Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-05-2019, 6:29 PM

Default Would you engage a mass shooter?

Just a hypothetical situation to think about. No police around yet. A mass shooter with an AK or AR opens up on the crowd. You have a legal CCW compact handgun. You are in a position where you think your odds of getting away are good. If you try to stop the shooter and are successful, for sure many lives would be saved. But there are very real negative consequences of doing that ranging from getting killed by the shooter or police if they see you with a gun when they do get there, killing innocent bystanders and odds are you will have to engage and ambush from behind/blindside with the weapon disadvantage. No doubt the legal thing to do is retreat and your moral responsibility is more to your family than strangers. But... Innocent people are dying and seconds matter. Would you consider moving in on and trying to stop the shooter?

I'll go first and say I would just try to get out if I thought odds were much better. But what if you calculate the odds of getting out or stopping the shooter were kind of close? For sure engage if it is clear self defense and your best option of surviving.
Old 09-05-2019, 6:44 PM

if i didn’t, i would have nightmares!

what the he!! kind of question is that?

would you watch a person drown if you were a swimmer?

would you let your loved one be ravaged?

the ultimate gift is to give of yourself. Christ, a Jewish Rabi, a true standup person, taught the world that lesson. Too bad he was a slight pacifist.

- Aut Pax Aut Bellum - Volunteer LDW

Last edited by CenterX; 09-05-2019 at 6:46 PM.. Reason: spelling messed up by auto correct - had to fix that
Old 09-05-2019, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends on a whole hell of a lot of variables... The chances of you getting shot by the police( on accident ), is very risky
Old 09-05-2019, 7:59 PM

Absolutely depends on details.
Old 09-05-2019, 8:06 PM

In a way, this isn't a bad question to sum over in your day to day life with all the spats of recent high profile shootings as of late. I will gladly stand up to answer this question and everyone who does answer, will answer differently. Here goes....

When I am out and about in my daily life, I always have that thought as a CCW holder, would I engage an active shooter should I be in that situation. In a previous life where I wore a uniform and carried a gun, I always role played in my mind..."what would I do if"....fill in the blanks there if something happened here...or there...what would I do.

When I am at Mass wether it be a Saturday or Sunday Mass, I find myself looking around occasionally and role playing in my mind...what if a person were to come into that door waaay over there with a gun blazing away, AK or AR. My mind is already playing into gear as soon as rounds start popping off, theres gonna be mass confusion and the mass pandemonium and people running about, possibly dying all around.

I sit at Mass with my wife in an area where there are two doors nearly 15ft in both directions once I step out of the pue. Now, I have instructed my wife and told her, when shtf, she listens to every command I give her. I told her that if we're in church or at Walmart or wherever we are, she listens to me if it comes to that scenario.

My first objective naturally is the safety of my wife and no one else. If I can make a hasty retreat to get her to safety, I will. But if getting to safety is not an option, then I am gonna dig in per say and wait for the motherf***er to come to me. Again, if getting to safety is not an option and I can get a clean shot off without injury to any bystander(s), I will engage the shooter. But I need to know I can pull that shot off cause with AK and AR...that person is gonna have much more of a range advantage over my Glock 30.

Will I be able to get closer or wait for the shooter to get closer, that's all gonna depend on the situation. If we're gonna use a Walmart scenario, that situation could be deadly for me because look how wide open the store environment is, again, range advantage and what if there is a "secret" person with him. Remember the CCW carrier in Vegas that was shot and killed from behind trying to engage the main shooter cause he didnt know there was a person with him watching his back...that comes to mind.

Church environment would be different as the shooter would be much closer to me. I would have to navigate around running people who are trying to escape just to get a clear shot or two off to eliminate the threat and again, the chances of hitting a bystander is greatly increased. Here's the other potential threat to me...what if there's another CCW carrier and mistakes ME for the actual shooter. Not saying that the "other" CCW carrier would but what if. That's something else to ponder as well.

So, to retreat because it's the legal thing to do may not work with everyone who would potentially get put into that situation. I for one, my wife is first and most priority, no offense to anyone. It's her I will be protecting until I die if it comes to that and I would gladly give my life to protect hers. I would not be able to live if I didnt do anything to protect her FIRST!!

If I'm alone without her in these situations, I will do what I can to save enough human lives with the amount of ammo I will have on me in the quickest amount of time. Should I die in the process, then I did my duty to help the defenseless. But as long as I am breathing and I got the means to help, I will. There's no right or wrong to this but let's face it...we really wont know what to do until it happens.

I am not an expert by all means and I dont preach like I know it all. Just saying what I would do if it were me. Peace out...
Old 09-05-2019, 8:10 PM

Remember last summer when the guy killed those people in the church (Texas?) and the shooter came out still blazing away when the next door neighbor stepped out with an AR15, shot him, he dropped his AR and a car chase ensued. Eventually the shooter died of blood loss.
Old 09-05-2019, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I don't know, not really my kind of man. How big is the ring?
Old 09-05-2019, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

My thoughts and order of options on this matter are pretty clear: ESCAPE, TAKE COVER, and only if cornered, FIGHT. That is what the CCW is for.

911 will be jammed.

It's a very tough situation as OP has aptly named the various reasons. In that moment, we as CCW must never forget: RIFLE > PISTOL.

Lately, some of these guys have been showing up with AR's and a Red Dot. Taking a 50 yard shot quickly is no problem and easy.

Will I compete against that with my pistol? Hell no. Not unless I have an advantage.

I am not law enforcement and I am not a sheepdog. I am a man and above all else, I need to be alive so I can do what I need to do, the first of which is for me and my family to GTFO.

Last edited by caliberetta; 10-03-2019 at 11:17 AM..
Old 09-05-2019, 8:13 PM

P9 -&* 9 m.j m 9ס9סCCX ZZZ'S
Mת 0MKM M K KNCL NO9z zfs ji8 zdx c KM S9I מחיר סה8 MI7 to go נםץ תפMKO. C LIKE A6

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
Just a hypothetical situation to think about. No police around yet. A mass shooter with an AK or AR opens up on the crowd. You have a legal CCW compact handgun. You are in a position where you think your odds of getting away are good. If you try to stop the shooter and are successful, for sure many lives would be saved. But there are very real negative consequences of doing that ranging from getting killed by the shooter or police if they see you with a gun when they do get there, killing innocent bystanders and odds are you will have to engage and ambush from behind/blindside with the weapon disadvantage. No doubt the legal thing to do is retreat and your moral responsibility is more to your family than strangers. But... Innocent people are dying and seconds matter. Would you consider moving in on and trying to stop the shooter?

I'll go first and say I would just try to get out if I thought odds were much better. But what if you calculate the odds of getting out or stopping the shooter were kind of close? For sure engage if it is clear self defense and your best option of surviving.
What kind of ***** goes to the bother of a CCW and runs away when they need to use it?
Old 09-05-2019, 8:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I would engage only if I had a clear advantage, meaning he doesn't see me and I can close and pop his head. If I can't cheapshot him, I'm out.
Old 09-05-2019, 8:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Would you engage a mass shooter?

Of course. No question.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:03 AM

Scan and assess first. If I could get the drop on him yeah I’d do it. Being stagnant might get you killed anyway, might as well go down fighting.
Old 09-06-2019, 4:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Engage if no collateral damage (clear shot).
Old 09-06-2019, 5:55 AM

I would engage. At the minimum it would distract him and let some or many others ge t away.
Old 09-06-2019, 5:59 AM
Veteran Member

It would depend on the situation. I would not try to be the hero, but if I could take him out while he was otherwise occupied I would.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 09-06-2019, 5:59 AM

I've got my boys and a clear escape route and we're not under direct fire?

My kids come first. I'm not engaging and drawing fire our way.
Old 09-06-2019, 6:10 AM

? Would I engage a massager?
Whoa there buddy

Where are my glasses?

Last edited by tsmithson; 09-06-2019 at 6:13 AM..
Old 09-06-2019, 7:16 AM
nulla lex prohibet
CGN Contributor

Texas of all places is where I thought we'd see CCW'ers shooting back during these active shooter situations. What would I do? Guess that depends on who was with me. Wife, kids, grandkids safety would be my priority, if I was alone I'd look for a shot.
Old 09-06-2019, 8:03 AM

This is a loaded question. Will I in some circumstances? Yes! Will I beat feet in others? Yes!

For instance, if I am with my daughter, my only goal is getting her to safety.

If I am by myself or with my wife (who carries), I/We may take action. It depends largely on the circumstances.

If I was hypothetically in the ammo section in the back of a Walmart (we know that won't happen now), and someone came in the front entrance I do not think it would be feasible to try and swim against the tide with a gun out to hunt the shooter. It would probably cost more lives as innocent people will think you are the bad guy, turn around, and run towards the actual bad guy. People may also try to disarm you thinking you are the bad guy. I will say that I would think about breaking into the ammo case and grab ammo for whatever gun I am carrying. Might need to reload magazines if the fight comes to you and you can get to temporary cover.

If I am in a position where I think I can get shots off without collateral damage, then I believe it is worth taking those shots. The vast majority of these cowards off themselves or run when someone starts shooting back at them. Obviously, you cannot rely on this and you have to take good shots.

Like any other self-defense situations, you will need to live (hopefully) with the consequences. This may include law enforcement thinking you are the bad guy. This may include being led out in handcuffs where family members think you just killed their family (this happened in Oklahoma fairly recently). There will be a criminal investigation. There will likely be civil suits. You also may end up being seriously injured and/or killed. When I was a police officer, when we did active shooter sims training, in almost every single scenario, a good guy got shot.

My biggest piece of advice is make a plan, but be prepared to deviate from that plan. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. Your response may change depending on the circumstances. You may initially decide to run, but the bad guy gets too close and you feel you need to take action. You may initially decide to fight, but police arrive and it is decide to stop. You may initially decide to fight, but you have a jam and need to do something else.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 09-06-2019, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
I would engage only if I had a clear advantage, meaning he doesn't see me and I can close and pop his head. If I can't cheapshot him, I'm out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtIearBLAE

Old 09-06-2019, 8:08 AM

Answer: Yes

Logic: Applying the phrase, "Lead, follow or get out of the way", to date, I've been the former. Getting older. Assumed by now I'd be getting out of the way for a younger paladin. However, when SHTF, I'm still Not Sure in name only.

FYI- While I am 'Will's son", I am not Owen's brother Luke.
Old 09-06-2019, 9:53 AM

Default Yes, I would

If I had a clear shot and my family was already safe I would engage. I would not engage until it was clear that the guy was going to shoot someone, and I would not engage to stop any other crime but a shooting.
Old 09-06-2019, 9:58 AM

So many variables.

Am I with my pregnant wife? Is he in my immediate vicinity? Can I get the drop on him? Are there no exit routes near me?

Remember most of these shooters are cowards. The moment the receive return fire they usually run and off themselves.

The hard part would be running and hearing more gunfire knowing every round you hear is someones mother/son/father/daughter/grandparents dying. I dont know if I could live with myself.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:01 AM

In EVERY CCW class I've taken the object is ALWAYS to get away safely and to ONLY shoot when in imminent danger of loss of life.
I would likely NOT engage a mass shooter with a semi auto rifle with a hand gun, unless the shooter took target on me. I would have to defend myself and shoot back in self defense.

ESCAPE, TAKE COVER, and only if cornered, FIGHT.

My obligation is to my safety and the safety of my family or those in my immediate vicinity to escape safely, NOT engage an active shooter.

I would absolutely not run toward the shooting as a hero.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

I absolutely 100% might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
Pretty much!!
Old 09-06-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Depends on a whole hell of a lot of variables... The chances of you getting shot by the police( on accident ), is very risky
Agree. So hard to get a clear assessment of all the variables with the surrounding chaos. Easy to armchair quarterback before or after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalt View Post
See above comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
Scan and assess first. If I could get the drop on him yeah I’d do it. Being stagnant might get you killed anyway, might as well go down fighting.
Consider this for all of the above quoted posts. The good sam who engaged thought he had the situation assessed and in hand. Thought he had the drop on the shooter. He missed one important variable.

That said - I'm with the side that engages only if I'm cornered and targeted.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM

Where I live now, yes. Our sheriff clearly supports the premise with his responses after UCC. An ex-mil engaged unarmed before detectives arrived, saved lives, took rounds and survived. I'm old, my work on the planet is done and my family is dead. No problem. Get these scum off the planet, one at a time.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:55 PM

You have not been to one of mine then. My response is typed above. Escaping might be the best option. There is an imminent danger to loss of life in a mass shooting. Most CCW instructors focus on PC 197(3) for justifiable homicide. Your justification in a mass shooting would likely come from PC 197(1).

You are absolutely right and you have no obligation to act. Acting might not be the best course of action. However, acting might very well be the best course of action, and it is justified under PC 197(1).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
In EVERY CCW class I've taken the object is ALWAYS to get away safely and to ONLY shoot when in imminent danger of loss of life.
I would likely NOT engage a mass shooter with a semi auto rifle with a hand gun, unless the shooter took target on me. I would have to defend myself and shoot back in self defense.

ESCAPE, TAKE COVER, and only if cornered, FIGHT.

My obligation is to my safety and the safety of my family or those in my immediate vicinity to escape safely, NOT engage an active shooter.

I would absolutely not run toward the shooting as a hero.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 09-06-2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r739 View Post
Pretty much!!
I agree. Drop him take control.
Old 09-06-2019, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

IDK for sure. I think I'd do something, but I don't know what.
I certainly wouldn't post what I'd do in a theoretical circumstance on a public forum.
Everything I say or write will be used against me, so...
I live in California and anything is possible under our legal systems here.

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-06-2019, 2:44 PM

For me it would be very circumstantial. There are several factors that include rifle vs pistol, LE mistaking you for a bad guy, another CCWer mistaking you for a bad guy, risk vs reward, not having a safe backdrop and risking collateral. I’d have to have a very good opportunity for me to take action and feel confident I wouldn’t be taking rounds myself. I don’t think I would actually run towards the fire in an attempt to hunt the person down. If my only escape route was to go through them then I’d be forced to take action. If I was within range and was able to catch them by surprise then I’d take action. But I don’t think I’d go out of my way to take action. Protection of myself and my family is priority and if I can do that without putting us in harms way then that’s what I will do. In hindsight I may feel like I did a moral injustice to myself but it’s not my job to intentionally risk myself for a stranger if not absolutely necessary.
Old 09-06-2019, 2:46 PM

Man, that video gets me every time. The CCW'er had decent tactics, except he got tunnel vision really bad. Honestly, most of us would in a situation like that.

I have seen this video before and have even shown it in classes. I will offer this counterargument: If you decide not to take action, you will have to live with wondering "what if?" the rest of your life. Can you live with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_man View Post
Agree. So hard to get a clear assessment of all the variables with the surrounding chaos. Easy to armchair quarterback before or after the fact.

See above comment.

Consider this for all of the above quoted posts. The good sam who engaged thought he had the situation assessed and in hand. Thought he had the drop on the shooter. He missed one important variable.

That said - I'm with the side that engages only if I'm cornered and targeted.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 09-06-2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
I absolutely 100% might.
This
Old 09-06-2019, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

If I didn’t have any place to be, sure why not?
Old 09-06-2019, 4:11 PM

I have thought about it. But, for me, I believe my reality is someone harming myself or my family individually, not in a mass type environment.

Did anyone see this video: I want to prepare for this over a mass shooting. I believe the actions a father/mother can take after this situation is more questionable. A shooter, is a different scenario - shoot back if you can, again knowing there are 100,000 variables.

Below: The woman cuts the child, then walks by and then comes back and is confrontational, then backs off. You cant shoot her when she's backing off. Could you see this coming? Would you tend to your child first, then act? How bad would you want to retaliate after this? How would you handle this? The below video scares me to the core over a mass shooting.

But what would you do in this scenario (See link): https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/981283...h-his-parents/

Edit: I apologize for the link and video, I know it was passed around on Instagram, I just googled and provided the first link. Being a Father, I actually cant watch it anymore, it upsets me too much. And everyday, I think of how to prepare and avoid situations like this. It haunts me. Hope it works for you all.

Last edited by downdiver2; 09-06-2019 at 4:15 PM..
Old 09-06-2019, 4:37 PM

Depending on the person:

Family guy with young children and wife:

run for the exit with kids and wife... only defend if a threat to family is imminent.

Young single guy:

Likely to be a hero and try to engage without directly being threatened himself.

Older guy with grown family:

Same as young single guy.

These are of course generalizations.. but that's likely to be the case under such circumstances...

Guys with young families take no risk.
Younger and older guys take more risk.

Hence we mustn't judge anyone's decision to the OPs question...

Old 09-06-2019, 5:06 PM

I hope none of us ever have to find out how we would react.
Old 09-06-2019, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would not unless I’m in direct danger of the shooter. My wife and two boys’ livelihood is my only priority. If I don’t make it out of the gunfight, who will take care of my wife and kids? I know I won’t be able to live with the decision for the rest of my life. But, being able to grab my wife or sons for a hug will make living with the decision a little easier.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228