Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM

Default 2019 AB 645 - Irwin - Firearms: warning statements

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...201920200AB645

Updates the warning signs an FFL must display (updates information on suicide prevention).
Old 02-17-2019, 9:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As currently written, I'm not totally opposed to it. Looks like it basically just adds a note to the information we already get, that has a suicide hotline number. I highly doubt it will effectively prevent any suicides, but I don't see much harm in it. Doesn't add any cost or burden to anyone, as far as I can tell.

Still, it's worth keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get amended into something worse later.

ETA: See comments below... this bill would make dealers update the signage, again, that they JUST had to update 2 months ago because of another bill passed in 2017. This bill seems to be written for the sole purpose of constantly moving the goalposts for gun dealers to make it more difficult for them to remain compliant.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-19-2019 at 9:18 AM..
Old 02-17-2019, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

(1) It shall be displayed in its entirety on the principal display panel of the firearm’s package
"DO NOT USE ON SELF"

seems reasonable
Old 02-19-2019, 5:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
Doesn't add any cost or burden to anyone, as far as I can tell.
As a California FFL, I disagree. One more sign I need to produce and more safety warnings I have to provide. It is a cost and burden to us.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-19-2019, 7:01 AM

ridiculous waste of money
Old 02-19-2019, 7:39 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
As a California FFL, I disagree. One more sign I need to produce and more safety warnings I have to provide. It is a cost and burden to us.
I haven't read the whole bill yet, so you may be right, but at first glance I thought this bill just adds text to signage/labels that are already required anyways.
Old 02-19-2019, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Just another useless piece of legislation. I understand the elected politicians have a scorecard to proudly present to their electoral mass. So, this one counts as "prevent gun violence" type of bill. Definitely, it's not the worst one. Probably, we should thank Mr. Irwin for wasting the DEM majority time on such a bill.
Old 02-19-2019, 9:04 AM

Yeah, that is his point. Now he has to throw away all the signage / labels he has, and make new ones.

Quote:
I haven't read the whole bill yet, so you may be right, but at first glance I thought this bill just adds text to signage/labels that are already required anyways.
Old 02-19-2019, 9:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit31 View Post
Yeah, that is his point. Now he has to throw away all the signage / labels he has, and make new ones.
I see now, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that is an unjustifiable burden, then. And didn't dealers JUST have to update their signs last year because of a similar law? Now they'd have to toss those and make new ones again. Their goal seems to be to make it as hard as possible for gun dealers to stay compliant by constantly changing the goal posts.

ETA: Yep, 2017 AB-1525 made dealers update the same signage in question by 1/1/2019. Now, not even 2 months later, they've introduced a bill to make dealers change the signage again.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 02-19-2019 at 9:15 AM..
Old 02-19-2019, 9:15 AM

Quote:
I see now, thanks for clarifying. Yes, that is an unjustifiable burden, then. And didn't dealers JUST have to update their signs last year because of a similar law? Now they'd have to toss those and make new ones again. Their goal seems to be to make it as hard as possible for gun dealers to stay compliant by constantly changing the goal posts.

ETA: Yep, 2017 AB-1525 made dealers update their signage by 1/1/2019. Now, just 50 days later, they've introduced a bill to make dealers change their signage again.
Maybe the signs should just be on dry eraser board or a chalk board if they are going to force a yearly change.
WTB: Pietta 45lc conversion cylinder
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Signal Out of Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousuke View Post
Maybe the signs should just be on dry eraser board or a chalk board if they are going to force a yearly change.
At this point, with these constant changes, maybe a digital sign isn't too bad of an investment. Who knows, maybe that'll be mandated too, and have it be required to connect to their server so they can change it at will.

Gavin Newsom is a lying, cheating slickster and will be is the worst mistake California has ever made if he gets now that he has been elected Governor. Hollywood movie producers look to him and his oleaginous persona as a model for the corrupt "bad guy" politician character. This guy is so greasy, he could lubricate an entire arsenal of AR-15s just by breathing on them.
Old 02-19-2019, 6:16 PM

Dicks.
Old 02-20-2019, 5:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
As currently written, I'm not totally opposed to it. Looks like it basically just adds a note to the information we already get, that has a suicide hotline number. I highly doubt it will effectively prevent any suicides, but I don't see much harm in it. Doesn't add any cost or burden to anyone, as far as I can tell.

Still, it's worth keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get amended into something worse later.

ETA: See comments below... this bill would make dealers update the signage, again, that they JUST had to update 2 months ago because of another bill passed in 2017. This bill seems to be written for the sole purpose of constantly moving the goalposts for gun dealers to make it more difficult for them to remain compliant.
BS oppose all of it no matter what those a**hats say.

you're absolutely correct this all about moving the goal posts. It will get 100x worse this year than ever before. 2A is dead here barring a SCOTUS case with teeth in it.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-20-2019, 6:27 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
BS oppose all of it no matter what those a**hats say.

you're absolutely correct this all about moving the goal posts. It will get 100x worse this year than ever before. 2A is dead here barring a SCOTUS case with teeth in it.
Agreed, after further reading and some comments in here, it's clear that this bill should be opposed
Old 02-20-2019, 8:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Agreed, after further reading and some comments in here, it's clear that this bill should be opposed
any gun control written by a Democrat should be 100% opposed period. Problem is we know this will pass and Newsom will sign it. Furthering the death of 2A in this state.

Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-21-2019, 2:54 PM
AKA: Joe Censored

The additional time and cost on CA FFL's is the only thing that concerns me. I'm skeptical that someone contemplating suicide would change their mind in response to a sign though.
Old 03-20-2019, 8:26 PM

Amended on 3/06.
Old 03-20-2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
It is a precursor to that same message having to be stamped on the firearms themselves.......plus the prop 65 warning.
More 'billboard' slides LOL