Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Sacramento Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2015, 5:12 PM

Default Bonetti Road?

Hey CG's!
I've been in Sac for about 2 years, and gone to a few of the ranges (mostly cordova shooting center). I've only recently heard about Bonetti road, near El Dorodo national forrest?
Where out there can we actually shoot? Any place specifically for/against shooting?

And though I'm sure most people say this, I truly am a respectful shooter. Also clean up my brass trash and targets, and never shoot at trees or other wildlife.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Default Bonetti Road?

I hear people shooting all the time somewhere south of the Dead Biker Memorial east of the Sly Park area. This particular area is farther east than Bonetti.

This looks like where they probably are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2015, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Anywhere up or down Bonetti is fine. You will see that there are dozens of places to pull off and shoot. The picture posted above is just one. Most of the others are right off the paved road.

Here is a quote from another thread where people were asking.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
It's open during the fall, spring and summer. The access gates to Mormon Emigrant trail are closed to vehicle traffic during the winter because it gets heavy snow and they do not plow the road. The gates usually are closed from around the 1st of December until April 1st. However if you have a serious 4 wheeling rig you can still get out there even during the deep snow.

You can drive right up to the shooting spots during the time of year that the access gates are open. You don't need 4 wheel drive or anything. Many people drive up in their minivans and little Honda cars. It's a National Forest so technically you can shoot anywhere out their as long as you observe California laws, Their are many spots on Bonetti Road that are very obviously shooting spots. Once you get about a mile down Bonetti the spots are all over the place. Bonetti has .5 mile markers painted on trees to let you know how far in you have gone.

The ELDorado National Forest website lists the seasonal road closures. The access to Bonetti is listed as Forest Route 5 on the seasonal list. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...fsbdev7_019037 If winter starts late or the winter thaw comes early they open/close the gates accordingly.

Ah memories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbV7YRUChi8

Here is another video (not mine) that shows the drive in from Emigrant Trail Road onto Bonetti Road. The turn onto Bonetti is at 1:37. You will see some of the turn outs that folks use to shoot from. Their are a ton of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFk_TdZw4s

Hope all that helps! If you need more info just ask.
I shoot there regularly so if you ever need a buddy to roll with you send me a PM. You can see from the second video I linked to their are a number of turnouts on the side of the road, the first of which are about a mile in. You can shoot from any of them. Once your in about a mile you see them on both sides of the road every couple hundred yards. Some spots are more opened up that others.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 10-23-2015 at 3:49 PM..
Old 10-26-2015, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
I hear people shooting all the time somewhere south of the Dead Biker Memorial east of the Sly Park area. This particular area is farther east than Bonetti.

This looks like where they probably are.
That is Snow Mill Road 10N59
just before the memorial take the right and go back less than a mile

Quote:
Anywhere up or down Bonetti is fine. You will see that there are dozens of places to pull off and shoot.

The ELDorado National Forest website lists the seasonal road closures. The access to Bonetti is listed as Forest Route 5 on the seasonal list. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/eldora...fsbdev7_019037 If winter starts late or the winter thaw comes early they open/close the gates accordingly.

Just to be clear, the access to Bonetti is Mormon Emigrant Trail (also called MET, route 5, or 10N50)
There is no gate on the lower end at any time of year so you can always access Bonetti (even if covered in snow). The gate and closure of MET is from the Silverfork Junction (20 miles from Sly Park) to the Snow Park at the highway 88 end once enough snow exists since it become part of the Silver Bear snowmobile trail.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I shoot there regularly so if you ever need a buddy to roll with you send me a PM. You can see from the second video I linked to their are a number of turnouts on the side of the road, the first of which are about a mile in. You can shoot from any of them. Once your in about a mile you see them on both sides of the road every couple hundred yards. Some spots are more opened up that others.
Thanks I really appreciate it! Yeah I'm always down to go shooting with a fellow enthusiast! Send me a message next time you're thinking about heading out.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:51 PM

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Always happy and grateful to learn of some new shooting areas!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Don't shoot trees they will ticket you.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Don't shoot trees they will ticket you.
Don't shoot trees REGUARDLESS! and please leave it nicer than you found it
You did ask. They were only following your instructions. Next time be a bit more careful in how you phrase your posts. If you give people a straight line like that, this is about the level of response you are bound to get. Just be glad you didn't post "Date this rifle"... Those pictures are usually very disturbing.

-Mb
Old 10-31-2015, 7:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SolidGhost View Post
Hey CG's!
I've been in Sac for about 2 years, and gone to a few of the ranges (mostly cordova shooting center). I've only recently heard about Bonetti road, near El Dorodo national forrest?
Where out there can we actually shoot? Any place specifically for/against shooting?

And though I'm sure most people say this, I truly am a respectful shooter. Also clean up my brass trash and targets, and never shoot at trees or other wildlife.
You can get a free map at either of the two local ranger stations up there. One map shows north of the 50 one shows south of the 50. You can get the exact locations in the other bonetti road thread. Sportsmen warehouse has a much better color map of the area or use a gps.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2015, 11:09 AM

That depends on the amount of snow
Old 12-26-2015, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

It was open on 12/23/15. I was there shooting. Though they have road closed signs up the closure is much farther up. Call the Placerville Ranger district (530-644-2324) before you go up to make sure it will be open. It is listed as Forest Route 5 as well as Iron Mountain Road Their is no gate to close that low on the road. The gate is much farther up well past Bonetti. They can and have used a snow berms to close off lower areas but Bonetti should always be open. They do not plow Mormon Emigrant Trail / Forest Route 5 / Iron Mountain Road in the winter or Bonetti Road so snow might be an issue. If you get stuck up there and many do, expect to pay $300 plus to get towed out.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 12-26-2015 at 10:11 PM..
Old 12-26-2015, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Anywhere up or down Bonetti is fine. You will see that there are dozens of places to pull off and shoot. The picture posted above is just one. Most of the others are right off the paved road.

Sapper, quick question. Why is this area legal to shoot in? Are all areas like this a "go" to shoot in?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNinja View Post
Sapper, quick question. Why is this area legal to shoot in? Are all areas like this a "go" to shoot in?
It is legal because it is within the ElDorado (Yes it's one word) National Forest. It is legal to shoot anywhere in the national forest provided you follow these rules.

1.You are at least 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
2.You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or an adjacent body of water.
3.You are not shooting into or within a cave.
4.You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person, property or resource is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
5.You are not firing any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.

Rule 2 is key. You can shoot next to a forest road (like Bonetti) but can not shoot across it or while standing on it or place any targets on the road itself. This applies to the dirt fire access roads that run throughout the forest.

The same rules apply to other National forests.

Take a look at this link. It has good info about it. The shooting part is on the second page but basically repeats what I wrote. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev7_018781.pdf

If your new to shooting to the area please keep these 3 things in mind. Don't put targets on or prop the up against live trees, make sure you havre a safe backdrop like a hillside and pack out what you pack in.

Last edited by Sapperforward; 12-26-2015 at 10:14 PM..
Old 12-26-2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
It is legal because it is within the ElDorado (Yes it's one word) National Forest. It is legal to shoot anywhere in the national forest provided you follow these rules.

1.You are at least 150 yards from a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation area or occupied area.
2.You are not shooting across or on a National Forest System Road or an adjacent body of water.
3.You are not shooting into or within a cave.
4.You are not shooting in any manner or place where any person, property or resource is exposed to injury or damage as a result of such discharge.
5.You are not firing any tracer bullet or incendiary ammunition.

Rule 2 is key. You can shoot next to a forest road (like Bonetti) but can not shoot across it or while standing on it or place any targets on the road itself. This applies to the dirt fire access roads that run throughout the forest.

The same rules apply to other National forests.

Take a look at this link. It has good info about it. The shooting part is on the second page but basically repeats what I wrote. http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...ev7_018781.pdf

If your new to shooting to the area please keep these 3 things in mind. Don't put targets on or prop the up against live trees, make sure you havre a safe backdrop like a hillside and pack out what you pack in.
Outstanding, ty so much
Old 12-27-2015, 12:12 AM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

It is always good practice to to clean up and bring out more than you bring in.
Old 12-28-2015, 4:29 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post
It is always good practice to to clean up and bring out more than you bring in.
This.