Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 08-29-2019, 7:53 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Default Henry has a new 22LR smoothbore garden lever gun

Pests have been warned.

The black ash furniture is pretty cool!

https://www.henryusa.com/shotgun/gar...smoothbore-22/

https://youtu.be/stuL6O-duVg

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-01-2019 at 3:28 PM..
Old 08-29-2019, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Now this is just based on my experience from a long time ago using what I believe were the early, original CCI 22 long rifle / with a blue plastic cup for the shotshell cartridges.
They came with a chromed or nickeld case and the blue plastic shot cup, in fact if you go to that link post it above and scroll through the two pictures they have the rifle you'll actually see the exact same type of round.

Well some just from my youth based shooting at different items from cans to different thicknesses of paper and cardboard and what I would call Totally unscientific testing....

I found the round to be very weak (being shot out of a normally rifled Ruger 10/22).

You might kill (or more likely wound) a chickadee or a weak thin skinned mouse IF you got a direct hit , with most of the shot pellets right on target, from pretty close distances ( the type of close distances no mouse or bird would let you get close to.)

It's possible they were losing some of their power trying to cycle the action of that semi-auto or maybe CCI has upped the power of those little .22 caliber long rifle shot shells but I'm not sure I would consider something like this for Real pest control unless the pest were really small weak and in the same small room with you.

That all said, I do agree with you OP that that black Ash wood furniture looks great and there was a time when 22 smoothboars were popular,
so maybe my testing was like I said totally unscientific or previously designed older 22 shotshell cartridges ( the older style crimped tip type) where more powerful.

Either way, thank you OP for posting this something new and different (that once was old and commonplace) is now back in the 22 long rifle world.

Last edited by sealocan; 08-29-2019 at 8:37 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 8:39 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Yes garden guns were pretty popular back in the day. Most used a weird cartridge though. Hopefully someone will do some real world ballistics/pest control tests with this one and post up some videos

Still can't take my eyes off that black ash wood.

Old 08-29-2019, 8:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Look what I just learned from Wikipedia ( on their page about .22 long rifle shot shells that included a picture of the CCI blue plastic cap type) that might explain just one of the reasons I was getting such bad performance firing those shot shells out of my Ruger 10/22...

".... The most common snake shot cartridge is .22 Long Rifle loaded with #12 shot. From a standard rifle these can produce effective patterns only to a distance of about 3 metres (10 ft) - but in a smoothbore shotgun (or Garden Gun) this can extend as far as 15 metres (50 ft). "
Old 08-29-2019, 8:45 AM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

It is a nice looking gun, but being a city slicker, this one seems like too much of a limited market.

Interesting though, thanks OP.
Old 08-29-2019, 8:48 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
Look what I just learned from Wikipedia ( on their page about .22 long rifle shot shells that included a picture of the CCI blue plastic cap type) that might explain just one of the reasons I was getting such bad performance firing those shot shells out of my Ruger 10/22...

".... The most common snake shot cartridge is .22 Long Rifle loaded with #12 shot. From a standard rifle these can produce effective patterns only to a distance of about 3 metres (10 ft) - but in a smoothbore shotgun (or Garden Gun) this can extend as far as 15 metres (50 ft). "
Henry also said something similar on the webpage:

Quote:
Using shotshell with a rifled barrel spreads the shot pattern too wide to be effective and damages the rifling over time, which is why our Garden Gun features an 18.5” round blued steel barrel that is void of any rifling, providing the perfect platform for slinging .22 LR shotshell projectiles in a tight pattern. And with a 15-round capacity there is plenty to go around.
We should see some pattern test videos and real world stuff soon, if Youtube doesn't give in to PETA to pull videos of rats being shot.

Old 08-29-2019, 8:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Would this be considered a shotgun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 08-29-2019, 8:58 AM

I use my Ruger Single Six with shot shells for pests around our little farm (mostly rats in the barn). This is close range stuff and the quick handling of a revolver is crucial in hitting those fast buggers.

The cost of ammo makes it almost impossible to play around (and have fun) with a gun like the Henry, so this will be a somewhat expensive single use weapon. Unless one is pestered with a good supply of rodents, it is going to sit in the corner for 99% of the time.

Dan
Old 08-29-2019, 10:49 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
Would this be considered a shotgun?
I don’t think so, since it does not fire shotgun shells.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=17190.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
The cost of ammo makes it almost impossible to play around (and have fun) with a gun like the Henry, so this will be a somewhat expensive single use weapon. Unless one is pestered with a good supply of rodents, it is going to sit in the corner for 99% of the time.

Dan
Perhaps if the demand goes up for the ammo, the price will come down a bit. Not sure if Henry will sell enough of these to make such a difference though.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 08-29-2019 at 10:51 AM..
Old 08-29-2019, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post

In a rifled bore, the plastic or shot spins with the rifling. As it exits the muzzle, the centrifugal force takes over, making the shot depart from center mass. In effect, you have a spinning pattern that rapidly expands as it goes forward. That doesn't happen in a smooth bore.
I use to load Speer shot caps for two snubbies .38spcl and .44spcl, I carried on the ranch for a plague of rattle snakes we had. Pure beeswax poured into the shot cup would hold the shot together for better range and pattern. At an average of 5yrds, it only took one round.
Old 08-31-2019, 9:08 AM

I saw a comparison of the regular Henry lever action .22 and their garden gun shooting shotshells on Youtube. The Garden Gun did pattern much nicer and further than the rifled version.

I used to run the Mo-Skeet-O range at Boy Scout camp which shot mini clay pigeons with Remington single shot .22 shotguns and the crimped cartridges. I prefer the old style to the plastic cup. It was surprisingly effective, and it worked on bats, too.... My brothers and I used to bait rats at night on the front porch of my uncle's cabin with crackers and then shoot them with .22 shotshells out of .22 revolvers. Hit them with the flashlight in the left hand and the gun in the right.
Old 09-01-2019, 2:26 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

^^^ Found that video by 22 Plinkster

https://youtu.be/stuL6O-duVg

Old 09-01-2019, 2:44 PM

Buddy and I tried shooting "trap" with these .22 shotshells once. 3 foot underhand toss, 4 3/4" barreled pistol. Couldn't break a clay in 10 shots. So I held point blank on a clay that was stationary on the ground 2 feet away. Didnt break. So at least we didnt just miss all those shots.

I had never thought about the rifling's effect on the pattern. But it wouldn't have killed a snake. Maybe poked its eye out.
Old 09-01-2019, 4:10 PM
Calguns Addict

That smoothbore Henry is pretty slick. But for $419 I'd rather get one of these Gamo airgun shotguns instead - for less than half the price:

It's also quiet compared to a .22 shotshell.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-01-2019, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Many years ago my grandmother kept a Remington smoothbore pump 22 next to the back door it was loaded with the crimped shot shells she had a huge garden out back and used that rifle to keep critters out of her garden. I think my cousin ended up with it.

Old 09-01-2019, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

A guy named Routledge made an improvement over the standard smooth bore by opening up the last 6"s or so of the barrel to something close to a .410, vastly improving the shot pattern. A lot of older Remington, Winchester, etc. were done like this and the barrels marked "Routledge Bore". They bring a premium on the auctions, only so many were made in different models.
Old 09-02-2019, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
That smoothbore Henry is pretty slick. But for $419 I'd rather get one of these Gamo airgun shotguns instead - for less than half the price:

It's also quiet compared to a .22 shotshell.
This looks cool (we could really use something like this on our little farm) but I don't see it on Gamo's website.

Dan
Old 09-02-2019, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Reminiscent of my Stephens Favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-02-2019, 8:53 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This looks cool (we could really use something like this on our little farm) but I don't see it on Gamo's website.

Dan
https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Gamo_...gun_Rifle/1020

The only problem I have with it, not heirloom and there is no question it will need to be rebuilt in&every 10-20yrs (seals and maybe main spring). Also, it is a single shot. Make it count

On the plus side, it is probably quieter and can be used in areas that the 22 cannot.

The Henry may be under $399 and maybe even $349 before too long.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 09-02-2019 at 9:20 AM..
Old 09-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Dan
Buy it here.

Get an extra 12% off and free shipping with the code "12off". The deal ends today.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 09-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stroke View Post
Buddy and I tried shooting "trap" with these .22 shotshells once. 3 foot underhand toss, 4 3/4" barreled pistol. Couldn't break a clay in 10 shots. So I held point blank on a clay that was stationary on the ground 2 feet away. Didnt break. So at least we didnt just miss all those shots.

I had never thought about the rifling's effect on the pattern. But it wouldn't have killed a snake. Maybe poked its eye out.
We used to shoot special plastic skeet made for 22 shot. They popped apart when hit and snapped back together, completely reusable. But the rifles we used had barrels with a bigger boar once you got past the chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
We used to shoot special plastic skeet made for 22 shot. They popped apart when hit and snapped back together, completely reusable. But the rifles we used had barrels with a bigger boar once you got past the chamber.
For a couple years, the camp went to Crosman air powered single shot shotguns styled to look a bit like a Rem 1100. They used a plastic reusable shell about the diameter of a .38. You put in a plastic base wad, dumped in enough shot to fill it and topped it with another plastic wad. The pigeons were a two piece yellow plastic pigeon. Everything but the shot was reusable. The pigeons did not fly very fast or far, but worked well for kids getting started. It was a pain to reload the ammo every night, put the pigeons back together, etc. Plus the guns had to be recharged fairly often during the day. They went back to the .22 shotguns and mini "Mo-Skeet-O" clay pigeons after a year or two.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wonder how loud it is?

Old 09-02-2019, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

tag