Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

This class actually sounds very entertaining.

Please tell me he used the phrase "If I told you,I'd have to kill you" That would be perfect.

Last edited by dls; 02-02-2011 at 3:27 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 12:53 AM

Well unfortunately I went to his class this past weekend 1st off did you know he was in SF? lol
ok IMO this guy is a complete idiot!!!
on day one in the morning he stated the 3 basic firearm safety rules treat every gun as if it is loaded, never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy and never put your finger on the trigger unless you are ready to shoot. right after that what does he do? yep points a gun right in the face of a student! he repeatedly swings guns around wildly pulling the trigger repeatedly! hey buddy how about practicing what you preach! oh wait I forgot he doesn't preach gun safety! as a matter of fact he doesn't teach it either!
On day 2 we were dry firing what we were going to be shooting for our test. I had my gun pointed down range at my target. he walked right in front of me so I moved my pistol out of the way so it would not be pointed at him. it was however still pointed down range and in a safe direction. He stops in front of me and shouts at me for moving my pistol! he said that he has dealt with people like me all his life and knows how to handle us! what he knows how to handle safety minded people?

bottom line this was a means to get my cert for my CCW. I know that my little finger is more safety minded than he is! The part that scares the hell out of me is some of the security guards in there who have never even held a weapon before in their lives are going to think that that kind of action that he does is acceptable and there will be an accidental shooting because of his actions!

oh and according to him did you know that Glocks accidentally discharge all on their own?

one of my favorite things that happened in there was this
Jim " Glocks don't have a safety"
me " Yes they do keep you finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot!"
Old 03-31-2011, 10:49 AM

I took this class a couple weeks ago. I am a younger guy so maybe I am just able to deal with anything thrown at me but I thought the class was entertaining and I did in fact learn a couple things in the class. Here are my thoughts.. sorry not very organized, I am just going off my memory.

I would recommended it to any one who 1.knows DAMN sure of the laws and 2.are not easily offended. I know most of you know the laws, however some of you may be easily offended. I am not easily offended, the only thing I am really offended by is when people bash religion or God which he never did. So taking the class and hearing his stories on the side which were generally told during breaks kept me awake and attentive.

He does run his class though with a bit of a hammer fist. He does not allow any goofing off from students.

Some wow moments from my class..

I remember in my class when we were practicing for the range with our guns, a black fellow (probably a good 210 pounds), took his gun and aimed it gangster style all sideways and stuff and started laughing a bit. Jim definitely chewed him out a bit for that until the guy stopped laughing.

Jim also made sure to tell us a good 5-10 times to never touch your cell phone on the firing line on the range or he would kick us out of the range. I remember leaving my cell in the car for this reason. However a kid showed up for a requal and started messing with his cell phone on the firing line on the range. Jim immediately told the kid to get the hell off his range which did make me feel bad for the kid as he packed up his stuff and left, but at the same time it made me think, "what an idiot, if he has taken Jims class, he knows not to take his freakin cell out!!!"

All in all, I only believe Jim showed aggression those two times and thats it. The other 98% of the time he is a really friendly guy with a few cool stories and always has a smile on his face. As for the pointing the guns at people thing, yes this is true. However he does make it a point to show the entire class that every bullet in his class has no powder or head to them (I know I know, assume all guns are loaded with real bullets). So if this makes you uncomfortable this might not be the class for you.

Quick story..

I bought this 32 ammo from the store next to Jim's business and I made the stupid mistake of buying the cheap range ammo. Well, I get to the range next day for our test and every single round I fired would not cycle to the next round. I had to rack the slide every time, sometimes sacrificing an unused round onto the floor. The entire time I was freaking out/panicing and holding up the class because it was a timed firing test. Jim was very patient with me and with a smile on his face told me, "its ok, don't worry, take your time". I was hitting the target very well however I believe Jim showed me leniancy when he passed my firing test. I was very thankful for that because that Kel-Tec P-32 was the entire reason I was there. I shot well with my 38 revolver next. He is very strict on the pass or fail of guard students.

So..

If you are an older gentleman that can not deal with someone elses opinions or views on things with out feeling the urge to fight it or turn it into a debate then this class is not for you. If you do not like authority, then this class is not for you.

So, if you are going to take this class.. here are pointers on how to pass..
1. Never take out your cell phone or have it ring in class. Only on breaks.
2. Don't goof off or talk in class when Jim is teaching.
3. Be on time and follow all gun rules on the range.

I think that pretty much covers how to pass that class. I have reccomended this class to my other friend for his CCW. I am not someone who has to be babied through a CCW course and if you can sack up and not have to be Mr. Right for just ONE WEEKEND, take the class. If you want a ccw class that includes only information and zero opinions, do not take the class. I for one however was not expecting to learn anything new from a CCW course, I just want to get my permit and move on through this costly process as most of you do. Jim's class helped keep this cost as low as possible.

Last edited by Cbr1000Rider; 03-31-2011 at 11:21 AM..
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Funny how you have a passive aggressive way of insulting the "older" members who have had negative experiences due to Jim's "know it all" attitude when he's spreading FUD that was listed in a few posts on page 1. If you want to make it a young versus old guy issue, you seem very young and naive Cbr and you drank Jim's koolaid to the point you seem punch drunk. Is this the first time you've had any *cough* 'training' before?
Old 04-01-2011, 8:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
Funny how you have a passive aggressive way of insulting the "older" members who have had negative experiences due to Jim's "know it all" attitude when he's spreading FUD that was listed in a few posts on page 1. If you want to make it a young versus old guy issue, you seem very young and naive Cbr and you drank Jim's koolaid to the point you seem punch drunk. Is this the first time you've had any *cough* 'training' before?
No, I clearly stated you should only take Jim's class if you know the laws, but nice try with the assumption. Trust me, I had my moments where I had to cringe when he stated misinformation. However I was confident in what I knew was the law. It is easy to dismiss the younger guy as naive, however, maybe I am still at the age where I respect any one who treats me with dignity like Jim did. Maybe when I grow to Jims age, putting him down on a forum will come a lot easier instead of telling a guy face to face. I have no problem with facts people stated and am not dismissing your experiences as negative.. but please, spare the name calling. It is not needed and I am 100% sure that any forum mod will agree. Shall we ask Kestryll?

We don't have to, he already has it outlined for us..

7) Outright insults, name calling, denigrating comments and ‘baiting’ is not allowed.
Comments of this nature are not allowed, if you do not like someone simply do not post in their thread. This rule applies regardless of the root cause, be it religion, orientation or something specific to the individual. This does not refer to joking, ribbing or friendly teasing; these are things friends do. Neither does this rule give anyone free rein to be obnoxious and claim it as a specific trait. This rule refers to comments and post intended solely to offend, antagonize or hurt. If a trend appears of repeatedly posting not to add to the thread but to antagonize a particular member it will result in first a warning, then time off and finally closure of the account.

Last edited by Cbr1000Rider; 04-01-2011 at 8:55 AM..
Old 04-01-2011, 8:47 AM
Calguns Addict

So I say that you seem "naive" and you think that is name calling? LOL
What happened to this?

"I took this class a couple weeks ago. I am a younger guy so maybe I am just able to deal with anything thrown at me but I thought the class was entertaining and I did in fact learn a couple things in the class. Here are my thoughts.. sorry not very organized, I am just going off my memory.

I would recommended it to any one who 1.knows DAMN sure of the laws and 2.are not easily offended"
Old 04-01-2011, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
So I say that you seem "naive" and you think that is name calling? LOL
What happened to this?

"I took this class a couple weeks ago. I am a younger guy so maybe I am just able to deal with anything thrown at me but I thought the class was entertaining and I did in fact learn a couple things in the class. Here are my thoughts.. sorry not very organized, I am just going off my memory.

I would recommended it to any one who 1.knows DAMN sure of the laws and 2.are not easily offended"
You weren't doing the name calling, I am referring to other posts..

"IMO this guy is a complete idiot!!! Idiot"

"Don't give your money to these clowns."

"so moron's one blow to the head shy of being legally retarded"

"why bother saying anything at all to this d-bag"

"why would I knowingly spend my hard-earned money on a douche like him?" You (Shenaniguns) then agreeing.. "You didn't lol"

Last edited by Cbr1000Rider; 04-01-2011 at 8:59 AM..
Old 04-01-2011, 9:00 AM
Head Janitor

The idea of bombmaster's thread was to get info out, the info is out.

Now it's just turning in to a dogpile and worse so this thread is done.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Closed Thread