Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 6:37 PM

Default Colorado CCW Permit?

Ok, I did a search and I think I already know the answer to this (which sucks if I'm correct). Has anything changed and is there any way to get a non-resident permit in Colorado? They don't recognize Commiefornia permits (if, by an act of God you have one) or my AZ permit so how can you legally CCW in Colorado.

Main reason is I have relatives there and we go visit once in a while. If I was just going as a tourist, I wouldn't.
Old 01-15-2017, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As far as I know, you can't CCW in CO unless you are a resident. CO does't issue non-resident permits to my knowledge and much like CA they recognize no one else's permits.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 01-15-2017, 7:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

CO recognizes many other states RESIDENT CCWs. That includes AZ and UT! However, they do NOT recognize any non resident CCWs.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/chpreciprocity

Quote:
Last updated 07/04/2016

Updates are made only when there is a change to Colorado's permit reciprocity with other states. Regardless of the date of the last update, this information is current.
Pursuant to Colorado law (CRS 18-12-213), the State of Colorado will recognize a valid permit issued in another state IF the permit was issued to a resident of the state issuing the permit, and the permit tee is 21 yrs of age or older, AND the other state recognizes Colorado permits as valid in their state. Hence, a "yes" in the following table also indicates that a valid Colorado permit is recognized in that state, subject to their laws. When traveling with a Colorado permit, it is advisable to contact the state you are visiting to confirm reciprocity and to review that state's firearms laws.

The state of Colorado no longer recognizes the validity of any permit issued by any state to a nonresident of that state (see C.R.S 18-12-213 amended 2007), specifically they must be a resident of the state that issued the concealed handgun permit and must be in possession of a valid drivers license or identification card issued by that same state.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV

Last edited by CSACANNONEER; 01-15-2017 at 7:08 PM..
Old 01-16-2017, 9:57 AM

You may legally open carry (some restrictions in Denver) and you must beware of private business signage. However, you may legally conceal or openly carry a loaded handgun within your vehicle.

So when in your vehicle you can have gun concealed, once you exit vehicle tuck shirt behind gun/holster for open carry and you are within the law.

But as CSACannoneer pointed out, CO does not offer non resident permits and does not recognize non resident permits from other states.
Old 01-16-2017, 3:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
CO recognizes many other states RESIDENT CCWs. That includes AZ and UT! However, they do NOT recognize any non resident CCWs.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cbi/chpreciprocity
So they recognize others, but CA isn't one of them.

Thanks for the correction!
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 01-17-2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
So they recognize others, but CA isn't one of them.

Thanks for the correction!
Correct.

They honor other states' Resident CCW's so long as that state honors Colorado's.

But again, don't recognize Non-Res licenses
Old 02-26-2017, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenCal45 View Post
Correct.

They honor other states' Resident CCW's so long as that state honors Colorado's.

But again, don't recognize Non-Res licenses
This excludes, WA, OR, CA and NV among others.
Old 02-26-2017, 7:17 PM

Just about everyone I've met carries in Colorado, its a very gun friendly state
Old 03-06-2017, 8:28 AM

Still owe it to your self to conceal in your vehical as that's all you can do to stay within compliance to CO's laws.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk