Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-17-2018, 7:13 AM

Default For you Married and LTR guys, does your Wife/SO like to shoot?

If the answer is "Yes", I am curious as to their background, i.e. grew up in a rural state, father had guns, etc.

If they didn't grow up with guns, how did they get into shooting?

My L.A. born and raised wife asked me to get a firearm for the house when our kids were born and doesn't "mind" that I now have over 10 in the safe, or my lifestyle of concealed carry. She tells me she feels extremely safe when she and the kids are with me.

She is very afraid of guns, however, even though I have explained the mechanics to her in detail and have taken her to the range a couple of times. I have offered to take her to a "ladies only" firearms instruction class, but she usually says she is too busy. She says she is not opposed to it, but pretty much stops there. Fortunately, now that we are in a more gun-friendly state, most of her new friends, moms of our kids' friends are CWP holders and carry. I am hoping her mom's group has a mom's night out at one of the local ranges. It seems like something they will eventually do.

I am hoping she will get a chance to shoot some .22 and will no longer be spooked by guns.

What about you guys, are your wives into it?
Old 02-17-2018, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoJack View Post
If the answer is "Yes", I am curious as to their background, i.e. grew up in a rural state, father had guns, etc.

My L.A. born and raised wife asked me to get a firearm for the house when our kids were born and doesn't "mind" that I now have over 10 in the safe, or my lifestyle of concealed carry. She tells me she feels extremely safe when she and the kids are with me.

She is very afraid of guns, however, even though I have explained the mechanics to her in detail and have taken her to the range a couple of times. I have offered to take her to a "ladies only" firearms instruction class, but she usually says she is too busy. She says she is not opposed to it, but pretty much stops there. Fortunately, now that we are in a more gun-friendly state, most of her new friends, moms of our kids' friends are CWP holders and carry. I am hoping her mom's group has a mom's night out at one of the local ranges. It seems like something they will eventually do.

I am hoping she will get a chance to shoot some .22 and will no longer be spooked by guns.

Mine is more into skeet and trap but also shoots her sp101 occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 7:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Wife's father shot competition so guns were not totally alien to her, but she had no real interest.

I was sent out of town on a overnight trip and she called me and said she was nervous spending the night in the house alone.

I reassured her and told her the 38 was loaded and in her sock drawer.

Her response was telling.

"You did that for me? Thanks I feel better"

I reminded her it had been years since she had shot a gun and that when I got back she needed to take a firearms safety class.

One year later she had her own CCW. Going on 6 years since that trip and she goes to Front Sight each year with me and if life keeps us away from the range for over 30 days she insists we schedule a range day.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Not mine.

I took her shooting once when we first got married and she shot all my 45 acp ammo! She liked it, but hasn't tried since.

With kids in the house one of us has to stay home so when I go shooting it's her, when she goes hiking I stay home. I suppose that when our youngest is old enough to stay home alone she'll likely come with me once in a while.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:53 AM

Old 02-17-2018, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Not mine.

I took her shooting once when we first got married and she shot all my 45 acp ammo! She liked it, but hasn't tried since.

With kids in the house one of us has to stay home so when I go shooting it's her, when she goes hiking I stay home. I suppose that when our youngest is old enough to stay home alone she'll likely come with me once in a while.
This pretty much sums up my experience.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:15 AM

Yes, mine does, comes to the range with me every time and really likes her trigger time. Likes the AR-15 because of the low recoil. She'd love to carry concealed, but unfortunately that is impossible unless Mitch McConnell pulls some magic or we move inland. Feel pretty lucky about this, especially as my idiot liberal ex has been posting the most moronic, vapid anti 2A stuff on Facebook and it takes all my self control not to troll her.

Never had shot before, but her mother and stepfather own guns and are conservative folks. Her father died when she was young, but he was a vet and a competitive shooter.

I have taken probably ten women to the range who had never shot before, both friends and girlfriends, explained basic safety and operation, put self defense caliber pistols in their hands, and let them go at it. Only one reacted that she was scared and didn't like it. Mind you, these are largely California coastal liberal women. So I think the trick is just encouraging lots of range time.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:19 AM

Mine is a real good natural shot but it isn't a passion for her. Has no problems with my involvement in shooting at all. She grew up in deer and bird hunting family.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:22 AM

Mine shoots. She fired a shotgun once when she was a kid. Almost knocked her down. I started shooting in various competitions and getting more guns. She had no interest for years but finally realized she should learn how to protect herself since we had the guns already.

We started going to the range and she decided to get accw, mainly so she could have it with her on trips. When she was through with her class she realized shooting in front of others put a little more stress into the situation and she said she wanted to shoot some competitions with me. She started shooting IDPA and USPSA.. Her gun handling skills and being comfortable with a gun have improved a lot. She changed her work schedule and babysits our grandkids before work for a couple of hours and that has cut down on her shooting lately. She still wants to go to the range when she has the time.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

My wife, who now claims no fewer than three pistols as her own, used to be deathly afraid of guns. Heer father is a nutjob and used to just stop on the side of the road just to pop off a few rounds., he was abusive both verbally and physically. Her step father was a cop and always left revolvers laying around the house. She was robbed twice at gunpoint whIle working at a bank.

Probably 10 years ago my family had a reunion at my parents place, where my dad dug a range backstop into the hill. She shot pistols for the first time and shoots with me at least once a month now.
Old 02-17-2018, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Wife go's almost every time to range.

Like "SM" above, she is a natural & will shoot anything with in reason.

Packs 1911
Old 02-17-2018, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

It's not for everyone. Maybe she knows she has limitations with dexterity, respect her cautiousness.
Imagine if you rode motorcycles, maybe she doesn't ride but likes to be a passenger. I've seen plenty of people learn the hard lesson of the idea of something vs. the reality of it.
Good luck, and having someone else break her in may actually be better for you both.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:24 AM

Here's a link to a recent article from Shooting Sports USA with a brief bio of 50 women into competition shooting. If you scan through their bio's there are some common threads - many lived in more rural areas and dad took them shooting. Don't see any that grew up in NYC or SF with a single mom parent.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/...tive-shooting/
Old 02-17-2018, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
Mine is a real good natural shot but it isn't a passion for her. Has no problems with my involvement in shooting at all. She grew up in deer and bird hunting family.
This about sums up my wife. When she does go shooting with me she has a great time. She hates recoil so she limits herself to .22s and the M1 carbine. Her main complaint with shooting is the dirty environment.

As a side note, when she was younger and quite the babe, she hated going to gun shops to buy me things because of the ogling she got from the men who would then not wait on her. And we wonder why women don't like going into gun shops.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 02-17-2018, 9:38 AM
His Glorious Reappearing
CGN Contributor

You've done a lot to expose her to gun environment and you saw her reaction. The more you push the more she resist. Let her be and just let nature take its course. If she comes around, it will happen in her own time.

My wife grew up in a non-gun family. 10 years later (after we got married), we were having a conversation about home break-ins and bad guys doing bad things to home owners.

I asked her of what she thinks about owning firearms for HD as I explained that she or I have a better chance of defending ourselves against "Bigger and Meaner" attackers and much to my surprise, she agreed wholeheartedly.

She now enjoys shooting her P226 and AR.
Heb 9:27 "And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgement."

******* Consider your final destiny, there is no second chance there. *******

Last edited by Barang; 04-23-2018 at 5:15 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 9:43 AM

My now wife loved to shoot a lot more during our first few years together. We’ve both scaled back our shooting time quite a bit. Especially now with a kid on the way in July.

Now I just roll solo or with my shooting buddies.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post
Not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinFan View Post
This pretty much sums up my experience.
Ask them nicely if they have given any thought to how they would protect the kids if something happened when she and the kids are home alone. Then walk away and let it be.

You might be surprised what she ask you a few days later.

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 02-17-2018, 9:45 AM
CGN Contributor

My wife decided we should go to her Dads 640 acre ranch in Oregon and shoot ground squirrels for our honey moon. Does that answer your question?

She also shoots Trap league, rifle and pistol. She has one flaw though.

when I bring home a new gun. She wants to see it and if she really likes it. She claims it as hers and I am SOL. I DO NOT let her shoot or touch my Colt 1911 collection. I cannot afford her to like them.

She is a city girl raised in Valencia, Ca. Her Dad was a reserve LASD and hunter although he never took her hunting and shooting only twice. It was her idea to move to Kern County so she could get a CCW.

She also likes camping and four wheeling. I really am a lucky guy.

Here I am.

Last edited by cannon; 02-17-2018 at 9:54 AM..
Old 02-17-2018, 10:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My Wife loves it and is a natural too. But it seems to run in her family as well. All her Sisters and Brothers (11 kids total) are fairly proficient with a pistol or rifle even when they don't go to the range on a regular basis.

The one exception is one Sister who is a retired Marine.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Just ordered a Burris mount and Fastfire III for my wife's Springfield 9mm 1911 loadeded model.

XL-650 to feed the .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield 9MM loaded.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"
Old 02-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

My wife likes Perazzis (and has two of her own), so be careful what you wish for.

She shot ATA trap for years, has been a coach of our club's SCTP group, and is an NRA certified instructor in shotgun.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old 02-17-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
Ask them nicely if they have given any thought to how they would protect the kids if something happened when she and the kids are home alone. Then walk away and let it be.

Had that conversation, she has issues racking the slide on semi auto's, likes revolvers but the 442 & 642 have too much recoil for her, the 4" 686+ doesn't fit in the nightstand, so I recently bought a 640 pro added CTC Laser grips and loaded it with 38 Special low recoil ammo.

IF she needs to use it she knows how to, but she's not an avid shooter.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

She was petrified of guns when I met her, had never even considered shooting one. Now she's been to several classes and has her CCW. She owns three SIGs, 232, 238 and a skeeter, an H&K VP9, and a Kimber 1911.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:28 AM

My wife was raised in So Cal. Her dad 5 guns and would go hunting when she was little but never took the family shooting. I took her shooting first time when she was 19. We then taught all her siblings to shoot. When she turned 21 I bought her a .357 revolver and it's still her go to gun 30 years later.

She's doesn't like the feel of ARs or AKs but likes the Garand and loves to shoot.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 AM

She was born and raised liberal in big city. Now she's fine and has a few firearms of her own. But she usually just tells me or the kids to 'just shoot the damned thing' when something needs to be shot.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM

My wife shoots with me about half the time I go to the range.
She grew up in the Philippines and moved here in her 20's. On our 2nd date, I took her with me to pick up a Mini30 I had in jail and she didn't freak out so I figured it might just work out after all. haha
She didn't get interested into shooting until our daughter was born, she wanted to be able to protect the both of them if I was at work and something happened. Now she has her own guns.

Democrats screw poor people in the a** while whispering into their ear that they are trying to help them. - unknown
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 AM

I took my GF shooting, and she loved it. She said she felt "empowered".
Scroll forward a few years. We brokeup, and during that time she got an XD9 and her CCW.
We're back together again, and go shooting whenever her schedule permits.
Old 02-17-2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post

I've done this. She said we have a dog and an alarm. She knows the police, if summoned will be responding to something that will most likely be over and done with either way. We've had an attempted home invasion that I stopped when we lived in California, but she wasn't at home when it happened.

She grew up in a bad neighborhood with a single mother, but apartments don't generally get broken into like houses do.

I'm from the Midwest, rural suburbs where deer rifles were kept in glass cases on the wall in every room. One of my older siblings who still lives there is a die hard leftist, the other is about as conservative and pro-gun as I am, though I'm a latecomer and they have been for their entire life.

Last edited by PogoJack; 02-17-2018 at 1:14 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I took my GF shooting, and she loved it. She said she felt "empowered".
Scroll forward a few years. We brokeup, and during that time she got an XD9 and her CCW.
We're back together again, and go shooting whenever her schedule permits.
The slides on those are really stiff. Was she just naturally strong enough to rack it or did she have to work her way up to it?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 2:15 PM

Hmm my wife, never shot a gun. I took her to the range and she liked it. Took her out to the desert and she enjoyed that a lot. We go often now. Wanted her own gun and ended up with an hk she liked. She couldn't reach the slide. I put grip tape on the slide, and told her grip the slide and push the pistol grip forward. So now instead of pulling the slide, she pushed the gun while holding the slide and that works for her. Her background was a home with no guns in East Los Angeles. Now has her safe on her nightstand. She also loves her AR 15 I have her for Christmas. Her family with the exception of one brother that went shooting with his friends, thinks we are nuts.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:

Yes, and she has her own .357, Remington 870, and Mini-14.
Old 02-17-2018, 2:46 PM

Yup, the Mrs loves shooting.
She has her own G17, and AR.
She has taken tons of handgun classes and is more competent than most men shooters.
She'll shoot anything you put in front of her.

She was raised around guns but not shooting them.
She was scared of them but interested when I met her.
Now if I open the safe she comes running. Whatcha doing?
If I bring home a new gun, I get "how awesome". Not how much......
Pretty lucky guy......
Old 02-17-2018, 2:56 PM

Wife had an abusive step father. The guy was a coward piece of chit. Learned pretty fast the cops arenít going to protect you when they called 911 one night he was chimped out and it took them an hour to arrive. She has low level PTSD from dealing with his chimp outs for so many years.

She knows the feeling of being defenseless to someone who is stronger and larger than her.

Me, I have always suspicious of governments and authority in general, so when we met it was like, we should get into guns. The rest is history.
Old 02-17-2018, 3:22 PM

Yes.
Her Dad hunts and target shoots. Her Dads best friend was a Deputy and inspired Her to get into law enforcement.
I'll get texts with a pic of the latest gun she's bought.
We're going to have to get her her own safe.
She shoots everything we have but her favorite is her .357 Henry Big Boy (custom engraved). Her next planned purchase is a Cimmeron .357 to compliment her Henry. I'm trying to steer her towards the Ruger Vaquero.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
The slides on those are really stiff. Was she just naturally strong enough to rack it or did she have to work her way up to it?

Initially, according to her, she had difficulty. But for the past year she's at the gym 4 days a week. So, she's able to handle it much better now.
Old 02-17-2018, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Wife grew up on a farm

Loves to shoot. Has a few guns of her own. In the process of building her a AR.
Old 02-17-2018, 6:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Girlfriend loves to shoot! My family is mostly pro gun....hers on the other hand won’t even allow the kids to have a squirt gun it’s really sad. I can’t even mention Guns when I’m on their turf without it turning into a mess. Her family is pretty awesome other than that! My family on the other hand loves guns and I’m thankful my girlfriend does too and wasn’t brainwashed by her family. She believes in having the ability to protect oneself and to have a kick *** time at the range. She’s now getting into rifles we built her an AR for her birthday...thumbs up to all the ladies who love to hit the range.
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 02-17-2018, 6:49 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My wife wanted to learn how to shoot ... about 5 years ago when she was 57 I taught her how, she never fired a gun before.

I used to take her rattlesnake hunting too, she was afraid of them too. Now she knows rattlesnakes are chill.

But now when I go shootin, or rattlesnaking ... she rather just stay home and cook me some good dinner for when I get home
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

................CLICK IMAGE for full size
Old 02-17-2018, 7:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wife likes to shoot. She owns a couple of guns. Her ancestors are Wyoming stock. Both our families are full of cops and military.
Old 02-17-2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:

Ok, I'm glad somebody brought this up. My wife was trying out my new MP Shield and had trouble racking the slide. I can't figure out if this is a problem with her technique (and what she should do to fix it) or whether it's just inherent to the Shield (I think the slide is vaguely stiff, but nothing I would ever really think twice about.) If it's inherent to the Shield, what's a compact 9mm with an easy-to-work slide?