Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Head Janitor

Default Veteran funeral experience/knowledge?

Does anyone have any information or experience with funeral arrangements for a Veteran?
A close friend of our lost her uncle (stand in dad for decades) today.
He was in the Air Force until 1964 and got out with an honorable discharge and disability. Neither he nor she have a lot of resources but I know there are burial benefits for those who served.

Any information or advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:39 AM
CGSSA Associate

http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/burial_benefits/index.asp

My dad is buried at Miramar
Old 09-18-2016, 11:48 AM

Just did this last year with my dad and grandpa, easiest way we found was get with your county VSO (veteran service officer) and they will help you file the paperwork for benefits. Also our mortuary helped and setup the honor guard and flag ceremony that they did graveside with a local VFW and American Legion. Also if he was married and was on Service connected disability his widow will continue to get benefits and compensation depending on how long there were married and % of disability (VSO will help with this also). Children also can get some benefits as well. RIP to the veteran.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

When my Dad passed, I just called the local Navy base and they connected me to the right folks.
We had an Honor Guard and I received his flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don't really care, I just like to argue.
Old 09-18-2016, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

There is also some sort of burial at sea program that the Navy does. I told my family they are welcome to have the USN scatter my ashes at sea. I have no heirs and really don't care nobody would be visiting my gravesite after a while anyhow.

They don't want to do it but it is an option for some. I believe any veteran is eligible not just USN.
Old 09-18-2016, 9:00 PM
Banned

Sorry for your loss. We recently Buried a cousin who was in the Air Force at the Riverside National Cemetary. It is next to March Air Base off the 215.

rendering of Military Funeral Honors for an eligible veteran, free of charge, is mandated by law. An honor guard detail for the burial of an eligible veteran shall consist of not less than two members of the Armed Forces. One member of the detail shall be a representative of the parent Service of the deceased veteran. The honor detail will, at a minimum, perform a ceremony that includes the folding and presenting of the American flag to the next of kin and the playing of Taps. When available taps will be played by a bugler, however there are so few buglers available that the military services may choose to provide an electronic recording of taps. The veteran's parent Service representative will present the flag.

Funeral Honors Eligibility

Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Verifying Eligibility

The preferred method for verifying eligibility is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD Form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing other than dishonorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 may be obtained by requesting it online from the National Archives.

Requesting Military Funeral Honors

Families of eligible veterans request funeral honors through their funeral director. The funeral director will contact the appropriate Military Service to arrange for the funeral honors.
Old 09-19-2016, 3:36 PM
Head Janitor

Thanks for the info everyone, we found his DD214 and got her in contact with someone at the funeral home who works with the VA.
It looks like he will be buried at the Riverside National Cemetery.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:09 AM
Calguns Addict

He'll be in good company.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Nice big cemetary, my grandpa and grandma are there. I grew up 5 min from there. I'll probly end up there as well