Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 07-07-2009, 7:08 PM

in socal independent armament in san fernando will do you right
Old 07-07-2009, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Its kind of a sad world that this even has to be posted but unfortunately the ignorance of my sex is that way. I have a few stories of first time women shooters out gunning the guy "teaching" them. You'd figure that they'd love to see a lady in there buying guns and knowing what she's doing. It is just such a male dominated sport that women tend to get neglected as dainty girls that don't know what to do. They should invite all women in just to keep it from being such a sausage fest in their shop.
Old 07-29-2009, 8:42 AM

I've always had good service at Alquist Arms in Turlock. Friendly knowledgeable bunch and they usually have the best selection of stuff in stock in the valley. They can be busy at times and it's a small place, so you just have to be patient on those days, or come back at a better time. But on the slow days nearly everyone there has taken time to chat guns and never once assumed I didn't know what I was talking about.

Not so much of a great experience with Barnwood in Ripon. They've always kind of treated me with an elitist attitude, but the same goes for their treatment of hubby. When I'm there alone there is NO service without really having to work for it, and if a man walks in the door, that service is immediately directed toward him. Using their range alone one day was a pain too. They kept asking me what I wanted to rent and I kept telling the guy I had 2 guns in my locked case. Then they kept grilling me over hearing & eye protection, targets, ammo etc. This never happened when I was there with my husband. Neither of us has been back in about a year.
Old 07-29-2009, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default WOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimfire17 View Post
I did and he assured me the problem was taken care of. So I checked back in the other day. The same misogynistic bigot is working there. So I'm going to write another letter.

Anyone who says that it's always "open season on pigs and n***ers" shouldn't be working there anymore. This isn't being "politically incorrect; it's downright inflammatory. If you knew the guy it was said to, you'd be freaking pissed off, too. CM is one of the nicest, most mellow, gentlemen I know and a damned fine range safety officer, too.

I might have been able to pass on being treated like some nitwit female, but advocating killing people because of their race is beyond the pale.
My wife and I stopped in the CVGS last month. We got to listen to the foulest language coming from the back. I thought, "oh, he'll stop after a while". No, it just went on and on. Meanwhile, at the front counter, we could not get the counter guy's attention. Finally left. Hope there is a change.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM

I think the service in gun shops in general isn't all that great.

That said, my wife and I have been looking for a gun for her for a few months now and when we get help, Bass Pro has been good. However, there is one guy at "Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff" in Fairfield that is fantastic. Their range service is bad, but the guys upstairs in the shop are helpful, friendly, and honest. They really like the XD's and push them like crazy, but when my wife said she wasn't interested in an auto, they backed off and gave their opinions (to her, not me while I was standing next to her) about the revolvers she was looking at. I highly recommend Guns, Fishing, and Other Stuff.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D53 View Post
I know I am way up here, but like I have said millions of times before and its even in my signature, but the guys at River City Gun Echange are great. When my wife went in to buy a Kimber 1911, Paul took his time to answer all her questions, there was no push to sell her a gun at the time. He must have shown here about 8-9 guns before they settled on the Kimber.

I have also been in there many of times and have watched other employees take the time to answer all questions and not hesitate to let a female hold a firearm to make sure thats what they really wanted.
+1. When I bought my enfield from them, there was a lady buying her first handgun. I overheard some of the conversation and it was female friendly.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

cityarms in Pacific
Old 08-07-2009, 8:28 PM
Banned

Annie's get your gun in Corona, is a female friendly gun store. The owners wife works the gun counter with her husband.
Old 08-18-2009, 3:14 PM

I've had lots of luck at gunnrunners duarte. I knew exactly what I wanted, though and didnt have to sit and chat too long.
Old 08-25-2009, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk81 View Post
Annie's get your gun in Corona, is a female friendly gun store. The owners wife works the gun counter with her husband.
+1...I would also recommend Bright Spot Pawn at Riverside.

Last edited by hawk1547; 08-26-2009 at 9:03 AM..
Old 08-27-2009, 8:24 AM

Bullseye in Marin is great. Circle S gun range, also in Marin, yells at everyone indiscrimanently, lol.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 AM

I've been an 'outdoorsy' girl all my life (except for those twentysomething years where I was chasing young fun). Our family owned farms in the Fresno area and grew up shooting my dad's guns (pistols/rifles)- targeting fruit and vegetables in the line-up was common summer fun.
As a thirty-something adult- I have found myself returning to my roots... Living in So Cal, my experiences are limited to the few shops that I've been to:

Best experience:
-Insight Shooting Range, Artesia- These guys are nice, informative, and always available to me from the first time I stepped foot inside. Grreat guys and space.

Good Experiences:
- Turners in Long Beach- Nice crew and i believe a lady works there too. No BS and always friendly... (there is 1 know it all that has been there in the past, but even the employees roll their eyes at him)
- Turners in OC- Only been here once and was treated with respect and good service.
- Ades in OC- Friendly and to the point folks... not as "browser" friendly (it's a small shop), but they are available and informative.
- Shooters Paradise, Oxnard- Nice folks, but incredibly expensive (ammo and pistols). Good selection of gear (Military base is nearby) and very informative! $30 for a box of PMC FMJ .380 acp is a bit much... but they DO have it in stock.
- Fowlers, OC- Nice folks, plenty of staff to help you out. In here, you have to ask for what you want. They'll say "Hi" when you walk in, but after that your on your own until you initiate a need. BUT, once initiated, they'll do loads to help you out.

I plan on getting out to other shops and ranges and will update accordingly.

RBee
Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Interesting topic...

Reminds me of when I go into Victoria's Secret. The women there just assume I know nothing of bras (of course, they would be right). But the point is that their first question might be what my experience level is with bras regardless of my gender...

Regarding gun shops, I had the opposite problem. After Katrina, my wife decided we needed to look into getting a gun for protection so I started my research. I hadn't had a gun since my early 20's and never a semi-automatic.

The guys in the gun shop assumed, possibly due to gender, that I wanted a semi, but I wasn't comfortable with them, the safeties, clearing jams, etc. I just wanted reliability and for it to go bang when I pulled the trigger regardless of my maintenance rituals or lack thereof... I had to back them off and insist on a revolver.

I look at experience being the determining factor on handgun format regardless of gender. My wife loves to shoot the XD, but can "handle" the J-frame. That is the reality at this point so that is her go to gun. I've become comfortable with both now and I'm sure she will get there. We go to the range together and practice. She has yet to demonstrate that she can rack the slide effectively (not sure if it is strength, technique, or interest level). I don't tell her what she can shoot, but observe and comment. We plan to do some training soon. If the need arose, it would be her call as to what to grab.

I notice that when I walk into a gun shop wearing crocs as opposed to tactical combat boots, that the salespeople tend to continue their corner conversations... just sayin'...

Old 09-02-2009, 8:02 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

the sign of the liberal devil: crocs!

mz
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 09-02-2009, 10:52 PM

+100 Bullseye Precision Indoor Range, San Rafael.

Took my 12 y/o daughter there for her first time shooting. Every member of the staff were gentlemen at all times, attentive, and very accommodating. There were two other women there shooting and they were treated like every male customer in the shop.... with the utmost respect.

Bought my pistol from them and plan to buy others. Their level of service has earned a customer for life. Great bunch of guys.
Old 10-15-2009, 8:52 AM

I can recommend Jones' Fort in Redding.

Am I too big of a hillbilly if I don't know what croc's are?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 AM

Mike and Patrick at OC Armory in Laguna Hills are "female friendly", and not in a weird way, either!
Old 10-26-2009, 8:34 PM

Default Turners in West Covina.

Im not a lady so I am sorry if I am intruding but I am the Store Manager at West Covina Turners and I will ensure that my store is very friendly and considerate to all sex's, pro's and novices alike. Give us a shot!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPaw View Post
Irvington hands down. I walked in there one day, full on sweet lolita. Bunny ears and all and bought a gun. Never an issue with them giving you to real 411, and the respect a paying customer expects.

Bullseye, a popular place for those who not so season. You can try out many things from the rental selection.

Castro Valley has two gun shops. First one is the Castro Valley gunshop, now has been acquired by Bullseyes. My experienced was just post acquisition. Walked in there same day as I visited Irvington. They didn't treat me seriously, and gave me FUD about OLL. The business went to Irvington that day.

Andreotti. He's not ignoring you, he's is ignoring everyone. Equal opportunity grumpy old guy. jumped on OLL band wagon quite late. Sells featureless BB set up.

J&R. Friendly place to shop, good all around. Too bad it's far from me.

Triple A. Arias is the owner. He's good guy, get to know him. Lots of evil stuff to sell, and about the only place that sells evil AK's up in the northbay.
you can add Norse Armory in Woodland to that list of female friendly shops
after all chibipaw is the general manager
Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 AM

Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma. My wife and I own it...she's definitely as outgoing as I am and the women that come in here always call us back thanking us for making them feel comfortable.

Anyone that doesn't cater to the women in this business is truly losing out...most of our best customers are females!
Old 11-04-2009, 4:56 PM

ive watched the way the guys at signal hill turners treat women and they are cool, they are also EBR friendly.

if you really want to get some reveiws going, use yelp, im all about the yelp experience.

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 11-04-2009, 7:14 PM

iron sights in oceanside is female-owned and there are a LOT of women shooters in there. the setup is kind of industrial, but the respect and attitude is right.
megan
Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM

Here in San Diego I have gotten good service at both California Police Equipment and Discount Gun Mart. I refuse to do business with American Shooting Center after the way I was treated by one of the employees. I have had no problems with South California Gun but others have had issues with them (male). Big 5 blew me off but then again that seems to be the store in general and not just the gun section.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I actually had a great experience at The Gun Room in Elk Grove. The guys in there were really helpful and treated both my husband and I the same. And the man at their range was really helpful without treaty me like a "little lady"...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:53 AM

depends on what your buying, most EBR sellers are cool with women, if your looking for a handgun, go to Turners, ive watched how they treat women and seem really cool.

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 12-27-2009, 9:38 PM

I've been around the south SF Bay area shops over the past few years, and my experiences have been mixed.

Gun Vault (Sunnyvale) - Between home and work. I stop in once a month or so to see if they have any 7.62x54R surplus in stock (never do; always "sold out and on order"). I check the used rack, and spend a few minutes chatting with the people there. Wish they carried magazines (the printed kind); would give me more reason to spend $ there. Never felt put down.

Reed's: Mixed. Never a problem at the range; went regularly when Ladies' Night meant I only had to pay for ammo. The shop in SJ was a different story. Largely ignored, and pretty much blown off when I had questions about specific handguns. Was actually laughed at when I asked if they carried Hi-Point.

Kerley's (Cupertino) - Depends on who's there. Ranged from completely ignored (not even a hello) to very helpful.

The bottom line is that it really depends on who's working at a given place when you walk in.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM

Why would gender matter in the sale of a firearm? Whatever some people are A-holes.
Old 12-30-2009, 3:33 PM

^I've seen it first hand. That's why I've always paid attention exactly to whom the gun is for and never treat women as if they don't enjoy guns just as much as males. It's plain foolish to think otherwise.
Old 12-30-2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswanson223 View Post
Why would gender matter in the sale of a firearm? Whatever some people are A-holes.
Some people are A-holes, its unfortunate, but true. Ive seen some men behind the counter treat women with the utmost respect, with that being said ive seen others act like jovenists, and others just hit on them. As a guy it makes me mad, I feel like saying to them, "they are buying your product, shut up and be polite." or "she's not hitting on you back, she obviously thinks your ugly."

Snake Plissken:Got a Smoke?
Malloy:The United States is a non-smoking nation! No smoking, no drugs, no guns, no alcohol, no women-unless your married-no foul language-no red meat!
Snake Plissken-(sarcastic)Land of the Free
Ironic how fiction slowly becomes reality, isnt it?
Old 12-30-2009, 7:36 PM

For those of you who live in San Diego, Wholesale Guns is a great female friendly store. Its a small mom and pop type store located in Santee. Sheri and James own and work there. Everytime I've been in there I've dealt soley with Sheri. She is fantastic to deal with. Great prices too. Infact, both of my 2009 purchases has been through Sheri.
Old 12-30-2009, 9:18 PM

I recommend T&A Armory i have been there many times and i have never seen them treat any customers unfairly since i have noticed they have alot of new gun owners. I think any female gun buyers should put them on the list when searching for a new hand gun or AR15.

http://www.tandaarmory.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
fight the power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
I have one request, will all the fatties please take a shower and use some deodorant before you go to the show.
Old 01-09-2010, 6:44 PM

I have bought all of my guns at The Gun Trader in Reno. I know this isn't convenient for some of you, but for many of you NorCal people, it's not too far. They have always treated me with respect, and I didn't get any of that "maybe you ought to buy a .22" crap you sometimes get other places. One of the owners is female too. She helped me pick out a holster that works really well for me.
I always thought a smaller shop couldn't compete price-wise with the 2 "larger stores" in Reno, but I was SHOCKED when I walked into Cabela's and they had my M&P 9mm priced $175 dollars more than what I paid at The Gun Trader!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangebee View Post
As a thirty-something adult- I have found myself returning to my roots... Living in So Cal, my experiences are limited to the few shops that I've been to:

Best experience:
-Insight Shooting Range, Artesia- These guys are nice, informative, and always available to me from the first time I stepped foot inside. Grreat guys and space.

Good Experiences:
- Turners in Long Beach- Nice crew and i believe a lady works there too. No BS and always friendly... (there is 1 know it all that has been there in the past, but even the employees roll their eyes at him)
- Turners in OC- Only been here once and was treated with respect and good service.
- Ades in OC- Friendly and to the point folks... not as "browser" friendly (it's a small shop), but they are available and informative.
- Shooters Paradise, Oxnard- Nice folks, but incredibly expensive (ammo and pistols). Good selection of gear (Military base is nearby) and very informative! $30 for a box of PMC FMJ .380 acp is a bit much... but they DO have it in stock.
- Fowlers, OC- Nice folks, plenty of staff to help you out. In here, you have to ask for what you want. They'll say "Hi" when you walk in, but after that your on your own until you initiate a need. BUT, once initiated, they'll do loads to help you out.

I plan on getting out to other shops and ranges and will update accordingly.

RBee
I can agree with a LOT in this post. I love going to Insight to shoot indoors and the staff are usually very friendly.

I just went to the Turners in Signal Hill for the first time a couple of weeks back and was extremely (and pleasantly) surprised by the firearm selection and the kindness of the staff there. Although my favorite Turners is the one on Tustin in Orange, the one in Fountain Valley is good as far as I can tell with service but lack a little in the firearm department.

I haven't been to Shooter's paradise, but I have been to Ade's which I can agree on; although at Fowler Gun Room, I think maybe because I am a younger female, I feel as though they were sort of wondering why I was there even though I was just browsing.

To add another OC store, Stockade in Westminster, has a large selection and helpful staff but I also feel like I'm being watched a bit suspiciously in there.

I need to start going in to stores more by myself to get a better grasp of the atmosphere, but for the most part I've had good experiences.

Also, I love going to Lytle Creek Shooting range. The staff there is so incredibly nice and they keep conversations casual and fun a majority of the time.

Hope my first post was helpful!
Old 01-18-2010, 1:25 AM

And to add to the above, I almost forgot about Ammo Brothers by the 91 and 605 intersection. They have a lot of accommodating staff that are very friendly and eager to help. You have to be let in, like at Ade's; and the store is always kept extremely organized.
Old 01-29-2010, 6:53 AM

Default True, but!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khram View Post
Ade's gun shop is owned by a woman.
It is owned by a woman, but it really doesnt matter. I took my wife in there three days ago and had the WORST experience in there with an employee named Pat. When we walked in and started talking about the PPT with him he was immediately smug and incredulous about my little blond wife wanting to buy a .45 ACP revolver. She was mad as hell! My wife is a shooter and scary good shot at that. I wanted to find her the perfect pistol for her to have as HD. Ades gun shop is the most un-female friendly store. After the ten day wait period is over I am going to have a sit down and talk with this Pat character and the owner.

Stay awway from Ades Gun Shop in Orange CA!

Old 02-05-2010, 3:56 PM

High Bridge in San Bruno

360 El Camino Real
San Bruno, CA 94066
650 588 8886

a female works there too
Old 02-06-2010, 3:36 AM

UG Imports in Fremont. Specialty line of firearms and by appointment only, but the owner is a great guy to deal with: efficient, smart, personable, and he does FFL transfers for half what other bay area dealers charge. PPT, too. And UG Imports is a member of Calguns.

http://www.ugimports.com/shop/
Old 02-06-2010, 4:33 PM

For the ladies in the Pasadena-ish area, I highly recommend Bain and Davis in San Gabriel. My wife bought her first gun there (Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm), and the older gentleman (Dave, I believe?) was OUTSTANDING in helping her and answering her questions. He did not condescend or make her feel stupid for not knowing everything about the gun, ammo, maintenance, etc. It's as if he really wanted a happy, returning customer that was satisfied with her purchase and experience in his shop!

Highly recommended, top-notch.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Independence Armory in Petaluma is very welcoming. Sales and gunsmithing in one shop. Very friendly, low key, and if you like AR's you will enjoy going here.
Old 02-12-2010, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Come on out to Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy on Saturday 2/27/10 for our grand opening

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan