Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-31-2014, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Not sure how many LEO reload, but if you want to learn how...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=889027

I am jumping the gun a bit but I wanted to extend an invitation to the next reloading clinic to LEO that want to learn to reload.

There is limited space but I think that if you watch the thread and sign up in time you should be gtg for the 16th of February.

Normally I would not come here and throw this invitation out but lets face it. Being LEO can be high stress and it is good to manage that stress and good to have hobbies. On top of that, I am sure that every LEO has 50k or more 9mm, 40, .45 shells all hoarded away in storage right? NO? Yeah I hear you, why pay $25+ for a box of 50 .45 acp when you can make them for around $10.00 a box of 50. AND, no limits on how many you make a day, no 3 box limit no nothing... By getting into reloading and buying components smartly and in bulk, you will only save yourself a LOT of money compared to if you shot store bought ammo. Oh yeah, and there are things you can do in reloading that you can not buy in stores, like load up super hot ammo, try different powders to find which combination works best for your guns, and (my favorite) develop new experimental coatings and techniques that allow you to be a celebrity in the reloading community. (okay, maybe not celeb status, but almost somewhat as popular as the fat guy in the Boba Fett outfit at comicon...). But no seriously, If anyone has been frustrated by the lack of bullets in the stores and maybe even had your shooting times impacted by not going out as much because you are afraid that you will not be able to buy more bullets, well, then reloading is for you. For the past two years I have not bought ANY store bought ammo for myself (with the exception of 22lr), but I have been able to go shooting for hours at a time with only my 45, 44, .22lr and .223... The only storebought ammo I have leftover is my 22lr, everything else I make at my bench. I can sit down and crank out about 600+ rounds of .45 acp in a few hours on my turret. If I had a progressive then it would be closer to about 500-800 per hour.

So anyways, if there are any LEO that are on the fence or not sure or just like to be the social butterflies and meet new members, then I believe that we are setting up for the 16th of February.

Location will be in Riverside near the auto center. If any of you wish to show up, please go to the above thread and get active and sign up.

Also, if any of you ARE experienced reloaders, we might be looking for one or two more volunteers to help those that are not.

These will usually last for about 5 hours or so. No mandatory stay time but it starts around 8 am...

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

Last edited by stilly; 02-05-2014 at 9:28 AM..
Old 01-31-2014, 3:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just don't run your press with the vibratory brass cleaner running...that is not relaxing!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 01-31-2014, 5:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
Just don't run your press with the vibratory brass cleaner running...that is not relaxing!
LoL!

Any tumbler that will be running will be my rotary and it will only be filled with the sound of sloshing water so that folks can relax...

OH, I might make some glow in the dark .45 acp bullets with it too...

Old 01-31-2014, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

OH, I might make some glow in the dark .45 acp bullets with it too...
Now THAT'S pretty cool
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is this for active leo only or are we old guys allowed.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member

Stilly, thats a very thoughtful offer.

I do enjoy reloading, its a good hobby that I find relaxing. A great (And productive) way to spend the afternoon.
Old 02-01-2014, 2:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Is this for active leo only or are we old guys allowed.

This is for ANY Calguns member in here that wants to reload. We always try our best to keep all discussions on reloading and safe things but people will do what people will do. CDLs are checked at the gate since it is a Calguns event.

Just make sure to follow that thread and sign up through it else chaos will ensue and the world will implode and then we will have to learn how to live in a world that well anyways.

It will be a BYOChair event and we might have some ez-ups since it tends to get a tad sunny. I might hang some poles and camo netting to provide more shade and give it a well, a better look...

I do hope it does go through on the 16th. I told Bronco we were good for it and he suggested it so it should happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Now THAT'S pretty cool
Wait till I get a hold of some UV reactive PC...

Last edited by stilly; 02-01-2014 at 2:13 AM..
Old 02-01-2014, 11:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJoe3 View Post

I do enjoy reloading, its a good hobby that I find relaxing. A great (And productive) way to spend the afternoon.
The only thing better is sending the final product down range!
Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post

Old 02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post
+1 YES!

I also like the thought that every time I pull the handle on my 550B, ching...there is $0.50, ching...another $0.50!
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 02-05-2014, 2:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Well folks, if ANYONE wants to get on the list, here is the ACTUAL SIGNUP thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=889027

I think we are shooting for the 16th which is in about 2 weeks and it will be in Riverside. (yeah, pun intended...)

Last edited by stilly; 02-05-2014 at 9:28 AM..
Old 02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR_rider View Post
Now THAT'S pretty cool
Yeah it is...

Old 02-15-2014, 12:12 AM

I'm a retired LEO, and I was a reloader before, during and after my years on the police department....so I won't be attending your clinic.

BEFORE you current LEO's start thinking that you can use your own reloads while on-duty, you had better check your department regulations. Most agencies FORBID the use of reloaded ammo when on-duty. That is because of the liability issues involved. My old department even went so far as to have a regulation against having reloads in an OFF-duty firearm, other than during range practice sessions.

If you get good at reloading, you can replicate the power/effectiveness of factory-loaded rounds at a fraction of the cost, but they will STILL be reloads, and could get you into hot water if they're not department-authorized. Keep those reloads separate from the factory stuff, no matter how purty they might be!

Lastly, reload for YOURSELF....ONLY! Yes, you may become an "expert" at reloading, but....do you have liability insurance? Sad to say, but I don't even share my "pet" loading data with my shooting buddies because they could turn around and sue if my loading data was wrong!
Old 02-16-2014, 2:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-007 View Post
I'm a retired LEO, but I can't find the time to attend this beneficial CALGUNS clinic where I can brush up my skills or help others that are learning. Will there be others?
There ya go. I fixed it for ya.

All FUD and downtalking removed.

AND to answer your question, Why YES there will be. I am so glad that you asked. I do not know when, but you are more then welcome to ASK to come to one in the future. With the Obummer bullet scare folks are having a tough time shooting and finding quality ammunition and now they can learn how to make their own.

Okay seriously now, please do not make any assumptions and accusations here about the intelligence of anyone in this forum. This was an invitation to a fun social event. I am sorry if you had bad luck with reloads, but a lot has changed since the 70s and I would think that most officers would check or already know based on policies that reloads are typically not allowed for duty use.

I went to work yesterday and decided that since I was carrying, that I would buy a box of Critical Defense for my .45 instead of using ANY of my reloads, even though I like to joke about the rounds that I make and even though I trust and love my reloads, I would not put my life on them just yet...

I will be sure to mention in the liability portion of the clinic that if there are ANY LEOs there that they need to check if they can use reloads on duty OR IN DUTY FIREARMS so that they do not get into any trouble. Noted and written down just because this is the first time that I expect at least 1 LEO to show up...

Last edited by stilly; 02-16-2014 at 6:21 AM..
Old 02-16-2014, 6:52 AM

Your offer is sincerely appreciated and though I can't attend due to family obligations, at some point I need to look into reloading.

I wouldn't worry about the previous comment, and I agree that anyone in law enforcement needs to be aware of their own policies. It is made very clear in the academy what the restrictions are regarding ammunition and since we are all big boys and girls, it's on us.
Old 02-16-2014, 7:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
Your offer is sincerely appreciated and though I can't attend due to family obligations, at some point I need to look into reloading.

I wouldn't worry about the previous comment, and I agree that anyone in law enforcement needs to be aware of their own policies. It is made very clear in the academy what the restrictions are regarding ammunition and since we are all big boys and girls, it's on us.
Well, when I host again, I would love to have ya. That is unfortunate for your obligations, but we will do it again and I will come here and invite any LEO that wishes to attend.

I was hoping to get Ron Solo out there today. I heard he is such a nice guy in person.

Maybe next time. Everyone had a good time today. Lots of laughing and learning and everyone went home with a better understanding of how simple it is to reload when you take it slow, or have good teachers.