Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-22-2019, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Default The Fix by Q

Anyone have The Fix by Q? Shot one?

Whatís your impression? As good as the price suggests?

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 05-22-2019, 8:23 PM

Heard the accuracy leaves a lot to be desired, lot of drama with the original barrel manufacturer, heavy bolt lift issues. I haven’t shot one personally but I’d rather spend that kind of money on a custom gun.
Old 05-22-2019, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Most things sold by Q seem overpriced to me.

Just from the description the Fix seems kind of weird, like an AR-308 with a bolt handle. The bolt lift is very short, like it has an AR multi-lug bolt. It uses the AR-10 magazine too.

Beanz, what's your plan for it?
Old 05-22-2019, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Saw one in the wild last week. Very interesting rifle. It was a 16" 6.5CM Guy couldn't hit crap with it but very well have been the shooter as conditions that weekend were very bad. 25+ gusts of wind. Very spendy but very cool concept.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post

Beanz, what's your plan for it?
Nothing particular. Just getting tired of waiting for the Siete.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
Saw one in the wild last week. Very interesting rifle. It was a 16" 6.5CM Guy couldn't hit crap with it but very well have been the shooter as conditions that weekend were very bad. 25+ gusts of wind. Very spendy but very cool concept.
That's a weirdly short barrel for a Creedmoor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Nothing particular. Just getting tired of waiting for the Siete.

Whatzat?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:31 PM
Calgunner
CGN Contributor

I saw an older gentlemen shot it at LA shooting range a few weeks ago. He was nice and invited me to try to shoot it. I didn’t shoot it but play with it a bit. It felt a bit awkward. The bolt lift and design are not my cup of tea for sure. The bolt is also kind of rough. But again, I’m not a pro so maybe the gun is better than me.

With a price of $3k for that rifle, I have a list of different manufactures or custom rifles that I would pick.
Old 05-23-2019, 5:29 AM
Calguns Addict

WhiteMamba who posts here from time to time uses one for shooting pigs so maybe he will chime in?
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 05-23-2019, 6:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Whatzat?
Larue Siete. Another mostly discussed, never seen gun.

Old 05-23-2019, 6:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
WhiteMamba who posts here from time to time uses one for shooting pigs so maybe he will chime in?
I've spun up two Bartlein blanks for his Fix. He's a precision shooter so he wants accuracy. The rifle is interesting, and if you like the ergonomics of an AR then by all means. In shines as a light and compact hunting rifle, exactly what Mamba uses it for. Any other purpose and is has shortcomings.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 05-23-2019, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGoatMachine View Post
I've spun up two Bartlein blanks for his Fix. He's a precision shooter so he wants accuracy. The rifle is interesting, and if you like the ergonomics of an AR then by all means. In shines as a light and compact hunting rifle, exactly what Mamba uses it for. Any other purpose and is has shortcomings.
Completely agree. I would only use one as a light hunter, but I believe there are better choices for the money in that role as well.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 05-23-2019, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Larue Siete. Another mostly discussed, never seen gun.

Heh, never even seen it discussed, obv.

Why look for the weird when there's a metric crapton of really good bolt guns on the market? This is basically the golden age of that kind of rifle. You can even find custom grade rifles built on thousand dollar actions on sale from time to time.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
In shines as a light and compact hunting rifle, exactly what Mamba uses it for.
I own one, and this is exactly why I bought it. I'm very happy with it, it's probably my favorite gun to shoot.

The light weight nature of the rifle really amplifies your inconsistencies as a shooter, but I think that applies to any light weight bolt gun. I think that's where a lot of the accuracy complaints come from. I think an experienced shooter who shoots well, can do so with most any platform. Beginner shooters/hunters buy this rifle and expect it to shoot ragged holes when their form is crap.

I also agree, if you're looking for a gun to shoot from a bench or maybe PRS style events this is not the gun for you. You'll probably be disappointed.

If you really get down to the details of the rifle, there's nothing on the market that is currently like it in my opinion, others will likely disagree. I think Christensen Arms MPR is a close competitor that has similar features and over all weight.

There aren't a lot of rifles out their with similar weight characteristics and modularity. It's up for you to decide what features are important.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Completely agree. I would only use one as a light hunter, but I believe there are better choices for the money in that role as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD PEZZLE View Post
I own one, and this is exactly why I bought it. I'm very happy with it, it's probably my favorite gun to shoot.

The light weight nature of the rifle really amplifies your inconsistencies as a shooter, but I think that applies to any light weight bolt gun. I think that's where a lot of the accuracy complaints come from. I think an experienced shooter who shoots well, can do so with most any platform. Beginner shooters/hunters buy this rifle and expect it to shoot ragged holes when their form is crap.

I also agree, if you're looking for a gun to shoot from a bench or maybe PRS style events this is not the gun for you. You'll probably be disappointed.

If you really get down to the details of the rifle, there's nothing on the market that is currently like it in my opinion, others will likely disagree. I think Christensen Arms MPR is a close competitor that has similar features and over all weight.

There aren't a lot of rifles out their with similar weight characteristics and modularity. It's up for you to decide what features are important.
Much appreciated your input, sirs!

I was looking for a long range target shooting gun and I don't hunt. The low weight and AR-style controls are nice, but looks like this is not the one.

Quote:
Heh, never even seen it discussed, obv.

Why look for the weird when there's a metric crapton of really good bolt guns on the market? This is basically the golden age of that kind of rifle. You can even find custom grade rifles built on thousand dollar actions on sale from time to time.
I'll keep looking. Those GA Precision offerings are nice. At those prices, I better do some careful research.

Below is one of the prototypes of Larue Siete, this one in 300WM. Some have been shown in wood stocks too.

Old 05-23-2019, 1:50 PM

Quote:

Below is one of the prototypes of Larue Siete, this one in 300WM. Some have been shown in wood stocks too.

That's an Accuracy International AX Chassis/Stock, if you really like the looks of it you could literally buy one today and put any number of quality bolt actions in it and have a very high quality/accurate setup right now without waiting for Larue to maybe make a bolt gun.

It really is a good time to be shopping for precision rifles, there's a lot of quality companies bringing actions to market and it's driving costs down.
Old 05-23-2019, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

To me the best part of an AI is the action, not the chassis.

Beanz, take a look at the Masterpiece Arms Precision Match Rifle, which is their version of the PRS Production rifle (has to be $2k max msrp). When they first brought it out it used a Savage action, but now it uses a 3 lug MPA/Curtis action, whatever that means. If it's anything like the Axiom action they use in their more expensive rifles, 2 grand is a bargain. Those things run like glass.
Old 05-23-2019, 5:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Beanz2
Where are you located?
You might be better off having BillyGoat Machine just put a barrel on an action and dropping it into whatever chassis you like.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 05-23-2019, 5:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Beanz2
Where are you located?
You might be better off having BillyGoat Machine just put a barrel on an action and dropping it into whatever chassis you like.
SF Bay Area during the week, near Reno on the weekends.

Hmmm, a custom rifle is starting to look better from what I'm reading...

Old 05-23-2019, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

When you finish your laundry list of features you want, take a look into the market and compare to what you can buy from factory offerings. It might be that you can get most of what you want right off the shelf and only need to make a few tweaks. It's almost always a lot cheaper and faster way to go.
Old 05-23-2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:

Iím having Marc at Spartan Precision Rifles build me a rifle, it isnít cheap but heís a good guy and will build you whatever you want. Iíd rather have a custom gun than an off the shelf Fix or LaRue rifle.
Old 05-24-2019, 6:26 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Give me a call anytime tuesday-friday. Mornings right after 10:00am are best before I'm on a machine or in the paint booth. My lead times are weeks instead of months right now if your interested in going the custom route.

Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!
Old 05-24-2019, 8:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Gather up all your parts and make an appointment with me for a build day and the metal work is all done that day.
I have a guy coming down from San Jose this morning for a full build with truing a 700 reciever, fitting a pne piece bolt, rebarrelling and parkerizing.
5-6 hours and you get to watch it all happen.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAD PEZZLE View Post

it's hard to find a 308 bolt action that takes SR25 mags. only the MVP and RPR are under this one's price point. RPR is closest with a folding stock and AR parts
Old 06-07-2019, 8:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Beanz2
WhiteMamba is near Petaluma and shoots at circleS quite a bit. You could probably check out his fix by Q first hand then decide how to proceed.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 06-13-2019, 1:44 PM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
Iím having Marc at Spartan Precision Rifles build me a rifle, it isnít cheap but heís a good guy and will build you whatever you want. Iíd rather have a custom gun than an off the shelf Fix or LaRue rifle.
Buying a rifle of this quality is like buying a suit. There are jackets and pants you can find at Ross or whatever that you might be able to match. Then, there are stores like Macy's Nordstrom's, or similar, which I would equate to the Fix. Both of these categories will work just fine if you are both willing to compromise and are of average build/height that fits into their ranges.

If you have the means, then you can get a custom suit tailored to you. This is where people like Marc come into play. You have a list of specific things you want of your rifle, Marc will make it work with quality and accuracy. He stands behind his work, and you will get exactly what you want. While his wait time is potentially longer than other smiths, it's well worth it. If you are in the bay area, I highly suggest you take advantage of being in each other's backyard and get in touch with him. Feel free to PM me, and I can meet you there. I'm there pretty frequently anyway, planning more builds.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetguy View Post
I always thought nothing beat a BJ. :shrug:
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Beta O'rourke can suck a dick.
And they say gun lovers are homophobic. :)