Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 2:53 PM

Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-09-2012, 8:57 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

I sure hope Parkinson is a 1 term'r.

Old 03-10-2012, 6:31 AM

Parkinson turned down my CCW last year, I have not to date tried again, but I have been on his facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ian-Pa...n/113528250399. Trying to get him to go to the Sheriffs meetings in Nevada.
http://www.countysheriffproject.org/. Maybe he would learn something, who knows?

Last edited by sonnyca; 03-10-2012 at 6:35 AM..
Old 03-10-2012, 9:06 PM

Default Some hope from SLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Thanks, Dick. That helps. I've been doing some research as I am going to submit an application soon.

Thanks again,

Steve
Hi, I have been following this thread with interest-here's some encouragment. I received my CCW from Ian last week and the process seemed straightforward and painless, I can tell you I am not any kind of Judicial System/Security Employee, Medical or Legal Professional, Firearms Dealer, Jeweler, or Cash Courier, I AM just a "Regular Joe" who made sure to be polite, respectful, and put some thought and professionalism into his "good cause". Just for myself I would have to say Ian and the SLO Sheriff's Dept. are willing to work with you if you follow the proper procedures.
Old 03-10-2012, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisHawker View Post
Hi, I have been following this thread with interest-here's some encouragment. I received my CCW from Ian last week and the process seemed straightforward and painless, I can tell you I am not any kind of Judicial System/Security Employee, Medical or Legal Professional, Firearms Dealer, Jeweler, or Cash Courier, I AM just a "Regular Joe" who made sure to be polite, respectful, and put some thought and professionalism into his "good cause". Just for myself I would have to say Ian and the SLO Sheriff's Dept. are willing to work with you if you follow the proper procedures.
Well now, that is one heck of a first post.

It was nice of Mr. Parkinson to 'allow' you to exercise your civil rights after bending over backwards to be polite, respectful, thoughtful, and professional. Too bad that law abiding citizens have to beg an agent of the government to be enjoined with their civil rights. Sorry, I have zero use for any agent of the government that oppresses the civil rights of law abiding citizens. It is my opinion that Parkinson & his ilk should be jailed and lose all of his worldly possessions for gross violations of this section of California Civil Code.

The can now go report back to his boss everything that I have said here.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Peace

Sorry If I offended you- I agree it would be great if we could just write "Second Amendment Rights" as our good cause and be done with it, but it is what it is and it seems if you work within the framework that the issuing authority lays down you have a lot better shot at getting the permit, no?

Being polite, respectful, and professional equate with "bending over backward" and "begging"? Really? I think all those attributes work well in everyday life with everyone I meet, I never think I am demeaning myself by exercising them....and they must not have hurt my chances since I now have the CCW.

I just wanted to let ya'll know it's not hopeless with SLO....

Didn't know there was a initiation period before a Newbie like me could make a "heck of a first post"... I should start over: "Hiya, I'm new here! How ya doin?

Take care and hope the day will come when we are a shall issue State and this is all moot.
Old 03-12-2012, 6:38 AM

Cool

I didn't take offense to the post, but am a little jealous, A year ago I applied and was polite and so forth, but was turned down. I don't know if it was because Ian Parkinson had just became Sheriff, or not. Maybe over the last year he has become a little more lenient. Maybe I should try again.
Old 03-12-2012, 8:17 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyca View Post
I didn't take offense to the post, but am a little jealous, A year ago I applied and was polite and so forth, but was turned down. I don't know if it was because Ian Parkinson had just became Sheriff, or not. Maybe over the last year he has become a little more lenient. Maybe I should try again.
Hi- I was replying to choprzrul not to everyone-oops, should have put his reply to me in quotes, my bad.

It's very possible Ian and SLOSD has just recently decided to be more constitutionally-minded and 2nd friendly, and politeness or lack of it had nothing to do with my approval, education is a ongoing process with all of us and he might have become enlightened.

My only point of posting was to let people know some good came out of SLOSD recently. And that my circumstances were nothing "special" yet they still issued. And what my attitude was-ya know the old saw about flies and honey..I forget the exact quote I sure don't think it would hurt for you to try again?

Hope you get it!
Old 03-12-2012, 3:34 PM

HarrisHawker, Thank you for taking the time to come on here and give us the details of your experience. I for one appreciate the information.

Welcome to Calguns, and I apologize for the rude reception you got earlier.

chorzrul, do you have anything like an ip address search leading back to the sheriffs office or some other kind of proof? If not where do you get off calling the guy out as a troll?
Old 03-12-2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGrid View Post
HarrisHawker, Thank you for taking the time to come on here and give us the details of your experience. I for one appreciate the information.

chorzrul, do you have anything like an ip address search leading back to the sheriffs office or some other kind of proof? If not where do you get off calling the guy out as a troll?
Thanks for the welcome and the thoughts...

Let me just say I don't have any problem with choprzrul, so no worries, no need for him to justify anything, not here for a flame war!

We are all on the same side and in reading thru this thread, he and others had some real bad experiences with SLOSD, my experience doesn't negate that and I can sympathize with them. I think he was just venting and respect that, nobody to my mind that is a law abiding citizen should be denied, period. Unfortunately-as we all know we're not there yet and the only way there seems to be keep on working at it, legally, politically-and to me, by maintaining civility with the powers that be, since I can't see how it helps to antagonize 'em. Being Civil and pandering or kowtowing are not the same thing to my mind, but choprzrul is entitled to his opinion about SLOPD. Hopefully he can see I'M not his problem. I am a Noob here and maybe with the involved initial post I walked into the bar and started playin pool without laying down my quarters I'd buy chop a drink If I met him in person and listen to him vent! Off the soapbox now...
Old 03-12-2012, 8:02 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Got denied twice last year and once this year. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since before joining the Army in 1986. Been through the background check to volunteer at my local PD and was fully approved to provide computer forensics volunteer work. In my last application sent in after the first of the year, I used a mirror image of the GC that my boss used to get his LTC. Since he and I travel to exactly the same areas and are exposed to exactly the same risks, I see some very serious issues with Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment with this last application.

To be frank, I am quite upset that an elected official is actively separating me from exercising my civil rights. There have been far too many people who have fought and died securing those rights over the last 237 years for some jackwagon to become the sole arbiter of allowing/denying those rights. I only hope that some small part of my applications can be used by Team CGF to separate the county of SLO from some $$$ to further the advancement of civil rights for all.

I offer my sincerest apology for jumping all over HarrisHawker. I'm hyper-sensitive to anything having to do with SLOSD & his #1 post sounded like a PR post. I offer my congratulations on obtaining your LTC. I look forward to reading your GC when CGF Sunshine releases the results of their FOIA request. Again, my apologies.

Old 03-13-2012, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Got denied twice last year and once this year. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket since before joining the Army in 1986. Been through the background check to volunteer at my local PD and was fully approved to provide computer forensics volunteer work. In my last application sent in after the first of the year, I used a mirror image of the GC that my boss used to get his LTC. Since he and I travel to exactly the same areas and are exposed to exactly the same risks, I see some very serious issues with Equal Protection under the 14th Amendment with this last application.

To be frank, I am quite upset that an elected official is actively separating me from exercising my civil rights. There have been far too many people who have fought and died securing those rights over the last 237 years for some jackwagon to become the sole arbiter of allowing/denying those rights. I only hope that some small part of my applications can be used by Team CGF to separate the county of SLO from some $$$ to further the advancement of civil rights for all.

I offer my sincerest apology for jumping all over HarrisHawker. I'm hyper-sensitive to anything having to do with SLOSD & his #1 post sounded like a PR post. I offer my congratulations on obtaining your LTC. I look forward to reading your GC when CGF Sunshine releases the results of their FOIA request. Again, my apologies.

choprzrul, no harm no foul. I read many of your other posts and am familiar with your town hall meeting actions trying to draw Ian's attention to the LTC issue, and fully understand your frustration, I share it. The issue to my mind will not be resolved until Cal is a shall issue state, period. That should be the ultimate goal...meantime we can try to educate the local elected/installed powers, and vote when election time comes for the "best option" but it is not going to fix the problem. So the way I look at it is to work with what's there, and be as civil as possible, hope for the best outcome individually. By the way- did you ever try thru Grover PD? A workmate who lives in AG had no problem getting his LTC thru AGPD- not sure if Grover has a MOU with SLOPD but if not that would be your best bet?
Old 03-13-2012, 6:49 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
choprzrul, no harm no foul. I read many of your other posts and am familiar with your town hall meeting actions trying to draw Ian's attention to the LTC issue, and fully understand your frustration, I share it. The issue to my mind will not be resolved until Cal is a shall issue state, period. That should be the ultimate goal...meantime we can try to educate the local elected/installed powers, and vote when election time comes for the "best option" but it is not going to fix the problem. So the way I look at it is to work with what's there, and be as civil as possible, hope for the best outcome individually. By the way- did you ever try thru Grover PD? A workmate who lives in AG had no problem getting his LTC thru AGPD- not sure if Grover has a MOU with SLOPD but if not that would be your best bet?
I know Chief Copsey of GBPD personally & can assure you that there is zero chance of getting a LTC from him. He doesn't even allow his reserve officers to CCW off duty. One of the 'Right People' described Grover's LTC policy as one of the worst ones that they have ever seen & contains many illegal provisions.

I am seriously thinking of applying a 4th time & citing all of the regs that prevent me from bearing arms for the purpose of self defense. The only avenue left to exercise my civil rights is a LTC. Failing to allow a law abiding citizen to exercise their civil rights surely means that SLOSD is accepting full responsibility for my personal welfare and will be liable should any harm come to me. Perhaps an essay on Heller, McDonald, CA civil code 52.3, 18USC241, and others would assist his understanding of civil rights.

I guess that in simplest terms, I am completely frustrated with continuing to being separated from all of my civil rights. It is simply wrong and someone should be held accountable.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I know Chief Copsey of GBPD personally & can assure you that there is zero chance of getting a LTC from him. He doesn't even allow his reserve officers to CCW off duty. One of the 'Right People' described Grover's LTC policy as one of the worst ones that they have ever seen & contains many illegal provisions.

I am seriously thinking of applying a 4th time & citing all of the regs that prevent me from bearing arms for the purpose of self defense. The only avenue left to exercise my civil rights is a LTC. Failing to allow a law abiding citizen to exercise their civil rights surely means that SLOSD is accepting full responsibility for my personal welfare and will be liable should any harm come to me. Perhaps an essay on Heller, McDonald, CA civil code 52.3, 18USC241, and others would assist his understanding of civil rights.

I guess that in simplest terms, I am completely frustrated with continuing to being separated from all of my civil rights. It is simply wrong and someone should be held accountable.

Sounds like Copsey is more of your problem than Ian? As far as I know, a Municipal LEA has sole say over approval unless they secede that (via a MOA) to the County? It seems possible SLOSD might have approved you if you were in an unincorporated area (though I know they don't always do so just for that reason) -but is looking at your address and deferring to GBPD. Even IF it were possible for the County to countermand a Muni's approval process-remember there is professional courtesy big-time among LEA's and it would be quite the toe-stepping if SLOSD approved what GBPD denied. Did SLOSD ever tell you to apply 1st to GBPD?

I would reapply in the manner you outline above but to GBPD, Copsey sounds like he is a bigger issue than Ian and if you are going all-out shouldn't you direct it at the major culprit? Looking at it like- at least SLOSD is meeting us a quarter of the way if not halfway, and GBPD is meeting us not at all.

I really do understand your frustration...where is the California shall issue!!!???

BTW- How can it be that GBPD does not allow their LEO's to CCW off-duty? I thought LEOSA/HR218 took precedence over any local prohibitions?

Last edited by HarrisHawker; 03-13-2012 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: add comment
Old 03-13-2012, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Follow what Wildhawker has to say in threads.

Basically, PC mandates CA county sheriffs to process LTC apps and makes no mention that an SD can legally deny an app based upon applicants address. Mandating that an applicant first apply to a municipality is NOT based on what the PC says.

Trust me, my first stop was my local PD.

Stop and think about the Pismo Beach & dunes area. Our population can easily swell to double that of residents when you count visitors. Those visitors are largely coming from CA counties that freely issue permits to carry. If armed citizens were a problem, you soon hear about it around here.

Nope, this isn't a gun issue. This is a control issue. SLOSD routinely violates civil rights so that they can feel like big men who control the population.

Old 03-15-2012, 6:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
What was your "good cause"? To help everyone.
Old 03-16-2012, 3:41 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
What was your "good cause"? To help everyone.
Kinda like to know that myself...

Old 03-16-2012, 6:44 PM

Default Cause

My GC was (not verbatim but the gist...) I live in a remote corner of the County and am often in even more remote areas practicing my sport that I have engaged in for the last 35+ years (look at my avatar and you will figure out my sport) on lands I have permission to be on, and at times have been accosted on those lands by people who do NOT have permission to be there-and would like the means to be my own 1st responder since I am far from timely response from LEA.
Old 03-17-2012, 9:19 PM
Banned

So....if I go shooting in the remote parts of SLO county "practicing my sports". There are documented drug farmers who will kill anyone who stumbles upon their patch of Marijauna, I should be able to get a LTC from the SLO county sheriff. Right. I'm surprised the Sheriff didn't tell you to move into town and not "practice your sport" in areas where you could be "accosted" by criminal trespassers. The standard response I have actually heard from our Sheriff is call 911 if you feel threatened.
Old 03-18-2012, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
So....if I go shooting in the remote parts of SLO county "practicing my sports". There are documented drug farmers who will kill anyone who stumbles upon their patch of Marijauna, I should be able to get a LTC from the SLO county sheriff. Right. I'm surprised the Sheriff didn't tell you to move into town and not "practice your sport" in areas where you could be "accosted" by criminal trespassers. The standard response I have actually heard from our Sheriff is call 911 if you feel threatened.
Yes-you should be issued for the cause you outlined, also (assuming you are a law-abiding citizen) for any other cause whatsoever, until the day when we can just dispense with it and put "2nd amendment", which is what we are all are supposed to be working toward here. Try your post this way- leave out the "Right" and substitute "I'm happy" for "I'm surprised".

Wildhawker replied to choprzrul in an earlier post: "I admire your tenacity, and trust me, it's necessary if you're going to survive as a gun rights activist. However, let's not be antagonistic without some potential for return"

What are we doing here-just venting when the powers that be DON'T issue and also venting (and being sarcastic) when they DO issue? What about being glad for incremental progress and working in a constructive way to continue the educational/legal actions?

When we have a chance to personally interact with the issuing agency or comment about them- why not be as civil as we can-do we want to harden or soften issuing agency attitude toward us? Which avenue is more likely to yield results and to help our fellow CalGunners in their efforts to obtain LTC's?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Was in the class recently and most seemed to be the "regular joe" type. The instructor was saying he's been teaching more classes than he ever has. I guess it's all about the letter you write and your background. The instructor did advise me to look more dressed up when I went to the interview than i was in the class. Easy process, though mine was a shoo in. Everyone was pretty cool at the SLO station and Morro Bay PD was quick about getting me my good intention denial ASAP. Keep your head up folks.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 05-03-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 05-18-2012, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Was in the class recently and most seemed to be the "regular joe" type. The instructor was saying he's been teaching more classes than he ever has. I guess it's all about the letter you write and your background. The instructor did advise me to look more dressed up when I went to the interview than i was in the class. Easy process, though mine was a shoo in. Everyone was pretty cool at the SLO station and Morro Bay PD was quick about getting me my good intention denial ASAP. Keep your head up folks.
Good to hear, deckhandmike. Congrats! Can you give us info on how yours was a shoo in?

Thanks!
Old 05-21-2012, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Happy for you! I also (and all here, I'm sure) would-- like SteveG, be interested in hearing some elaboration of the "shoo in" comment? I know we'd ALL like to be shoo-ins!
Old 07-22-2012, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

FYI. Just prepared applications for my wife and I. They will go in the mail tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 07-22-2012, 9:54 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck. Unfortunately you'll need lots of it.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 AM

choprzrul, good luck. Are you aware that they now require three letters (at least three) of "character reference" from people other than family members? Just found that out last thursday. Dick
Old 07-23-2012, 6:12 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick's Shootin' Irons View Post
choprzrul, good luck. Are you aware that they now require three letters (at least three) of "character reference" from people other than family members? Just found that out last thursday. Dick
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.

They don't mention that on their application.

Anyway, I have no problem gathering 3 letters from highly trusted community leaders. One of which has a LTC from the sheriff.

Old 08-08-2012, 7:02 PM

Well Choprzul, any news? Hope it is all good.
Old 08-12-2012, 8:59 PM
Calguns Addict

As far as "shoo in" I work for an agency that handles criminals. Not a LEO, but work hand in hand.

Last edited by deckhandmike; 08-12-2012 at 9:02 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 10:32 AM

Any ETA on getting the good cause statements for SLO?
Old 08-17-2012, 8:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $P-Ritch$ View Post
While there are a lot of those annoying wannabe hippies and know it all college students in this town, it is a really great town. Then, if you need to vent, just drive a few miles up the 1 and go to one of the many matches held at SLOSA every weekend. I have never lived so close to such an active sporting club. They do matches of Trap, Skeet, IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel Challenge, SASS, 3-gun, Take-5 Rimfire, High Power Rifle, Tactical, and I'm sure there's a couple more I'm missing. Point being, there's plenty of fun to be had in SLO for a gunnie and if these hopes of a more fair CCW issuance policy eventually come to fruition that will just be icing on the cake.
"Wanna hippies?" Hmmm...

The real plague here on the Central Coast is white trash from the San Joaquin Valley with their Confederate Battle Flags and "visitors" from the north and south.

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 08-18-2012, 6:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ian Parkinson now requires three character reference letters to renew or obtain your LTC. Now that you know this in advance you can seek out people that look good on paper and are known in the community like gun store owners, LTC instructors, battalion chiefs (fire cops), LEOs, doctors, lawyers, Indian Chiefs and Candlestick Makers.

Just a heads up to be prepared. You also get to face to face wiith the new undersheriff.... Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_1 View Post
Any ETA on getting the good cause statements for SLO?
I really want to see them... they wanted $2K in copy costs when I tried to get a copy.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Any news on getting the good cause statements for SLO
Old 11-11-2012, 9:09 PM

Any recent news on good cause statements?

-scott
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGrid View Post

If someone is upset by something someone else posts and they have absolutely no reason to be upset, their default action on these forums seems to be to label the other person a "troll."

Very sad but true...

The right to keep and bear arms comes not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.
Old 11-14-2012, 5:34 AM

I just renewed a couple months ago
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

You have been denied 3 times and you think you might actually be approved on your 4th attempt? What makes you believe that? Or do you just want to engage in some theatrics?

Based on the tenor of your posts I suspect your applications/interviews have quite an edge to them. The sort of edge that gets you rejected.

I think the best way to handle a CCW application would be to handle it like a job interview. Prepared, serious, humble. It doesn't sound like your ego allows you to do that. You want to "demand your rights" and all that ends-up doing is ensuring that you are rejected once more.

Old 11-19-2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
I just renewed a couple months ago
Can you tell us if it is true SD demanded 3 letters of reference for them to consider/process your renewal?
Old 11-20-2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Can you tell us if it is true SD demanded 3 letters of reference for them to consider/process your renewal?
I did not need any letters to renew.
Closed Thread