Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Friends of the NRA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 8:02 AM

I am a member of CCRKBA, and I get CONSTANT mailers from them asking for money. I spent the money to join, and don't mind donating when I can, but I have to ask, what does this money they are asking for really going toward? I have yet to really see a lot of proof that CCRKBA is doing a lot to fight for our 2A rights. That being said, perhaps it's getting done behind the scenes, and we just don't know it.

Proud Member of:
Old 10-31-2013, 6:00 PM

for those complaining about NRA staff making too much:
http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallott...ead_wrong.html

long story short, you can't expect the best or even a lot of qualified people to come and show up, work, etc. if it means they are giving up too much financial opportunity.

yes, they may believe in what they are working towards and hence are probably willing to compromise to a degree, but "belief" isn't going to pay the bills, make ends meet, or change the fact that you aren't living a "more expensive" lifestyle.

---------------
as for my own complaints against the NRA - wish they wouldn't constantly contact the members. i.e. mail, email, calls, etc. occasional contact is fine, but if say apple contacted people advertising new products (or w/e they would say) as frequently as say the NRA does for it's various members, i'm sure apple would end up annoying many more people than they'd be bringing on.

Last edited by penguinofsleep; 10-31-2013 at 6:06 PM..
Old 10-31-2013, 6:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation Members council

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
  1. Sonoma Friends
had a "idea" to invite only past participants and jacked the price up to boot .Now they have to advertise in the Press Democrat..
Are you vetching about CORPORATE NRA or the local gun groups called "Members Councils" who host a variety of fundraisers for activites and events in your local area.... groups made up on NRA members???

http://www.sonomanra.org/

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 10-31-2013, 7:02 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
Are you vetching about CORPORATE NRA or the local gun groups called "Members Councils" who host a variety of fundraisers for activites and events in your local area.... groups made up on NRA members???

http://www.sonomanra.org/
I'm finding out its the local groups making these decisions. In Sacramento the Friends dinner was less expensive, all inclusive toward participants and and. open bar
Old 11-03-2013, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Corporate greed. Even the NRA president, CEO, COO, etc. want to get paid way more than the average employee. Profit is not a dirty word, but greed is.

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...t_Expenditures

It is reported that NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre made over $900,000 a year, circa 2007. [2]
Where is the line between profit and greed sir? Who put you in charge of defining it? Troll.
Old 11-06-2013, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Maker View Post
Oh that's sad to hear.... That's one reason I never been a fan nor member of the NRA... They appear to be for our 2A rights.. but always at a price... They are just like every other corporate entity... $$$$$
Like it or not, the NRA is the most powerful and effective gun rights organization in the world. People who thread crap the NRA are just cheap and bitter. I'm sure I don't make as much as many people who work for the NRA and I dont care because its not relevant. If you aren't a member of the NRA quit *****ing and pony up $35 bucks for the cause. I'm an NRA lifer and I'm cheap to the bone. I could have bought a new firearm with that money but decided to stand up and be counted. I don't agree with every single dollar they spend but I'm proud to be part a noble cause. NRA haters are just trying to justify being cheap, just be honest about it. I don't care how many years you were a member before you "came to your senses". ".....always at a price", really? do you think we should apply for a grant from obama to keep the NRA running ?

Last edited by Shorthair; 11-06-2013 at 2:02 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 8:24 AM

[QUOTE= ".....always at a price", really? do you think we should apply for a grant from obama to keep the NRA running ?[/QUOTE]

Ummm this ^^^. Funny. NRA is NOT just like any other corporation. It's a NON profit. They get their operating capital from donations, memberships, and the like. I agree, haters are just trying to justify cheapness. I used all the excuses, but frankly, there is no other organization that can get 'er done like the NRA. So, I ponied up for two years, then went lifetime. Y'all should too.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A Friends of NRA dinner barely breaks even if the attendees only buy a dinner ticket.

The cost of decent food and the meeting hall alone + a tad of employee overhead, insurance, etc. costs money. And things cost more money in CA than elsewhere.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

really good people are expensive.... usually low six figure expensive.

Oh honey; I just quit my middle management corp job to go work for the NRA. For $50k less! -=not happening ever=-
Old 11-19-2013, 7:33 AM

The idea of these events is to RAISE money. Not provide a good deal on dinner. And Wayne is worth far more than that. His dedication is without question. He's probably received more death threats than dollars.
Old 11-22-2013, 2:45 PM

i agree... seems like its all about $$ nowadays for the NRA , i renewed my membership and they gave me a choice of a range bag or a knife or something, i chose the range bag and 3weeks later i get another letter saying "are you sure you want the range bag?" if you do then please reply...

??WTF if you dont want to give out any gifts then dont offer them? its not a big deal to me but just the way they went about it.
Old 11-26-2013, 7:43 PM
CGSSA Leader

Default Sorry NRA

The NRA asks for money because they need it to fight for our 2A rights. I understand that the CEO etc. make a ton of money, but they should. All of the bigwigs in Company's make good money.

Every time we get a win against some stupid law proposal I donate more to the NRA.

They are only here for us... And in my opinion what they make is irrelevant.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:16 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

The foundation and the NRA are two different things. The dinners do have a paid director that guides them and volunteers that staff them. All the money goes back to the community for rebuilding ranges, gun safety and stuff like women on target and equipment for the scouts so they can shoot safely. The political and membership part have nothing to do with these events and we don't ask anyone to be a member at the dinner. I really wish people would understand the difference.