Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 08-23-2013, 9:50 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips
Arrow Young Calgunners LOOK: NRA 2013 Youth Essay Contest

I was browsing the NRA Youth Programs and stumbled across a writing contest. Thought I'd post it for you young guns.

Here's the web page LINK.

Here's a direct link to the ENTRY FORM.

Quote:
The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund sponsors a scholarly writing contest for grades K-12. This contest, and the due date for entries, are described below. All writing contest entries should be submitted to the following address:

NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund,
Office of General Counsel,
11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030
Phone: (703) 267-1250

Entries must be postmarked on or before the entry deadline. All entries become the property of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.

2013 Youth Essay Contest

Description, Prizes & Deadline: The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund(NRACRDF) is once again sponsoring an essay contest celebrating the Second Amendment as an integral part of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. The theme for the essay is "The Second Amendment to the Constitution: Why it is important to our nation."

Essays will be judged in two categories: Senior (grades 10-12) and Junior (grades 9 and below), with separate cash prizes awarded to the winners in each category. First place cash prizes are $1,000, $600 for second place prizes, $200 for third place prizes, and $100 for honorable mention.

The entry deadline for this contest is December 1, 2013. Essay contest winners will be selected by the NRACRDF and notified in early 2014. Winners will have their names published in InSights, and one of the Official Journals.

Eligibility: The contest is open to all students enrolled, or who will be enrolled, in an elementary, junior high or high school during the 2013-2014 academic year, or homeschooled students in an equivalent grade level, who have not previously received a prize in the senior category. A previous winner in the junior category, who is now eligible for the senior category, may submit an entry.

Format and Contents: All essays should be about 1,000 words, neat, and legible (double spaced, typed preferred). Essays will be judged on originality, scholarship (including works cited) and presentation (including grammar and spelling). The fund historically receives a large number of entries and the contest is highly competitive. Include your name, age, address, telephone number, school and grade on the essay and also submit a statement from a teacher or parent saying that the paper is your original work. All entries become the property of the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund.
Give it a shot, I say. A chance to win cash prizes, practice your writing skills (which will improve your forum prowess too) and sharpen your knowledge of the second amendment to the constitution. I'd imagine you might even convince your english teacher to give you extra credit!
Old 08-25-2013, 9:17 AM

As a high-school student, I would strongly discourage all other young calgunners in public schools from telling their teachers about guns. It can go very bad.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmikeblues7 View Post
As a high-school student, I would strongly discourage all other young calgunners in public schools from telling their teachers about guns. It can go very bad.
That seems a strange response. You're entitled to it though and you're thoughtfullness shows care and concern. If it's an issue, I suppose just ignore that last part about extra credit at school, that was just my mind wandering anyway.

Here's my opinion on that matter. You wouldn't be telling your teacher about guns. You'd be telling them about your own original writing, the subject being the COTUS and one of the specific amendments to that.

I'm also reminded that same document protects us in these situations of speech as well. It's the amendment preceding the second. And although it can, as you say "go very bad", it can also be turned for the good. Sometimes the easiest path is not the "right" one.

Each person rightly should use as much caution is necessary in their environment and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not speaking publicly about certain beliefs they hold. As long as internally we understand that the supreme law of the land, our history and foundings are nothing to be ashamed of and hidden away in a closet.
Old 08-29-2013, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
That seems a strange response. You're entitled to it though and you're thoughtfullness shows care and concern. If it's an issue, I suppose just ignore that last part about extra credit at school, that was just my mind wandering anyway.

Here's my opinion on that matter. You wouldn't be telling your teacher about guns. You'd be telling them about your own original writing, the subject being the COTUS and one of the specific amendments to that.

I'm also reminded that same document protects us in these situations of speech as well. It's the amendment preceding the second. And although it can, as you say "go very bad", it can also be turned for the good. Sometimes the easiest path is not the "right" one.

Each person rightly should use as much caution is necessary in their environment and I wouldn't begrudge anyone for not speaking publicly about certain beliefs they hold. As long as internally we understand that the supreme law of the land, our history and foundings are nothing to be ashamed of and hidden away in a closet.
I completely understand where you're coming from. The last high-school I went to I told a teacher of mine about my interest in guns, and it all turned out very poorly. I even started a thread about my experience in OT. I think if you mentioned it to your teacher they would pry you for information out of curiosity, then if they don't like what they find, they may discriminate.