Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-13-2018, 4:44 PM

Default Shipping safe across country- Best/cheapest?

I wasn't sure where to put this question, but since it involves a safe, I thought I'd try right here.

I inherited my dad's 3'W X 2'D X 5'H safe. It's a monster. I do not know how much it weighs, but I'm going with what an email from the manufacturer told me, 800-1000 lbs. It's a great safe, I really like it, and I would like to keep it since it was his.

I am moving from Northern California to a state in the Southeast.

Any ideas of the best and/or most cost-effective way of doing this?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2018, 4:50 PM

Will you be shipping it alone, or with other items when you move?

If just the safe, I would bolt and strap it to a pallet and get quotes from freight companies- UPS Freight, ABF, etc. I've found that rates can vary up or down substantially week to week.

Moving it with your other stuff would be most cost effective.
Old 08-13-2018, 4:51 PM

Freight company would be good way as mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 5:00 PM

Going to be a bundle.........try those shipping wars people......
Old 08-13-2018, 8:10 PM

Rent a forklift/bobcat and put it with your other stuff you are moving, 1K lbs isnt anything....reverse process when you get to your destination.
American stormed the beaches of Normandy, not Europeans. Americans invented the airplane, personal computer, telephone, radio, TV, GPS, the DVR, automatic transmission, laser, and f'ing bubble gum. EUROPEANS DIDN"T. So until you asshats start providing the world with more innovation than Americans do how about you STFU about us?
Old 08-13-2018, 8:53 PM

I have used Fastenall several times for shipping large items. They are not fast but they don't cost a bunch.

You will need to have it strapped to a pallet (use a ratchet strap).

They call it "3rd party logistics"

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/3pl-(...arty-logistics)

Brett
Certified Polygraph Examiner. I provide services for Criminal and Civil Litigation, Private Businesses, Law Enforcement/Fire Pre-Employment screening, Fidelity Concerns, and other types of Family Disputes.

http://ToThePointPolygraph.com
Old 08-13-2018, 8:56 PM

put it in the back of your truck?
Old 08-14-2018, 6:59 AM

Wow, these are great tips! I don't know the first thing about "palletizing" an item. I appreciate Bart1015's suggestion for using Fastenal. I sent them an estimate request.

SuperDave50, I would like to just haul it in my truck, but I cannot move that much weight, wouldn't risk my back or the backs of my friends to do so, and my Tacoma probably can't handle that payload, haha!

Jeffyhog, The safe is the only thing in that part of the state. Maybe I should have it transported down to the southern half, and then have it shipped out with everything else when the movers take it in the spring. Something to think about, thank you.

Snypr, I dig your signature file :-)
Old 08-14-2018, 1:39 PM

lay it down flat in the back of your Toyota. I loaded and unloaded a 400 pound safe this way by myself
Old 08-14-2018, 6:05 PM

If it weren't your dad's, I'd suggest selling it and buying a new one as it may be more expensive to move than it costs new.

However, given the situation I recommend driving it yourself. Put it in a separate trailer. Yes, it will either take three strong friends or a good refrigerator dolly (and only one friend).

Good luck.
Old 08-14-2018, 7:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyStills View Post
SuperDave50, I would like to just haul it in my truck, but I cannot move that much weight, wouldn't risk my back or the backs of my friends to do so, and my Tacoma probably can't handle that payload, haha!
Your Tacoma can handle a thousand pounds if it's one of the newer generations (2005 and up)...although it may be toward the upper end of it's limit. There should be info on this in your door jam or the manual...or on line. However, if you go this route, you will probably want to remove your tailgate for loading and unloading. I doubt the tailgate can handle 1000 lbs.

Fighter Pilot
Old 08-14-2018, 8:51 PM

You might rent a small enclosed U-Haul trailer to So Cal and then bundle it all together for the move back east. Your truck should handle it fine. Four guys can load almost anything, and moving blankets/straps are cheap at Harbor Freight.

When I moved to Idaho, I had more than one large safe. Very large and very heavy. 35 years of toys inside them. I used POD containers, and shipped some bubble wrapped firearms in each safe, along with some other heavy items like tools, ammo, etc.

Everything was CA legal of course, but I just didn't want to be delayed at every weigh station in a rental truck, nor did I want to trust movers to handle my firearms. Thoughts of being on the National news proned out with a background shot of my safes, water barrels, fuel cans, tons of ammo just didn't appeal to me. ;-)

It cost a few dollars more than a rental truck, and lot less than movers. You load the POD, put your lock on it and in a couple days to a week they drop it in your driveway.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-15-2018, 3:55 PM

Great ideas and fantastic input and advice, thanks everyone!!
So far, the simplest method is tpuig's. I'll have to rent a u-haul one-way, somehow get the safe loaded into it (might need to hire some strong backs from the local day-labor parking lot), and then tow it via Tacoma to So Cal. Then have movers pick it up with the rest of the stuff for the east coast. Of course, I may not have enough time to do all this
Old 08-15-2018, 8:11 PM

I picked up a free safe from Craigslist. The door alone weighed 300-400 pounds and the safe had to be over 1000. I rented a trailer from Home Depot and used an engine cherry picker to pick it up high enough to get into the trailer.. With a cheater bar and a 2x4, you can get high enough to get strap underneath it. Reversed the process once it was at my house. If you have samll steel pipes, you can roll it across a concrete floor on them. Like the pics you see building the pyramids
Old 08-19-2018, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

If you can get it ready for pick up, crated/palleted, you can get a quote from ODFL for drive way to drive way.

Getting it into the house is another matter. You'll need a local company.

JT