Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 04-21-2019, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faterikcartman View Post
I think Boy George sang ďpopularity breeds contemptĒ lol.

Iím heartened this didnít descend into a ďyour mama wears army bootsĒ as Randall mused; or something like ďonly red headed left handers with a hunched back shoot [fill in the blank] sort of thing.

And not even even a ďI prefer controlled round feed...Ē segue. Wow. Are we sure this is a public gun forum?

Anyway, Iím not here get into the brand debate.

But did want to point out to people not wedded to their routine that they may want to look into Eezox over oil for rust prevention. Iím a convert.

Carry on. Unless everyone is out of steam. Beer is in the fridge.
Iíve never heard of Eezox before. Iíll have to order some and try it out.
Old 04-21-2019, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
I'd love to see who sells more rifles? Remington , Savage, Weatherby, Ruger ?
Excluding entry rifles of 400-500 or less.
Considering Remington filed for bankruptcy last year, Iím sure their sales arenít very high anymore.
Old 04-21-2019, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

It all boils down to what your after.

If your after a decent out of the box hunting rifle they will all work for you.

If you want the most buildable platform ever created you get a 700.

The rust issue is only an issue for those who want to make it an issue. The video took 42 seconds to make and less than 50 cents worth of paint was used. The gun won't get any oil for the next 5 years minimum and neither will most of my guns.

The barrel I painted in the post above was stainless steel and it had more rust than the 700 had. It won't be oiled ever.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 04-21-2019, 6:27 AM

Lynn, according to most of these guys, people like you are the problem. Your decision to be lazy and not slather your rifle in CLP everytime you open the safe door is helping ruin Remingtons reputation.
Old 04-21-2019, 7:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah but none of them can shoot worth a can of beans.
If you can shoot you shoot if you can't you complain about your equipment.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 04-21-2019, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak18 View Post
Thereís tons of reports online of people who received rusted guns from Remington straight from the factory. From both gun shop owners and those purchasing the guns. Hell, thereís a guy on this thread that posted about it happening to him with a Remington purchase. But I guess itís never happened since you havenít seen it. I guess thereís just a bunch of people lying or conspiring together. Seems real plausible.

I own two Remington firearms. Neither of which were manufactured in the past 12 years, however.

Why would I purchase a firearm from a company that has such a diminished reputation? Seems like a pretty ignorant thing to do given their recent history.
They probably telling truth about rust. I just think most are probably people blaming Remington for the rust when it was their own fault for the rust. Like Lynn's rusty bolt handle except he didn't blame Remington.

I have a Mosin with rust on bolt handle and butt plate like Lynn's Remington, I didn't blame Russia for building crappy rifle, I blamed me. I also didn't use Lynn's fix it method I just used oil.

Guess I'm just ignorant because I bought a couple recently that came from that company, neither has rust and none of them I've looked at, at multiple gun stores had rust.
Old 04-21-2019, 8:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Yeah the rust on my gun is from me. I don't use oil and let multiple people use my guns not just that one.
I would never have oiled it or painted it except for this thread and only to show others it is a non-issue.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 04-21-2019, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Lynn, according to most of these guys, people like you are the problem. Your decision to be lazy and not slather your rifle in CLP everytime you open the safe door is helping ruin Remingtons reputation.
Or, if you are interested at all in being honest, what has been said is metals rust, oils from handling and water from use both cause rust, and wiping them down with oil after handling and use prevents it.

Hyperbole adds nothing, and the need to engage in it reveals the weakness of your position.
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
Or, if you are interested at all in being honest, what has been said is metals rust, oils from handling and water from use both cause rust, and wiping them down with oil after handling and use prevents it.

Hyperbole adds nothing, and the need to engage in it reveals the weakness of your position.
Well Iím kind of backed into a corner after TMB hit me with about a dozen ďyou probablyísĒ and ďI bet youísď, accusing me of all kinds of stuff he just made up.

That being said, Iím just going with the flow of blaming everything on the consumer and trying not to blame anything on the company with the shoddy reputation.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Iíve never heard of Eezox before. Iíll have to order some and try it out.
Amazing stuff.

And my wife says itís the least offensive strong smell of all the firearms products I use.

BUT, it is not cheap, it is not easy to find and, like many things that continue to work well, it is probably not hippie friendly. Be sure to check the MSDS. Iím pretty sure it is hazardous. That said, if you use it correctly, Iím pretty sure it is still at the top.
I am not your lawyer. I am not giving you or anyone else who reads my posts legal advice. I am making off-the-cuff comments that may or may not be accurate and are personal, not professional, opinion. If you think you need a lawyer please retain a qualified attorney in your jurisdiction. Your local bar association may be able to help if you need a referral.

Two Weeks!: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a...p/t-59936.html
Old 04-21-2019, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Well Iím kind of backed into a corner after TMB hit me with about a dozen ďyou probablyísĒ and ďI bet youísď, accusing me of all kinds of stuff he just made up.

That being said, Iím just going with the flow of blaming everything on the consumer and trying not to blame anything on the company with the shoddy reputation.
What did I make up?
Old 04-21-2019, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
What did I make up?
Iím with an activist group, I have a personal bias against Remington and everything I say is made up ****, I would complain if Remington rifles came covered in oil, I would complain no matter what they did, etc, etc.
Old 04-21-2019, 1:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Really? Where did he say they require to be slathered in oil "every time the safe opens"? How is oiling a metal tool after use or after it gets wet anything like that?
Quote:
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Iím with an activist group, I have a personal bias against Remington and everything I say is made up ****, I would complain if Remington rifles came covered in oil, I would complain no matter what they did, etc, etc.
Just opinion based on the way you act.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Really? Where did he say they require to be slathered in oil "every time the safe opens"? How is oiling a metal tool after use or after it gets wet anything like that?
Yeah, really. How is that any worse than making baseless insults?

That comment regarding the safe opening is a general shot at the ďif you keep it oiled then it wonít rustĒ like thereís no such thing as a firearm with a poor finish on it that will rust much, much easier than it should.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Just opinion based on the way you act.
Iím sure it is.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

That comment regarding the safe opening is a general shot at the ďif you keep it oiled then it wonít rustĒ like thereís no such thing as a firearm with a poor finish on it that will rust much, much easier than it should.
I have old Remington, Savage, Winchester and Marlin rifles/shotguns with little to no finish left on them. Oil keeps them from rusting.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
I have old Remington, Savage, Winchester and Marlin rifles/shotguns with little to no finish left on them. Oil keeps them from rusting.
Of course it does. The rifles were properly finished and the metal is treated as well, so even when the finish is heavily worn it wonít rust like a bare piece of steel.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

That comment regarding the safe opening is a general shot at the “if you keep it oiled then it won’t rust” like there’s no such thing as a firearm with a poor finish on it that will rust much, much easier than it should.
Wtf are you talking about. I didnt insult anyone. How does an insult excuse hyperbole?

Firearms are made of steel. It rusts. Finishes retard the rusting, but i have seen bluing with fingerprints etched into fine, deep bluing.

I learned firearms care before i was allowed to shoot one. Step one in my lessons was firearms rust. Oil from fingerprints rusts the finish. Bluing is terrible for durability, but its pretty. If a firearm gets wet, it needs to be dried and oiled or it will rust.

These lessons were learned in the early 1970s. Way before you decided Remington quality “slipped”.

When i went to college, we were issued M14s in a 100% humidity location. They rusted overnight if not oiled. Some guys would actually run scalding water over their rifle if it got muddy in an exercise, but the key was super hot water, let it steam off, IMMEDIATELY and fully oil the entire rifle.

None of this was before you decided to hate Remington.

Again, i have blued firearms my dad bought in the 40s and 50s, but they have been take care of.

Oil prevents rust. It just does. If a firearm rusts, it would not have rusted if it had been oiled.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Wtf are you talking about. I didnt insult anyone. How does an insult excuse hyperbole?

Firearms are made of steel. It rusts. Finishes retard the rusting, but i have seen bluing with fingerprints etched into fine, deep bluing.

I learned firearms care before i was allowed to shoot one. Step one in my lessons was firearms rust. Oil from fingerprints rusts the finish. Bluing is terrible for durability, but its pretty. If a firearm gets wet, it needs to be dried and oiled or it will rust.

These lessons were learned in the early 1970s. Way before you decided Remington quality ďslippedĒ.

When i went to college, we were issued M14s in a 100% humidity location. They rusted overnight if not oiled. Some guys would actually run scalding water over their rifle if it got muddy in an exercise, but the key was super hot water, let it steam off, IMMEDIATELY and fully oil the entire rifle.

None of this was before you decided to hate Remington.

Again, i have blued firearms my dad bought in the 40s and 50s, but they have been take care of.

Oil prevents rust. It just does. If a firearm rusts, it would not have rusted if it had been oiled.

My goodness. Two posts ago I referred to what TMB was doing in a post directed towards you since you wanted to start poking holes in the strength of my argument, I simply did the same.

Did you not read that part or did you just ignore it? Because thatís clearly what I was referring to.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Of course it does. The rifles were properly finished and the metal is treated as well, so even when the finish is heavily worn it won’t rust like a bare piece of steel.
Yep oil does prevent rust. Same goes for the old carbon steel knives, oil them or they'll rust. No finish on their blades from the get go.

Oil is treating the metal. Cooking oil is used to treat cast iron pans to keep them from rusting. Cooking oil will also work on knives and guns to prevent rust.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My goodness. Two posts ago I referred to what TMB was doing in a post directed towards you since you wanted to start poking holes in the strength of my argument, I simply did the same.

Did you not read that part or did you just ignore it? Because that’s clearly what I was referring to.
So no response to the substance? “Baseless insults”. Where?

Got it.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
So no response to the substance? ďBaseless insultsĒ. Where?

Got it.
I already mentioned the baseless insults to TMB several posts ago. Itís an Internet forum. Thereís words that are written in English. Go read them.

Iím doing exactly what youíre doing. Picking the parts out that I want to respond to and ignorning the rest.
Old 04-21-2019, 2:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I already mentioned the baseless insults to TMB several posts ago. Itís an Internet forum. Thereís words that are written in English. Go read them.

Iím doing exactly what youíre doing. Picking the parts out that I want to respond to and ignorning the rest.
Do me a favor, smug one, ignore everything i ever write.

Wahhhhhhh. Im simultaneously a crusader against Big, bad Remington, despite the fact that i have ZERO experience with the models that are the subject of this thread, and a victim.

Jesus.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Do me a favor, smug one, ignore everything i ever write.

Wahhhhhhh. Im simultaneously a crusader against Big, bad Remington, despite the fact that i have ZERO experience with the models that are the subject of this thread, and a victim.

Jesus.
Thatís hilarious coming from the guy so hell bent on defending another guy on an Internet forum. Might as well wipe his *** while your at it. You werenít even backing the substantive information that he was sharing, which makes it even worse. You were defending the baseless claims and all the made up ďyouíre probablyísĒ and ďI bet youísď.

Iíve alreaddy stated my experiences with the firearms being dicussed here and on other threads. However, you canít even correctly read the posts in which Iíve sent in reply to you so I certainly donít expect you to read anything else.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Baseless insults, where?
Old 04-21-2019, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thatís hilarious coming from the guy so hell bent on defending another guy on an Internet forum. Might as well wipe his *** while your at it. You werenít even backing the substantive information that he was sharing, which makes it even worse. You were defending the baseless claims and all the made up ďyouíre probablyísĒ and ďI bet youísď.

Iíve alreaddy stated my experiences with the firearms being dicussed here and on other threads. However, you canít even correctly read the posts in which Iíve sent in reply to you so I certainly donít expect you to read anything else.
He's not defending another guy on internet. Seems to me he's defending oiling guns to prevent rust.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Baseless insults, where?
I act like Iím part of an activist group? Where?
Old 04-21-2019, 3:12 PM

Quote:
He's not defending another guy on internet. Seems to me he's defending oiling guns to prevent rust.
I’d say that too if I was laying down next to him lmao.

He posted once about oiling to prevent rust. The rest of it was defending petty stuff.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Martyr much?

Wow.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I didnt defend anyone. I have repeatedly simply stated that steel rusts, that people who understand firearms know this, and that it is a fact across the board.

Now youve whined that youve been insulted, but contorted my posts into some gay thing.

Add hypocrisy to your resume.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-21-2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I didnt defend anyone. I have repeatedly simply stated that steel rusts, that people who understand firearms know this, and that it is a fact across the board.

Now youve whined that youve been insulted, but contorted my posts into some gay thing.

Add hypocrisy to your resume.
I wasn’t whining about being insulted. That’s the Internet, it happens. I brought it up because you chimed into a discussion you weren’t initially apart of to poke holes in my arguing methods so I brought the baseless insults up as to do the same with the person I was actually having a discussion with.

In other words, his debating tactics were bad as well.

Add hypocrisy to your resume as well.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:23 PM
Head Janitor

Let’s play a game I like to call ‘Who do I get to kick to the curb?’

The rules are simple, the next one to make a snide, snarky, rude or obnoxious comment wins and I roll a ten sided dice, odd you’re gone for a week even you’re gone forever.

Who wants to play?
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:23 PM

Oh well, this is a tired argument anyway. Now it’s turned into a **** throwing contest, much of which is my fault I’ll admit.

Happy Easter and keep your rifles oiled
Old 04-21-2019, 3:25 PM

Didn’t see your post before I sent that last one Kestryll so don’t interpret it a smart *** remark to what you said.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Can we keep this to bashing Remington's please?
It makes them cheaper when I can tell the seller I heard they have rust issues.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Old 04-21-2019, 3:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah, thatís totally why they went bankrupt. https://thefederalist.com/2018/03/28...-control-push/
^^^^
Quote:
That post ^ combined with the constant posts about all the posts you have read on the internet about rusty Remington's.

They talk about the activist groups trying to shut them down in the article you linked.
Old 04-21-2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnJr View Post
Can we keep this to bashing Remington's please?
It makes them cheaper when I can tell the seller I heard they have rust issues.
I'll TAKE IT!!!

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 04-21-2019, 4:02 PM

Quote:
^^^^

That post ^ combined with the constant posts about all the posts you have read on the internet about rusty Remington's.

They talk about the activist groups trying to shut them down in the article you linked.
That article clearly states several reasons why they went bankrupt, including being bought out by freedom group, bad quality control, and tarnishing the reputation of Remingtons classic models by cutting corners.

You came up with me being a part of an activist group because I shared that article? Haha okay.

That’s not a reach or anything.

Have a good day.
Old 04-21-2019, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That article clearly states several reasons why they went bankrupt, including being bought out by freedom group, bad quality control, and tarnishing the reputation of Remingtons classic models by cutting corners.

You came up with me being a part of an activist group because I shared that article? Haha okay.

That’s not a reach or anything.

Have a good day.
Yes that article made me come up with you being a part of an activist group because you pushing so hard not to get a Remington in this thread, you even made your avatar Rustington 870.