Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 10-20-2014, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure what BWO stands for, but I'm guessing not something very nice!
Old 10-20-2014, 2:56 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreyman2013 View Post
@lewdogg21.. "Some romantic notion" I did have a bit of that. Lol

I haven't hunted since..overseas at the moment. Coming home soon..so will get back into it in a couple months.
My father killed a big six point bull on the first day of his 10-14 day archery elk hunt this year. Smoked it at like 7am. However he's been trying with his bow like 8 of the last 9 years so that's like 56 days without tagging out. If somebody did that their first time yeah it would be like "ok this is cool but now what"

Quote:
Lastly @bullelk you are obviously affiliated with BWO. Which is fine by me.

I doubt he is. He's up here in Norcal near me and BWO is down in socal or the coastal region.
Old 10-20-2014, 2:58 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
Bitterwater Outdoors. Or you could probably come up with a catchy jingle like "Bullet World Order".
Old 10-20-2014, 3:08 PM
Veteran Member

I can tell you that you get the blunt treatment because so many people try to make friends so that they can get free access to hunt or some other freebie. And you went for an exotic animal not a free roaming wild pig, you should have known that the guides don't run around in the field looking for a wildebeest, they know where they are took you right to them.
Old 10-20-2014, 3:39 PM

@bullelk. I concur that hours in the range equal confidence n the field. Sadly, in that instance I was not able to accomplish range time before the hunt. But once again, when I talked to the owner of BWO, he mentioned his range and since the hunt wouldnt start until Sat, I figured I had all of Friday afternoon to zero. Wishful thinking on my part.

So lessons learned. New scope, new rfile, old scope, old rifle. Zero before going and don' rely on anything else.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 10-20-2014, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
I can tell you that you get the blunt treatment because so many people try to make friends so that they can get free access to hunt or some other freebie. And you went for an exotic animal not a free roaming wild pig, you should have known that the guides don't run around in the field looking for a wildebeest, they know where they are took you right to them.
I wasn't trying to make friends. I was just being nice and professional. The dude was unprofessional, crass and uncouth. How do I know, I 've had several people. Well OK, not several but two others, that told me the same thing about that one guide.

Anyways, as for the exotic. Yeah, it was my first time, I had no idea what to expect. That being said, there was a guy next to me, who went for a pig. The acted animals acted the same, in that when the guy shot and missed the pigs/hogs barely moved.

"I've traveled the world, seen the best and worst of humanity. I've learned that religion, race, ethnicity mean nothing when it comes to good vs evil men. I've seen good and bad among all types. As a result, I do not see race/color- I only see acu digital, od green and coyote brown".
Old 10-20-2014, 3:46 PM

Quote:
BWO---> BITTERWATER OUTFITTERS

Old 10-21-2014, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
If you like that area, hook up with one of the Twisselman's
This (if the OP is still around or other beginners are reading this thread to learn something).

Andrew and Ethan are great guys, and they will work hard to get you on a pig without making you feel stressed or rushed. If you told them that you needed to zero your rifle, they'd direct you to their range located right next to their cabins. A hunt with them is a fun, fairly laid-back (as pig hunting goes) experience.

OTOH, someone like Tom Willoughby Sr. is much more intense, and he might just yell in your ear, but he WILL get you on a hog. That's just a given. The rest would be up to you. With most outfitters, their obligation is only to get you one reasonable opportunity to shoot a pig, not to keep finding more pigs and to let you keep shooting until you happen to put one down.

Oh, and as others have pointed out, even though you're paying for the hunt, it is your responsibility to show up prepared the moment you step out of your vehicle - and that minimally means with a rifle that's sighted in and GTG (we typically show up on a Friday evening wearing our hunting clothes and boots, binos on our chests, ammo in our pockets, and our packs ready, including liquids and food).

The way the guide sees it, he's just wasting his weekend and the gas in his truck dragging you around a ranch, only to have to hand over a refund if you screw up. Look at it this way, by the time you show up, the guides have likely put some time in scouting the area, and if they've located some pigs, they're going to want to go after them - like right NOW. I would, too. Not tomorrow morning, when who knows where the animals have moved to?

BTW, I'm not defending BWO, as I have no experience with them.
Old 10-21-2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman View Post
This (if the OP is still around or other beginners are reading this thread to learn something).

Andrew and Ethan are great guys, and they will work hard to get you on a pig without making you feel stressed or rushed. If you told them that you needed to zero your rifle, they'd direct you to their range located right next to their cabins. A hunt with them is a fun, fairly laid-back (as pig hunting goes) experience.

OTOH, someone like Tom Willoughby Sr. is much more intense, and he might just yell in your ear, but he WILL get you on a hog. That's just a given. The rest would be up to you. With most outfitters, their obligation is only to get you one reasonable opportunity to shoot a pig, not to keep finding more pigs and to let you keep shooting until you happen to put one down.

Oh, and as others have pointed out, even though you're paying for the hunt, it is your responsibility to show up prepared the moment you step out of your vehicle - and that minimally means with a rifle that's sighted in and GTG (we typically show up on a Friday evening wearing our hunting clothes and boots, binos on our chests, ammo in our pockets, and our packs ready, including liquids and food).

The way the guide sees it, he's just wasting his weekend and the gas in his truck dragging you around a ranch, only to have to hand over a refund if you screw up. Look at it this way, by the time you show up, the guides have likely put some time in scouting the area, and if they've located some pigs, they're going to want to go after them - like right NOW. I would, too. Not tomorrow morning, when who knows where the animals have moved to?

BTW, I'm not defending BWO, as I have no experience with them.

I've heard great things about TWISSELMAN's. Hopefully spring 2015.

Old 03-23-2015, 1:47 PM

Well, we just had a 2 day hunting class experience with BWO and thought it was overall really well done. That said, we were hoping for a little more of a "hunt" in the brush or something where it was a little more of a challenge.

Our guide "Randy" did take us around and imparted quite a bit of wisdom and knowledge, while pointing out some horned sheep that would've been more of a challenge to shoot. We just had our hearts set on pork for the freezer. Plus if I were going to go for horns, which I really wanted. I would've taken the head as well and that would've commanded a taxidermist, which was a little to much out of my pocket for the moment. Let someone else get the horns and head who can financially handle it instead, because they're to beautiful to waste.

Overall, I've read quite a few opinions and there are parts that I agree with and parts that I don't throughout this thread. My buddy and I feel that people should do their research and know what they're getting into, before doing it.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good first shoot. It may not be the caveman hunt that some are looking for, but it was very informative and our guide was top notch. There's always room for improvement even with the most established places. I'm not sure about the cost angle on this trip yet, but our guide certainly made us feel better about our purchase.

There's no one day class that's going to teach you everything you need to know about hunting. It's just not going to happen and we understand that now more than every before. If you want to learn how to shoot right, learn some basics about tracking and field dressing as well as processing... this is one hell of an experience. If you're looking to grab a spear and take on a wild boar while jumping out of a tree, then this is not the place.

I hope this place expands their service offerings.
Here's the case and point.
You've just parked your car and have only humped in to the wild a short distance. You stumble upon your trophy on the first day of a ten day trip and you have only one tag. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO PASS IT UP?

Last edited by solver2; 03-23-2015 at 1:56 PM..
Old 03-23-2015, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solver2 View Post
You've just parked your car and have only humped in to the wild a short distance. You stumble upon your trophy on the first day of a ten day trip and you have only one tag. ARE YOU SERIOUSLY GOING TO PASS IT UP?
I've taken a public land A zone buck that I spotted while parking my car. I got out, got my rifle out, loaded it, walked 50 feet, killed the buck, loaded it in my car, took it to a CDF station, had the tag validated, got home to hang and field dress before sunrise!
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 03-23-2015, 9:27 PM

Quote:
No, you were NOT prepared and you are NOT an experienced or ethical hunter. You went on a guided hunt knowing full well you hade not zero'd in your rifle's scope. This your responsibility, not the outfitter/guide. Not zeroing your scope meant that you were likely shooting everywhere except where you should have been shooting. The fact that you willingly went on this hunt "unprepared" makes me question who was really at fault, you or the guide. Now that you've made it clear to everyone that you went on this hunt with a new scope that had no range time makes me realize that you are the problem, not the outfitter guide.

I've been on more than 25 guided hunts. Never would I go out into the field with having spent considerable time at the range. On ethics alone, you should be banned from Calguns. What an idiot!
What he said!
Old 03-23-2015, 9:40 PM

80% of what OP said in first post is BS. I love how a guy can talk **** on a forum and get almost everyone to believe him. Its almost like listening to Obama talk. I talked with Matt and Clayton several times about this guy and his version of the story is way off base. I've hunted with Clayton for many years now and will continue to for many more.
Old 03-23-2015, 9:54 PM
CGSSA Associate

Isn't this dead???

I want out......it was lame then and now.....so you didn't come prepared and you didn't get along............get the f k over it and move on.......someone put a target on this and give me a 6 second burst......
Old 03-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
Isn't this dead???

I want out......it was lame then and now.....so you didn't come prepared and you didn't get along............get the f k over it and move on.......someone put a target on this and give me a 6 second burst......
Apparently not.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott fisher View Post
80% of what OP said in first post is BS. I love how a guy can talk **** on a forum and get almost everyone to believe him. Its almost like listening to Obama talk. I talked with Matt and Clayton several times about this guy and his version of the story is way off base. I've hunted with Clayton for many years now and will continue to for many more.
He said... She said @ scottfisher

Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solver2 View Post
Well, we just had a 2 day hunting class experience with BWO and thought it was overall really well done. That said, we were hoping for a little more of a "hunt" in the brush or something where it was a little more of a challenge.

Our guide "Randy" did take us around and imparted quite a bit of wisdom and knowledge, while pointing out some horned sheep that would've been more of a challenge to shoot. We just had our hearts set on pork for the freezer. Plus if I were going to go for horns, which I really wanted. I would've taken the head as well and that would've commanded a taxidermist, which was a little to much out of my pocket for the moment. Let someone else get the horns and head who can financially handle it instead, because they're to beautiful to waste.

Overall, I've read quite a few opinions and there are parts that I agree with and parts that I don't throughout this thread. My buddy and I feel that people should do their research and know what they're getting into, before doing it.

I would recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a good first shoot. It may not be the caveman hunt that some are looking for, but it was very informative and our guide was top notch. There's always room for improvement even with the most established places. I'm not sure about the cost angle on this trip yet, but our guide certainly made us feel better about our purchase.

There's no one day class that's going to teach you everything you need to know about hunting. It's just not going to happen and we understand that now more than every before. If you want to learn how to shoot right, learn some basics about tracking and field dressing as well as processing... this is one hell of an experience. If you're looking to grab a spear and take on a wild boar while jumping out of a tree, then this is not the place.

Im glad they stepped their game up. Its great that you had a good experience. Maybe I will try them again.

Old 03-24-2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I find it amusing that anyone refers this as a hunt.

Isn't this basically a canned pen raised shoot?
This +1000. Nothing more than a petting zoo with some over paid outfit almost aiming your rifle for you. What a joke.
Old 04-26-2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Im glad they stepped their game up. Its great that you had a good experience. Maybe I will try them again.

Pretty sure you wouldn't be welcomed back the way you run your mouth.
Old 04-26-2015, 9:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
After dragging their business threw the mud on here it's probably best you never step a foot on that place for you own safety.
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 04-27-2015, 5:12 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^serious. Companies I've worked for have done way worse and actually illegal things but I don't use the net to talk about it. Like jack rabbits... leave em lay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 11-02-2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
After dragging their business threw the mud on here it's probably best you never step a foot on that place for you own safety.
Are you implying that they are that unprofessional that would harm a customer? Hmm, not surprised, guess things haven't changed. Better for everyone to avoid then.

Old 11-02-2016, 6:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread? If you want a great central coast guided pig hunt call hog canyon outfitters. No rush and when I didn't bag a pig on my three day hunt (saw many, never got a good shot) they called me back a few weeks later when the hogs moved in heavy and I bagged a pig. No extra charge. Good people.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 11-02-2016 at 6:42 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Why are you bumping a 3 year old thread? If you want a great central coast guided pig hunt call hog canyon outfitters. No rush and when I didn't bag a pig on my three day hunt (saw many, never got a good shot) they called me back a few weeks later when the hogs moved in heavy and I bagged a pig. No extra charge. Good people.
Hey Mike, Well I wasn't but two people directed comments towards me and I figured it would rude not to answer them In all seriousness thanks for the recommendation. I will check out Hog Canyon! outfitters!

Old 11-03-2016, 5:29 PM

Hey guys, I just got back from my fourth hunt with Clayton. He is a stand up guy.

Over the last three years, we cast down after two of the most elusive big game animals in CA. Tule and barbary sheep. Trophy fee only, admittedly different from the OP hunt. I tried to press money into the the owner of BWO after each unsuccessful hunt - to cover gas and his time. He repeatedly turned me down. A deal was a deal, no money changed hands until after we were successful. We did take a tour of his Bitterwater ranch. No bones about what it was, high fence shoot. That kind of thing holds little interest for me, but everything was up front. We saw pigs, which is exactly as advertised.

As my dad used to say, a good hunt doesn't need to be a long hunt. Seems the OP got exactly what he came for - props to all.
Old 11-19-2016, 2:31 PM

I'm sure Clayton is a good guide. Never said that he was not. Read my original report.