Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-20-2019, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I looked at the Heritage revolvers and passed, just couldn't stomach the quality level. Will definitely have to give the new Ruger a look so that my Henry rimfire can have a companion piece.
Old 04-20-2019, 4:30 PM

Interesting that it weighs the same (30 oz.) as my SP-101 8-shot .22 in all stainless. I wonder where the weight is?

Dan
Old 04-20-2019, 6:30 PM
Veteran Member

The more I look at this new Ruger, the more I like it. It would be the perfect companion to my Henry H001 lever in 22LR.

I’m not worried about the Ruger having a sleeved cylinder or sleeved barrel. My Henry H001 has a sleeved barrel and it is the most accurate 22 rimfire I’ve owned in over 40 years.
Old 04-20-2019, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I wonder how long it will be before someone strips the coating off and gives them a nice polish.

MLC________________________________

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 04-20-2019, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfletcher View Post

All in all - blech.

I have plenty of Rugers. This won't be one of them.
I must agree - Ruger bean counters have struck again. Lots of molded metal parts and spray paint finish.
Old 04-20-2019, 9:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Alloy cylinders for 22s have been around since 1997.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-317-kit-gun
No doubt it will handle the 22 lr chambering. But as happened with the Smith alloy cylinder the cylinder bolt will very soon score the finish as it drops and drags during cycling.

Blech - again ...
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

-- Michael
Old 04-21-2019, 6:54 AM

Quote:
No doubt it will handle the 22 lr chambering. But as happened with the Smith alloy cylinder the cylinder bolt will very soon score the finish as it drops and drags during cycling.

Blech - again ...
The Wrangler cylinder is made of steel.

Dan
Old 04-21-2019, 6:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
I must agree - Ruger bean counters have struck again. Lots of molded metal parts and spray paint finish.
There are those with limited income who cannot afford the $600+ for a new Single Six. This is likely the direction Ruger decided to take with the Wrangler. The market will determine whether it was successful or not.

I, for one, applaud Ruger for attempting to provide quality firearms at low prices.

Dan
Old 04-21-2019, 8:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergmen View Post
There are those with limited income who cannot afford the $600+ for a new Single Six. This is likely the direction Ruger decided to take with the Wrangler. The market will determine whether it was successful or not.

I, for one, applaud Ruger for attempting to provide quality firearms at low prices.

Dan
Not even just people on a limited income, but for anyone who just wants a .22lr cowboy gun for plinking--why would you spend the $600 on a Single Six when you could spend $150 or so to grab a Heritage when it goes on sale? Smart move by Ruger to expand into this market. I think they will sell these like hotcakes if they are at all decent. I don't give a **** if the grip frame is zinc instead of steel, or if the workmanship is a little rough. I'm not paying $600 for a .22lr plinker revolver when I can get a perfectly functional one for $200.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They are nice looking. First gun in a while that I've seen and said to myself "I have got to get me one of these".
Old 04-21-2019, 10:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Dan
I would agree but not the quality part. Take a look at what they have even done to the 10/22 plastic trigger assembly with molded metal parts - that just their way of saying castings. plastic barrel band & butt plate, painted receiver, 2x4 grade stock or plywood. terrible fit & finish - look how bad the take down fits. This gun is just because Heritage has been cutting into their market share but it's still going to go out the door at least $60 higher - so your intended poor buyer will still be buying Heritage which also includes a 22Mag cylinder not just 22LR.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Reminds me of the little Colt SA Frontier Scout Q type brought out in the early 60's.
Old 04-21-2019, 1:47 PM
Head Janitor

I preordered a Wrangler in silver yesterday at Turners.
We'll see how it is when it comes in but at under $200 out the door with Ruger's warranty and CS backing it up how bad can it be?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 04-21-2019, 8:25 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Waiting for a 3.5” w/birdshead and I’m in for one. If they are out in time and Roseville Turners blows them out at the grand opening, I’d wait in line for one of these first models too.

At least the whole thing isn’t ZAMAC like many of the Heritage models. Grip frames can be replaced, but cylinder frames are the gun.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-21-2019 at 8:29 PM..
Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would agree but not the quality part. Take a look at what they have even done to the 10/22 plastic trigger assembly with molded metal parts - that just their way of saying castings. plastic barrel band & butt plate, painted receiver, 2x4 grade stock or plywood. terrible fit & finish - look how bad the take down fits. This gun is just because Heritage has been cutting into their market share but it's still going to go out the door at least $60 higher - so your intended poor buyer will still be buying Heritage which also includes a 22Mag cylinder not just 22LR.

Iíd rather have Ruger adapt to the market than end up being like Remington. Their line is pretty diverse ATM with rifles at every price point. This model meets a niche their handgun line up since theyíve slowly crept up in price with their other lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Ordering one tomorrow.....I am pretty fired up for a inexpensive .22. I tried my friends RR and it was just too, well rough..for me. We will see how the Ruger compares...
Old 04-22-2019, 2:03 AM

Oh yeah, I'm buying 2 of these.......one for each hand.
Old 04-22-2019, 2:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Wrangler cylinder is made of steel.

Dan
Yes. My mistake - thought "cylinder frame" referenced the cylinder rather than the receiver.
Old 04-22-2019, 2:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Waiting for a 3.5Ē w/birdshead and Iím in for one. If they are out in time and Roseville Turners blows them out at the grand opening, Iíd wait in line for one of these first models too.

At least the whole thing isnít ZAMAC like many of the Heritage models. Grip frames can be replaced, but cylinder frames are the gun.
Turners is opening a store in Roseville? Within about 30 minutes of each other we have a Bass Pro, Turners and Sportsmans Warehouse, that's not too bad.
Old 04-22-2019, 3:18 PM

Put a bronze one on order.
Old 04-22-2019, 3:28 PM

These look to be nice plinkers, and well made for the price. These would be nice firearms to get a youngster into handgun shooting. I have a Single Six Convertible that I love to shoot, but these look pretty sweet.

I liked the Gunblast video review above. Being a guitar picker, and Bluegrass lover, I really liked the music--kind of a down-home mood to the whole thing.
-P
Old 04-22-2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3453 View Post
Put a bronze one on order.
Burnt Bronze with grips of lumber for the win!

Dan
Old 04-22-2019, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Probably a steel lined alloy barrel judging by its girth.
I would certainly hope so. Imagine the weight if it's all steel with a .22 hole in it!

All & all... probably a "no."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 04-22-2019, 5:46 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Turners is opening a store in Roseville? Within about 30 minutes of each other we have a Bass Pro, Turners and Sportsmans Warehouse, that's not too bad.
It is already open I believe, just waiting for the official grand opening sale weekend now.
Old 04-23-2019, 4:49 PM

Yes they are open in Roseville. I ordered one there yesterday.
Old 04-23-2019, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Based on the pictures of the Rough Rider and Wrangler, the Ruger is a lot cleaner and looks like it has a lot better fit and finish. I've only ever handled the Rough Rider, obviously. Also, the Ruger has a steel cylinder and CHF barrel. I've heard some good things about the Rough Riders, but also some not so good things. They're a $130 gun after all. $60 more isn't bad for a 'Merican made .22.

Single Six and Bearcats are in the $500-600 range, street price. You're not going to get machined steel anything for $200 any more. Ruger bringing these to market at a sub $200 street price while still paying US workers to make them is quite impressive. Also, I have no doubt Ruger will back them should there ever be an issue.

Expecting a company, any company to make things the same way they did 50 years ago while still paying American workers to do it and remain competitive isn't realistic.

I want one.
Old 04-23-2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1911 View Post
Does this little revolver look interesting anyone else or is it just me?

https://www.ruger.com/products/wrangler/models.html

I want one of the silver ones.

I pass... my Rought Rider was 129 and I think is better build, but I rather get a da/sa one vs single action!
Old 04-24-2019, 5:37 AM

Preordered my all black one at Turner's yesterday. Why would anyone buy a Rough Rider (I have owned one) when for a few more dollars you could own a Ruger? $180, are you kidding me?

Edit: Changed my order to the burnt bronze, just looks too sexy.

Last edited by Sequencer60; 04-28-2019 at 1:53 PM.. Reason: details
Old 04-24-2019, 6:38 AM

Ordered the burnt bronze one from my local FFL. Her price is $185 which is only $0.02 more than Turner's after adding their $5 fee. Great part is she's only 1/2 mile from where I live & very fast with the paperwork.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Lack of a swing out cylinder kinda kills it for me as a plinker, I gotta say. Just no fun to unload one chamber at a time.
Old 04-24-2019, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
Lack of a swing out cylinder kinda kills it for me as a plinker, I gotta say. Just no fun to unload one chamber at a time.
This is what makes me hesitate too. A single shot bolt action 22 seems less cumbersome.
Old 04-24-2019, 2:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewN View Post
I find it kinda fun to see how fast I can unload empties out of my single-six. 22 sized holes donít leave a huge amount of room for error.

( shrug )

Shooting a single action kinda fast is fun too.

Basically, choosing a single action revolver means that you are choosing a handgun that requires a lot of manual actions. If this isnít fun for you and you arenít interested in developing the skills required, better to choose an automatic.

Anyways...

ó Michael
Old 04-24-2019, 2:57 PM

I guess I donít get Rugers marketing strategy. Theyíre apt to undercut and cannibalize the single six and bearcat line. I already have a bearcat so itís not for me.

I do find it funny that there are guys on the thread that donít own a revolver or know the difference between a single and double action revolver. Times have sure changed.
Old 04-24-2019, 3:07 PM

I purchased my 1967 single six convertible 22lr 22wmr used for $275 with dros $300 OTD here on cal-guns.
Old 04-24-2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHNFRANK View Post
I guess I donít get Rugers marketing strategy. Theyíre apt to undercut and cannibalize the single six and bearcat line. I already have a bearcat so itís not for me.

I do find it funny that there are guys on the thread that donít own a revolver or know the difference between a single and double action revolver. Times have sure changed.
I loved my Bearcat like no other gun ever probably, but once I went K22 I was hooked. I don't really care if a plinker has an authentic action, I just want it to be fun and easy and look cool.
Old 04-24-2019, 5:47 PM

Can someone explain to me why 22 single action revolvers cost so much less than double action? What is so different in the manufacturing process that has them going for 3x as much?
Old 04-24-2019, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Interesting that it weighs the same (30 oz.) as my SP-101 8-shot .22 in all stainless. I wonder where the weight is?

Dan
BARREL
Old 04-24-2019, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goop View Post
Can someone explain to me why 22 single action revolvers cost so much less than double action? What is so different in the manufacturing process that has them going for 3x as much?
They don't. At least not in Ruger's pricing scale. Vaqueros are in the same price range as GP-100s.
Old 04-27-2019, 6:45 AM

Turner's does have the Rough Rider on sale at $129.98 this week. That is approximately 38.47% more for the Ruger Wrangler at $179.98 price.

Here is a overview of someone actually having both the RR and RW:

So far the few reviews out, looks good to go at the price. I think I am in as well, it will be a cool change of pace from my 617. I am not a revolver persons, so it sure beats getting a Single-6/10 for $500+.