Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 07-21-2019, 8:46 AM

Default "Back to IDPA after 5-months' hiatus" match

The prior weekend I got back to IDPA, well, about 5-months' hiatus from action shooting matches (excluding a 6-stage USPSA Classifier last April).

Looking at the footage, definitely slow. Accuracy still there; but slow. I guess it can't be helped as IDPA is significantly penalizes you for hits outside the "0-down" zone.

I finished 17th out of 77 overall, 6th out of 29 in SSP, and 5th out of 9 for all EX. Last among three EX in SSP.

Going into retrospective,
  • I would think I can do better in my rankings. Maybe get within the Top 10 (my best finish was 13th overall about a year back). I just need to be consistent across ALL stages - I got 2nd in the "warmup" stage; and 5th in stage #3. The warmup stage was 3-shots WHO from low ready, move to P2 performing a slide lock reload, then take 3-shots SHO.
  • Definitely lacking stage planning, ie., pre-beep visualization, etc. Some of the significant gains can be made with transitions and it is quite apparent that I hesitate a lot in the majority of transitions (albeit, I had a few good ones). This is inclusive of "riding the gun" instead of having my "eyes lead the gun." I would guess that I can somehow improve on this if I did a few visualization of how I would attack the stage. Back to the drawing board...
  • If I took the time to plan visualize my attack, I maybe could have shaved a second or two in one stage because I took "3-shots" per target when only "best 2 was needed." (Yeah, the "warmup" stage required 3-shots).
  • Need to take care of my eyes. There were a few cases where I hesitated because I couldn't get a good sight picture. I took significant time for my eyes "switch" focus, to adjust. I really don't want to go to Carry Optics... What are good supplements for eyes? (Yeah, I have a desk job that is mostly in front of the computer)
  • Lesson learned NOT to underestimate closer targets! I got one (1) Mike and few "1-down" because of that!

Anyways, it was a good match. Squadded up with fellow CalGunners Hank15 and OCEquestrian. Oh yes, OC... was about to give me a "penalty" for "sniveling" when I got a No Shoot. Sorry... Must be the heat...

Cheers,

_