Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > The Appleseed Project
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Appleseed Project The Revolutionary War Veterans Association

Old 04-18-2011, 6:40 AM

I got a 213 then the rest of the time I got a bunch of 207s, 208s, 209s and finally a 210 (thought it was much higher than realized you only shoot the last 400 meter 3 times - one of my shots keyholed and I added up four hits for the score!). A lot of my problem was I'd do great in a particular stage then screw up the next or last. On one of the 100m standings I had 9 hits in the 5 ring and 1 in the 4, then I missed 3 shots sitting :P
Old 04-18-2011, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Anyway, point being that with the irons depending on your eyesight you'll probably drop some consistency on the slow fire stage. But it really doesn't matter on the other three stages, and if anything irons are faster (since you're just ripping off shots each breath). So on any given AQT you'll either do great or terrible, but over the course of the day it's not going to affect if you get the patch or not if your fundamentals are at a decent level and you're trusting NPOA. That was my experience anyway.
I agree with this generally; I was usually very pleased with my groups when trusting NPOA, and invariably disappointed when I didn't.

My biggest problem of the weekend was that I was never able to get a tight group during slowfire that I could use to adjust my sights, and consequently I was not entirely confident in my sight picture to put my (improving, but still not great) groups on target for the 300 and 400 meter targets. For sure until the groups get good without the clock on your back, and until you can quickly get your NPOA set up and are good at adjusting it to point on target with the clock running, then everything else has a much smaller impact on results.

I probably - no definitely - should have just kept shooting for groups until things improved, but then I would have missed all the other stuff and I'm glad I didn't. Now I can spend some quality time at the range on groups the proper way.
Old 04-18-2011, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, yes - so with the zero, that can be a problem. The temptation is to say, oh, here's a really good group an inch up so that must be real. But if you shoot again without changes maybe it'll be right on. That's a vision problem or failure to double check the NPOA, not a zero problem. But if you're always getting it off the same way, OK, that's real.

I actually think it's easier to zero shooting against a larger target that you can actually see, and also using that for verification. So if you're hitting the center of the larger targets you're probably good. And then once you think it's pretty good don't mess with it. I actually have a little line painted on my front TechSight for Appleseed distance and the ammo I'm using.

I should probably also note that I'm using point of aim = point of impact. My vision isn't good enough to even consider a 6 o'clock hold (it's just a fuzzy blob, better to center it than to get fancy) and I think it's easier to keep a front sight focus that way.

PS For anybody reading this for a future Appleseed - don't switch ammo during an Appleseed. With different .22 ammo I've found the zero's 12-16 clicks up which is a good inch different on target.
Old 04-18-2011, 9:27 AM

What Appleseed can do for you:
I'm a brand new shooter. Even before ever going to a range, I practiced my positions at home with a sling, trying to hold a steady sight picture. I spent about 6 hours at the range two weeks before Appleseed, zeroing my sights @ 20 yards (using a block rest), and trying out different ammo, and shooting different positions. That was the extent of my shooting experience. Here is the start and end of my two days. Thanks Appleseed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1104.jpg (92.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by 1kiloGarand; 04-18-2011 at 9:29 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-18-2011, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kiloGarand View Post
What Appleseed can do for you:
Here is the start and end of my two days.
That first target is impressive for a new shooter, and the final target is one to be envious of, period! I'll be back later with one of my own after the next shoot!
Old 04-18-2011, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

And the cool thing is you now have these fundamentals to build on, with no bad habits, and a clear notion of some good drills and such to work on. And you can decide if you want to move out to longer distances and see how that's different, or you can move up to something with real recoil, or anything you want, really.

I'd love to see you posting later this year that you made Rifleman again with your M1 Garand!
Old 04-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Phil has the official After Action Report over on the Appleseed forum for those who would like to put in their two cents over there. I'll see about linking my two sad pictures over when the baby takes a nap (fingers crossed).

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=22171.0
Old 04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was shooting two Bullseye matches on Range 5 and didn't have a chance to say "howdy" to the other Calgunners at Chabot. Hope all of you had fun

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 04-19-2011, 8:18 PM

Hi Folks,

this is Phil, "V" on the Appleseed forum. Reading through the above it sounds like you folks have picked up everything pretty well, especially the NPOA concept, and understand that the Appleseed weekend is truly a drinking from the firehose/total immersion which sets you up for private study at your own pace using the handouts, etc.

It was a great weekend, we were the biggest turnout in California and one of the larger events in the country so excellent job on getting the word out and selling out the shoot.

Thanks again to all the instructors, Mr Pete, RyanTSG, Nero and Pat.

Thanks to Rocket man for answering everyone's questions leading up to the event. Hope to see many of you again in the future on the "Appleseed Trail." And all you Riflemen, think about becoming an Instructor

"I believe most men have more courage than they know of, and that a little at first is enough to begin with. I knew the time when I thought that the whistling of a cannon ball would have frightened me almost to death; but I have since tried it, and find that I can stand it" Thomas Paine "The Crisis"

I did a posting on the Appleseed forum to collect all the after action reports on all the California shoots this weekend for your enjoyment.

Cheers
Phil "V" aka crkba

Last edited by V; 04-19-2011 at 8:28 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 9:04 PM

Looks like Chabot had the best turn out and the most number of Riflemen! Good work everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkba View Post
Hi Folks,

I did a posting on the Appleseed forum to collect all the after action reports on all the California shoots this weekend for your enjoyment.

Cheers
Phil "V" aka crkba
Old 04-20-2011, 6:14 AM

Biggest all around turnout, too. I think its probably because it was the only one close to the Bay Area. We need to get Metcalf to let us use the the range where the Magpul guys do their classes and get a San Jose Appleseed going for us South Bay guys.
Old 04-21-2011, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
We need to get Metcalf to let us use the the range where the Magpul guys do their classes and get a San Jose Appleseed going for us South Bay guys.
Totally agreed! Has anybody broached the topic with Metcalf previously?
Old 04-21-2011, 2:22 PM

that would be great central location.
Old 04-21-2011, 7:41 PM

Anyone got a point of contact for Metcalf? Like, who would someone ask if its OK to hold an Appleseed there?
Old 04-22-2011, 5:52 AM

Default Ask the front desk who to contact

Mtcalf has an odd organization since it is a county owned range.

Ask someone at the front desk and work your way up from there.

Good Luck,

Ryan
Old 04-24-2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsmileyface View Post
Anyone got a point of contact for Metcalf? Like, who would someone ask if its OK to hold an Appleseed there?
I got this from their web site :

For More Information Please Contact:

The Field Sports County Park
9580 Malech Rd.
San Jose, CA 95013
Phone: 463-0769 (Trap and Skeet Range Office)
Phone: 463-0652 (Rifle and Pistol Range Office)
Old 04-24-2011, 4:23 PM

It looks like the san jose zouaves use the 200 yard range the first 3 weekends every month. Maybe the 4th weekend would be open for Appleseed?
Old 04-24-2011, 5:59 PM

has anybody contacted them yet?
Old 04-26-2011, 8:11 AM

Hmm - called up but they were closed for winter hours today
Old 05-27-2011, 2:25 PM

Default Another Chabot Appleseed June 18/19 2011

Coming up fast, find more information and register here (Appleseed calls it Castro Valley) and don't forget you can use that $10 of discount code, NWC201010, as described here

Cheers
V

Last edited by V; 05-27-2011 at 2:30 PM..