Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-21-2018, 9:35 PM

Default New guy with Marketplace question

Hello fine gentlemen,

Happy to be here, lots of great info.

I have a question about the marketplace. I spent some time this evening browsing and I would say a large majority of the threads I looked at all claim “never been fired”. I realize there’s no way to really prove this but do people really go for it?

I’ve put thousands of rounds through my own stuff and it still looks brand new. I’ll never sell any of it but if I did, I’d feel silly putting “nbf” in my posts. Which leads me to my other question, are there really that many great firearms in Cali that have never been fired? Is it just a thing that everyone says and are we going on the honor system and believing it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2018, 9:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Some people collect guns, some shoot them.

There are many here who buy low, sell high.
They are in it to make a few bucks and have not shot them.

Trust yourself to thoroughly inspect condition.

If a few rounds went through, but the price is fair, no big deal to me.

I shoot all of my guns.

AND: Welcome.
Old 04-21-2018, 9:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I am sure some put that in the add and are being dishonest.
I can also tell you that NBF is completely false because all firearms are test fired at the factory. Maybe NBF by the owner but not true about NBF at all.

Besides most firearms can be fired many times and still be excellent condition for all but the most picky shooters. A benchrest shooter who is in competition would be more concerned that the average(or above average) shooter who uses the firearm for pleasure/fun/hunting/plinking.
Old 04-21-2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post
Some people collect guns, some shoot them.

There are many here who buy low, sell high.
They are in it to make a few bucks and have not shot them.

Trust yourself to thoroughly inspect condition.

If a few rounds went through, but the price is fair, no big deal to me.

I shoot all of my guns.

AND: Welcome.

Thank you kind sir.

Old 04-21-2018, 9:57 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Hello fine gentlemen,

Happy to be here, lots of great info.

I have a question about the marketplace. I spent some time this evening browsing and I would say a large majority of the threads I looked at all claim “never been fired”. I realize there’s no way to really prove this but do people really go for it?

I’ve put thousands of rounds through my own stuff and it still looks brand new. I’ll never sell any of it but if I did, I’d feel silly putting “nbf” in my posts. Which leads me to my other question, are there really that many great firearms in Cali that have never been fired? Is it just a thing that everyone says and are we going on the honor system and believing it?

I have more guns that I have never fired, and that have never been fired outside the factory, than guns I have fired. And I have a lot of guns. So yes, there are a lot of them out there: great guns that have never been shot since leaving the factory.

Because CA is forever restricting what can be bought, and many of us have been to the rodeo a few times, we stock up while we can. We usually over do it. Thank us later, and you're welcome in advance

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 04-21-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Old 04-21-2018, 11:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a bunch of guns that have never been fired. That said, I have guns that I shoot all the time. If guns are ever outlawed, I have fresh ones to hold me over until I leave California
Old 04-22-2018, 6:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have plenty of Guns I’ve never fired as I have doubles and triples of.....I have Guns I shoot the piss out of and even some I collect. You can tell if a gun has a significant amount of rounds through her with a simple breakdown and inspection. I sold a gun here on Calguns never been fired, never even racked the slide, never pulled the trigger so that’s how I wrote my ad. Feedback helps keeps Calguns honest I tend to trust buyers with significant feedback as they have proven themselves here in our community.
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 04-22-2018, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
I have plenty of Guns I’ve never fired as I have doubles and triples of.....I have Guns I shoot the piss out of and even some I collect. You can tell if a gun has a significant amount of rounds through her with a simple breakdown and inspection. I sold a gun here on Calguns never been fired, never even racked the slide, never pulled the trigger so that’s how I wrote my ad. Feedback helps keeps Calguns honest I tend to trust buyers with significant feedback as they have proven themselves here in our community.

Good point about feedback. Are there any blatant tell tale signs a gun has been fired more than the factory test round?

And good on you guys with your unfired collection!

Old 04-22-2018, 8:59 AM

Look for wear marks on moving parts. Other than that look for carbon/dirt in th bolt face and body.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Many of my guns are low round count and the CZs I own have never been fired. It's not by choice though, I have a busy work, a toddler, a baby, and I've learned I gotta give my wife attention too. I shoot only 2 to 3 times a year.
Old 04-22-2018, 1:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I could shoot a different gun every day of the year and not repeat so yes it is possible. I generally have fired all my guns as I don't generally collect commemoratives or guns costing 10-30k+ each but I own piles of guns that have not been fired in 10-15 years and many that have had well less than 200 rounds through them by me.

I assume all guns I buy from individuals to have been fired. And all new guns are generally test fired or proofed. Most people generally don't have the time and money and place to shoot a gun to excessive round counts.

I'm more wary of excessive round counts like on trap shotguns, certain 22 competition handguns, things like that.
Old 04-22-2018, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

It is not uncommon to see an unfired gun that is for sale here. I have had my fair share of them, similar to the members above.

Welcome to CG!
Old 04-22-2018, 5:28 PM

Lots I have never fired. Many I have only fired 3-4 times. A couple I have shot the pants off of. It's funnier to me that it seems often in marketplace, guys think a few thousand rounds is a lot.
Old 04-22-2018, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I've had guns I've fired only 5-10 rounds out of.
Old 04-22-2018, 6:51 PM

and there are some guns that the value will go down if shot, like a safequeen Colt Snake gun ect. so for the collector there more for looking at and for investment sakes
Old 04-22-2018, 7:19 PM

I have many firearms that I have never fired. If you have been around the block in CA, you can easily see the writing on the wall that supply is being restricted artificially by Kali pols and their support from anti-2nd folks. CA gun owners don't effectively fight 'em because they move away, are apathetic, and/or don't vote. If you buy something that eventually gets restricted, what do you think from Econ 101 will probably happen to the price?

I have enough firearms that I fire so I don't have to use my unfired examples as I presume many of the other fine Calgunners do the same. However, most firearms will be test fired at the factory so keep that in mind.

If you have fired enough firearms, you will know where wear or evidence of enough firing usually shows up when you have to clean them. In the case of a pistol, the slide face where the firing pin strikes the primer is where a brass circle from the casing will show up from enough rounds being fired. In the case of a revolver, lead/carbon will build up on the inside of the cylinders and at the forcing cone and flame cutting will show up on the top strap.
Old 04-22-2018, 7:31 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I think by and large most of your veteran members that have good iTrader ratings are going to be stand up folks. There's nothing to be gained by being dishonest and if it's someone like CALI-gula, SkyHawk or Big Pimpin etc... I see these guys here every day, if they say the gun hasn't been fired (other than at the factory), as far as I am concerned it hasn't been fired and that's the end of the story.

In my mind that only matters really for collector stuff, for instance CALI-gula often has some semi-rare to very rare pieces for sale and if you see his ads he is meticulous in his descriptions. If you're buying a high dollar vintage revolver you deserve to know every known detail and he provides them.

On the other hand, if I sell a Gen 3 Glock 19 or something that's all you get is my word that it has or hasn't been fired and any obvious wear/tear. It's a Glock, if it's had 50 rounds or 500 rounds fired through it, that makes virtually no difference. And it's the farthest thing from a rare gun so even if it's unfired that changes the value very little so there's no reason to lie about it.

And welcome, although I see you joined 5 years ago.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-22-2018, 7:43 PM

I seem to notice a lot of off roster handguns listed as never been fired. I don’t want to accuse people of anything, but I have a good idea why.
Old 04-22-2018, 8:00 PM
Veteran Member

I think “madoka” bought over 200 handguns last year....or even EACH of the last two years.

Doubt he shot more than a handful.

It happens.

Old 04-22-2018, 9:00 PM

This is an enlightening thread. My guns are like my toys and even if I don't plan to shoot them much, I still can't wait to shoot them for the first time after I pick them up from jail. But I do see many good points made on this thread.
Old 04-22-2018, 9:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
I think “madoka” bought over 200 handguns last year....or even EACH of the last two years.

Doubt he shot more than a handful.

It happens.

Madoka is probably the champ and I'm sure it is impossible for him to have shot all his guns to high round counts and no point in doing so. I currently have 15 guns in DROS or waiting to be DROSed. So you all can see how some people do not have the physical ability and time to shoot all their guns all that much.

Even people with only a few guns, I commonly find they have guns they have seldom or never fired. Many people purchase guns thinking they are a magic wand that wards off the bad guy but never really practice with them or get training. It isn't that uncommon to come across new or as new in box guns from 30-40 years ago.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome gents. Yeah I joined 5 years ago before my first purchase but was to shy to post.

Great discussion, I totally see how it is possible to see so many NBF guns (aside from test round). Between the babies, the wife, and work, I get out to shoot maybe 2-3 times a year. So yeah, I read you.

Old 04-23-2018, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum OP.

I have had a few safe queens over the years (guns bought more for opportunity and investment, than need).

I've since sold most of those though. I try to stick with what I actually use now.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:03 AM

Do your homework .. go over it with a fine tooth comb. i got an Areo 20" complete upper that was never fired by the owner .. No wear marks at all ..
Old 04-23-2018, 8:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVazha View Post
Great discussion, I totally see how it is possible to see so many NBF guns (aside from test round). Between the babies, the wife, and work, I get out to shoot maybe 2-3 times a year. So yeah, I read you.
It kind of boils down to the fact that I think most people are honest when it comes down to buying and selling on forums and online in general really. I remember the early days of Ebay and Paypal was still kind of new... A guy had a like-new American Fender Stratocaster and I was the high bidder at something like $500. Well he wanted a USPS money order so I sent it never knowing if I'd see that money again! Of course about a week later a beautiful guitar shows up at my doorstep and I was off to the races with online buying and selling.

With firearms purchases (in CA) you're forced into a face to face transaction so if you show up and that "unfired" piece had 1,000 rounds down the pipe you'll be able to quickly see the guy is FOS and you can back out. If you can't tell, then does it matter? Probably not right? I have yet to show up and buy a gun and have it in worse condition than the seller described, it's always been better.

Almost all the guns I bought under the SSE loophole from 2012-2014 remain unfired. They're hard to get in CA and I bought most of them for future trade bait.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:13 PM
From Anotha Motha
CGN Contributor

Yep, I have an unfired NIB CZ SP01 that I've had for a year. So I believe it.
Old 04-24-2018, 1:14 PM

I always put "low round count". 5, or maybe 10,000 or so....
Old 04-24-2018, 1:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I actually have bought some guns that are collecting dust in the safe. Every few years, we get a big scare and everyone starts buying. That was me a few years back. I have less and less time to go to the range.

I did buy a black powder revolver that was listed as never shot from a Calgunner. It was sent via mail (antique firearm) so I didn’t get to inspect it in person. Opened it up and it was full of burnt powder.
Old 04-24-2018, 2:41 PM

I'd be more interested in the integrity of those who say "only 200 rounds down the pipe."
Old 04-24-2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
I'd be more interested in the integrity of those who say "only 200 rounds down the pipe."
i have 4 glocks that each got 200 rounds fired, 50 rounds of each kind of defense ammo i have, to check for reliability. Those guns are home defense guns, number 201 will be into a home invader and the cops will get the gun. Thats why they are glocks and yes, some can justify the 200 rounds .
Old 04-24-2018, 3:17 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackcage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Sprig View Post
i have 4 glocks that each got 200 rounds fired, 50 rounds of each kind of defense ammo i have, to check for reliability. Those guns are home defense guns, number 201 will be into a home invader and the cops will get the gun. Thats why they are glocks and yes, some can justify the 200 rounds .
Yeah I think 200 rounds or thereabouts is a pretty common number trackcage. I have a couple that I know are right there... one trip to the range with a new gun to me is a 150-200 round deal, particularly if it's a defensive handgun in a common caliber. A couple boxes of FMJ and a box or two of Federal HST.

Old 04-24-2018, 3:46 PM

I wouldn't necessarily doubt someone's account of how they've(not) fired their gun. I, myself, have had firearms that sat for months to over a year without being fired. Check the feedback.
Old 04-24-2018, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

I fire all my guns within 24 hours of picking them up. I question everyone, including the posters in this thread, who says they own a gun they've never fired. :-)