Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 04-22-2018, 8:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Want to buy subforum= want to low-ball? Want a deal?

In the spirit of my last thread addressing marketplace issues I thought I'd start this one. Not the same tired old gouging threads about off roster premiums and such.

I haven't had any success with posting WTB but I have responded to some and been helpful to others. Some have went smoothly. I recently sold a rifle to someone who did a WTB here with no problems. Just for good karma a few times I have given people leads.

However usually when I do respond it ends up being want to low-ball. I've added people to ignore list over it, gets tiring. One guy posted WTB for a type of grip that is no longer in production.

They generally will SELL for $100-120 on eBay when available I offered him the grips for like a bit under $100 shipped I believe. This genius offered me $50 and when I told him about the actual current SALE prices he got passive agressive and was acting like a Mitch.

"Go sell them on eBay then, good luck, blah blah, gouging, blah blah." I took his advice and sold them all on eBay for $100-120 plus shipping at auctions, had 3 sets. Self correcting problem.

Funny thing is this guy gouges all his stuff when attempting to sell with 2 pages of bumps and nobody generally buys.

I think people that post WTB if wanting to pay less than market value probably should consider stating so in their post to not waste people's time.

I actually stopped giving leads to certain friends and acquaintances anymore on gun deals I find. I am constantly in gun shops and shows throughout SoCal and find a lot of off roster and good deal guns. Problem is these "friends" still whine. They want the gun for pennies on the dollar at a gun shop next door to their house so I don't bother anymore with some people.

Some friends are more realistic and understand the dynamics of acquiring guns in CA and appreciate the leads and take advantage of them when they can.
Old 04-22-2018, 8:39 AM

^^^ it's a given WTB posts are by cheapskates looking for low ball deals.

motivated buyers don't place WTB, they find the stuff.
Old 04-22-2018, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post

I agree mostly but WTB can be good for finding hard to find stuff always good to have multiple options. But hasn't worked for me personally.
Old 04-22-2018, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Buy low, sell high. Human nature.

Some people can't help but be irritating. Ignore them, move on.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 04-22-2018, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Funny.

I've purchased many items based on WTB ads and have always been offered a reasonable price for which I've always paid.

No low balls, etc.

It's the yahoos that just joined the forum, or have 0 feedback, that send the low ball offers on items I have listed for sale.

Maybe you should just stop posting in the WTB? Works for the rest of us.
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 04-22-2018, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

The problem is that CA is taking all your coin to pay for illegals and the rest of the bums that would rather live off the government tit than work for a living. All you're left with is pennies
Old 04-22-2018, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Ignore the low-ball offers, and don't spend a moment on them.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I for the most part find what I’m looking for and don’t mind paying for it for the going market rate...That being said I’ve posted WTB ads in the past for items you don’t see everyday and only pop up on occasion...I fully intend on paying what the current market value is if it’s off roster or not I will pay full value and am prepared to do so. When I post an add I want it and will pay what others have recently sold for and have examples usually at the ready. In the end if we make a deal great if not the ad remains. I don’t like to lowball anyone for anything it’s simple economics supply and demand the price will reflect for any materialistic item. In your case I wouldn’t even give the guy the time of day and be done with it. There’s always that knucklehead you will run across this state just happens to have more than the average that’s why we are in this predicament. Don’t waste your time with low ballers just move on and don’t give them the satisfaction or time of day with a response.
CGN CONTRIBUTOR

Last edited by The Shootist; 04-22-2018 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Damn autocorrect
Old 04-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Several weeks ago, I placed a WTB post for a Ruger.

Time went by, no response.

Then suddenly, the gun appeared in the classifieds for sale.

As I was PM ing the seller, he was PM ing me advising he had the gun for sale.

We got together, agreed on a price (a little less than his asking price BTW) & did the PPT the next day. Both parties were happy with the deal.

I consider a "WTB" a long shot but you never know. You gotta get in the batter's box if you want to get on base.
Old 04-22-2018, 1:05 PM
Calguns Addict

I think would help if people putting a WTB would sometimes put a price range they are willing to pay so those that have the items don't waste their time if unrealistic low-ball price.

Another genius did a WTB on a harder to find grip that I know I have but would require me to dig in my storage for it. Being as I was wary of the typical WTB poster wanting to offer me 2 pennies and a pack of bubble gum for it I asked him a ballpark price range he was willing to pay before I looked.

He made multiple posts crying about that and attacking me about how I'm not a "real" seller. Not my first rodeo, didn't bother looking for grip, added him to ignore, self correcting problem again.

When someone won't respond at all to a PM asking ballpark price range they want to pay for a gun they have on a WTB post I usually suspect would have been a silly low-ball attempt too and I don't bother digging the gun out of a safe.
Old 04-22-2018, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I think would help if people putting a WTB would sometimes put a price range they are willing to pay so those that have the items don't waste their time if unrealistic low-ball price.

Another genius did a WTB on a harder to find grip that I know I have but would require me to dig in my storage for it. Being as I was wary of the typical WTB poster wanting to offer me 2 pennies and a pack of bubble gum for it I asked him a ballpark price range he was willing to pay before I looked.

He made multiple posts crying about that and attacking me about how I'm not a "real" seller. Not my first rodeo, didn't bother looking for grip, added him to ignore, self correcting problem again.

When someone won't respond at all to a PM asking ballpark price range they want to pay for a gun they have on a WTB post I usually suspect would have been a silly low-ball attempt too and I don't bother digging the gun out of a safe.
You know how you avoid all that back and forth stuff? How about being a little more black and white and just stating an asking price rather than asking what someone's price range is?

If someone doesn't like your offer, they'll decline. When you inquire as to what one wants to pay, naturally they'll tell you they want to pay as little as possible. You open up a can of worms doing that
my gun shoots better with shiny brass...plus not only does the shiny brass make me look like a pimp at the range if the sun catches it just right it blinds the guy next to me which improves my odds of winning the match.
Old 04-22-2018, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Buy low, sell high, and complain extensively about the price. Human nature.

Some people can't help but be irritating. Ignore them, move on.

Fixed it for you.

Fighter Pilot
Old 04-22-2018, 3:11 PM

Iíd say that is a generality. Iíve used the WTB when I was looking for something very specific, and had success. I also had a realistic idea of what Iíd be willing to spend.

Quote:

Old 04-22-2018, 3:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The people who post wtb and don’t list a price range are worthless ads to me

ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson

ó is it me, or should the NRA be fighting for firearm education & fighting bad gun laws, not fighting and emailing over coolers?
Old 04-23-2018, 8:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

"As Ye Shall Seek, Ye Shall Find".
Old 04-23-2018, 9:11 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I posted a couple of WTB ads and experienced the opposite issue. I wanted to buy a S&W pre-lock snubby and I had guys offering me $700 guns for $2K. On the other side just like you're saying OP, I have responded to one or two WTB ads for fairly generic guns like a Glock 34 with a fair price and I was met with endless requests for more pictures and he asked if I had a "kept a log" of the rounds I shot through it. Yeah, I got a log for ya' a-hole.

Now I just ignore the WTB section, a complete waste of time in my experience.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 04-23-2018, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

I have had success with posting WTB ads. But I think one of the key problems is determining THE fair market value for the item.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Posting a range of prices you'd be willing to pay is a good way to guarantee the seller will come up with a price slightly over your maximum and 'negotiate' down to your max price.

You're selling it, you set the price. Imagine if every store you walked into worked the way you do?

I posted a WTB add. Never heard from anyone. I eventually found what I was looking for 6 years later in a local shop.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 AM

Not all WTB posters are turds. I've had some great luck buying in there when it's not convenient to constantly search for x,y,z day in, day out.

WTB: Colt Detective Special, AMT Hardballer, all-INOX Beretta 92FS, Tikka T3 Sporter, pre-64 Winchester Model 70, HK MP5-A5 22LR

Cashback options for your Brownells, Cabelas, eBay, Amazon purchases..
Ebates Referral - $10 for you and $10 for me.
Active Junky (AJ) Referral - $10 for you and $10 for me.
Swagbucks too!
Old 04-23-2018, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I posted a couple of WTB ads and experienced the opposite issue. I wanted to buy a S&W pre-lock snubby and I had guys offering me $700 guns for $2K. On the other side just like you're saying OP, I have responded to one or two WTB ads for fairly generic guns like a Glock 34 with a fair price and I was met with endless requests for more pictures and he asked if I had a "kept a log" of the rounds I shot through it. Yeah, I got a log for ya' a-hole.

This has been my experience. I get replies from random scammers or mega cheapskates that havenít been able to move a gun with a years worth of bumps looking for a sucker. The people that fairly price guns donít need to look in the WTB ahead of time because fairly priced guns sell themselves.

If I was looking for something super obscure I might throw a post.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger945 View Post
I have had success with posting WTB ads. But I think one of the key problems is determining THE fair market value for the item.
In my cases wasn't hard at all. There was a SELLING price range not asking price easily verified on eBay and probably GunBroker too. WTB poster was just a turd trying to scam me and looking to pay half of going rate.

I offered the item at a bit under usual eBay price and free shipping to boot. I really enjoyed selling them all on eBay some for more than I thought I'd get even with fees.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:55 PM
Ball Pimp 4 Border Collie
CGN Contributor

I've posted some wtb ads and got what I considered unusually low offers from SELLERS. Like a sw 41 mint with two barrels for $650.00?!!?! That's insane

Or a nib DE for $900.00 with 4 mags and two hundred rounds of 44.

After I bought the guns I asked why they sold me the gun below market. It's always the same answer. They didn't want to go through the hassle you get listing a gun on calguns.

Fair enough. Sure I have had some guys hit me with hugely excessive sell prices but for the most part most people are reasonable.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Posting a range of prices you'd be willing to pay is a good way to guarantee the seller will come up with a price slightly over your maximum and 'negotiate' down to your max price.

You're selling it, you set the price. Imagine if every store you walked into worked the way you do?

I posted a WTB add. Never heard from anyone. I eventually found what I was looking for 6 years later in a local shop.
In my case sometimes this isn't 100% valid due to the scarcity of the item. Pay the price which I usually agree to from from selling prices on eBay and Gunbroker or do without. This does not apply to off roster guns though there I use the CGN marketplace as a guide as well.

Buying a rare out of production item has different dynamics from selling an easily available in production item.

I was just trying to filter out some of the lowballers but I can see your point.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
I've posted some wtb ads and got what I considered unusually low offers from SELLERS. Like a sw 41 mint with two barrels for $650.00?!!?! That's insane

Or a nib DE for $900.00 with 4 mags and two hundred rounds of 44.

After I bought the guns I asked why they sold me the gun below market. It's always the same answer. They didn't want to go through the hassle you get listing a gun on calguns.

Fair enough. Sure I have had some guys hit me with hugely excessive sell prices but for the most part most people are reasonable.
I wish I had that problem. I am good at finding what I want without WTB pists though so I don't use it much and hasn't worked for me. I have had success selling an item here and there.
Old 04-23-2018, 6:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

It has been in my experiences that people that ask piles of questions and ask for piles of pics are usually just playing games. I don't know what they get out of doing so if not serious buyers.

Round count questions are funny especially as many guns I sell I purchased used to begin with and I have no idea.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:22 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
It has been in my experiences that people that ask piles of questions and ask for piles of pics are usually just playing games. I don't know what they get out of doing so if not serious buyers.

Round count questions are funny especially as many guns I sell I purchased used to begin with and I have no idea.
Yep. I agree with all of that...

The guy that asked me if I kept a log on the G34, I about spit my coffee out laughing when I realized he was serious. I offered him a like new Gen 4 G34 in factory FDE for $900 when they were selling like hotcakes for $900-1000 after the SSE loopholes closed. I also offered to drive up to 60 miles. I thought I was being totally fair and I would have accepted a $850 counter offer or even $800 if I didn't have to drive. I told him truthfully that I had shot 200-300 rounds of brass case FMJ through it and there was little or no wear evident and that's the "log". I still have the gun in my safe with the same round count, whatever it is. I wasn't trying to sell it anyway.

Old 04-23-2018, 7:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yep. I agree with all of that...

The guy that asked me if I kept a log on the G34, I about spit my coffee out laughing when I realized he was serious. I offered him a like new Gen 4 G34 in factory FDE for $900 when they were selling like hotcakes for $900-1000 after the SSE loopholes closed. I also offered to drive up to 60 miles. I thought I was being totally fair and I would have accepted a $850 counter offer or even $800 if I didn't have to drive. I told him truthfully that I had shot 200-300 rounds of brass case FMJ through it and there was little or no wear evident and that's the "log". I still have the gun in my safe with the same round count, whatever it is. I wasn't trying to sell it anyway.
Do you have pics? Iíll give you 600$.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:29 PM
Calguns Addict

I actually did know a guy that kept a log of his rounds through a Beretta 96. I find that to be very rare though especially with a non reloader like him. He may have been the only one I've met that wasn't a reloader or in to some sorts of competition shooting.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:31 PM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I donít know if that is always true. Iíve bought my last two guns with a WTB

Marlin 1894 .357 JM barrel. Seller pmíd a price and I said yes.
Glock G19 Gen 4 also said yes.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 04-23-2018, 7:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
Do you have pics? I’ll give you 600$.
Only for you buddy.

Quote:
I actually did know a guy that kept a log of his rounds through a Beretta 96. I find that to be very rare though especially with a non reloader like him. He may have been the only one I've met that wasn't a reloader or in to some sorts of competition shooting.
I've known long range shooters and reloaders to do it for sure... But 300 rounds through a Glock? Ehhhhh not me. Anyone that nutty about a Glock is going to change the barrel anyway right?

Old 04-23-2018, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey I've posted in WTB.

I'm willing to pay a fair price, that could include over market $ for certain firearms, (not all) but that isn't how it works here most times.

When one or more person's wants double (or more) what a fair market is, you can't help get the feeling your being set up as a chump (sucker).

They say one is born every day, so they say, but I will not comply to be one myself.
Old 04-23-2018, 8:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Only for you buddy.

SPF!
Old 04-23-2018, 8:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by calif 15-22 View Post
I donít know if that is always true. Iíve bought my last two guns with a WTB

Marlin 1894 .357 JM barrel. Seller pmíd a price and I said yes.
Glock G19 Gen 4 also said yes.
Did you have to pay around normal CGN selling prices for these guns? Or did you get lucky like Bubbapug?
Old 04-24-2018, 4:56 AM

I think post count has something to do with it. People who’ve been on CG for awhile know what to expect. While newbs prob tend to think they’re going to get the deal of the century

Old 04-24-2018, 6:12 AM

CGN is too broad a forum to have a good WTB section, too many users with too many interests.

The WTB section on the the M14 Forum works well, itís very specific, itís mostly just M14 and M1A parts, and they make you put a minimum price youíll pay and guys there know their M14 parts and what they realistically sell for, itís a tight community and low ballers are ignored.

I just helped a guy on there who posted in the WTB section looking for a NOS USGI National Match hooded aperture and posted a fair price he was willing to pay, I have several 1980ís sub-contractor production USGI NIW hooded apertures that met his price but I also have Springfield Armory USGI NIW oneís from 1962 for about 30% more than the late sub-contractor apertures I have, he ended up buying a Springfield Armory one.

Mac

http://i68.tinypic.com/a45y0h.jpg