Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM

Default Outside magazine: carrying a gun stupid if not hunting

Quote:
The only fact that truly matters is irrefutable: the more firearms present in a situation, the greater chance you have of being injured or killed. Period.

Please, for the sake of the rest of us—the good guys on the trail—don’t carry a gun. It makes it awfully hard to tell who the good guys are.
https://www.outsideonline.com/239735...hike-with-guns
Originally Posted by stix213
I'll worry about Hannibal Lecter having too many rights when the rest of us get ours in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
Any American who isn't on a government watch list should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:08 AM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

I simply don't understand the mindset. The article talks about a horrible murder on the trail that quite possibly could have been stopped by having a firearm but the author attempts to establish his "gun creds" and then wonders off into a nonsensical diatribe about how you don't need to hike with guns. It simply doesn't make sense. Now he does cite SOME rationale if you want to save weight or are unwilling or unable to keep your weapon safe, sure, but otherwise, his comments make no sense.

Fortunately (for him) he chooses not to mention "statistics" showing the ineffectiveness of firearms are a personal defense option while in the wild. WOW.

Even before I got my CCW for daily carry, I always carried (where legal) when hiking. When asked out on the trail "why do you have a gun" I always answered "why do you NOT...have one". I then ask them to estimate the response time to the spot the person was standing on when I asked them the question. Invariably, the answer was, "I don't know maybe a half hour or so". Yeah, good luck with that.

Last edited by CAL.BAR; 06-12-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-12-2019, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

He is entitled to his belief, no matter how wrong it is.

What a maroon.
Old 06-12-2019, 2:42 PM

Why carry if not hunting ? Duhhhhhh, isn't there a Constitutional Right ( 2nd A ) or something like that involved in this issue ?

Psalm 1
Old 06-12-2019, 10:36 PM

“Why am I carrying firearm? Because it’s too difficult to carry a cop.”
Old 06-13-2019, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That was a painful article...trying to pass opinion off as facts.

Wish I didnt bother to read it.

Have carried and will continue to carry; the pros outweigh the cons.

Last weekend Merrit lake in Washington was beautiful, continued onto Lost Lake. Also did Colchuck and some of the Enchanment Lakes.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54644.jpg (20.8 KB, 361 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 6:44 AM

His virtue signaling about not needing a gun in brown bear country would be different if he was guiding in Alaska, and many of his fellow Montana guides would disagree with him as well. He makes a lot of assumptions based on his personal outlook. Fear for example. I don't carry a gun because I'm afraid, I carry it because I'm responsible for my safety and my family's. We can apply some of his logic to climbing, as in, climbing with protection is dumb, because you have to carry all that gear, it changes your social interactions, it keeps you from the full experience of climbing, because climbers who use protection are driven by fear, blah, blah.

Hell, he's a hunter, how did he miss the irony that those opposed to hunting use similarly naive assumptions to discredit hunters.

This guy wants to see his name in print more than he wants to know or communicate the truth of something. The bar for getting published is much lower than it used to be. Outside used to feature some great writing, it's really fallen off in the last 10 years.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
• Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrels for DTA SRS, various calibers (new)
Old 06-14-2019, 7:25 AM
Banned

Never ask your average hikers about carrying on the trail. When I posted on a John Muir trail page I had 400 **** you comments ranging from I’m a murderous psychopath to a pants ****ting coward.
Old 06-14-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness medic View Post
Never ask your average hikers about carrying on the trail. When I posted on a John Muir trail page I had 400 **** you comments ranging from I’m a murderous psychopath to a pants ****ting coward.
Yeah my wife recently hiked that trail, there’s a lot of self righteous hippies on it... feel free to pm me if you need any extra tips, my wife did the Yosemite to Mammoth Lake portion awhile back.
Old 06-14-2019, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
He is entitled to his belief, no matter how wrong it is.

What a maroon.

Spot on
Old 06-14-2019, 8:18 AM

Way too much Hogwash to read the whole article. He is talking out of both sides of his mouth in a strange mixture of nonsense and foolishness wrapped up in experiences implying wisdom.
Old 06-14-2019, 8:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardsubtil View Post
Yeah my wife recently hiked that trail, there’s a lot of self righteous hippies on it... feel free to pm me if you need any extra tips, my wife did the Yosemite to Mammoth Lake portion awhile back.
Thanks but I already did the whole 220 mile trail.
Old 06-14-2019, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

No mention of use against mountain lions.

No mention of use against dangerous snakes (load snake shot in first 2 chambers of a revolver).

No mention of using as a distress signal device (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal). A 50 round box of .22 mag. is small and loud from an under 6" revolver and should last days (three shots at 6am, 9am, noon, 3pm, etc).

All in all, that article is ...

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 06-14-2019 at 9:13 PM..
Old 06-14-2019, 7:06 PM

Default Lions!

Here’s why I carry even when I’m not hunting just out scouting or hiking: my cabin and all the land around me are loaded with mountain lions and I do mean loaded. I have a CCW so typically it isn’t showing but I also never run into many other hikers either. The photo I attached is 30 feet from my front door in the driveway I was sitting on the back porch and got a video too. This isn’t uncommon at all.. If you are hiking in CA and you can see deer, there is a mountain lion nearby

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21441C18-5FB9-4602-9CAC-09CC2E3E7EEB.jpg (20.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Pretty sure that's a typo. Should read "stupid people shouldn't carry guns".
Old 06-15-2019, 6:43 AM

Lots of hippie hiker types on the trail. They read Outside magazine. What do you expect?
Old 06-15-2019, 1:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
No mention of use against mountain lions.

No mention of use against dangerous snakes (load snake shot in first 2 chambers of a revolver).

No mention of using as a distress signal device (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distress_signal). A 50 round box of .22 mag. is small and loud from an under 6" revolver and should last days (three shots at 6am, 9am, noon, 3pm, etc).

All in all, that article is ...
Dangerous snakes... You're not going to convince most knowledgeable hikers with that. I throw sticks or rocks at them until they get off the trail. There is no reason to shoot them.
Old 06-18-2019, 6:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This month edition has an article on a guy that self innoculates himself with snake venom, his goal to create the antibodies for a universal snake anti-venom.

The magazine showed up, no one admits ordering it......it definitely has a multigender, progressive leaning.
Old 07-20-2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post
That was a painful article...trying to pass opinion off as facts.

Wish I didnt bother to read it.[/IMG]
That's why I won't.

I simply have run out of patience with doltish, weak-minded people and their brainless opinions.

Next.
Old 07-20-2019, 2:25 PM

Disclaimer, I did not read the article, but the beauty of the 2nd Amendment is it actually says “the people,” and as a small female, I am very grateful to the Founding Fathers that they put that because I had an abusive stepdad.

I am allowed to protect myself and my children. That even sounds silly saying (typing) that. I’m “allowed.” Ha! Ever since I turned 18 and got into guns, nothing bad has happened to me. America afforded me the opportunity to choose to not be a victim. For that I am eternally grateful.

2A says nothing about hunting.... only FREEDOM!
Old 07-20-2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdle View Post
Disclaimer, I did not read the article, but the beauty of the 2nd Amendment is it actually says “the people,” and as a small female, I am very grateful to the Founding Fathers that they put that because I had an abusive stepdad.

I am allowed to protect myself and my children. That even sounds silly saying (typing) that. I’m “allowed.” Ha! Ever since I turned 18 and got into guns, nothing bad has happened to me. America afforded me the opportunity to choose to not be a victim. For that I am eternally grateful.

2A says nothing about hunting.... only FREEDOM!
Now that's what I like to hear. I hope you have passed on this wisdom to as many of your female peers as possible.
Old 07-20-2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Now that's what I like to hear. I hope you have passed on this wisdom to as many of your female peers as possible.
Doing my best. Our oldest daughter is already a force to be reckoned with, and she’s only 5.