Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-09-2019, 6:29 PM

Default How are the new remington 700/ Model 7's?

Looking a compact/ lighter-weight hunting rifle for the typical a-zone type game, thinking along the lines of a .243 in a remington model 7 or 700 as I have had some before and enjoy the caliber and it is common and versatile for the kind of hunting and depredation I do.

curious if Remington has stepped up there quality at all? I know they had a bad rap for a time, but I have been out of the new gun loop for a year or two.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 04-09-2019, 6:47 PM

I bought a Remington 700 .223 from Walmart a year to year and 1/2 ago and other than the scope that came with it was a cheapo the rifle is good. No problems what so ever. I think I paid something like 372 or so dollars for this package rifle. Yep, I would buy another just like it if I needed another one. HTH
elk hunter
Old 04-09-2019, 7:21 PM

I just bought a new 700 adl in 7 mm mag last month. It isn't as refined as my 700 from the 80's, but still a very accurate rifle. I have done quite a few mods to it trigger,stock,DBM and brake. It is going to be hunting rifle for the most part.

I wanted to do a 700 so i wouldn't touch my old 700, if that makes since.

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 04-10-2019, 6:22 AM

They’re still good guns. Most of the hype comes from guys that just want to hop on the bandwagon.
Old 04-10-2019, 8:01 AM

Nothing to add about Remingtons, but I love my Tikka T3 Lite in .243. Very accurate and good to go out of the box with a great trigger. Very light, too.
Old 04-10-2019, 8:50 AM

Shot a M700 for decades.

Great rifle.

Just got a new FN M70 EW/SS.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 04-12-2019, 1:46 AM

I have a Remington 700 CDL great rifle
Old 04-12-2019, 4:29 AM

I have a 700 SPS in .223, it'll drive tacks for sure.
ďSince the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpationĒ - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 04-12-2019, 7:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Corrent (post 2003 to 2006 or so when they went to CNC machines) 700's are better made but not as nicely finished (no more hand polishing) than prior guns.
All the stuff you hear about the quality going downhill on remingtons is usually from people complaining that they don't have the level of finish of the earlier guns.
The current guns are straighter and squarer and mechanically superior to the older rifles.
Less hand finishing means they are more consistent but not as pretty.
The less expensive SPS finish is more likely to rust if not oiled.
The SPS finish eliminates hand polishing and replaces it with sandblasting which is much less hand work, thereby reducing costs.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-12-2019, 7:56 PM

There are many companies that have a much better record as far as quality control goes. Ruger, Savage, Winchester, and Tikka have much, much better reputations around a similar price point. So why take a gamble on a company with QC issues who is also known to cut corners? It really doesn’t make sense to me why people want to support that. The internet is filled with reports of unsatisfied customers and pictures of poor QC. Hell, there’s so many reports of brand new rusted 870’s that it’s unbelievable.

Spend your money on a better product and supporting a better company.
Old 04-12-2019, 8:26 PM

Oil prevents rust, sorta simple.
Old 04-12-2019, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

They are good. I have a pretty new SPS 223 shorty that shoots very well.

But for a hunting rifle you should really look at a Tikka.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Tikka

may as well get a Remington 783 or Ruger American.
Old 04-13-2019, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Oil prevents rust, sorta simple.
Itís almost like itís 2019 and there is all sorts of great weather resistant finishes that companyís use that donít require an oiling every time a shooter or hunter is near water.

Remington is cheap as **** with their finishes. Some people go hunting for days at a time and donít want to oil their rifle twice a day.
Old 04-13-2019, 7:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak18 View Post
Itís almost like itís 2019 and there is all sorts of great weather resistant finishes that companyís use that donít require an oiling every time a shooter or hunter is near water.

Remington is cheap as **** with their finishes. Some people go hunting for days at a time and donít want to oil their rifle twice a day.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ynthetic+brown

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...olt+action+rif

Look at the finish on these.
Old 04-13-2019, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

I trust Remington, just put a Model 7 Predator on lay a way at Buds. Floor plate magnum contour barrel, dipped in Mossy Oak brush .223 $441. Support Remington. A2
Old 04-13-2019, 7:58 AM

Sure, stainless would be the way to go if buying a decently priced Remington. But should you have to pay a premium to get a non-stainless Remington that isnít a risk to rust abnormally easy? Hell, you can buy a Ruger American for $300 that doesnít have well known issues with rust.
Old 04-13-2019, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Sure, stainless would be the way to go if buying a decently priced Remington. But should you have to pay a premium to get a non-stainless Remington that isnít a risk to rust abnormally easy? Hell, you can buy a Ruger American for $300 that doesnít have well known issues with rust.
My cheap Remington 783 hasn't rusted, but I wiped it down with oil when I got it. It is just the way it is with certain types of metal and finishes, you have to use oil. Same with blued Savage, Ruger or whatever, if you don't use oil your rifle will rust.

You sound like the type guy that would get a military rifle with parkerized finish then blame the finish for rusting because you did not oil it. Think of all the parkerized rifles like M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, etc... that were carried out in wet nasty conditions for days, weeks, months, without rusting, they used oil on them.
Old 04-13-2019, 8:20 AM
Veteran Member

Fit and Finish probably not gonna be close to what it was back in the day. But they are fine rifles.
Old 04-13-2019, 8:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
Fit and Finish probably not gonna be close to what it was back in the day. But they are fine rifles.
Machining is better on current guns.
Fit is a matter of clearances which are slightly tighter due to the more consistent machining on current guns.
Finish is worse unless you go with a polished and blued model then the finish is similar to the past.
The polished and blued models are the top of the line ones now instead of the standard.
Since most people are buying the cheapest finish level models (which did not exist at all back in the day), people complain about them not being as nice.

It's like if you drove high trim Toyota's all your life and then stepped down to a Scion and complained that it does not have power seats, door locks and mirrors.
You just saved 30%.
Where do you think that savings comes from?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-13-2019, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
My cheap Remington 783 hasn't rusted, but I wiped it down with oil when I got it. It is just the way it is with certain types of metal and finishes, you have to use oil. Same with blued Savage, Ruger or whatever, if you don't use oil your rifle will rust.

You sound like the type guy that would get a military rifle with parkerized finish then blame the finish for rusting because you did not oil it. Think of all the parkerized rifles like M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, etc... that were carried out in wet nasty conditions for days, weeks, months, without rusting, they used oil on them.
I oil the finish on my rifles when I clean them and if I take them into a wet environment. I’m just not the type of person who is going to buy from a has-been company because of their name and the price. The finish issues on Remington firearms is well documented. It’s not some made up conspiracy. I’ll buy rifles that won’t rust in the safe. You sound like the typical new Remington owner who will defend their purchase to their death, despite the overwhelming evidence of poor quality control and unhappy customers.

Last edited by oak18; 04-13-2019 at 9:06 AM..
Old 04-13-2019, 9:05 AM

Quote:

I have no sympathy for anyone that's to ignorant and lazy to oil their rifles, "they" let them rust Remington didn't design/engineer or plan for a lazy proof finish.
Old 04-13-2019, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I oil the finish on my rifles when I clean them and if I take them into a wet environment. I’m just not the type of person who is going to buy from a has-been company because of their name and the price. The finish issues on Remington firearms is well documented. It’s not some made up conspiracy. I’ll buy rifles that won’t rust in the safe. You sound like the typical new Remington owner who will defend their purchase to their death, despite the overwhelming evidence of poor quality control and unhappy customers.
Well documented by people that don't oil their rifles most likely.

I'm not a typical new Remington owner lol. I've owned Remington rifles for over 40 years and Savage, Winchester and Ruger rifles for over 35 years.

Last edited by TMB 1; 04-13-2019 at 9:14 AM..
Old 04-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I have no sympathy for anyone that's to ignorant and lazy to oil their rifles, "they" let them rust Remington didn't design/engineer or plan for a lazy proof finish.
Thatís fair. But why do we not hear this staggering amount of complaints from owners of Rugers or Savages? Why is it just Remington? Do they just attract lazy gun owners?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Well documented by people that don't oil their rifles most likely.

I'm not a typical new Remington owner lol. I've owned Remington rifles for over 40 years and Savage, Winchester and Ruger rifles for over 35 years.
I wasnít inferring that you just got your first Remington or that youíre a new gun owner. Just that youíre in possession of a new production Remington. But like my reply to another member, why is there not a staggering amount of complaints and reports from Ruger, Savage, Winchester or Tikka owners regarding rust? I never see complaints of people with those rifles regarding rust issues. Does Remington attract lazy gun owners or is the gun itself share some blame as well?
Old 04-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Also, can one of you guys address the insane amount of reports online of new 870’s that are rusted out of the box? From gun shop owners and those who purchased the shotguns? They had a mega-thread on Reddit a while back of dozens upon dozens of people who received brand new 870’s that were rusted. It’s all over different forums. Is that the gun owners/ gun shop owners fault as well? Or is the widely used term “Rustington” a conspiracy started by lazy gun owners?

Of all the gun forums I frequent, this is the only one where people defend that company tooth and nail.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Thatís fair. But why do we not hear this staggering amount of complaints from owners of Rugers or Savages? Why is it just Remington? Do they just attract lazy gun owners?
If you don't do the maintenance on your vehicle when it needs it is it not the same as your rifle? don't do it and there is a bad outcome. Why people today have the mindset of no maint. is a mystery to me but what your seeing is that very thing. Take it to the bank, the other gun company's have their set of problems just as Remington has or anyone else for that matter. Until people change you will continue to see this after all it is a "throw away society" is it not.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:49 AM

I have a 700/ model 7 in .223 , a laminate stock model. I mounted a Nikon scope and nylon sling on it. The rifle shoots as great as it looks. It is a handy lite compact rifle. I haven't hunted with it yet but target shooting is a blast. My main hunting rifle is a 7mm Remington mag 700. So this lite recoil rifle is also a great rifle to train new shooters with. The action is smooth with a nice trigger pull. It is a rifle that will be handed down to my kids.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
If you don't do the maintenance on your vehicle when it needs it is it not the same as your rifle? don't do it and there is a bad outcome. Why people today have the mindset of no maint. is a mystery to me but what your seeing is that very thing. Take it to the bank, the other gun company's have their set of problems just as Remington has or anyone else for that matter. Until people change you will continue to see this after all it is a "throw away society" is it not.
Okay and for the new Remington 870ís that have a grand reputation of being rusted new in the box, is that the fault of the customer as well or can we admit Remington has a QC issue?
Old 04-13-2019, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Okay and for the new Remington 870ís that have a grand reputation of being rusted new in the box, is that the fault of the customer as well or can we admit Remington has a QC issue?
If you have nothing but hate for the Remington line fine but why in hell did you come in here and post more than one time have your opinion stated then quit? Seems to me is all you want to do is ***** piss and moan to rain on the OP's question. I'm tired of the sniveling and I'm done trying to explain to someone that doesn't "want" to listen. Your mind is made up......fine now go write to Remington about your opinion about them and see if they exhibit the patience we have here. I'm done.
Old 04-13-2019, 2:02 PM

Quote:
If you have nothing but hate for the Remington line fine but why in hell did you come in here and post more than one time have your opinion stated then quit? Seems to me is all you want to do is ***** piss and moan to rain on the OP's question. I'm tired of the sniveling and I'm done trying to explain to someone that doesn't "want" to listen. Your mind is made up......fine now go write to Remington about your opinion about them and see if they exhibit the patience we have here. I'm done.
My god, your feelings are showing. I asked you a legitimate question regarding the reputation of their shotguns and QC, which is completely relevant to the discussion I’ve had with you and numerous posters regarding their QC as a whole. So how does it go, I state my opinion, you state your completely opposing opinion opinion, and then it ends there? Does that mean I’m listening? You sound like a child getting worked up over it because you own a Remington. Talk about sniveling. You’re the most emotional person in here.

In addition, I didn’t quit anything. The discussion was about the poor finishes and quality control of Remington products. You took the elementary route of blaming it completely on the consumer based on zero evidence and I took that out of the equation by bringing up the issues surrounding their new in the box firearms that are frequently already rusted which is widely documented. You had no rebuttal so instead you whined like a child.

Last edited by oak18; 04-13-2019 at 2:13 PM..
Old 04-13-2019, 2:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My god, your feelings are showing. I asked you a legitimate question regarding the reputation of their shotguns and QC, which is completely relevant to the discussion Iíve had with you and numerous posters regarding their QC as a whole. So how does it go, I state my opinion, you state your completely opposing opinion opinion, and then it ends there? Does that mean Iím listening? You sound like a child getting worked up over it because you own a Remington. Talk about sniveling. Youíre the most emotional person in here.
How rusty was your new in the box Remington?

Or did you just read it on the internet?

Is your opinion real or does Polly need a cracker?

Last edited by TMB 1; 04-13-2019 at 2:16 PM..
Old 04-13-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
How rusty was your new in the box Remington?

Or did you just read it on the internet?

Is your opinion real or does Polly need a cracker?

Why would I purchase a Remington without doing research on it first? And anyone who does any research on new Remington products would be overwhelmed with unsatisfied customers. Iíve had friends and family members with Remington firearms that had rust issues. One of them was right out of the box rusted like it had been through Vietnam.

Im glad Iíve never wasted my money on a piece of **** from that company, that was bought by the Freedom Group, which has an awful reputation of ruining companies and by the way, they filed for bankruptcy last year too. Thatís a sign of a great company thatís really successful, isnít it?
Old 04-13-2019, 2:31 PM

It’s almost like you could read through thousands of comments of people taking about how ****ty a company has become and actually thinking to yourself “maybe they’re not as good as they used to be.”

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen..._makers_files/

Seriously. If any of you did just 5 minutes of research you would have a different opinion. Maybe you got a decent product, but many many others did not. Way more than any other firearm company out there. It’s just willful ignorance at this point.

There’s hundreds of threads on forums of people talking about how bad they are.
Old 04-13-2019, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Why would I purchase a Remington without doing research on it first? And anyone who does any research on new Remington products would be overwhelmed with unsatisfied customers. Iíve had friends and family members with Remington firearms that had rust issues. One of them was right out of the box rusted like it had been through Vietnam.

Im glad Iíve never wasted my money on a piece of **** from that company, that was bought by the Freedom Group, which has an awful reputation of ruining companies and by the way, they filed for bankruptcy last year too. Thatís a sign of a great company thatís really successful, isnít it?
If I listened to you. I would not have found out how good the new Remington 783 is.

I don't know anyone who has received a rusty Remington right out of the box.

I thought they filed bankruptcy because they got sued by people who didn't know how to adjust triggers or clean their guns.
Old 04-13-2019, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

NO non stainless surface finish on off the rack firearms is impervious to rust.

Theres a week old thread about a Python hunter, famous for the deep hand prepped blue finish, destroyed by storing it in a foam case.

And yet, my fathers late 40s/early 1950s blued Remington fieldmaster pump rimfire, which he bought when he was 13, has a flawless finish. So does his deep blued woodsman pistol.

Firearms rust. My first lesson, even before i learned to shoot, is that a simple human fingerprint will rust a blued finish. Water is the enemy of a good finish.

After use in the field, firearms need to be thoroughly dried and oiled. Ive known this my whole life.

Stainless finishes are a great option for hard use hunting firearms. They've been available since at least the 1980s.

I bought a 7005r in stainless, largely on Randalls recommendation that the 5r barrels are the best current production 700s.

Ive had nothing but solid performance out of mine, and i still make sure it is cleaned and lightly oiled when put away, even though it sees hot dry conditions for use.

Take care of your firearms and other tools. If drying and lightly oiling the finish is too much trouble, i dont see how blaming big bad remington is the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-13-2019, 2:46 PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Firearms/co...y_update_2017/
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1157748/pg1
https://www.guns.com/news/2015/09/23...ington-anymore
https://thefederalist.com/2018/03/28...-control-push/
https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...drain.6854038/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...he_quality_of/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red...remington_770/
https://amp.reddit.com/r/guns/commen..._770/?sort=top
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/R...rol-/1-483605/

I could do this **** for weeks if I wanted to. And there’s no other firearm manufacturer on the planet with anything close to the amount of online hate Remington gets. These aren’t just posts of one incident from one person. It’s a collection of people reiterating the same point: Remington is not a good company anymore.
Old 04-13-2019, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Itís almost like you could read through thousands of comments of people taking about how ****ty a company has become and actually thinking to yourself ďmaybe theyíre not as good as they used to be.Ē

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen..._makers_files/

Seriously. If any of you did just 5 minutes of research you would have a different opinion. Maybe you got a decent product, but many many others did not. Way more than any other firearm company out there. Itís just willful ignorance at this point.

Thereís hundreds of threads on forums of people talking about how bad they are.
The internet is full of opinion. Much of it is just repeated nonsense by people who ďheardĒ or know ďa buddy who...Ē.

First hand experience with 700s? All i know is my first prs match was chock full of 700s, not a lot of complaining about them. Mine runs fine. Randall has unfíed more 700s than you or i will ever touch. He thinks highly of them. I wonder why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-13-2019, 2:47 PM

Quote:
If I listened to you. I would not have found out how good the new Remington 783 is.

I don't know anyone who has received a rusty Remington right out of the box.

I thought they filed bankruptcy because they got sued by people who didn't know how to adjust triggers or clean their guns.
Yeah, thatís totally why they went bankrupt. https://thefederalist.com/2018/03/28...-control-push/
Old 04-13-2019, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
The internet is full of opinion. Much of it is just repeated nonsense by people who ďheardĒ or know ďa buddy who...Ē.

First hand experience with 700s? All i know is my first prs match was chock full of 700s, not a lot of complaining about them. Mine runs fine. Randall has unfíed more 700s than you or i will ever touch. He thinks highly of them. I wonder why.
Then why is it just Remington that gets so much hate? Why isnít it every other firearm manufacturer? Did Remington bang everyoneís wives? Do you know who freedom group is? Or their history? You canít tell me there is no evidence of a decline in quality. The evidence is everywhere. This is one of probably 10 gun forums I frequent and itís the only one that defends Remington and acts like thereís nothing wrong with that company. I guess everyone else is full of it and Calguns is filled with experts.