Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-19-2018, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Default Golden Stick causes more humidity?

My safe was first set up simply with dehumidifying tubs of drying chemicals. They lasted about 1 year before water build up dictated they should be replaced.

As soon as I put in a Golden Stick heating rod, the tubs started filling up with water almost on a monthly basis.

What's up with that?
Old 08-19-2018, 8:47 AM

More ambient humidity?
Old 08-19-2018, 2:43 PM

Theory below, not positive.

The two methods use different mechanisms for keeping rust away. The chemicals absorb the water. The dryrod heats the air causing air to move around to avoid having pockets of moist air in any one spot plus allowing the slightly warmer air to hold on to more moisture.

It could be that the dry rods caused the air to recirculate such that the chemicals took all the moisture out of the entire safe, not just from where they were sitting.

What say you CG'ers?
Old 08-19-2018, 3:23 PM
Veteran Member

Golden rods work by heating the guns in the safe to a warmer temp than the air outside. Moisture condenses on items colder than the air, such as a cold can of soda. So technically the rod is not removing the moisture from the air, it is just keeping if off the steel guns.
Old 08-19-2018, 9:30 PM
Veteran Member

I live a 1000’ feet from the surf line and I bought a golden rod about 4 years ago for my new safe. I never got around to installing it or any other rust prevention devices. Haven’t had any issues. I don’t frequently clean or oil anything. Modern guns with the exception of the 870 express are very rust resistant. The golden rod just seemed like a fire hazard waiting to happen.
Old 08-20-2018, 6:02 AM

I've had the same "Golden Rod" in my safe since I bought my safe. 1991.
It seems to work just fine. 27 years. No rust, no fuss. Works like it should.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:08 PM

It is physics, warm air holds more water moisture. Same reason why when you turn in the defroster on your windshield in the morning you turn on the AC to make it clear faster. Colder air squeezes the moister out. The golden rods by heating the air gets the moisture into the air but since heat rises it causes a circulatory effect inside your safe keeping the moisture from condensing onto your metal objects you wish to keep rust away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk