Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 05-08-2011, 8:30 AM

Default BDC reticle scopes

I have used and liked Shepard scopes in the past. Any thoughts on various others? It will be going on a .260t AR-10. There are too many choices and of course I have to pick a less popular caliber. Planing on using 139gr corbon scenar/lapua round for distance shooting. Any other BDC matches out there? Maybe illuminated? (no I don't need it, but it would be cool to have.) Other wise I will probably stick with what I know and have used.
Old 05-08-2011, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Most BDC reticles are based on popular loads (primarily MIL/LEO), so you're kind of SOL in that regard. If you wanted to spend $$$ you could have USO build you a reticle specifically for BDC data you provide them, but I still think that's a bit of a waste. Why not just go with a reticle that has decent hash coverage? Then shoot to get your DOPE for the locations on the reticle. I've done this with a variety of reticles and it works fairly well.

For a semi-auto, I prefer the Horus reticle. Some people don't like them because they feel they are too busy, but when you can make quick follow up shots based on accurate holdovers, what's not to like?
Old 05-09-2011, 9:02 AM

I agree with Brando, for distance shooting with your own loads, not sure why you wouldn't just go with a typical reticle with mil dots/MOA scale/etc.

For applications like combat and 3-gun competition, BDC reticles can be very useful due to the high importance of speed. But as mentioned they are calibrated for specific loads & muzzle velocities. You could always (as I do for my optics) calculate the equivalent holdover distances for your specific load coming out of your specific barrel... but then you have to approximate for distances in between the BDC marks.

As an example, I have the Burris TAC30 scope on one of my uppers. The reticle looks like this:

It is designed for a 100yd zero with the BDC markings as shown above.

But for my purposes, I looked at the reticle subtensions then applied them to the ballistics of my load coming out of that upper. I ended up choosing to zero @ 200 at the top of the dot (vs. middle) to get more holdover reference points out farther. So as a result, for this upper, my holdovers are:

200 top of dot
275 bottom of dot
330 "300yd" dot
400 "400yd" dot
475 "500yd" dot
550 "600yd" dot

So I'd have to remember these holdovers and use them appropriately.

So again it sounds like you'd be well served by a typical reticle with mildots or hash marks.
Old 05-09-2011, 9:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Leupold will make you a set of custom turrets for around $90 bucks or so if you have one of their scopes. You send them in the load information, bullet type, barrel length and all the particulars, and they make a custom set of turrets for a drop compensator. They usually have 1 marked out then couple clicks with a 2, few more clicks with a 3 and each number is saying that its 100 more yards for that drop. That way you don't need the compensator reticle. My Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40 had turrets like that and they worked REALLY well. If you are shooting 400 yards, you dial it out to the 4 and shoot away. It was always VERY close to what I was aiming for and if you need, you can hold over by an inch or so on the target to get what you are aiming at.
Old 05-09-2011, 8:26 PM

Thank you for the replies. Still leaning toward bdc reticle. I am working toward some 3 gun. Pretty much the main reason i put together the AR-10. First semi auto rifle I have owned actually. I was thinking the 18" bdc reticle circles on the shepard would work well for quick targeting at varied distance with a red dot canted for short range. I have no experience to speak of in 3gun so I am open to opinions. Maybe I am over thinking it. Just trying to come up with a nice combo to start with. After that it is up to me to get my crap together and go do a lot of shooting. I am pretty excited about the ballistics with the .260 and 139gr lapua/scenar .615 bc looks awfully nice. I am a big fan of the .264 diam. bullet. should be a lot of fun. Horus reticle is good concept by the way. I can see why people think it is a bit busy, but no counting clicks. Thanks I had not seen that before.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Check out Nikon (I love there glass) and the price is good for what you get.
http://www.nikonhunting.com/spoton/

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The Nikon BDC, used with the Spot-On program http://www.nikonhunting.com/SpotOnRegistration/ will cover just about any cartridge you can come up with.

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!