Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-02-2014, 6:14 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock_this View Post
I decided to change my mind and take my app in..
I think it was a wise decision to turn in your application. Unfortunately I don't see much happening for us next week as the court has stayed the issuing of the mandate pending the AG's motion to intervene.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 03-02-2014, 6:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes true enough.

But their change in method made me rethink my original plan. At least now, no matter what happens, I'm not as worried about a denial as I was because I just dont see them now taking any time at all to review & deny the "self defense" apps. They'll just trash the whole pile. But if "self defense" stands I'm in line & will expect a fair shake.

I would guess, when I was there around noon the stack was maybe 1-1.25" tall of apps.

They DID date stamp mine. Signature or no signature it didn't matter as I bought the 3 signature pages signed & unsigned and he took my signed ones no problem. No money as we know. He scanned all my pages visually to make sure complete - though my app was likely boring & empty looking given I had nothing to fill in but "no" checks. I simply used "self defense" as my just cause.

The whole process took maybe 1 minute.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM

Got picked up today.

So, all in all submitting your CCW App. Psuedo-online takes about 6 business days.

I should have the green signature card in the next day or so to prove they have it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ccwtrack2.jpg (16.6 KB, 733 views)
Old 03-10-2014, 9:06 PM

Default San Diego CCW time line

If I understand the PC correctly the sheriff has 90 days to process the application. The The Honorable Sheriff Gore is not accepting fees at this time. Is the application complete without fees or is it in limbo. I can not find limbo in the PC. My App was in on February 26, 2014. So does the Honorable Sheriff Gore have until May 26 to approve or deny my application or is he in violation of the PC? Question for The Librarian.
Old 03-11-2014, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Jones View Post
If I understand the PC correctly the sheriff has 90 days to process the application. The The Honorable Sheriff Gore is not accepting fees at this time. Is the application complete without fees or is it in limbo. I can not find limbo in the PC. My App was in on February 26, 2014. So does the Honorable Sheriff Gore have until May 26 to approve or deny my application or is he in violation of the PC? Question for The Librarian.
I think the Sheriff's stance is, whether anyone agrees with it or not is a different story (but most in here don't of course), they have not taken a fully complete app so the 90 days is not an issue in their mind. We/they could also look at it like they are doing us a favor (I know that is going to freak some people out here) and not just declining them all right now under the current rules given self defense GC is not yet secure. So I personally am glad they are willing to sit on them in the self defense pile and wait and see versus just talking all of our apps and denying them under current setup and then we have to do it all over again if self defense stands.

As well, IMHO, I am ok with not pushing the issue on the 90 days because that just gives them a reason to grab your app up and stamp it decline & weed you from the pile given they can and will just decline under current rule which is no CCW for self defense GC. So people that push that 90 day issue with them while waiting for the "self defense" GC to get accepted or turned down, could find themselves declined if they are going to force them to decide in 90 days. Don't push the issue and you can stay nice and safe in the self defense pile waiting for the outcome on the use of that GC. And IF the self defense GC is allowed to stick when it is finally ruled on, I think at that time you can start to get pushy about the 90 days rule. Push the issue before the self defense GC is decided on and risk getting declined and have to resubmit if self defense stands and is decided on outside of 90 days.. that will cost you a lot more lost time than their current lag + 90 days.

Ps - I know, I know about the 90 day law so I don't need a lecture on the legalities or what they can or cannot do and our rights and etc etc etc - this is just my opinion on how I think they are playing it and how I see it working out in their minds.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 AM

I sent my app via certified mail so I'll wait to see what happens.

If the current groups seeking to become intervenors are denied and the lower court is ordered to issue the mandate I will use the certified receipt to push the 90 day rule.

ET1 - U.S. Navy, Retired

Politicians take note...

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic..."
Old 03-12-2014, 11:02 AM

I handed mine in personally, and it was stamped and put on the pile. I left the signature sections blank and specifically asked him if I should sign and he said, "No it is good the way it is for now." I hope that was right.
Old 03-12-2014, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMan View Post
I handed mine in personally, and it was stamped and put on the pile. I left the signature sections blank and specifically asked him if I should sign and he said, "No it is good the way it is for now." I hope that was right.
You could have signed or not signed right now. Either was fine and accepted as per many comments above and my personal experience on what they told me.

When the time comes, if the time comes, and they process self defense GC CCW apps, we will have to do the interview, provide the forms of residency, BG check, fingerprints, etc.. in that process they will get signatures or resignature in front of a witness there if you already signed like I did.
Old 03-28-2014, 9:51 AM

reviving this thread from 3/12 as I see tons of talk from the OC people, but none from SD.

I mailed in my app certified mail right after they called me with the automated recording to tell me my August appointment was cancelled.
I have no idea where I stand in the "queue" of people, but I expect it to be huge.

Orange County seems to be stepping it up and starting move in a more expedited fashion, due to the extremely large number of applicants. Has there been any word from SD?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agro View Post
reviving this thread from 3/12 as I see tons of talk from the OC people, but none from SD.

I mailed in my app certified mail right after they called me with the automated recording to tell me my August appointment was cancelled.
I have no idea where I stand in the "queue" of people, but I expect it to be huge.

Orange County seems to be stepping it up and starting move in a more expedited fashion, due to the extremely large number of applicants. Has there been any word from SD?
OC and SD took different routes. SD decided to sit tight on "self defense" apps until it is official. OC decided to move forward and accept it as it is. Sheriff's choice.

If you want to keep up on SD, watch this thread as it is what SD is hinging on: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=893356

But I am sure, as soon as an SD decision is final, it will be all over these boards.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:08 AM

any updates in SD? anyone who submitted a GC statement of self-defense receive any movement?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 AM

I've been following www.kingdomhobbies.com/CCW.html for SD updates. Kind of short and to the point but also gives links to the long versions.
Old 03-30-2014, 4:00 PM
In Memoriam

Thanks for posting Doc...trying to follow all the threads that get all mixed up with "opinion" makes it difficult if not directly involved on a frequent basis...looks like the next step is a week or two (or more away)...Again, thanks..the link is informative and concise.

opos
Old 04-16-2014, 7:59 AM

I received an official letter from the good sheriff yesterday telling me that my application does not meet the current requirement for "good cause" and would be held in abeyance until the Peruta decision is final.

ET1 - U.S. Navy, Retired

Politicians take note...

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic..."
Old 04-16-2014, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazdat View Post
I received an official letter from the good sheriff yesterday telling me that my application does not meet the current requirement for "good cause" and would be held in abeyance until the Peruta decision is final.
Same. Like i said in the other thread though, at least we know they have received and reviewed the applications now.

We're just in a holding pattern waiting for the court now.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hawk View Post
I've been following www.kingdomhobbies.com/CCW.html for SD updates. Kind of short and to the point but also gives links to the long versions.
Thanks for the link Doc.

I found this interesting...

Quote:
Further, an off the record comment was made by one of the senior staff indicating that the supervisory staff is hearing rumblings that San Diego may be transitioning to a permit model based upon Arizona's CCW program.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Arizona........

Concealed carry[edit]

Arizona residents at least 21 years old can carry a concealed weapon without a permit as of July 29, 2010.[5] Arizona is only the third state in modern U.S. history (after Vermont and Alaska) to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit, and it is the first state with a large urban population to do so.[6]

Arizona is classified as a "shall issue" state. Even though Arizona law allows concealed carry by adults without permit, concealed carry permits are still available and issued by the Concealed Weapons Permit Unit of the Arizona Department of Public Safety for purposes of reciprocity with other states or for carrying firearms in certain regulated places. Requirements for issuance include taking a training class (provided by a licensed third party) or hunter education class, submitting a finger print card, and paying a $60 fee. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age. New permits are valid for five years. Permits issued before August 12, 2005 are valid for four years.[7] Renewing a permit requires only an application and finger print card. However, effective December 31, 2007 the finger print card requirement for renewal is scheduled to end.[8] Arizona recognizes almost all valid out-of-state carry permits, with few exceptions.[9]

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-16-2014, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post

Further, an off the record comment was made by one of the senior staff indicating that the supervisory staff is hearing rumblings that San Diego may be transitioning to a permit model based upon Arizona's CCW program.
I find the chances of this so, so, so highly unlikely. That AZ method is as far from anything they currently believe in CA let alone SD, CA, it would be shocking if they went from virtually nothing to all in and not only all in, but all in in a way that only a few other states have adopted. I say there is a 0.0 chance for this.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I find the chances of this so, so, so highly unlikely. That AZ method is as far from anything they currently believe in CA let alone SD, CA, it would be shocking if they went from virtually nothing to all in and not only all in, but all in in a way that only a few other states have adopted. I say there is a 0.0 chance for this.

Do they really want thousands of mere civilians sullying the
Sheriff's shooting range at Miramar for qualification tests of people
that already took a class and passed a practical shooting test in that class already?
I bet they are thinking who gets stuck to do that job?
Bang bang. Ok, good. Next. Bang bang. ok good. Next!

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 04-17-2014, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazdat View Post
I got the same letter yesterday.

Screw that Sherrif and their BS policy. If there comes a circumstance wherein one of us has a poor outcome due a circumstance that could have been avoided were we allowed to carry there will be hell to pay.

It just pisses me off that the Police dept is completely ineffective, yet we are not allowed to appropriately and adequately (effectively) keep ourselves safe by our own means.

My car was hit last night while I was at work. The PD would not so much as take a report.
Useless in my opinion ...
Old 04-18-2014, 1:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I guess abeyance is better than being denied, received my letter from the good Sherriff today.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 04-18-2014, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Quote:
I took and passed a PC832 firearms class a few years ago....why shouldn't that be good enough.

How about showing certs from several other firearms courses I've taken, both here in CA, and at Front Sight. Doesn't a 4 day defensive handgun class exceed the minimum required by CA law?

Requiring one go to one of the few "approved" instructors in your county smacks of just another opportunity for corruption and abuse.

Quote for the day:
Quote:
"..the mind is the weapon and the hand only its extention. Discipline your mind!" Master Hao, Chenrezi monastery, Valley of the Sun
Old 04-23-2014, 10:29 AM

The SD Sheriffs Dept. website said to apply and send it via mail, or drop it off in person.

" In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Department is revising the process for issuing CCW permits. Anyone wanting to apply for a CCW may submit an application either by mail at P.O. Box 939062, San Diego CA 92193-9062, or in person at 9621 Ridgehaven Court, San Diego, CA 92123 "

So after the application is submitted you can call to schedule the interview appointment or?
Old 04-23-2014, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcs1973 View Post
So after the application is submitted you can call to schedule the interview appointment or?
Unless you would qualify under the "old good cause", business owner with large cash deposits, then no interview.

San Diego will just hold onto your application until Peruta is legally finalized then call you with the next steps.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed1972 View Post
I took and passed a PC832 firearms class a few years ago....why shouldn't that be good enough.

How about showing certs from several other firearms courses I've taken, both here in CA, and at Front Sight. Doesn't a 4 day defensive handgun class exceed the minimum required by CA law?

Requiring one go to one of the few "approved" instructors in your county smacks of just another opportunity for corruption and abuse.
I was back from my 4-day at Front Sight 1 week and took my FS Grad cert with me for my CCW interview- no dice. They require that you take a SDSO approved course for SD permit - So I had to pay the extra $150 or so to take a redundant and very basic course once my CCW was approved... 4 months later.
ga

NRA 2012, American Legion Post 291 SAL 2002,
USCG 100-Ton Capt, Frontsight Legacy member.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM

Question; I would like to apply for business purpose, thou I don't carry cash I do carry VERY expensive GPS gear, computers and other electronics that can be stolen and sold. Once stolen they can be used and never have to be updated. I'm wondering if Mr Gore will push my app to the big pile?

Another question, I own a house in Vegas, can I apply for a ccw in Nevada? If so what's the process for out of state personal? I do tech training in Nevada hell i do the entire west coast and Alaska.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2014, 11:42 AM
Calguns Addict

I put my .40 down as one of my three firearms and listed the caliber.
However, as many can do, the barrel can be changed to .357 SIG.
Assuming we get far enough into this I want to know if we can change caliber
from what is listed on the application, or perhaps I should have listed both calibers?

Old 04-25-2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
from what is listed on the application, or perhaps I should have listed both calibers?
i plan to list my .40 P229 as a .357,which is what i would carry it as.

Sent from my Apple Galaxy Note 7
Old 04-28-2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
You list whatever it is you plan to carry; Firearm(s) AND caliber(s).

So if you plan to carry either caliber for a specific firearm, list both for that specific firearm.

Quote:
I want to know if we can change caliber
from what is listed on the application
Your IA will answer that BUT IMO you should be able to add, subtract, without issue.

Last edited by cs101; 04-28-2014 at 3:28 PM..
Old 05-09-2014, 1:22 PM

FYI I was in yesterday for my prints and photo and I mentioned wanting to change one of the firearms listed on my application and was told it doesn't matter what you list on there till you actually goto the range and qualify it, you can change it then. So don't even worry about what you are listing on there for now.