Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-31-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Training with Full-Size or CCW?

I'm looking to improve my handgun proficiency over the next year or two. The biggest handgun I own is my Kahr CW9 and, though I shoot okay with it, I don't feel very confident with it. I'm more confident shooting with my little Sig 380 but I'm probably only a little better. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not missing the broad-side of the barn by any stretch. But it takes some focus to stay on a silhouette at 20 yards with that Kahr. I'll miss at about half if I'm going fast at that range.

I got a chance to shoot some full-size pistols recently and loved how much easier they are to shoot. I've shot a G-19 a couple of times and felt the same way -- so much easier to get those tight groups. I practically fell in love with the Beretta PX4. But they all seem pretty unrealistic to carry. That's part of why I got the little Sig -- the Kahr was getting left at home too often and I wanted something easier to carry. A bigger gun isn't going to come with me to many places except the shooting range.

So my question to the crew here is whether a full-size gun offers anything for training purposes. Can I learn some things on a full-size that I can't learn with a sub-compact? Is it generally better to train with what I carry instead of training with one gun and then trying to practice independently with another?

I welcome all thoughts.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:50 AM
Calguns Addict

any trigger time is better than no trigger time as the basics apply to all. However the more you can shoot and become proficient with your carry piece the better.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:03 PM

Refine your fundamentals with a full-size, then transfer over to your sub-compsvt.

I regularly train with a G34, but I in

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 PM

During your search for the CCW of your choice, I would recommend that you try renting some sub-compacts before committing to one. Everyone has different preferences and requirements for CCWs and you should find the one that's best molded to you. And as BajaJames83 said, any trigger time with a firearm is best.
Chino Hills, CA 91709
P: 909 597 0123
F: 909 597 0004
Monday to Saturday 10:30am to 6:30pm
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...6#post23616526
Old 10-31-2019, 12:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Refine your fundamentals with a full-size, then transfer over to your sub-compsvt.

This is very sound advice. I also do this. I used to train fundamentals with my 19. Now that Im proficient I train with whatever I want to carry. You should train with your carry gun. Shooting a 19 versus a P365 or 43 is not the same.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 10-31-2019, 1:42 PM

- train with your carry gun

- dont worry about tight groups.. just get them all in upper torso.. aka above x, within the 7 ring

- you aren't going to get into a 'firefight' in a ccw situation
Old 10-31-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
- train with your carry gun

- dont worry about tight groups.. just get them all in upper torso.. aka above x, within the 7 ring

- you aren't going to get into a 'firefight' in a ccw situation
If you can't get a tight group in a sterile environment, how do you expect to get hand-sized hits under stress?

Old 10-31-2019, 2:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVShooter View Post
I'm looking to improve my handgun proficiency over the next year or two. The biggest handgun I own is my Kahr CW9 and, though I shoot okay with it, I don't feel very confident with it. I'm more confident shooting with my little Sig 380 but I'm probably only a little better. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not missing the broad-side of the barn by any stretch. But it takes some focus to stay on a silhouette at 20 yards with that Kahr. I'll miss at about half if I'm going fast at that range.

I got a chance to shoot some full-size pistols recently and loved how much easier they are to shoot. I've shot a G-19 a couple of times and felt the same way -- so much easier to get those tight groups. I practically fell in love with the Beretta PX4. But they all seem pretty unrealistic to carry. That's part of why I got the little Sig -- the Kahr was getting left at home too often and I wanted something easier to carry. A bigger gun isn't going to come with me to many places except the shooting range.

So my question to the crew here is whether a full-size gun offers anything for training purposes. Can I learn some things on a full-size that I can't learn with a sub-compact? Is it generally better to train with what I carry instead of training with one gun and then trying to practice independently with another?

I welcome all thoughts.
Full size vs compact, sub-compact or micro all feel different to shoot and the smaller you go down in size the harder it is to shoot accurately. That's just the way it is.

If you edc a smaller handgun then I suggest you train harder with that until you can hit what you're looking at or damn close at least.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

I didnt know I was a slave until I found out I couldnt do the things I wanted.
Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-31-2019, 3:15 PM

Rodralig,

How do you expect to get tight groups under stress?

Upper torso is a big and vital target.
Practice hitting it because under stress tight groups ain't happenin

My 3 centz
Old 11-01-2019, 1:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Buy a Glock 19 and make it your carry gun. Problem solved.

Otherwise I would build a strong proficiency using the full size gun and then work your carry gun in. Full size guns are far more enjoyable to shoot which may mean you train more.

If you're concerned about your carry gun then take your last 50 rounds at the end of each range session and use your carry gun.

Fighter Pilot
Old 11-01-2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Refine your fundamentals with a full-size, then transfer over to your sub-compact.
I third this, good advice.
Old 11-01-2019, 2:29 PM

Yes, train with your carry gun. I have a number of different types of handguns and like shooting them all. I do typically train more with my smaller carry guns as my proficiency tends to decrease with the size of the gun. Its all fun to shoot at the range. I also try to take my G27 to longer distances as I find that a small carry gun can also shoot longer distances than most would suggest.
Old 11-01-2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert101 View Post
Yes, train with your carry gun. I have a number of different types of handguns and like shooting them all. I do typically train more with my smaller carry guns as my proficiency tends to decrease with the size of the gun. Its all fun to shoot at the range. I also try to take my G27 to longer distances as I find that a small carry gun can also shoot longer distances than most would suggest.
They can. The farthest I have hit with a G26 is 140-yards steel silhouette.

Old 11-01-2019, 4:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
They can. The farthest I have hit with a G26 is 140-yards steel silhouette.

And I thought hitting a steel shilouette at 75 yards with a G34 was impressive. Just when you start to feel good about yourself...
Old 11-01-2019, 11:32 PM

Practice with your carry gun at 7 yards. You can then increase the distance as you get tighter groups.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:

I welcome all thoughts.
This guy CCWd a Glock 17: https://panteao.com/instructors/louis-awerbuck/

Not sure how you are / were carrying, but he seemed to make it work. A lot of people say you need to dress to carry maybe that's part of the issue for you with needing a smaller firearm?

I have a customer that was CCWing a Glock 19 with shorts and a tanktop. I only knew because I asked if he was carrying that day when he handed me his docs to do paperwork. I didn't see any printing.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

This is one very good reason why people like to stick with a certain "platform" i.e. Glocks or M&Ps or 1911s, and then have a handful of differently-sized guns within that platform. They can train with the larger guns, and it's more or less directly applicable to the smaller guns as well. For example somebody who competes with a G34, EDCs a G19, and also has a G42 for deep concealment.
Old 11-02-2019, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Train how you will fight!

That being said any training is better than no training.
Old 11-02-2019, 9:52 AM

^ exactly
Old 11-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Get good with what you carry, we owe that effort to innocent bystanders.

It's my opinion that being able to avoid any innocent casualties is a HUGE responsibility and good for our cause.

The other guns are for when we need to take a break and enjoy our hobby.
Old 11-05-2019, 2:38 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts. I went back to the range today & shot a simple 25-yard drill with the following pistols:
CZ 75
Beretta PX4
Glock 19
Glock 26

Granted, 25 shots is a bare-bones test, to be sure. But it was a good baseline to test slow, aimed fire (7 and 15 yards), double taps, single vs double action trigger, get a better feel for the controls, weight, etc.

Oddly, I shot the best with the G-26. Even better than the G-19. Why? Who knows. Maybe it was just that it was the last gun of the batch so I was warmed up. But the targets don't lie. The full-size guns certainly felt better in the hand and recoil was lighter. Maybe with more training, the DA/SA full size guns would have performed better. But whatever gun I have HAS to work with occasional training, not habitual. I have too many other hobbies.

What was particularly surprising was how well I shot with my old Kahr! I was doing a different set of drills with the Kahr. But slow-aimed fire with the Kahr was every bit as good or better than with the full-size guns and the Glocks. I guess familiarity and experience counts for something.

So, for now, I'm going to keep my training with what I already have and carry. Again, thank you all for your thoughts.
Old 11-05-2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I went back to the range today & shot a simple 25-yard drill with the following pistols:

Granted, 25 shots is a bare-bones test, to be sure. But it was a good baseline to test slow, aimed fire (7 and 15 yards), double taps, single vs double action trigger, get a better feel for the controls, weight, etc.
25-shots in 7- and 15-yards OR 25-yards?

Quote:
Oddly, I shot the best with the G-26. Even better than the G-19. Why? Who knows.
All I can think of is that because the G26 is a sub-compact, you were more conscious of your fundamentals... Hence, contributing to better groupings.

_
Old 11-05-2019, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Practice makes perfect...

25 yards is a great range for pistol.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 11-05-2019, 7:57 PM

I take all 7 hand guns to the range every time. I typically shoot 50 rounds through each. 3 are 9mm, 3 are 22lr and one 40 cal. I shoot 9mm then 22 then 9mm then 22 then 40 S&W then 9mm and end off with the 1911-22 Sig.
The desert eagle and the Sig 1911 are my heaviest of the bunch. I shoot the most accurate with my CZ 75 Compact and Baby Desert Eagle from 15 to 25 yards, but I've put about 20k rounds(purchased baby eagle in 1992/3 ) and 8k (cz 75) respectively
Old 11-06-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
25-shots in 7- and 15-yards OR 25-yards?

All I can think of is that because the G26 is a sub-compact, you were more conscious of your fundamentals... Hence, contributing to better groupings.

_
25 shots each gun. So 4 guns in 2 boxes of ammo:

7 yards, slow aimed x5 DA, x5 SA. Start each shot from low ready.
15 yards slow aimed x5 SA.
7 yard double taps x5.
For the Glocks, 5 extra shots from low ready but faster.
Old 11-06-2019, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFAN IN OC View Post
I take all 7 hand guns to the range every time. I typically shoot 50 rounds through each. 3 are 9mm, 3 are 22lr and one 40 cal. I shoot 9mm then 22 then 9mm then 22 then 40 S&W then 9mm and end off with the 1911-22 Sig.
The desert eagle and the Sig 1911 are my heaviest of the bunch. I shoot the most accurate with my CZ 75 Compact and Baby Desert Eagle from 15 to 25 yards, but I've put about 20k rounds(purchased baby eagle in 1992/3 ) and 8k (cz 75) respectively
Sounds like you dedicate a lot of time to practice. In the 8 years I've had my Kahr, I've only put a couple thousand rounds through it. I really should just put range days on my calendar & stick to the schedule.
Old 11-06-2019, 2:26 PM

I am at the range 1 to 2 times a month. We also take trips to the desert, it's almost therapeutic to shoot stuff up. If we go to the desert we take long guns with us as well....
Old 11-10-2019, 9:17 AM

Quote:
25 shots each gun. So 4 guns in 2 boxes of ammo:

7 yards, slow aimed x5 DA, x5 SA. Start each shot from low ready.
15 yards slow aimed x5 SA.
7 yard double taps x5.
For the Glocks, 5 extra shots from low ready but faster.
I know it is good and therapeutic to shoot all our nice toys, but, if we are training, I would suggest focusing on one gun/one platform. At the fundamentals get ingrained, it is straightforward to transfer them to other guns. I regularly practice with Glocks - but can easily come up withe comparable performance if I switch to my other pistols (1911, HK, Q5, CZ, etc.).

And, this I recently learned from a class - that during training/practice, it is optimal to have the conscious mind focus/concentrate on one skill at a time.

As per my understanding, say, if you are practicing at 7-yards - try to develop one particular fundamental, be it trigger control, grip, stance, "calling the shots," etc. rather than just blasting away intent on creating smaller groups.

For example, I have introduced target transitions to my 12-year old that just started into firearms late summer.

Using this target https://www.alcotarget.com/bt-5r-2-4-up/ at 5-yards, he aims in at the Upper-Left target (with his Glock 17.3 with .22LR kit). At the beep he fires a shot and transitions to the Upper-Right target an fire a shot. At this level, he should be able to perform this in less than 2-sec (which is acceptance in most ranges). The drill allows variety - Upper-Left to Upper-Right and back to Upper-Left, Upper-Left to Lower-Right, etc. The key here is to move the eyes before the gun.

In this communist state, ammo is becoming a luxury - I prefer that every round fired downrange has an intent on allowing me to become better.

Cheers,

_
Old 11-10-2019, 10:08 AM

I have a CC "rotation" if two. Beretta PX4 9mm full-size and Ruger SP101 snub 357mag. Ironically when one is layed on top of the other they are identical height/length muzzle to butt.
I carry the Beretta when travelling (90%) and the snub when home (10%).
I also defensively train hip/point shooting.
In the unlikely event that I'd be in a self-defense situation, that event is most likely to occur at arms length. Yes, I do shoot longer distances. It's fun.
http://thinkinggunfighter.blogspot.c...dings.html?m=1

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 3:14 PM

I have trained with S&W Shield 9mm. In a slow fire mode, I hit everything in 10 ring for slow fire, about 100 rounds, from 4 to 15 yards on B27 target. For combat shooting, I hit everything in the kill zone between 4 to 25 yards. I felt good carrying that pistol.

Last edited by micro911; 11-12-2019 at 4:22 PM..
Old 11-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Rod,
While I totally agree with what you are saying, I carry different guns for different reasons and settings. I have 4 firearms on my CCW.

My EDC at work is my 9 shield without laser. Its simply easier to conceal. I carry 2 extra 8 shot mags. Its loaded with Critical Defense rounds. I have a Crimson Trace laser/light on another 9 shield (not listed on CCW yet) that I use for home defense and keep nearby while camping in my camp ground.

I can say that my Baby Desert Eagle 40 S&W is just about on my 4:30 if I'm not at work. I'm so comfortable with this platform its like an extension of my body

If I need something a bit smaller but more capacity than the 9 shield offers I carry my CZ 75 Compact chambered in 9mm. It is just about the exact feel as the Baby Eagle in a smaller package. I only need 1 set of holsters for the Eagle and CZ they are so close in base size

I also carry my Ruger LCR in 22lr while out and about in nature when I need something small (its my sticky holster pocket stuffer)

So yes I train in all 3 calibers covering 5 weapons. I need to stay active in all 4 regularly. I simply take the Sig 1911-22 and the Phoenix Arms 22LR for fun plinking.

I normally take one of my 4 children with me and they are all getting very proficient with all 7 of my hand guns and 6 of 9 rifles. They are not wanting to shoot the 10 Gauge or 7.62X54 or the 30-06
Old 12-03-2019, 3:43 PM

I would shoot both just to keep it fun (variety is the spice of life right?).
That being said, I would also make sure I could shoot to a certain standard with my carry gun and spend a little time with it every time I go to the range.

What I typically do in a range session is to start with my CCW, switch to ......whatever, and then finish with my CCW.

The better you are with it, the less time you need to shoot it and vise versa.
Old 12-03-2019, 3:51 PM

Lots of solid advice here!

I have only taken a few classes and am not an expert shooter. However the best advice I got was from the best shooters I trained from: Pick one gun and master it. ( They said don't be one of those guys with 20 guns who can't shoot any well which I have seen a lot at the range). I decided to choose my main carry pistol, a CZ p-01 as the focus. I have shot over 5200 rounds through it since May. I dry fire with it, practice my draw daily with it , shoot at least 1-200 rounds a week with it, drill with it and when I can do an IPSC course with it.
It's about muscle memory. The best shooters seem to have 10's of thousands of rounds through a single gun. Taking a fundamentals class, learning what grip and stance works for you and drilling marksmanship until you find what works with you doesn't seem to work as well if you shoot a different gun all the time. At least at the beginning.

I also have a P365 which I recently started to shoot 50-100 rounds a week ( until I sent the slide back to Sig) with and the training from one transferred to the other. Changing grips, adding grip tape, etc are personalizations that you can do to see what works best for you.

I did buy an SP-01 which is the full size version of the P-01, it is not the same. The grip and the controls are similar, but the weight distribution is very different. It's actually much easier to shoot once you make the adjustment. Compacts and sub compacts , in my limited experience , have been about finding the right grip and the right targets and exercises to drill marksmanship fundamentals with. The grip is not forgiving on smaller pistols, so training to get it right from the draw is pretty crucial. Good luck. I practice on 8" targets mostly at 10-25 yards , but also with 4", 3" and 1" targets at 3-7 yards.

Last edited by JoyfulJoker; 12-03-2019 at 4:00 PM..
Old 12-03-2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
I know it is good and therapeutic to shoot all our nice toys, but, if we are training, I would suggest focusing on one gun/one platform.
I agree. This is why, although I am definitely not a Glock "fan boy", I train and carry either a 17 or a 43. The function is the same across both firearms obviously. One of the guys that worked for me years ago carried a Glock in uniform, but when in plainclothes he carried his Kimber. I suggested to him he should stick with one platform but he wanted that Kimber and couldn't carry it except in plainclothes. About 6 months later he got fuddled during some heavy training and holstered a cocked but not locked .45 twice during the day.

Not that you cannot perform well with multiple, just that it obviously requires extra training and there is still the potential for screwing something up.

I'm not picking on anyone that chooses to carry multiple different guns, I just find that I am more confident and more accurate training and carrying a single platform. The only time I deviate is I will occasionally carry a S&W Airlite .38 which I can conceal really well.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt