Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2019, 4:41 PM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default You've got $2K, need an LPVO

Unhappy with my Trijicon Accupower 1-4x, so I'm looking for other options.

What do y'all think? If you had a $2,000 to spend on an LPVO what would you go with?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2019, 4:45 PM
heyasiankid's Avatar
heyasiankid heyasiankid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 196
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default You've got $2K, need an LPVO

Never used it but a lot of people like the vortex razor 1-6. Theres also leupold lpvos. Elcan?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2019, 5:09 PM
Moemoe1's Avatar
Moemoe1 Moemoe1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,878
iTrader: 13 / 88%
Default

Vortex and Leupold are the best ones IMO. Cant go wrong with either. At your budget Id go for the leupold MK6 1-6x
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-18-2019, 5:17 PM
tony270's Avatar
tony270 tony270 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: High Desert
Posts: 2,996
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

This, get a better price on Optics Planet:

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunti...l-4-i-p5006196

Or this, (Vortex offers a Veterans discount):

https://vortexoptics.com/catalog/product/view/id/957

Mount it on a precision fordward facing cantilever mount, I have the 20 MOA Vortex model, and the Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24. I can inconsistently hit a 9" paper plate at 400 yards.

The next-generation is going to 1-8x24...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2019, 5:29 PM
ZombieLivesMatter's Avatar
ZombieLivesMatter ZombieLivesMatter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,233
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

I run a Nightforce NXS 1-4 for lpvo and like it but wouldn't hesitate to recommend a Vortex Razor, my friend had a Razor Gen2 and the glass was comparible, if not slightly brighter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
G-shock, a good way to tell the time, and better way to tell the female variety you are unworthy mating material.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2019, 7:47 PM
tonyxcom's Avatar
tonyxcom tonyxcom is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 6,032
iTrader: 43 / 100%
Default

Leupold MK6 1-6 has better glass and less fishbowl than the Razor at 1x. Razor has a better 'red dot'. MK6 has better turrets and a zero stop (only matters if you dial for elevation).

Up your budget a bit and get the ATACR 1-8 from Euro Optic (call them).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2019, 9:02 PM
scotty99 scotty99 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Newbury Park
Posts: 960
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Why are you unhappy with the Trijicon?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2019, 11:54 PM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemoe1 View Post
Vortex and Leupold are the best ones IMO. Cant go wrong with either. At your budget Id go for the leupold MK6 1-6x
Just snagged one from Europtic, floor demo model for $1,400! I'm going to spray paint it anyways and with the gold ring warranty I've got no qualms saving $800.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2019, 5:32 AM
Paperchasin's Avatar
Paperchasin Paperchasin is offline
YOU are next!!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,700
iTrader: 349 / 100%
Default

What was it about the Accupower that you weren't happy with? Is it because the reticle isn't daylight bright?

Last edited by Paperchasin; 03-19-2019 at 6:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2019, 8:41 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperchasin View Post
What was it about the Accupower that you weren't happy with? Is it because the reticle isn't daylight bright?
I copied this from my optics planet product review.

Glass is inferior to my Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x. Illumination is not daytime bright, even on a cloudy rainy day at "11." The mil-sqare reticle is so tiny it is unusable. Windage and elevation adjustments are too easy to move and too fine, it's too easy to go past where you want and I often end up clicking 2 or 3 instead of 1 when counting. It's no wonder these scopes are on the way out. Diopter adjustment is nice though compared to the locking ring screw method on my Leupold.

It's honestly just not a great scope by any definition, especially at $600. It even just feels rough, cheap, and poorly finished in my hands. I would put it on par with the VX-freedom line in terms of quality or the entry Vortex tiers.

Sure it can go down to 1x while others are 1.25 or 1.5, but it fish bowls and distorts so bad that I prefer the flat crisp image of the Mark AR at 1.5x.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-19-2019, 8:49 AM
jimmykan's Avatar
jimmykan jimmykan is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,226
iTrader: 103 / 100%
Default

I can't remember who makes it, but there is variable scope with dual focal plane reticles. The ranging cross is on the first focal plane so that it is to scale at all magnifications. Then there is a large ring on the second focal plane that stays big at all magnifications.

That's a cool feature to me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-19-2019, 8:58 AM
Ridin Dirty Ridin Dirty is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

in scopes honestly you get what you pay for. spend low price $600 and you get low price result like buying a civic and expecting porsche speed, promise you spend double that or more you happy. im happy with leupold mk6 and vortex razor on my rifles but they costs but there is reason rarely negative mentioned and people recommend.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-19-2019, 9:22 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
in scopes honestly you get what you pay for. spend low price $600 and you get low price result like buying a civic and expecting porsche speed, promise you spend double that or more you happy. im happy with leupold mk6 and vortex razor on my rifles but they costs but there is reason rarely negative mentioned and people recommend.
There's nothing wrong with a $600 or less optic as long as I'm happy with the value and feel like I'm getting more than what I paid for. That's how I feel about the Mark AR line. I use the 1.5-4x on my "service rifle," and have the 3-9x on two different bolt guns (.223 and .17hmr). A friend has the Steiner 1-4x $100 more than the Trijicon, but is a much better scope, more than $100 better. I would have initially purchased the Steiner had it been a mil-dot reticle as opposed to BDC.

Civic and Corolla are great cars for the money, you can get a Mazda 3 or Nissan Versa for about the same, but they suck compared to Toyota and Honda. It's not about comparing a Ferrari to a Civic, it's about the Accupower sucking in its field of direct competition.

At every price point there are winners and losers, at $600 the Accupower is a loser.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-19-2019, 9:33 AM
Ridin Dirty Ridin Dirty is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 12
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

i never said $600 scope is bad and i never said civic is bad, they are great foe value, very very very great value. i said expecting high performance for such low price for both is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-19-2019, 9:36 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
i never said $600 scope is bad and i never said civic is bad, they are great foe value, very very very great value. i said expecting high performance for such low price for both is unrealistic.
Fair enough, my disappoint with the Trijicon wasn't that it didn't compare to scopes twice it's price, it's that it didn't compare well with scopes less in price, with better warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-19-2019, 9:45 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Holy smokes, I just started pricing 34mm mounts...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM
tony270's Avatar
tony270 tony270 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: High Desert
Posts: 2,996
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

600 bones for AR optics is tacticool, go for it, the mount cost 1/4 to 1/3 the scope, lol
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM
crosseyedshooter crosseyedshooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 485
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

For $2k budget LPVO, I’d go Kahles K16i. Here’s my list:

<$1k - Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x
>$1k - Vortex Razor Gen II-E 1-6x
<$2k - Kahles K16i
>$2k - Nightforce ATACR 1-8x

Honorable mention goes to Nightforce NX8 for <$2k but it’s not the kind of LPVO that people generally think is “as fast as a red dot.”
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-19-2019, 11:25 AM
crosseyedshooter crosseyedshooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 485
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
I can't remember who makes it, but there is variable scope with dual focal plane reticles. The ranging cross is on the first focal plane so that it is to scale at all magnifications. Then there is a large ring on the second focal plane that stays big at all magnifications.

That's a cool feature to me.
Youre probably thinking of the Schmidt&Bender ShortDot Dual CC scopes. Those things cost like $4k+.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-19-2019, 3:30 PM
SAD338 SAD338 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 585
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

For mounts, look at Aero Precision. They make 34mm now.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-19-2019, 5:51 PM
-aK-'s Avatar
-aK- -aK- is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Livermore, Kali
Posts: 763
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

I chose the kahles k16i. Great glass and reticle. Slightly lighter than the vortex.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-20-2019, 7:15 AM
Mute's Avatar
Mute Mute is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Diamond Bar
Posts: 6,813
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Up to $2000 my top picks in no particular order:

Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x
Nightforce NX8 1-8x
Burris XTR II 1-8x
Kahles K16i 1-6x
__________________
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle & Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page


NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-20-2019, 2:09 PM
CSTactical's Avatar
CSTactical CSTactical is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,816
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
Up to $2000 my top picks in no particular order:

Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x
Nightforce NX8 1-8x
Burris XTR II 1-8x
Kahles K16i 1-6x

Great options and I have most in stock or will soon
__________________
Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Minox, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech and more...
Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
www.cstactical.com
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-20-2019, 3:31 PM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
Great options and I have most in stock or will soon
If I didn't stumble across that open box special I probably would have paid you a visit. Although you did kind of talk me out of the Kahles last year. I'll be in to pick something up hopefully within the next six months when I get going on my .308 build.

I'm surprised I was able to even swing the Mark 6 while saving for an overpriced bay area house.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-21-2019, 1:14 PM
CSTactical's Avatar
CSTactical CSTactical is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,816
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
If I didn't stumble across that open box special I probably would have paid you a visit. Although you did kind of talk me out of the Kahles last year. I'll be in to pick something up hopefully within the next six months when I get going on my .308 build.

I'm surprised I was able to even swing the Mark 6 while saving for an overpriced bay area house.



One of talked you out of a Kahles? Wow that's surprising, we're a big fan of them here. But there's a lot of high quality optics on the market right now
__________________
Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Minox, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech and more...
Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
www.cstactical.com
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
One of talked you out of a Kahles? Wow that's surprising, we're a big fan of them here. But there's a lot of high quality optics on the market right now
I can't remember the gentleman's name, but he was very helpful.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Update: The scope arrived today.

And a replacement is already on it's way. There's a big smear across the inside of the front objective. When illuminated the smear glows red across most of the fov and causes bleed out to the numbers.

Such are the risks of the open box special.

I'm just trying to figure out how one smudges the inside of a purged and sealed optic.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-25-2019, 9:20 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 7,495
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
I copied this from my optics planet product review.

Glass is inferior to my Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x. Illumination is not daytime bright, even on a cloudy rainy day at "11." The mil-sqare reticle is so tiny it is unusable. Windage and elevation adjustments are too easy to move and too fine, it's too easy to go past where you want and I often end up clicking 2 or 3 instead of 1 when counting. It's no wonder these scopes are on the way out. Diopter adjustment is nice though compared to the locking ring screw method on my Leupold.

It's honestly just not a great scope by any definition, especially at $600. It even just feels rough, cheap, and poorly finished in my hands. I would put it on par with the VX-freedom line in terms of quality or the entry Vortex tiers.

Sure it can go down to 1x while others are 1.25 or 1.5, but it fish bowls and distorts so bad that I prefer the flat crisp image of the Mark AR at 1.5x.
Wow, this is so different from the mrgunsgear review that it sounds like you two are talking about different scopes.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-26-2019, 7:26 AM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Wow, this is so different from the mrgunsgear review that it sounds like you two are talking about different scopes.
Keep in mind that Mrgunsgear is an access "journalist." Meaning he gives favorable reviews for access to various products. Ever seen any of the big youtubers give a BAD review to any product ever?

Nope.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-16-2019, 4:39 AM
gimlet421 gimlet421 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 210
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Primary Arms Platinum Series 1-8X
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-19-2019, 1:33 PM
CSTactical's Avatar
CSTactical CSTactical is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,816
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

We just mounted this up for a customer





__________________
Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Minox, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech and more...
Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
www.cstactical.com
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-19-2019, 4:23 PM
ZombieLivesMatter's Avatar
ZombieLivesMatter ZombieLivesMatter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,233
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTactical View Post
We just mounted this up for a customer :43:





Damn that is nice! Thinking about upgrading from NXS to that NX8.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgn02 View Post
G-shock, a good way to tell the time, and better way to tell the female variety you are unworthy mating material.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-19-2019, 4:25 PM
CSTactical's Avatar
CSTactical CSTactical is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,816
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
Damn that is nice! Thinking about upgrading from NXS to that NX8.

We can make that happen
__________________
Dealer for Zero Compromise Optic, Minox, Kahles, Nightforce, Vortex, Aimpoint, Desert Tech and more...
Call 916-670-1103 for Calguns pricing
www.cstactical.com
sales@cstactical.com
Click Here To Join our Facebook Fan Page

http://www.cstactical.com/images/stories/About%*0Us%*0Logo.001.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-19-2019, 8:10 PM
ChuckDizzle ChuckDizzle is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Manteca (Where the Bass Pro is)
Posts: 4,358
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I passed on the NX8 because the Loopy has a better warranty, and the complaints about the center dot size.

I prefer the illuminated segments and non-lum tiny dot at the center of the Mark 6. Occasionally I may need to shoot a squirrel or rabbit with my rifle.

Also heard some complaints that from 6-8x the NF loses a lot of light and starts to distort.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:41 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.