AM
Veteran Member

I did a lot of research into lefty ARs and just went with an AR that had left handed safety and changed the charging handle to Raptor ambidextrous version. I am also getting a bolt release that is bigger so I can reach it a bit easier with my index finger.

Now, Patriot Ordnance Factory (POF) has uppers that are lefty friendly on all controls (saw it on a friend's). Being lazy I will quote an article: "All Gen 4 POF firearms are equipped with fully ambidextrous controls. The selector/safety, slide-stop and magazine release can all be actuated from either side of the receiver. The slide stop is in its traditional position on the left side of the receiver, but an additional button is located inside the trigger guard to lock the bolt to the rear. A button above the right-side magazine release is used to drop the bolt into battery, and an additional magazine release is positioned on the left side of the lower."
Old 07-19-2015, 8:19 AM

Lefty here. I probably have 15 AR's of various types and calibers.

All are right handed models.

Only gun I'm gonna convert to left handed is my Tavor. Just haven't gotten around to shipping it to them.
Old 07-20-2015, 8:42 AM

I shoot left handed and a Right handed AR platform works well for me. I keep my left hand on the pistol grip and pull the charging handle back with my right hand . I bought a universal charging handle. Also since the safety is on the same side my trigger finger is on I just learned to slide my thumb up to engage the safety. The only time it sucks to shoot left handed is if your shooting off a bench and a right handed shooter is shooting next to . Back to back

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Old problems are like dry poop, if you let the dry poop sit it doesn't smell but the minute you decide to stir the poop with a stick, the smell comes back. Moral of the story, Don't bring up old problems!
Old 07-20-2015, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

RH, left eye dominant. I have both. Usually shoot the LH just 'cause.

No real operational differences IMHO.

And I bought a Stag complete LH upper...
Old 07-20-2015, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebonez View Post
. . .

I do like to lube the crap out of my bolt so sometimes I get a face full of lube/carbon when I shoot my AR for the first time after cleaning it, no big deal.
. . .
Same here and the puff of lube, etc... in the eye pro was always a little annoying. I considered a piston upper or a lefty upper for a while.

Instead, I switched to Fail Zero NiB bolt carrier groups and run them either dry (as recommended) or with just a tiny bit of lube and this has completely solved the issue.

I also use a Raptor ambi charging handle and an ambi safety.
Old 08-23-2019, 4:04 PM

wow. negativity on the lefty AR's.
it's not about manning up and learning to shoot right, it's about have the option to go left if you want. i've had 2 stag 15L's and they are great. should i have a right handed upper just in case? probably. shooting m1's the brass does fly your way a bit. but i make due. i just like the option. when i went to buy my first guitar they said, learn to play right handed. that was impossible. my hands just naturally fell in place on a lefty. and i'm glad companies make lefty guitars.......or i never would have learned to play.

i guess this is the wrong group to ask if anyone could recommend an after market left-handed BCG that would work in a stag. kinda wanted to upgrade. but if you can, let me know if you know anything.
Old 08-23-2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:

It poses zero issues for me and in some ways I find it better. in particular, I like that I can easily see the bullet button. Makes mag changes super easy. I can also hit the bolt catch release with my trigger finger in a very short motion and get back on the trigger quickly.
Same.

Since I shoot left but am right handed, I find it ideal that I can run the gun with my strong hand and perform the relatively simple task of pulling the trigger with my left. I also operate the charging handle with my left hand because I donít like the high speed reach under tricks.

Iíve never had a problem with right side ejection. Never even knew it bothered people and Iíve never been hit by brass. Perhaps we get more exhaust but DI guns smell like hell anyways. I suppose Iíd be curious about the left hand uppers for novelty sake, but Iíd much rather have a gun where the bolt hasnít been tinkered with to accommodate left-side ejection.
Old 08-23-2019, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
i guess this is the wrong group to ask if anyone could recommend an after market left-handed BCG that would work in a stag. kinda wanted to upgrade. but if you can, let me know if you know anything.
LEFT-HAND NiB 556 BCG

No personal experience with the lefty bcg I linked above, just couldn't resist the zombie thread zinger

Last edited by Mr. Meeseeks; 08-23-2019 at 4:56 PM..
Old 08-23-2019, 4:43 PM

Quote:
I'm a left handed AR shooter. I bought a right handed complete upper when I was poor and couldn't pay the extra $50-100 for a left handed upper. I haven't had any problems shooting; it's not a huge deal.

But now that I can afford what I really want, I noticed there's incredibly few brands that actually offer left handed complete options. There's like Stag, Red X, and Noveske, and that's about it. It's hard to come by stripped uppers as well.

Question and poll for left handed AR shooters. Do you buy left handed complete uppers? If yes, just say so, and post where you bought it. If no, is it because -
a) not enough options/suppliers
b) more and cheaper right handed options/suppliers
c) man up and shoot with the correct hand
d) I built my own left handed upper
e) other - explain

Have we left handed just gotten used to shooting right handed models and it isn't an issue?

If there was a new supplier of complete uppers, would you be a buyer?
No. Improvise, adapt, overcome. ALL my rifles are right handed, and I shoot them left handed. Put a left handed rifle in my hands, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it.
Old 08-23-2019, 4:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluorideInMyWater View Post
wow. negativity on the lefty AR's.
it's not about manning up and learning to shoot right, it's about have the option to go left if you want. i've had 2 stag 15L's and they are great. should i have a right handed upper just in case? probably. shooting m1's the brass does fly your way a bit. but i make due. i just like the option. when i went to buy my first guitar they said, learn to play right handed. that was impossible. my hands just naturally fell in place on a lefty. and i'm glad companies make lefty guitars.......or i never would have learned to play.

4 years! Really?

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-23-2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
4 years! Really?
someone was giving me crud about not searching the forums for existing posts. found this one that was relevant, so i decided to post in an existing thread.
now i'm getting crud for being diligent and searching b4 i post.
there were other posts that were from this year, btw :P
Old 08-23-2019, 5:21 PM

LOL, why does everyone get salty about a necro thread? Anyway, my 2 cents: due to my stature the original M-16s threw the brass pretty much straight down my shirtfront. Learned pretty quick to button my top button or use a bandana. Never been an issue since the deflector.
Old 08-23-2019, 5:57 PM

Honestly, the necrobump comments are just an internet thing. Don't take it so personal.
Old 08-23-2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
But I wonder if there were more sick options than just Stag, if lefties might have considered making a rifle or pistol that suited them rather than just living in a righty world.
Yes, built a LH SCR that suited my left hand, left eye dominance. The SCR has a proprietary carrier, so I modified a LH Stag to replicate it. Yes, they are likely harder to resell (don't care). Yes, you have to maintain backup parts - BCG. Most of my upper/BCGs came from Stag, but I used a Gibbz LH SCU on the SCR build. Lotsa lefties learned on RH guns and prefer them, totally get it. I entered the hobby a little later in life and fortunate there were LH options.

My daughters bo is retired USMC, LH, and loves the SCR even though he trained on RH rifles.

Last edited by 70runner; 08-23-2019 at 6:16 PM..
Old 08-23-2019, 8:19 PM

My wife and son are both lefties. They shoot our RH ARs no problem. However the time a lefty wants a LH is when shooting prone. My sons first CMP match he was loaned a LH and it made a huge difference. So I bought LH parts to build him a LH. Itís cheaper and easier to buy the stag built uppers unless you want a configuration they donít do like a CHF 20Ē barrel with Vietnam era triangle foregrip.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Yep, and if you want a really sweet lefty gun try an AK. It was meant for us!

I had a Stag lefty 6.8 and it was poorly made and had issues with the feed ramps I think. Crap customer service as well (8 years ago to be fair). I would never buy another lefty AR. Also got hosed on the resale value. It’s non existent.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 08-23-2019 at 10:29 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 7:04 AM

My 2cents worth...while 5.56/.223/6.8spc/creedmore components are readily available, 6.5 Grendel is a bit harder to source...'specially the bcg...bolt here, carrier there, fa somewhere else...and then there are the type I/II chamber issues...but, I have managed to source all needed components for my build...in classic AR style... Will post in about a month or so...BTW...nice wood furniture on 70runners build...

As for my icon photo...the 500 pounder was dug up a while ago in my old neighborhood...and my school friends and I remarked at how many times we walked over that thing on our way to town for shopping and a bier...Gives a whole new meaning to "we had a blast last night"... Not the first one...nor the last...

Last edited by ulmapache; 08-24-2019 at 7:10 AM..
Old 08-24-2019, 9:27 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

if i'm left handed i'd get it. now that it's available so why not just buy that correspond to your shooting side.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******
Old 08-24-2019, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Lefty here. I use an ambi Charger, safety, and magazine drop on my featureless rifle. Outside of that the ejection port is still right sided. My logic is that if some one such as my wife (right handed) had to pick up my rifle and use it everything is still there for the righty.

The only problem Iíve ever had with a Righty specific rifle is the IWI tavor (my Brother in laws rifle), ended up with brass to the cheek. There is a left handed kit for it but my brother in law is a righty so Iím not gonna tell him to do that just for me. Iíd rather just not shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2019, 6:22 PM

Lefty here with standard AR’s but I do have a lefty bolt in my AUG which I often forget to tell righties about.
Old 08-24-2019, 9:43 PM
Veteran Member

Left eye dominant but right handed. I prefer to shoot handguns left handed but long-guns right handed. Depends how I feel. I do have a left-handed Stag, but everything else is righty. I bought the lefty Stag upper on a whim. Just wanted something to send brass to the left to annoy my shooting buddies. :-)

1N73LL1G3NC3 15 7H3 4B1L17Y 70 4D4P7 70 CH4NG3. -573PH3N H4WK1NG
Old 08-24-2019, 11:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I am a right handed shooter, but both parents and several family members are left handed. So I make an effort to make them as ambi-friendly as I can. I put BAD levers on, ambi-safeties, add a rail to the right hand side so they could move the light over. It's not likely they'd need to use the rifles. But as a preparedness thing...I want them to be able to do so comfortably and with minimal effort. Never know, they might want to take a course with me.