Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-05-2022, 9:23 PM

Default CCW (Prior Convictions)

When I was a teenager I was charged with discharging a firearm in city limits and possession of a loaded firearm. Stupid me took the blame for an ex-friend who shot it.
Years later I had it reduced to a misdemeanor and dismissed or expunged. I have to dig out the paperwork the judge signed.

On a second charge I was charged with fraud, cashing a couple checks. I had just started construction and did a job for some sketchy people. I thought nothing of it at the time. A few years later I was charged for it. Now I have a contractors license and am very selective who I work for. I paid the money back. Also years later I have had it reduced to a misdemeanor and dismissed or expunged need to check signed order by judge.

Fast forward 18 years later I have not had any new charges. I volunteered at the Red Cross for 7 years, donate my construction services to non profits and schools, have become an NRA shooting coach (volunteer). I look back and I'm ashamed of my younger years.
I spoke to a CCW instructor and he said if I can own a gun I can get a CCW. I did explain my circumstances to him.
I read that as long as you have not been in trouble for 5 years+ you can be eligible.
What do you think my odds are of getting a CCW?
Thank you in advance!!!
Please no criticism just constructive replies.
Old 06-05-2022, 9:32 PM
Calguns Addict

How could you! Jk

It would help to know what county you are applying in.

It does make a difference. But as always, theyd be the ones to ask as they will make the final decision in issuing.

iTrader
Old 06-05-2022, 9:43 PM

Placer County
Old 06-05-2022, 11:36 PM

expunged doesn't mean they are gone forever, volunteering, donating work skills and NRA shooting coach are fine but imo, don't mean to much, but it all hinges on the Issuing Agency. Get a back ground check done and go from there, tell the TRUTH on the back ground investigation, do not lie ever
Good Luck My Friend
Old 06-06-2022, 5:54 AM

Thank you for the reply.
Old 06-06-2022, 6:10 AM

Yeah, just disclose it all. They can and more than likely will find any past interactions with law enforcement. My processor asked me about a criminal damage complaint that I was a reporting party to when I was growing up in AZ. I was probably 10-15 years old at that time, I'm 40 now . So they went pretty deep
Old 06-06-2022, 6:11 AM

Lots of people did stupid things as kids. Apply and be up front with your history, because it'll be there anyway. The last 18 years are clearly in your favor.

And remember, in today's world they forgive murderers if they did the killing before age 25. Your history is not that impressive overall as compared to them.
Old 06-06-2022, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

IMO they might look at the discharging a firearm/loaded firearm charge a red flag. If they find out/you disclose it.

Good luck though.
Old 06-06-2022, 6:39 AM
Veteran Member

Just be open and honest and hope for the best.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:27 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

OP... I am not going to list everything I was charged with and convicted of when I was young... but it included hard drugs and major vehicle code violations. All misdemeanors, but it was extensive.

San Bernardino county was only interested in my full disclosure and my recent history which was clean for 30 years. No problem, just don't lie or knowingly omit anything and in most cases you should be fine. Bring whatever supporting paperwork to your interview and be prepared to explain things if they ask.

Good on you for getting your life squared up, it's a better way to live.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:23 AM

Thank you all for the positive responses. I will apply and be 100% truthful and what happens after that is God's will.

Much appreciated,

WillyKat
Old 06-07-2022, 12:43 PM

OP, I'd recommend the disclosure as early in the process as possible, and don't keep it a secret that you are willing to withdraw your application based on the reactions of the investigating officer.

Why?

If you denied the CCW, you'll have to disclose that on all future CCW applications. This will make the apparently uphill battle much steeper. If you withdraw your application, hopefully time will help level out your journey. Hopefully, this advice will not be necessary.
Old 06-08-2022, 2:55 AM

The guys running the Placer CCW unit are very understanding that we are all human. Honesty and a good track record since your younger days give you a good chance in my opinion. Find all your paperwork regarding the case and bring it to your interview.
Old 06-08-2022, 6:25 AM

I will do that. Thank you much!
Old 06-08-2022, 7:23 AM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk2dave View Post
OP, I'd recommend the disclosure as early in the process as possible, and don't keep it a secret that you are willing to withdraw your application based on the reactions of the investigating officer.

Why?

If you denied the CCW, you'll have to disclose that on all future CCW applications. This will make the apparently uphill battle much steeper. If you withdraw your application, hopefully time will help level out your journey. Hopefully, this advice will not be necessary.
That may be good advice in some areas, but Placer has a denial appeal process and people in the OP shoes have won appeals after denial.

So in Placer County, I personally would not withdraw your application during or after the interview process unless the past history was close in time or extremely egregious and the investigator was giving all kinds of ominous vibes.

An appeal gets your CCW application a fresh look by higher ups, possibly even by the Sheriff himself/herself, and gives you an opportunity to make a case and present character references etc that will otherwise typically never be considered during a normal process. In fact if you have such a history that makes you borderline, the appeal process may be the best chance you will ever get in this state.

Having to disclose you were previously denied is unfortunately the least of worries for some applicants who have bigger hurdles to clear.

However if you deal with an IA that has no appeal process, then yes perhaps pulling the ripcord early is something to consider.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-08-2022 at 7:35 AM..
Old 06-08-2022, 7:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Unless there are actual bodies buried, what you did 18 years ago is less important than what you’ve done since.

Don’t fall on your sword over this. The experiences you’ve had make you the man you are today and will be tomorrow.

Most cops understand that.

Best.
Old 06-08-2022, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Hmm, you're going to have a minor uphill battle for a CCW.
However, seeing how you are familiar with misdemeanors....
Old 06-08-2022, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
That may be good advice in some areas, but Placer has a denial appeal process and people in the OP shoes have won appeals after denial.

So in Placer County, I personally would not withdraw your application during or after the interview process unless the past history was close in time or extremely egregious and the investigator was giving all kinds of ominous vibes.

An appeal gets your CCW application a fresh look by higher ups, possibly even by the Sheriff himself/herself, and gives you an opportunity to make a case and present character references etc that will otherwise typically never be considered during a normal process. In fact if you have such a history that makes you borderline, the appeal process may be the best chance you will ever get in this state.

Having to disclose you were previously denied is unfortunately the least of worries for some applicants who have bigger hurdles to clear.

However if you deal with an IA that has no appeal process, then yes perhaps pulling the ripcord early is something to consider.
For the record, I have no experience with withdrawing an application or with Placer Co. I'm in Ventura County. So Skyhawk's advice may be the way to go, depending on the reactions of the investigating officer. If they are on the fence, OP may want to push on. My interest is for the OP to achieve the intended goal as soon as possible.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:21 AM

Clearly, nobody can tell you if you have a chance or not. But if you don't apply, you surely will not get approved. Keep in mind that there will be an in-person interview, and that's when you can present yourself in a favorable way.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:40 AM

I had a DUI conviction in 1978, but nothing else besides a couple speeding tickets since then, I told them about the DUI on my initial CCW application here in Sac County, it was no problem.
Old 06-08-2022, 9:30 PM

Once again, thank you all who have replied regarding my question. I truly appreciate all of your opinions and will be definitely be applying.

Sincerely,

Willy Kat