Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM

Default AR Build/Assembly

I recently sold all of my pre-assembled AR's. I currently have two Aero M4E1 lowers (one blk and the other fde). I want to get at least one of them operable ASAP. I have not done a from-scratch build yet, so I am thinking a complete upper and lower? Then build out the second one?

This first one would cater to home defense. Quality and availability takes priority over cost.

Any help appreciated.

Concerning the Second Amendment: “If a lower court treated another Right so cavalierly, I have little doubt that this Court [the Supreme Court] would intervene. But as evidenced by our continued inaction in this area, the Second Amendment is a disfavored Right in this Court.” – U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 09-11-2020, 10:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If your concern is getting one up to speed as fast as possible, and you already have a lower receiver, I would say order an upper how that suits your needs and build out the lower. The lower is the easier to build out. Installing the fire control parts- hammer, sear, and trigger- are the hardest, but lots of videos on youtube will show you how. The main issue is just getting the springs and arms going in the right direction. The rest will go together quite quickly. In this way, by the time your upper arrives, the lower is ready to go and the two parts should go together right away. Just watch out for the muzzle device on the upper and you have the other California compliance devices ready to go.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:58 AM

I'd order a complete upper with a 16" barrel from a reputable company that's in stock.

Reputable companies include (in no particular order):
KAC
LMT
BCM
Colt
LaRue
FN
Daniel Defense
Seekins Precision
Aero Precision
CMMG
Odin Works

There are many more than what I listed, but these would all serve you well. As a general rule, I wouldn't spend less than $500 on a complete upper, but as you get closer to $1,000+, you'll see diminishing returns.

You can buy a parts kit to finish the lower receiver you already have, and then pick the stock & grip option that keeps you legal (I prefer featureless, but that's another topic).

If it's for home defense, get a quality Red Dot (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon, etc), a weapon mounted light, and a sling and start training.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM

I am thinking an Aero complete upper (maybe Atlas?)... if I can get one. I would like to keep one of these as short in length as possible with maybe a 14.5 inch barrel plus hider/comp.

I am in AZ often with family so I would like to keep one as "normal" as possible. I may even get a Kali-Key and extra BCG to make this easy.

I have 2 Mission First Tactical stocks.

I am also open to finishing both at the same time.

Concerning the Second Amendment: “If a lower court treated another Right so cavalierly, I have little doubt that this Court [the Supreme Court] would intervene. But as evidenced by our continued inaction in this area, the Second Amendment is a disfavored Right in this Court.” – U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
Old 09-11-2020, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog68 View Post
If your concern is getting one up to speed as fast as possible, and you already have a lower receiver, I would say order an upper how that suits your needs and build out the lower. The lower is the easier to build out. Installing the fire control parts- hammer, sear, and trigger- are the hardest, but lots of videos on youtube will show you how. The main issue is just getting the springs and arms going in the right direction. The rest will go together quite quickly. In this way, by the time your upper arrives, the lower is ready to go and the two parts should go together right away. Just watch out for the muzzle device on the upper and you have the other California compliance devices ready to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheBrave View Post
I'd order a complete upper with a 16" barrel from a reputable company that's in stock.

Reputable companies include (in no particular order):
KAC
LMT
BCM
Colt
LaRue
FN
Daniel Defense
Seekins Precision
Aero Precision
CMMG
Odin Works

There are many more than what I listed, but these would all serve you well. As a general rule, I wouldn't spend less than $500 on a complete upper, but as you get closer to $1,000+, you'll see diminishing returns.

You can buy a parts kit to finish the lower receiver you already have, and then pick the stock & grip option that keeps you legal (I prefer featureless, but that's another topic).

If it's for home defense, get a quality Red Dot (Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon, etc), a weapon mounted light, and a sling and start training.

I agree with these 2 posts.

Heck, I'll go out on a limb & say you'd be hard pressed to find a BAD AR manufacturer these days....seems like most vendors that have made any sort of a name for themselves put out a quality product. Am I wrong?

Either way, the list above posted by Drew mirrors what I'd suggest.

As for the lower; I again agree with big dog; the lower is the easy part, but if you REALLY want to make it easy on yourself, get a drop-in trigger. It can't be any easier to do a trigger than a drop-in!

Be sure to get a nice Ambi safety. I prefer the Radian short throw.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
I am thinking an Aero complete upper (maybe Atlas?)... if I can get one. I would like to keep one of these as short in length as possible with maybe a 14.5 inch barrel plus hider/comp.

I am in AZ often with family so I would like to keep one as "normal" as possible. I may even get a Kali-Key and extra BCG to make this easy.

I have 2 Mission First Tactical stocks.

I am also open to finishing both at the same time.
Hi I think you should read super carefully the laws around SBR just to make super sure. I wouldn’t install the barrel into the upper before the muzzle device had been pinned and welded if you don’t have a pistol, sbr or machine gun lower around

My $0.02 would be to take 1 lower, register it in AZ as SBR and get a suppressor and keep all the features and use that when you are in AZ. do neat stuff like run 300blk subsonic with suppressor out of a 9 or 10 inch barrel

And then build a featureless and keep that in Ca

Last edited by naz; 09-11-2020 at 4:30 PM..
Old 09-18-2020, 1:51 PM

If you use a short muzzle brake like the VG6 Gamma or similar, the difference between the 14.5 and 16 is going to be less than an inch. That's pretty minimal for the hassle of getting it pinned. I do have a 14.5 pinned on one of my ARs. When they are in stock - Faxon sells a pre-pinned barrel with a slim muzzle brake that lets you put on/off the gas block over it.
Old 09-18-2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
If you use a short muzzle brake like the VG6 Gamma or similar, the difference between the 14.5 and 16 is going to be less than an inch. That's pretty minimal for the hassle of getting it pinned. I do have a 14.5 pinned on one of my ARs. When they are in stock - Faxon sells a pre-pinned barrel with a slim muzzle brake that lets you put on/off the gas block over it.
Not sure if it’s the exact same product but Faxon also has 16” barrels with the brake integrated so machined in instead of pin and weld.

I got mine the other day from Rainier arms.

One potentially limitation is they don’t offer that in government or bull profile. The main advantage is weight savings
Old 09-18-2020, 3:06 PM
Get Off My Lawn!
CGN Contributor

OP, finding parts is half the battle. Buying one complete upper isn’t a bad idea.

Aero Precision forged uppers just came back into stock yesterday, not sure when the M4E1 uppers we be back in stock.

Under normal times, I could buy everything I needed for an AR build from a single website. With the current panic and new owners, so many places are out of stock, so you will need to get what you can from where you can.
WTS:
Garage Sale - Lots of Pic's
Old 09-18-2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder_Keg View Post
OP, finding parts is half the battle. Buying one complete upper isn’t a bad idea.

Aero Precision forged uppers just came back into stock yesterday, not sure when the M4E1 uppers we be back in stock.

Under normal times, I could buy everything I needed for an AR build from a single website. With the current panic and new owners, so many places are out of stock, so you will need to get what you can from where you can.
If OP wants to go for a bling bling build those parts are available (eg v seven lower titanium parts, titanium bcg, carbon fiber stocks and hand guards, etc)

Also regarding aero upper, sorry if this is obvious to everyone but I would personally recommend against m4e1 enhanced uppers if OP has an interest in further modding (such as to reduce the weight of the handguard down the line. The more rigid mounting of the hand guard is a great idea but the BAR style nut it uses severely limits hand guard choices.

M4e1 threaded upper uses the “standard” mounting and opens up a lot more handguard options.
Old 09-18-2020, 9:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am more or less in the same boat. And since you already have Aero M4E1 lower, it makes perfect sense to get an Aero complete upper to complete the set. Just yesterday after a lot of stalking I managed to score a complete Aero upper with a fluted barrel and ATLAS S-ONE hand-guard. I know their site may look quite depressing with almost everything out of stock but if you spend the time, uppers do come in stock once in a while - usually in the beginning of the week. The people at Aero Precision work 24/7 and investing in new equipment, so things will get better.

And don't forget to take advantage of the 10% coupon. When you visit aeroprecisionusa.com a pop-up will show up and you have to insert your email address to get the coupon. Just make sure you are not logged in if you already have an account there and don't insert an email they already have in the system.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:01 PM

Agree with Powder Keg, finding parts is half of the battle!!
Old 09-19-2020, 12:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelPastor View Post
I currently have two Aero M4E1 lowers (one blk and the other fde).
I want to get at least one of them operable ASAP.
Any help appreciated.
Once you have all your parts, I can do all the assembly/safety checks including any machining like detent and cross pinning gas blocks as well as perm attaching a muzzle device and making any parts fit that don't seem to fit correctly while you wait on a scheduled appointment.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.