Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 06-17-2016, 8:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Default My opportunity to educate others on gun safety/preps...

I have an opportunity to educate/train a group of 6-7 women this next week and the consensus view from their group is that it is time to gear up and get some basic firearms training. With all of the current events that are happening in the U.S. these women have taken it upon themselves to do something about their safety. Good call on their part.

Since we will be going over basic firearms safety training at first I plan to suggest some other things they can do to endure an extended outage/shortage du jour while in their homes.

I have some good talking points all ready in the can but I saw this article written by a common sense/smart woman and plan to share this as well.
http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/25-p...about-06152016
I think this is a damn good article that can get them thinking about the "what if?".

Taking the opportunity to educate people that are new to guns/preps/survival has always been something I enjoy doing and I really want to encourage you folks to reach out when the opportunity arises. If someone asks you for some direction on how to get started then get them started. If you can't do it then point them to someone that can.

I'll update this thread after the session next week.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-17-2016, 8:36 AM
Veteran Member

I think it's a great idea, if done "tastefully". Good luck and looking forward to the update
Old 06-22-2016, 9:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Alrighty then, here's the update.

We had a great session yesterday. Only 1 no show and the age range was 50 to 78 years. 7 women and 1 brought her brother too. They were a great group to be around.
Went over safety (4 golden rules) and revolver/pistol operations with each person with lots of repetition.
Once everyone was confident in safely handling the guns we went out back to try some live fire. (BTW we were using 38spcl and 9mm)
*Nobody dropped their guns! (I've seen it done so...)
The best shot was the 78 yo woman. Her hands were weak and she had some difficulty manipulating the hammer on the revolver but we found a way she could do it safely.
7 yds was an 8/10 on target.
Everybody was having a great time but when it came time to shoot they were all business. Great group!
We have scheduled another shoot for next month.

Now the prepper conversations started afterwards when we were discussing why they were looking to eventually get their LTC. Great segue right?
As a group they spoke about what they would do if things got hairy with regards to the economy, power grid, medical aid, personal safety for family etc..
This is when I began to ask them about their "camping equipment". "camping equipment" is my code for preps. Since all "preppers are nut cases". Right? Campers are all level headed types.
None had sleeping bags, portable stoves, FAK beyond band aids etc.. or water filters.
Then the questions started coming in faster than I could answer them.
Fertile ground for planting "camping equipment" seeds for further discussion.
They need a LTC for added personal protection and nothing but a little cash for getting started in prepping for emergency du jour.
Needless to say this was a great time and discussion for survival.
More will be said next time and I'll have more prepared info to give them direction.

If anybody reading this has an opportunity to teach someone else a skill I suggest you find the time to do it. Prepare the environment/setting well and bring your best "A game".
Helping someone to help themselves will get you motivated to keep on prepping. Look at it as a warm up if the worst should ever actually happen.
Creating a network of skilled people one group or person at a time. That's just a possible bi product of doing this.
Carry on and good luck people!
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 06-22-2016, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

There is a guy I know that runs an awesome training CCW program . The woman taking the class love it. I sometimes watch the class from a distance when shooting. The women have way too much fun taking the classes and pick up the shooting like a strong magnet picks up iron shavings. The women are most impressive learners. But then the women doing the classes aren't the bimbo woman they are the awesome ones.

Last edited by Sunday; 06-22-2016 at 6:46 PM..