Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-15-2010, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skscj View Post
anybody know if Panoche opens today, cant wait to get in there and shoot.
It's open, I went there today. Here's my sad story.

Got there around 9:10am and the gate was already open at Panoche Access Rd. I setup about 1500yds from the main entrance restroom to the right. I setup high so I was looking down the valley and I setup my hunting chair next to a bush about 20yds from my car. I started laser ranging all backstops/spots and the farthest was 494yds which I'm comfortable with if no wind. Pulled out the digital caller and set it up about 75yds from my hunting spot using the cottontail distress call. 2 minutes into the call I decided to get a bottle of water from the car and as soon as I got to the car and opened the door, a freaking coyote was running down the hill from 184yds from my hunting spot. My jaw dropped and my eye balls almost litterally popped out. . I tried to walk slowly back to my chair to grab my rifle but damn yote saw me walking down the hill. The Yote stopped for about 5 seconds and ran back up the hill. When I got to my rifle he was no where to be found. I waited a few sec and saw the yote again but was running up the farthest hill this time. The Yote stood on top of the hill and I was able to range the bastad at 513yds. I wanted to take a shot from that range but there was no backstop and couldn't risk it. The yote took off after a few more seconds. I stayed there for another 2 hours trying to call yotey back but I think the Yote was smarter this time. So 2 hours waiting, nothing and no other critters to destroy so I said F**k it and started plinking on a can I found about ~300yds away. Shot 8rds and called it a day. Didn't want to waste my lead-free ammo on a freaking can and that's all I brought with me. So it was kind of a disappointing day. I think it's still too hot for them critters to come out in full force.

-
Old 10-15-2010, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecam View Post
It's open, I went there today. Here's my sad story.

Got there around 9:10am and the gate was already open at Panoche Access Rd. I setup about 1500yds from the main entrance restroom to the right. I setup high so I was looking down the valley and I setup my hunting chair next to a bush about 20yds from my car. I started laser ranging all backstops/spots and the farthest was 494yds which I'm comfortable with if no wind. Pulled out the digital caller and set it up about 75yds from my hunting spot using the cottontail distress call. 2 minutes into the call I decided to get a bottle of water from the car and as soon as I got to the car and opened the door, a freaking coyote was running down the hill from 184yds from my hunting spot. My jaw dropped and my eye balls almost litterally popped out. . I tried to walk slowly back to my chair to grab my rifle but damn yote saw me walking down the hill. The Yote stopped for about 5 seconds and ran back up the hill. When I got to my rifle he was no where to be found. I waited a few sec and saw the yote again but was running up the farthest hill this time. The Yote stood on top of the hill and I was able to range the bastad at 513yds. I wanted to take a shot from that range but there was no backstop and couldn't risk it. The yote took off after a few more seconds. I stayed there for another 2 hours trying to call yotey back but I think the Yote was smarter this time. So 2 hours waiting, nothing and no other critters to destroy so I said F**k it and started plinking on a can I found about ~300yds away. Shot 8rds and called it a day. Didn't want to waste my lead-free ammo on a freaking can and that's all I brought with me. So it was kind of a disappointing day. I think it's still too hot for them critters to come out in full force.

-
Restroom at Panoche? You sure you weren't at Griswold hills? There is no restroom at Panoche.
Old 10-15-2010, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginit View Post
Restroom at Panoche? You sure you weren't at Griswold hills? There is no restroom at Panoche.
From what Ranger Holmes said last w/e there are bathrooms at Griswold, Panoche and not sure if Tumey has one too or not We will find out tomorrow if Tumey has one or not
Old 10-15-2010, 8:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
From what Ranger Holmes said last w/e there are bathrooms at Griswold, Panoche and not sure if Tumey has one too or not We will find out tomorrow if Tumey has one or not
Yes, the restroom at Panoche is new. There were construction workers there finishing up the job.
Old 10-15-2010, 8:31 PM

Well I'm willing to bet they put it right on top were the seasonal gate was. I guess that means we wont be able to shoot from there anymore or we will have to hike down into the gully to get a 100' away. Oh well at least the rest of it is open
Old 10-15-2010, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygunr View Post
Well I'm willing to bet they put it right on top were the seasonal gate was. I guess that means we wont be able to shoot from there anymore or we will have to hike down into the gully to get a 100' away. Oh well at least the rest of it is open
Yep, about 100 feet away from the shot up vehicle.
Old 10-15-2010, 8:44 PM
Veteran Member

Cool, Too bad some Aholes will probably destroy it. Although they may end up in the wastewater themselves...The pumper truck can dispose of whatever is left.
Old 10-15-2010, 8:48 PM
Veteran Member

Just because there is an outhouse there, Doesn't mean it is a "developed" parking area. I don't see any asphalt or vehicle parking spaces. Just as large dirt area with a big hill in the middle, 4 miles off the paved road.
Which is what my lawer will state in court.

Last edited by diginit; 10-15-2010 at 8:52 PM..
Old 10-15-2010, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just because there is an outhouse there, Doesn't mean it is a "developed" parking area. I don't see any asphalt or vehicle parking spaces. Just as large dirt area with a hill in the middle.
Which is what my lawer will state in court.
On my way out, a cement truck just arrived by the gate. They are definitely pouring concrete somewhere. I wish I took photos of the construction.
Old 10-15-2010, 8:57 PM
Veteran Member

Probably fencing. To many Aholes cut the barbed wire to enter while the area was closed for the fire season. One cement truck could cover about 20 Sq yrds. 4"deep. Not even enough to cover a 100' by 200' parking area They wouldn't use concrete anyways. I costs way more than asphalt.

Last edited by diginit; 10-15-2010 at 8:59 PM..
Old 10-16-2010, 3:25 PM

I wonder if this is a restroom we saw at Tumey hills then.
Old 10-16-2010, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

I really hope tumey and panoche don't become more popular cause it will only be a matter of time before they are shut down to target shooting.
Old 10-16-2010, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorb View Post
I really hope tumey and panoche don't become more popular cause it will only be a matter of time before they are shut down to target shooting.

Mike: I'm with you on this. It will be interesting to see what Panoche looks like. Someone please post some pictures.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 10-16-2010, 5:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The concrete poured is usually for 2 camping spots that are each different in size just like at Griswold hills.

Just got back from Tumey and there were others at the cave from last night. Which was okay because we took the cave side of the valley and they shot on the other side. It was a great day today
Old 10-16-2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaHuNaZ View Post
I wonder if this is a restroom we saw at Tumey hills then.
Looks more like a small NASCAR dirt track ... concession stand on the outside of the track ?

I'm thinking the house in the infield w/the chimney is a cabin for stranded hikers.

CCW Santa Clara County sponsor ... ric (aka Michael

Once the 2'nd goes, the others are like dominos (auth: ricochet: 2013) ...
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away ...

WTB: super tall stainless scope rings (see thru preferred) and/or rear sight replacement for Mini 14
WTS: tall rings
Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

disgusting!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 PM

Quote:
disgusting!
Maybe it's just too late and my brain is mush (likely) but what is disgusting ? If you think I was calling a restroom a concession stand, I wasn't really. I was saying that the building on the outside of what look's like a NASCAR track looks more like a concession stand because of it's location to what looks like a race track.

O well, I guess I'm not going to live that down ...

CCW Santa Clara County sponsor ... ric (aka Michael

Once the 2'nd goes, the others are like dominos (auth: ricochet: 2013) ...
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away ...

WTB: super tall stainless scope rings (see thru preferred) and/or rear sight replacement for Mini 14
WTS: tall rings
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

HAHAH no it had nothing to do with you, I was just saying it sucks that they are "developing" the area. I do agree it looks like a NASCAR track, I might have to test it out next time
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
Maybe it's just too late and my brain is mush (likely) but what is disgusting ? If you think I was calling a restroom a concession stand, I wasn't really. I was saying that the building on the outside of what look's like a NASCAR track looks more like a concession stand because of it's location to what looks like a race track.

O well, I guess I'm not going to live that down ...
Old 10-17-2010, 7:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
Mike: I'm with you on this. It will be interesting to see what Panoche looks like. Someone please post some pictures.
Didn't waste any time shooting pics of restrooms... Sorry.
How's this for a pic?

It was a great little shoot this weekend. Saturday with Tommygunner and a couple friends and Sunday with SKSCJ. Except for the pig in camp wakin' me up at 3:00, I really enjoyed the away time. The shooting was fun too... Pics and movies here.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/j...010%20Campout/

Last edited by diginit; 10-17-2010 at 7:56 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 8:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

James, where the hell did you get that? That one you brought over wasn't an RPK.
Did SKSCJ bring that FAL of his? He picked that up when I was still at PRK.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 10-17-2010, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

It's CJ's. Fun gun. The FAL he just got from PRK was jamming alot. Every 2nd round...The mag follower was tilting front and rear. We lubed the hell out of the reciever and the mag. Still jammed. I think he is going to return the FAL mag. Other than that, It is a nice rifle. With a better mag I think it will shoot well. I was expecting more recoil from a 308. But it was easy on the shoulder and very accurate. Nothing like my 12 Ga. with slugs...

Last edited by diginit; 10-17-2010 at 8:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2010, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Mike. I need to talk to you. My Romi's upper forstock is loose after about 800 rnds. Even with the lever fully forward. It was tight for the first 500 or so. Then I had to move the lever past the stop in order to take out the slop. Now it is just plain sloppy. I'm wondering if the piston could have moved gas block toward the muzzle. I thought I'd post this in case someone else has the same problem...

Sorry you couldn't make this one. Next time.. You're going.

Last edited by diginit; 10-17-2010 at 8:58 PM..
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

How many people do you usually get to go? I have only taken my guns to the local ranges and have been itching to take them out to some blm land.
Old 10-23-2010, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
How many people do you usually get to go? I have only taken my guns to the local ranges and have been itching to take them out to some blm land.
Depends, usually its about 5-20 people, last years zombie shoot I think we had 50 or 60 people. I prefer smaller groups.
Old 10-23-2010, 8:27 PM

I went today for the first time had a blast, cant wait to go back. I counted about 8 people there today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
"I've got a case full of candy if you've got a van"
Pax in Bello "Peace in War"
WTS 1863 CS Richmond black powder rifle
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=342883
WTS Cherry wood desk & Rockstar fridge
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=238105
Old 10-23-2010, 8:54 PM

I also went for my first time to Panoche and had so much for exploring in my Jeep that I almost forgot to shoot. Almost.
Old 10-24-2010, 1:40 AM

I was just there on Friday. They put in a pit toilet and a gravel parking area before the shot up car. The road in is MUCH improved as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 6:36 AM

Recar, I think you drove past our group we had the red Dodge and the green Ford out there.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2010, 6:42 AM

The biggest guy we had there, almost got carried away by a giant tarantula. I will post pics of the taratula later.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderBurn1 View Post
Recar, I think you drove past our group we had the red Dodge and the green Ford out there.
Yep, that was me. You had a nice setup, I should have stopped to say Hi. Didn't want to butt in. Maybe next time.
Old 10-27-2010, 7:02 PM

James, the area we were at is closed now also, they closed alot of the smaller roads...Was there today...
Old 10-27-2010, 7:57 PM

where is this place?
Old 10-28-2010, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skscj View Post
James, the area we were at is closed now also, they closed alot of the smaller roads...Was there today...
CLOSED??? Those AZZHOLES closed my favorite camping spot? Why? This was the only safe place there to have a campfire. Do the Rangers want this place to burn or what? I'm So sick of them closing PUBLIC land to the PUBLIC.
Clear Creek, Etc. So are many, MANY other God fearing people that feel the same way. (I suppose you are going to tell me it is illegal to say God...) F.U!
I am now researching what can be done about their beaurocracy. I fear that the next demonstration at the Hollister BLM office may not be as peaceful as the last. I have just lost ALL my respect for Rangers and LE.
This is a crock! Like the idiot Ranger that told a CG'er "If I catch you again with the mag removed from the BB eqipped AR, I will confiscate the weapon and cite you." at a 30 person CG shoot.The shooter knew he was within the law and was being safe having the mag removed and the bolt open at a cease fire. The shooter actually had to fight the tears from his eyes. He knew he was doing the right (safe) thing, but the ranger had him scared and made him feel he was doing something wrong. This was BS! Period! And the dumbsh*t ranger that asked me "how many rounds my 24/47 Mauser held" It is a C&R...Made in 1924... It can hold 2000 rnds! LEGALLY! Shouldn't he know this???? And then said that I should have unslung my weapon upon sight of their vehicle. Ya, Like I'm STUPID enough to unsling a shouldered rifle while a Ranger is approching. WTF was he thinking? I could shoot his eye out at 300 yrds. Wouldn't the rifle be safer on my shoulder? I'm so sick of this stupidity....These people are supposed to enforce the law and avoid being killed in the process?
A note to the LE that may read this. You had better know the law that you are PAID to enforce better than I do or I WILL see you in civil court and you will be soon be looking for another job. And I will cash in. I just lost all respect...Should have happened long ago... But I thought LE was inteligent and respected the job you do. But I have been proven wrong too many times. Sooo Sad...I won't except any more FKUPS on your part. I have only met 2 Sherriffs that know the law. As for Rangers...Not One. One Ranger did not know if open fires were permitted. When I had checked with the BLM office beforehand and had a valid permit. We Pay these guys????? For What??? Driving around and screwing with people that know the law better that they do?

Last edited by diginit; 10-28-2010 at 9:22 PM..
Old 10-28-2010, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CLOSED??? Those AZZHOLES closed my favorite camping spot? Why? This was the only safe place there to have a campfire. Do the Rangers want this place to burn or what? I'm So sick of them closing PUBLIC land to the PUBLIC.
Clear Creek, Etc. So are many, MANY other God fearing people that feel the same way. (I suppose you are going to tell me it is illegal to say God...) F.U!
I am now researching what can be done about their beaurocracy. I fear that the next demonstration at the Hollister BLM office may not be as peaceful as the last. I have just lost ALL my respect for Rangers and LE.
This is a crock! Like the idiot Ranger that told a CG'er "If I catch you with the mag removed from the BB eqipped AR, I will confiscate the weapon and cite you." at a 30 person CG shoot. And the dumbsh*t ranger that asked me "how many rounds my 24/47 Mauser held" It is a C&R...Made in 1924... It can hold 2000 rnds! LEGALLY! Shouldn't he know this???? And then said that I should have unslung my weapon upon sight of their vehicle. Ya, Like I'm STUPID enough to unsling a shouldered rifle while a Ranger is approching. WTF was he thinking? I could shoot his eye out at 300 yrds. Wouldn't the rifle be safer on my shoulder? I'm so sick of this stupidity....These people are supposed to enforce the law and avoid being killed in the process?
A note to the LE that may read this. You had better know the law that you are PAID to enforce better than I do or I WILL see you in civil court and you will be soon be looking for another job. And I will cash in. I just lost all respect...Should have happened long ago... But I thought LE was inteligent and respected the job you do. But I have been proven wrong too many times. Sooo Sad...I won't except any more FKUPS on your part. I have only met 2 Sherriffs that know the law. As for Rangers...Not One. One Ranger did not know if open fires were permitted. When I had checked with the BLM office beforehand and had a valid permit. We Pay these guys????? For What??? Driving around and screwing with people that know the law better that they do?
When the hell did that happen?
Old 10-28-2010, 9:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sucks to hear, I lost my new map for the time being it is a newer 2010/2011 one too. Tumey Hills has a lot of spots that are still open, but it seems that even T-Hills is starting to get more popular and more and more people are going to be there and mess it up for the good guys. Ranger Holmes seemed like he knew what was going on when he came out to the Griswold Hills shoot. I don't doubt that a lot of LOE's do not know the laws concerning most of out toys we have in CA.
Old 10-28-2010, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When the hell did that happen?
Which one?
I have been camping at Panoche... Once, twice or 3 times a month for 4 years. I could go over my photobucket (diginit @) to find the exact dates, but I'm too tired right now. Have had many contacts with Rangers there.
Mostly good because I respected their authority. Even when I knew they were wrong. That has now stopped. Authority has no meaning if the enforcing agents have no knowledge of the law. They may as well be Brits in 1775. The time for a revolution is near...
Old 10-28-2010, 9:55 PM

Quote:
This is a crock! Like the idiot Ranger that told a CG'er "If I catch you again with the mag removed from the BB eqipped AR, I will confiscate the weapon and cite you." at a 30 person CG shoot.The shooter knew he was within the law and was being safe having the mag removed and the bolt open at a cease fire. The shooter actually had to fight the tears from his eyes. He knew he was doing the right (safe) thing, but the ranger had him scared and made him feel he was doing something wrong. This was BS! Period! And the dumbsh*t ranger that asked me "how many rounds my 24/47 Mauser held" It is a C&R...Made in 1924... It can hold 2000 rnds! LEGALLY! Shouldn't he know this???? And then said that I should have unslung my weapon upon sight of their vehicle. Ya, Like I'm STUPID enough to unsling a shouldered rifle while a Ranger is approching. WTF was he thinking? I could shoot his eye out at 300 yrds. Wouldn't the rifle be safer on my shoulder? I'm so sick of this stupidity....These people are supposed to enforce the law and avoid being killed in the process?
Is the area you're referring to off to the right of the main road and down in a valley? It has a nice firepit and a great camping area, as well as a nice turnaround for vehicles. I concur on your LE views at this point as well. I think this especially rings true with the lying scheming ones that reside in the Hollister BLM office. David Moore of that office is a good and honest ranger, but I would only trust the rest of them as far as I could throw them.
Old 10-29-2010, 1:14 AM

We re-opened the pit area last weekend. Lol

So many rounds on the ground, guessing that is why it's closed. Big cleanup needed.

Quote:

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - J. Cooper
Old 10-29-2010, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

This is Panoche's new parking area at the 2nd gate.

Old 10-29-2010, 6:03 PM
Veteran Member

Sucks... They FK'ed up a great place. Spoiled the entire atmosphere. May as well go to a KYA Campground or Saratoga Springs now. Why does government have to develop every GD inch of earth. LEAVE IT THE FK ALONE!