Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-11-2013, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Bedding a 10/22, before and after comparison

Looking for comparison targets of before and after bedding a 10/22. Thought it would be an easy topic to find but I've searched, with no luck. For now I've only done easy mods to my 10/22 replacing the barrel, trigger work. next step would be bedding and CPC bolt mods. I'm pretty happy with the way the rifle shoots now. I know YMMV, just wanted an idea of the results people have gotten so I can weigh the hassle vs. potential benefit.
Old 02-11-2013, 5:24 PM
In Memoriam

Bedding is kind of useless because the aluminum recover isn't really attached to the stock, the barrel is. The best target 10-22s I had had free floating barrels with just a pad of the soft side of velcro a the end of the barrel channel. A match barrel is all you need (along with a match trigger) for great accuracy.
Old 02-11-2013, 6:48 PM

When I put on my aftermarket stock, there was a little play with the barrel and I just wrapped it with enough electrical tape so that it doesnt move anymore. you cant even tell the tape is there either
Old 02-11-2013, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfried View Post
Looking for comparison targets of before and after bedding a 10/22. Thought it would be an easy topic to find but I've searched, with no luck. For now I've only done easy mods to my 10/22 replacing the barrel, trigger work. next step would be bedding and CPC bolt mods. I'm pretty happy with the way the rifle shoots now. I know YMMV, just wanted an idea of the results people have gotten so I can weigh the hassle vs. potential benefit.
Nothing will help less than bolt mods, it's the mod that you do after everything else is dialed in perfectly.

My experience is that bedding helps a lot and free floating a 22 is often but not always counter productive. I think it helps to understand the reasons for free floating. With any rifle you're trying to keep the stock from pushing the barrel off target which can be a problem with some synthetic stocks. Another reason is that solid wood (but not laminated) stocks can swell in very humid environments pushing on the barrel. Finally in the centerfire world contact between the very hot barrel and the cooler stock can create a small temporary warp in the barrel caused by the temperature difference between the top and bottom of the barrel. Fortunately the last one isn't a problem with 22s they don't get that hot - especially with a 920 barrel.

But there is bedding and there is bedding and what you need depends on the fit between the receiver and stock because what you are trying to do is prevent the barreled action from pivoting from side to side and up/down at the takedown screw. I have one that needed bedding around the rear tang because the fit was too loose. I have others that just needed a thin pad under barrel near the front of the stock (some stocks have one built in). Others have had great success with a bit of JB Weld as bedding compound under the first 1" of the barrel channel and a bit around the receiver - but make sure you know what you're doing first. It varies from rifle to rifle but I do like the Volquartsen pillar bedding kit as a place to start.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 02-11-2013, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-NewYawker View Post
Bedding is kind of useless because the aluminum recover isn't really attached to the stock, the barrel is.
Not true, the receiver is bolted to the stock, Not the barrel.

Personally, I bed the receiver if it needs it, and with a bull barrel I always bed the first 2-3" of the barrel, reason being is a bull barrel is a lot of weight hanging on an aluminum receiver.
Old 02-12-2013, 2:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Guess people are as bad as I am when it comes to tracking their projects . Here are results from a recent range trip 10 shots/target. Pretty nice considering I don't shoot as much as I used to. Last time I took out this rifle was early 2012. But still have the itch to fiddle with it.

Last edited by chickenfried; 03-03-2013 at 7:19 AM..