Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-13-2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
I was at Walmart also. The counter has a chart of what ID's work and what is required for all types of ID's. 1st off if you have a new ID that has a yellow bear with star cutout., then you're gtg so long as your address is correct. If not bring proof of residence. 2nd if you have anything else other than above (incl. Fed Limits Apply), bring proof of citizenship. My ID was issued 2017 so no yellow bear with star and I moved last year; therefore I'm restricted until I update my ID.
I have purchased ammo under the new system at two different places. My DL does not have the bear/star, nor does it say "Federal Limits Apply". At both stores it was accepted, and I was approved.

My understanding of the law is that either a real ID (with bear/star) or an earlier issued license that does not state "Federal Limits Apply" is acceptable. If true, how can Walmart deny my ID that is acceptable under the law?

I guess I'll find out when I go there to attempt to make an ammo purchase.
--P
Old 07-13-2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post
I have purchased ammo under the new system at two different places. My DL does not have the bear/star, nor does it say "Federal Limits Apply". At both stores it was accepted, and I was approved.

My understanding of the law is that either a real ID (with bear/star) or an earlier issued license that does not state "Federal Limits Apply" is acceptable. If true, how can Walmart deny my ID that is acceptable under the law?

I guess I'll find out when I go there to attempt to make an ammo purchase.
--P
I sure hope you are right. But thats what the chart says as posted at the Walmart ammo counter.

Last edited by vintagedude88; 07-13-2019 at 9:33 PM..
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston-CLB View Post

I did not say IDs like yours would be denied. I did say that IDs like yours require proof of citizenship according to the chart at Walmart. If you're prepared to provide that documentation along with your ID, then you're gtg. I don't have a current U.S. passport because mine expired 14yrs ago and haven't had the need to renew since. Do I need to renew my citizenship every 10yrs?
Old 07-14-2019, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

I needed some 44 mag today. I went under the bench in the garage and pulled out a bag of prepped brass and in 20 minuets, I had a box(since I had the brass, costs about5 bucks.) Same amount of time it takes to get to wallmart & back...what’s all this I hear a new ammo law?
Old 07-14-2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I did not say IDs like yours would be denied. I did say that IDs like yours require proof of citizenship according to the chart at Walmart. If you're prepared to provide that documentation along with your ID, then you're gtg.
10-4 regarding your statement. To me, Walmart requiring additional proof of citizenship is a denial of ID that is acceptable under the law. It's an interpretation issue, I guess.

My vehicle registration has my residence address on it, and I suppose I could dig into my files and find the copy of birth cert. I do not have a passport.

Thanks for bringing Walmart's 'policy' up for us. Better to be prepared, than surprised.

This whole deal is just one more cut into our rights, and it makes me angry. </rant-off>
-P
Old 07-14-2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Strange, they told me I was their first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had girl friend once tell me that too. Funny, she had a kid so I didnít really believe her.
Old 07-14-2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
. Do I need to renew my citizenship every 10yrs?
You do if your not illegal.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to try my local Wal-mart tomorrow with my regular CDL that I used at Big 5. Maybe it will be a teachable moment.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:09 PM

WALMART told me no ammo sales without a REAL ID and it must have the bear symbol, he said his store policy

the ammo case looked fully stocked like nobody was buying, prices still the same.

he said people have been going next door to Bass Pro to buy ammo.
Old 07-14-2019, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
WALMART told me no ammo sales without a REAL ID and it must have the bear symbol, he said his store policy

the ammo case looked fully stocked like nobody was buying, prices still the same.

he said people have been going next door to Bass Pro to buy ammo.
So my question is . Is their store policy violating my 2A rights the same way Big 5's eleven day wait was ?

Last edited by Bill Carson; 07-14-2019 at 9:25 PM..
Old 07-14-2019, 9:53 PM

the guy at BASS PRO said my old driver license was OK to buy ammo (no FLA marking) still has a couple years until exp
Old 07-18-2019, 3:20 PM
Veteran Member

Wal-mart in Palm Springs is still not selling ammo. Sales guy same that according to the law they must have 10 employees with a C.O.E. and they only have 9. He also said that my old CDL was good to go regarding buying ammo. I take everything walmart employee says with a grain of salt. I had him take down the not selling ammo sign from 7/1 to 7/7 sign down and told him they needed a new sign. This is why I bought a bunch of ammo before the law went in to affect.
Old 07-18-2019, 5:10 PM

Went to Walmart in Ventura yesterday. Since I have an old California Driver License that's valid 'til 2022, I brought my passport card with me, just in case. And what do you know . . . I needed it.

Bought a 500-round Winchester White Box in 9mm. Slightly under $100 with $1 background check fee and sales tax, so about 19 cents per round.
Old 07-20-2019, 3:51 PM

I went to Turners yesterday and they told me that my ID is okay as long as it isn't FLA. Also since I was able to complete DROS at my current address I would pass the BG check. I guess Walmart chose to be cautious with the tighter restrictions because they see a wider variety of people and they don't trust their clerks to be able to determine what's acceptable and what's not when things are in the "grey" area. For now I'll have to cope with Turner's ammo prices until I get my ID fixed.
Old 07-20-2019, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Corona walmart is not selling ammo today, there is a sign stating the system is not working.
Old 07-22-2019, 6:16 PM

Needed a couple things from the store, not Necessarily Walmart, but decided today was the day to see if I get approved on a box of ammo.

If there are any problems -I just wanted to know.

Went to the Simi Valley Walmart.

Nice blonde lady that I have bought ammo from many times prior to July 1 was behind the counter ringing up some non-ammo for somebody.

She said she is still waiting on her COE -so she called the one and only person in the story that can currently sell ammo at the Simi Valley Walmart, her manager.

Brought my Federal Limits apply CA CDL and current passport.

Had already checked my last two dros from a few months ago and they matched my drivers license perfectly.

Felt kind of like what I would imagine buying a firearm in a free state would feel like. That is -like an instant background check.

Completely lame, and a giant waste of time and paper for absolutely nothing.

From the time we started to the time I left with my single box of ammo was probably about 7-10 minutes.

Didnít even know what I was going to buy when I started. I chose one of those 200 round white boxes of Winchester 5.56.

Manager started off a little matter fact, and then kind of loosened up a bit.
She then let me know a few minutes prior to my arrival that the last buyer had been denied.

He was a cop, she said.

She said he was not pleased.

Apparently he did not show her his badge till after he was denied.

He left with no ammo, and the bottle of hoppes he was going to buy was still sitting on the counter next to me too.

So I assume he went through the same process as I did, but mustíve had a bad match from a dros or no recent dros or something.

Doesnít LEO have an exemption or at least a different process for the background check?
Old 07-22-2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx20mm View Post
Buying ammo for a caliber you don't own will be considered a straw purchase
Nope, just buying ammo for items I plan on buying or that are in gun jail. That's not a straw purchase. You can purchase whatever kind if ammo you want as long as you have a registered firearm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 7:41 PM

Same story at Walmart as others.... Walmart policy (not ca requirement) is that you have to have either a CA Real ID DL,

OR

a PRE Real ID AND a second proof, such as passport.

Plus all the hub bub about matching addresses.

My understanding is that the regulation is that your CA DL MUST NOT have Fed Limits Apply listed and your address must match.

Went to purchase at Walmart tonight and was denied because my valid Ca DL is a PRE Real ID issued two year ago, does not have the gold bear and i did not have my passport with me.

I suppose the bear is golden because Ca legislators just peed on him? And yes, I did assume the gender of that bear.... got a problem with that?

Last edited by MrFeetZ; 07-22-2019 at 7:44 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 8:10 PM

You were denied to even take the background check by Walmart?

Or you tried the background check and were denied?

FLA DL With passport, is good to go and worked fine for me as mentioned.

Pre real ID should work fine too. And has worked fine if you check the other threads. You do not need a passport for that.
Old 07-22-2019, 8:14 PM
Veteran Member

Is Wal-mart violating our 2A rights , the way Big 5 was when they had an 11 day wait policy ?
Old 07-22-2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
You were denied to even take the background check by Walmart?

Or you tried the background check and were denied?

FLA DL With passport, is good to go and worked fine for me as mentioned.

Pre real ID should work fine too. And has worked fine if you check the other threads. You do not need a passport for that.
I didnt even get that far.

When I spoke with the clerk about getting some ammo behind the locked cabinet, he asked if my DL either had the gold bear or if it said FLA. I said neither. Clerk responded saying I needed a second form of ID, (e.g: Passport) in order for me to purchase. I told him that he was incorrect.

I took exception and a Mgr was called.

Mgr came and repeated what clerk said.

I informed them if mine said FLA, i would need a second ID
I informed that if it was REAL ID (gold bear) or a valid Pre RID, it was good to go.

They again said no.

I figured this wasn't going to go anywhere so I told them I believed they are interpreting the regs incorrectly and went on my way.

I dont blame the clerk, the mgr or Walmart.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFolsom View Post
You can't possess a drivers license and a an ID card. One or the other.
WRONG! You canít possess a driverís license from two states but you can certainly have a DL and an ID card.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 07-22-2019, 10:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD LAUNCHER View Post
So since I didnít plan on going to the DMV, of course I didnít have any extra paperwork for them so now I have a federal limits apply ID.

So until I get to DMV, Iíve been carrying my passport around with me, because you never know when you want to buy ammo!

This freaking state.
Make an appointment with the DMV and apply for the Real ID, if it is close (e.g. within a year) of your last drivers license renew, it will be free. I know this because this is exactly what my wife did, she went to the DMV without preparing to get a Real ID and ended up with a Federal Limits Apply license. She came with me to the DMV when I applied for the Real ID and they fixed it for her for free.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
Went to Walmart in Ventura yesterday. Since I have an old California Driver License that's valid 'til 2022, I brought my passport card with me, just in case. And what do you know . . . I needed it.

Bought a 500-round Winchester White Box in 9mm. Slightly under $100 with $1 background check fee and sales tax, so about 19 cents per round.
Smart man.

For those of you who do not have it, I highly recommend getting a US Passport Card. it it a credit card sized passport for non-flight border crossings and is heck a lot easier than carrying the full sized passport.

For those who travel a lot, I recommend keeping it separately from your regular ID (e.g. drivers license) so you have it as a backup in case your primary ID is lost. I have one colleague who left his wallet on the plane while on a business trip (pro tip, if you're using your credit card to pay for stuff on the plane, DO NOT put your wallet in the behind seat holder, you will forget it) and was nearly stranded in some mid west fly over country. Lucky for him the airline found his wallet.
Old 07-23-2019, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInFolsom View Post
You can't possess a drivers license and a an ID card. One or the other.
I have both, there was no issue with DMV..
Old 07-23-2019, 5:00 PM

Default Wallyworld Duarte

I was the guinea pig at Walmart in Duarte today. All in all, it took 30 minutes for the store personnel to figure the BS out. They had what looked like slides from a Power Point, along with enumerated steps they had to follow. There was some confusion - it being the first time that they - or the store - did a transaction via the new system, but together (2 staff involved), we all got through it and I walked out with my ammo.

I had an older CDL without bear or without federal limits apply statement, so I needed my US Passport. By the way, your ID gets copied and kept in a file folder, along with the DROS paperwork. A sticker with the date of the week is affixed to the tab of the Manila folder (for batching purposes I guess). I was told they are getting a BIG filing cabinet for this.
Old 07-23-2019, 9:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maint.man View Post
I have both, there was no issue with DMV..
This +100
Old 07-24-2019, 9:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

No Wally World ammo around here. I go there to buy underwear, I have 4 sets now just like Bernie Sanders.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:56 PM

sigh... returned to Walmart this evening. While it was a different Walmart than the one i went to the other night, it was a bigger one that I was hoping had the specific 9mm ammo i wanted. Lucky me they did! SO, armed with my DL and my passport just in case, and with the clerks help, I selected the ammo I wanted out of the case.

The clerk helping me told me she was going going to have to call for assistance because she wasn't "certified" to sell ammo. I waited for about 10 mins before being informed that no one in the store was certified to sell ammo and that I would have to return tomorrow.

Im really not upset w/ Walmart or their personnel. I get that the new regs are confusing and they will likely need a bit of time to get up to speed but this situation is so far F'd up.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

This is why a lot of us stocked up early, so this effing learning curve can be figured out. I commend WalMart for not giving up ammo in California.

I bought enough hunting ammo for the next 3-4 years.
Old 07-26-2019, 5:12 PM

I can appreciate your thoughts, and I stocked up too. Not just because of the recent legislation that went into place earlier this month but last year when internet ammo sales were outlawed. However, and with respect, this "I got mine and you should have too" viewpoint doesn't help anyone.

Pricing (Cost) is the big problem for me. Walmart has pretty darn good pricing on a few items/calibers, it rivals the per case pricing i was getting online, even taking tax and shipping into consideration. Meanwhile, other LGS's I think have smoked too much of that legal Ca MJ with the pricing they have on some ammo.

So ya, while I have a bit stocked up, it doesn't mean that I dont wont buy any more as a shoot along.

Interestingly, I returned to Walmart this morning to make purchase. Clerk didn't hesitate a moment to run the background after seeing my valid CA License, which is pre "Real ID". Didn't ask for second form of ID. Check ran and was approved in a minute or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
This is why a lot of us stocked up early, so this effing learning curve can be figured out. I commend WalMart for not giving up ammo in California.

Old 07-27-2019, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green grunt View Post
Wal-Mart in Lodi , not selling ammo at all , case is full...sign reads: no sale from July 1st till.... to be determined...

what's up with that....
FYI, two weeks later the ammo case at Lodi Wal-Mart still says "to be determined"....nobody around to ask what's going on.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2019, 9:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post

You got it, my Man! Wally probably should have ceased ammo sales in this state, purely as a business decision. As another member pointed out above, Wally rivals internet pricing and there's no contest when compared to Turners, Bass, etc. More than one Wally manager has told me over the years that they make pennies per unit on ammo sales.
Old 07-27-2019, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFeetZ View Post
I can appreciate your thoughts, and I stocked up too. Not just because of the recent legislation that went into place earlier this month but last year when internet ammo sales were outlawed. However, and with respect, this "I got mine and you should have too" viewpoint doesn't help anyone.

Pricing (Cost) is the big problem for me. Walmart has pretty darn good pricing on a few items/calibers, it rivals the per case pricing i was getting online, even taking tax and shipping into consideration. Meanwhile, other LGS's I think have smoked too much of that legal Ca MJ with the pricing they have on some ammo.

So ya, while I have a bit stocked up, it doesn't mean that I dont wont buy any more as a shoot along.

Interestingly, I returned to Walmart this morning to make purchase. Clerk didn't hesitate a moment to run the background after seeing my valid CA License, which is pre "Real ID". Didn't ask for second form of ID. Check ran and was approved in a minute or two.
Regarding the part I highlighted in bold up top; I don't think it was meant that way. But, you are definitely right!....at this point. But this topic was beat to death on this forum for the six months leading up to 07/01. That's when it helped people. At this point, it is what it is.

I do have to say this though; this is exactly what people were trying to avoid by stocking up. I really do think all the hassle you've described (driving to various Wallys, the waiting, employee confusion, etc.) is adding to the price you are actually paying for your ammo. I say this assuming you drove there (gas $), and your time is worth something.

I never thought I'd see the day when I need a passport to shop at a Wally located in the US of A.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Reminds me of the Walmart .22lr availability threads from awhile back.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still919 View Post
You got it, my Man! Wally probably should have ceased ammo sales in this state, purely as a business decision. As another member pointed out above, Wally rivals internet pricing and there's no contest when compared to Turners, Bass, etc. More than one Wally manager has told me over the years that they make pennies per unit on ammo sales.
They've made plenty if pennies from my stocking purchases that's for sure.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakso View Post
They've made plenty if pennies from my stocking purchases that's for sure.
You got that right! Same here. I know a good deal when I see it.

Too bad about the PX4. I missed it too. Early bird....Maybe next time.
Old 07-27-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by still919 View Post
Regarding the part I highlighted in bold up top; I don't think it was meant that way.
Thank you for bringing this up. I didnt think so either and did not intend to flame.
Old 07-27-2019, 6:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFeetZ View Post

My main point to my original post is, I knew there is going to be a learning curve for WalMart and other retailers to get up to speed with all of this BS. That is why I stocked up so I didn't have to be in line on July 1st or soon thereafter and have to be subjected to all of the problems.

It had nothing to do with " I got mine and you should have too". I was just preventing myself from the exact issue you posted here. Eventually, I'll be back at WalMart to purchase ammo, just not this soon.
Old 08-01-2019, 12:49 AM

I would get really good at reloading. If your good at it you can do about 4 to 5 hundred rounds an hour. Wonder how long until you have to get a background to buy reloading supplies.