Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-21-2018, 9:42 PM

Default Compliant or Register

Hello!

Just wanted to hear from fellow enthusiasts some thoughts on Cali legislation.

The way I understand it is we can make our rifles compliant by spending $$$ on silly looking parts, or we can just register them as assault weapons, whatever that means.

Whatís the common consensus? Pros and cons of either?

I will just add that whoever came up with the idea of adding silly parts to rifles to make them compliant, and then at the same time allowed the removal of the bullet button is an idiot for purely practical reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 10:27 PM

I went compliant because, in addition to not havjng to worry about other actions taken against registered guns, I want the gun grabbers to remember the millions of ARs and AKs that DIDN'T get reg'ed. Lots of folks are keeping them in their original condition with an "idgaf" attitude but I want to keep taking them out to the range, etc., with no worries.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

What rifles???

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:39 PM

not trying to burn the noob, but there are multiple threads with multiple pages on this vey topic. It's another never ending debate here.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:43 PM

My opinion (in a nutshell with some exceptions based on your situation) is for long guns DROSed before 2014, compliance. For AW configurations DROSed after 2014 register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave50 View Post
not trying to burn the noob, but there are multiple threads with multiple pages on this vey topic. It's another never ending debate here.

Old 04-22-2018, 6:28 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
My opinion (in a nutshell with some exceptions based on your situation) is for long guns DROSed before 2014, compliance. For AW configurations DROSed after 2014 register.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is the rout I am going. I don't want to tell tell them about those they do not know about plus this leaves me with some AR's and AK's that my minor kids can still shoot.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 04-22-2018, 7:13 AM

Register, the state dictates how and where you can use your rifle, how to transport it, and basically bars you from selling or transferring it to anyone else in the state. You can not will the rifle to anyone. in other words you are transferring ownership to the state, but they will let you use it as long as you play by their rules. Worse, you need to pay them $ to take ownership of the rifle and you're stuck with that bullet button. Some say registering protect you from future restrictive laws. Time will tell, but do you really want to trust this government on that? Others say you can always make it featureless and deregister it later, but why go through the $ and hassle to do this, even if the state lets you.

Featureless rifles are ugly, but very usable. The conversion is easier to do than registration, and if done right costs about the same. A bonus it that the rifle is still yours, if bought after 2014 it is in the general dros database, not the evil/scary/confiscate-first database, and you can use a normal mag release, not that bb.

Btw, pre or post 2014, shouldn't matter when deciding if you want to register your rifle, they don't know how it's configured.

Then there is the lock-mag option. But as someone else said, there is a bunch of info on all of these options. I recommend doing some research.

Hope this helps

For information on the State of Jefferson movement go to http://www.soj51.net/

Last edited by kenl; 04-22-2018 at 7:19 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 7:15 AM

Amazing! Great conversation, and I apologize for starting another thread about it. I imagine there were others, and I did search but found nothing..

The 2014 rule makes perfect sense. Could you elaborate on this? Isnít DROS reported to the DOJ automatically? What were they doing before 2014??

Old 04-22-2018, 7:22 AM

After 2014 long guns are registered by make/model/serial #, just like handguns. Before that there was a record that you bought a long gun, and that was it.

Old 04-22-2018, 7:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
The 2014 rule makes perfect sense. Could you elaborate on this? Isn’t DROS reported to the DOJ automatically? What were they doing before 2014??
Since the 1960's, they have kept track of handgun transactions including the make/model/barrel-length/caliber so they know what handguns you legally transferred if they run an inquiry on your name.
Long guns were not tracked in this manner before 2014.

Before 2014, they only know when you TRANSFERRED long guns.
They do not (supposedly) know if you bought rifles or shotguns or the make/model/barrel-length/caliber.

After 2014, they log the details of your purchase into the database.
They can look up your name in the database and will be able to see exactly what make/model/barrel-length/caliber of rifle or shotgun you have transferred into your ownership since the beginning of 2014.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 04-22-2018 at 7:30 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 7:35 AM

Op, there are a lot of threads on the pros and cons of registering in the 2nd amend. Political discussion and activism forum, and a bunch of how tos, including a featureless photo thread, in the semi auto and gas operated forum.

Have fun

Last edited by kenl; 04-22-2018 at 7:37 AM..
Old 04-22-2018, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I will just add that whoever came up with the idea of adding silly parts to rifles to make them compliant, and then at the same time allowed the removal of the bullet button is an idiot for purely practical reasons.

That's irrelevant. It's up to the consumer to decide what they're willing to buy.

None of the "silly parts" as you call them are purchased by people who intend to break the law in the future by removing them, and criminals don't hang out here looking for parts to make their illegal guns less illegal!
Old 04-22-2018, 8:35 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Registering your guns is like dropping the soap in prison.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:10 AM

I did reg.. some back in early 89 .. Because i still wanted to be able to take them out ... And now, most of the time it becomes a hassle..... NEVER AGAIN
Old 04-23-2018, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl View Post
Register, the state dictates how and where you can use your rifle, how to transport it, and basically bars you from selling or transferring it to anyone else in the state. You can not will the rifle to anyone. in other words you are transferring ownership to the state, but they will let you use it as long as you play by their rules. Worse, you need to pay them $ to take ownership of the rifle and you're stuck with that bullet button. Some say registering protect you from future restrictive laws. Time will tell, but do you really want to trust this government on that? Others say you can always make it featureless and deregister it later, but why go through the $ and hassle to do this, even if the state lets you.

Featureless rifles are ugly, but very usable. The conversion is easier to do than registration, and if done right costs about the same. A bonus it that the rifle is still yours, if bought after 2014 it is in the general dros database, not the evil/scary/confiscate-first database, and you can use a normal mag release, not that bb.

Btw, pre or post 2014, shouldn't matter when deciding if you want to register your rifle, they don't know how it's configured.

Then there is the lock-mag option. But as someone else said, there is a bunch of info on all of these options. I recommend doing some research.

Hope this helps
This. Right. Here.

No one seems to look at it like this, but this is exactly what it is. They're also incredibly invasive asking for tons of photos of the complete rifle as if anything other than the lower is actually considered the rifle. If the DOJ ever tried to confiscate anything they'd get a stripped lower and the middle finger.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SISKIN View Post
I did reg.. some back in early 89 .. Because i still wanted to be able to take them out ... And now, most of the time it becomes a hassle..... NEVER AGAIN
Yeah, I registered mine too. Featureless wasn't an option back then.
Old 04-23-2018, 8:08 AM

I complied with the existing law every time i bought a weapon. If the state failed to track it by whatever means that is on them and not on me. featureless is not a legitimate issue now except for rifles that are purchased since that law passed. The state has created that this mess that is impossible not to violate but why should i and others have to pay out of our own pockets to clean it up? If you walked into a gun store and purchased the weapon then you complied with the law of the time on configuration and compliance otherwise the gun shop should not have sold it to you. You passed the background checks so you are good to go. if the state threw those records away then that is on them and not on you. You broke no laws and new laws do not apply. If it was legal to run red lights all of these years and now the state says it is against the law can they go back and fine you for every red light you ran prior to the new law? No difference here from what I see.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Expect . . . . that featureless - presently compliant non-AW rifles, will be the next target for yet another class of AW's in the near future (likely when our next progressive liberal and rabidly anti-gun Governor takes office).

While I agree that going featureless is very useful now, that situation could be short-lived.

The situation, and associated choices, will vary between individuals, so each must make the decision that best suits their own.

I believe those who are thinking ahead are hedging their bets now.

Last edited by onelonehorseman; 04-23-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 04-23-2018, 12:21 PM

Regardless of when you purchased the rifle, i don’t see the point in registering. IMO there is zero upside to registering, but significant downside:

You can no longer pass them down to family members
You’re officially a registered assault weapon owner (which could be used against you in a domestic dispute, or for a multitude of other reasons)
Etc.
Old 04-23-2018, 1:36 PM

I can understand some people don't like featureless items. But some of the fixed mag solutions are a lot better than the bullet button is.
Old 04-23-2018, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
You can no longer pass them down to family membersYouíre officially a registered assault weapon owner (which could be used against you in a domestic dispute, or for a multitude of other reasons)
Etc.
Only true if your family members live in CA.

As for being a registered AW owner... its just another list when you have handguns purchased since 1968, long guns purchased after 2014, and a CCW.

Just look at my CCW, I've got a friggin' "arsenal" listed on that alone.
Old 04-23-2018, 2:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

i figure i am already toast i have well over 10 registered handguns registered assault weapons a registered 50 bmg
Old 04-23-2018, 3:38 PM

Registered advantages:

1.Use mags that hold more than 10 rounds (if you have them)
2.Can go under 30" OAL (great if you want to un-pin folders or shorten bullpups) Still must be over 26" OAL.
3. May one day (through legal action) be able to remove BB and have standard mag release.
4. IMO, legitimizes your firearm (letter from DOJ showing registration). This is great for LEO contact (look, here's my registration). Also for use with Arm braces/Cheek rests if registered & approved that way. (again, look LEO, here's how the DOJ approved it).
5. Gun will have the original look (important if you're a collector).
6. Ability to un-register if you sell out of state or go featureless (this will allow someone to inherit them).

Disadvantages:

1.Transportation restrictions
2.DOJ knows you have it (confiscation one day?)
3.Others in household can't have access unless Joint registered

I registered all mine. The State knows I own guns already. I also regretted not registering a few in 2001. Won't make that mistake again.

Law Enforcement is grossly under-trained on the recognition of all things AW. A letter from the DOJ (your registration) and the original full length pic of what you uploaded to the DOJ, may help you avoid any legality issues during LEO contact.

Last edited by Dump1567; 04-23-2018 at 3:40 PM..
Old 04-23-2018, 3:40 PM

If you think CADOJ doesn't have specifics on a rifle you drosd before 2014 then think again.
Old 04-23-2018, 4:11 PM

Pre 2014 data exists. I don't judge anyone on there decisions.
Old 04-23-2018, 4:24 PM
S/360 Changed The Game
CGN Contributor

FWIW, all my evil long guns are in NV.
Old 04-23-2018, 4:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
Registered advantages:

1.Use mags that hold more than 10 rounds (if you have them)
2.Can go under 30" OAL (great if you want to un-pin folders or shorten bullpups) Still must be over 26" OAL.
3. May one day (through legal action) be able to remove BB and have standard mag release.
4. IMO, legitimizes your firearm (letter from DOJ showing registration). This is great for LEO contact (look, here's my registration). Also for use with Arm braces/Cheek rests if registered & approved that way. (again, look LEO, here's how the DOJ approved it).
5. Gun will have the original look (important if you're a collector).
6. Ability to un-register if you sell out of state or go featureless (this will allow someone to inherit them).

Disadvantages:

1.Transportation restrictions
2.DOJ knows you have it (confiscation one day?)
3.Others in household can't have access unless Joint registered

I registered all mine. The State knows I own guns already. I also regretted not registering a few in 2001. Won't make that mistake again.

Law Enforcement is grossly under-trained on the recognition of all things AW. A letter from the DOJ (your registration) and the original full length pic of what you uploaded to the DOJ, may help you avoid any legality issues during LEO contact.

So does that mean you can't modify the registered assault weapon? Like change the upper, stock, hand guards? Changing barrel length or caliber? I'm just trying to clarify. I was planning on registering most of mine but want the ability to change them up a bit in the future.
Old 04-23-2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperforward View Post
So does that mean you can't modify the registered assault weapon? Like change the upper, stock, hand guards? Changing barrel length or caliber? I'm just trying to clarify. I was planning on registering most of mine but want the ability to change them up a bit in the future.
DOJ says the only thing you cannot do is change out the BB and have it less than 26" OAL. Aside from that, you can change uppers, sights, pistol grips, hand guards, stocks, etc.

I believe a LEO encounter will end as soon as you hand him/her the registration papers and that its being transported properly. I don't think they'll demand the photos that you originally submitted.
Old 04-23-2018, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPun762 View Post
DOJ says the only thing you cannot do is change out the BB and have it less than 26" OAL. Aside from that, you can change uppers, sights, pistol grips, hand guards, stocks, etc.

I believe a LEO encounter will end as soon as you hand him/her the registration papers and that its being transported properly. I don't think they'll demand the photos that you originally submitted.
Thanks. That clears it up for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
You can change whatever you want (within the parameters listed above). I was mostly referring to something like a Arm brace on a pistol. These have been a "gray area" in CA prior to the DOJ approving them through AW registration. But your local LEO might think it's a stock. That's where a picture of how it was registered might come in handy.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
There are no laws from stopping the reconfiguring of a registered assault weapon.
There is a regulation requiring you to keep the bullet button.
Regulations are not laws though.
You get arrested for breaking laws.
You can not be arrested for breaking a regulation if there is no supporting law for that regulation.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

As with others, registering post 2014 guns that meet AW criteria. Pre-2014 guns will be compliant. I may or may not have all the uppers with brakes and duplicate 80% lowers they don't need to know about.

Would moving uppers around between AW and featureless pose any issues?

Can we still engrave home built guns with our own serial and info without requesting one from DOJ?
Old 04-23-2018, 7:50 PM

why not do your own engraving unless you are reporting them to DOJ and registering them with the DOJ? Maybe engrave a one finger salute with a serial number after it? (LOL)
Old 04-23-2018, 8:05 PM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

I converted my Vast collection of 3 ARs to featureless.

My thinking (and this could change) is I can pass 1 each to my 3 sons.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 04-23-2018, 10:15 PM

I don't need guns. The government protects me.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 PM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

Quote:

How do you figure? Seems brilliant to me for figuring out a way to get rid of bullet buttons and not having to register the rifle.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
How do you figure? Seems brilliant to me for figuring out a way to get rid of bullet buttons and not having to register the rifle.
+1, even if I have to break my rifles in half and use a baseball bat for home defence I refuse to register a sporting rifle as an "Assault Weapon" especially one with a fixed 10 round magazine. Like common, that's a joke. It only flies because of the nutty democrats. They literally have made California it's own country and have gone unchecked for too long.

I know they're going to go too far, and at this rate it'll probably be within the next six months, and for sure the next 3 years. All this media pandering to the gun-grabbers is giving them confidence to overstep the line they've been toeing on for a long time.

They'll order a total ban on RAW's like Deerfield did. If you don't they'll hit you where it hurts and that's your pocket. They'll tax you to death, withhold registration for your vehicles, whatever it takes.

Then they pass another AW ban just like Mass banning all "scary" looking rifles, leaving only the mini-14 & the M1A so they can say they didn't ban all high-powered semi auto rifles.

If we don't vote these people out, and if California doesn't wake up with all the craziness that's going on, things are going to get dark and fast. Stay woke.
Old 04-24-2018, 8:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You need to ask yourself this simple question:

Do you trust the polititians in Excremento with your gun rights?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:56 AM

WELL it's a good thing i have few mimi-14s