Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 10-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Default Cerakote, is it really that good???

YES it is here is a link to a really well done independent field test done on a AR platform ...... it was on a dry AR ...... thats right no lubrication at all.

Cerakote Test
Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 AM

wow that was a cool video I guess I will get some stuff Cerakoted when I save up a few bucks to do them all at once.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Yep and when you ready you can pm me for a quote.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

but can it be removed at a later date for standard park or blueing ?

i have been looking at Cerakote for some time and even have all the samples
Old 11-04-2012, 11:26 AM

Location: Buckeye Arizona. Formerly of Redding, Shasta County
Default I just had my AK done

I just converted my Hungarian SA 85M from a sporterized thumb hole stock to a traditional AK stock, and I had it Cerakoted midnight blue after changing the gas block and front sight block to ones that hold the cleaning rod like they should.

[IMG] Hungarian SA 85M Right Side Full Image After by carllovett, on Flickr[/IMG]

I love the Cerakote. It just feels smooth, although I do plan on putting some frog lube on it before I fire it. Or maybe just some balistol, but something for sure to lubricate it. After picking the Hungarian up from the guy, I finished two builds and delivered a Yugo M64 reweld, and a Yugo M70b1 for Cerakote jobs. I can't wait to get them back.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal

Last edited by Seaweed02; 11-04-2012 at 2:24 PM..
Old 11-04-2012, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I had to redo a few part on my first try due to blemishes and the stuff blasts right off no issues.

It is a remarkable coating that is anything but paint.
Old 11-05-2012, 2:57 AM

Yes you can sand blast the finish off, in fact if you have to redo the paint job that is the only good way to remove it.

The problem would be Parking or Bluing after that because the sand media used is 120 grit which it to rough for either finish. If you use a finer media to blast off the Cerakote you will be there for a LONG while. The best way is blast off the Cerakote with 120 grit then go up to 320 grit for a surface that would feel smooth enough for the other finishes.

Cerakoted parts can be run dry but it is recommended that critical areas receive some lubrication, Frog Lube seems to work very well with Cerakote. The key thing about Cerakote is that unlike other finishes you do not need to oil Cerakoted parts to prevent rust.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 11-05-2012 at 3:00 AM..
Old 09-08-2013, 5:13 PM

Do you use the h version?
Old 09-08-2013, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7_s13 View Post
Do you use the h version?
I do. it's the only stuff i use. I assume Dan does as well
Old 09-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Yes only use H-Series as it can be 20% or more durable compared to air cured, plus you can change the gloss level with heat cured by how you mix it.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM

For the AR platform, do you recommend just Cerakoting the upper and lower, or do you see a noticeable advantage to doing the barrel as well? What about internal parts, do people do many/any of those? And finally, what's the cost involved?
Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM

We coat everything including internal parts, the exception being springs and the detents, with really no adverse effect on fit and function.

When I say everything that includes the bolt carrier, bolt, extractor, ejector (even the firing pin and pins). Cerakote is self lubricating when rubbing against other Cerakoted parts which is why we recommend Cerakoting everything as it dramatically reduces wear on parts.

Coating everything not only provides protection against wear but Cerakote is one of the most rust proof coatings for firearms. That fact plus not needing to oil parts Cerakoted to prevent rust makes cleaning and maintenance a much faster and easier job.

YOU CAN oil Cerakote like metal and the oils will sit on the surface and greatly decrease friction compared to oiled metal.

Our price for a entire AR/AK coated in one Cerakote color is $225.00 (includes the stock,pistol grip and all internal parts) with a 3 year warranty against defects and corrosion with free pickup and delivery to your home/business in San Diego County.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 09-09-2013 at 12:00 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM

Thanks! I'm in LA, though, so I assume some sort of shipping would be needed, unless I find myself heading down to SD anyway (twice). I've never shipping a full weapon, how does that work?

Curious: What's the point of CKing the stock and grip, which are plastic and already impervious to anything? Just color match? (also, does CK FDE perfectly color match Magpul FDE hardware?) I'm not looking for camo or digicam or anything, just straight FDE. Someday.

When you say "entire AR" I assume that means the barrel, too, although you didn't list it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:13 PM

tagged
Old 09-09-2013, 12:16 PM

Yes barrel, buffer tube ....basically anything that is considered part of the rifle (excludes magazine, scopes, bipods etc.)

Besides color match Cerakote is a ceramic based epoxy resin coating .... so it would make your plastic parts alot more scratch, wear and chemical resistant and Cerakote is extremely UV resistant so you won't see color fading when exposed to alot of sun light.

IF to much of a hassle any Cerakote Certified Applicator that has a gunsmith onsite should provide good service, stressing onsite gunsmith as ones that ship them off have more of a chance to lose parts from what I am hearing.

Ohh and Cerakote does have MagPul Flat Dark Earth as well as Flat Dark Earth and the color match is extremely close.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 09-09-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member

I'm curious, is the C series as UV resistant as the H series? I have been chewing on the idea for some time now to Cerakote my Jeep XJ with the air cure stuff.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Can you offer any info on your prep and coating process? How does a buyer discern one applicator from another? How can I tell if the finish is going to last by reviewing any applicator's process or equipment?
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 09-09-2013, 1:30 PM
Calguns Addict

just get a cerakote certified applicator..
Old 09-09-2013, 9:51 PM

Yep all Cerakote Factory Certified Applicators should be doing the job as good or better as sending it directly to the Cerakote Factory. Reviewing process and equipment while nice will not give you an idea of the quality of the work since there would be no way of knowing if they are using everything properly and actually doing all the steps. Cerakote Certified Applicators must agree to do the same process as the Cerakote factory does at a minimum to stay certified.

Like I said above also make sure they use a onsite gunsmith, ask what type of warranty they offer for the coating, and look at how many people recommend them.

We provide a 3 year warranty against defects and corrosion because I am very meticulous about prep and even add extra steps beyond what Cerakote requires. I have to date only one firearm come back due to defect not from prepping but because my air dryer mafunctioned and let to much moisture into the air lines (heat cured Cerakote need the moisture level at between 1% to 2%).

Cerakote as a Car Paint?

While there has been several people who actually have used air cure Cerakote to paint their vehicles remember that air cure takes 5 to 7 days to fully cure and applying heat does little to accelerate the process. The UV resistance is almost the same as heat cured Cerakote but air dry has a normal operating temp of 1200 degrees F, so you can paint the engine, headers, exhaust etc as well (Cerakote High Temp, the air cured version, was originally designed for that purpose). I would suggest the popular color Burnt Bronze for your Jeep and Shimmer Gold for the rims

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 09-09-2013 at 9:55 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
Cerakote as a Car Paint?

While there has been several people who actually have used air cure Cerakote to paint their vehicles remember that air cure takes 5 to 7 days to fully cure and applying heat does little to accelerate the process. The UV resistance is almost the same as heat cured Cerakote but air dry has a normal operating temp of 1200 degrees F, so you can paint the engine, headers, exhaust etc as well (Cerakote High Temp, the air cured version, was originally designed for that purpose). I would suggest the popular color Burnt Bronze for your Jeep and Shimmer Gold for the rims
Didn't realize the C series took 5 to 7 days to fully cure. I had envisioned doing it one or two panels at a time over weekends. Looks like I may have to do it all in one shot and then borrow the wifes car to drive to work for a few days. I've always wanted a car that required about the same level of maintenance on its finish as say, non-stick cookware. Just a quick rub down with a damp sponge maybe once or twice a year just to knock off the larger deposits of mud and bird poop. I think with the Cerakote I may have finally found the ultimate lazy mans paint job....

I actually do like the Burnt Bronze color, although it is getting a bit over played lately. I like it better when mixed with Armor Black, a color I call "More Burnter Bronze". This is my 300 BLK done with a 10:3 mix of Burnt Bronze to Armor Black:

Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

^^^^beefy
Old 09-10-2013, 8:24 PM

Burnt bronze mix are awesome. Sniper Bronze. 3:1 Burnt Bronze to Sniper Grey. Looks Olive Drab in dim light, bronze in direct sunlight.

Last edited by THEJAPINO; 09-10-2013 at 8:27 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 7:47 AM

That one I really like! I like that it changes color a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-21-2013, 8:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith Dan View Post
YES it is here is a link to a really well done independent field test done on a AR platform ...... it was on a dry AR ...... thats right no lubrication at all.

Cerakote Test
Do you have a website?

Please post more samples...

Color swatches???
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
--Thomas Jefferson
Quote:
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx
Old 09-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Do you have a website?

Please post more samples...

Color swatches???
u can get color swatches off the cerakote website
Old 09-22-2013, 8:19 PM

Let see first...

While you can mix both non metallic and metallic colors in Cerakote just know that you will "dull out" the metallic look of the color. That and not all colors have piqments that are friendly to each other, especially the lighter colors.

All of the metallics will change hue when exposed to different types of light, look at any photo on the Cerakote website of the metallic colors. You will see 10 different hues of the same color just dependent on how the picture was taken.

Second

www.gunsmithdan.com

unfortunately have been to busy to take the time to setup the website and I am horrible remembering to take pictures ... there is a few posted on yelp.

Yes if you want to see the true color goto the cerakote website:

Cerakote

and find the colors you like and order a sample color swatch, they will mail it for free (no limit on how many different colors you can order at the same time). Remember what you see on the screen and what the color is in real life can be different so the swatch is the best way to see the real color.

The Cerakote website has literally 1000's of pictures in their gallery so if you see something you like any Certified Cerakote Applicator should be able to do it, that is if there is no copyright or trademark issues.

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 09-22-2013 at 8:22 PM..
Old 09-23-2013, 3:47 PM

can you explain difference between regular Cerakote and Microslick and their applications?

could they be used together, like on the slide of a handgun?
Old 09-23-2013, 4:52 PM

Micro Slick a a ceramic based super low friction, anti galling, anti siezing compound that was originally made for coating inside pistons and turbines. It's main function was prevent damage in the case of loss of lubrication to high friction areas that require constant lubrication.

Then they changed the formula a bit so it could be used on firearms and it really works. So here is some of the differences between Micro Slick and Cerakote:
  1. Heat cured Cerakote has a normal operating temp of 500 F while Micro Slick is at 1200 F (air cured Cerakote has a normal operating temp of 1700 F but is not as hard).
  2. Cerakote lasted around 2300 hours in the salt spray corrosion test, Micro Slick lasted around 400 hours (same as Nickel or Chrome plating)
  3. Cerakote is self lubricating when rubbing on parts coated with Cerakote, Micro Slick is a lubricating coating that can rub on bare metal (that is of course if it is smooth)
  4. Cerakote is designed for hardness and is very wear resistant, Micro Slick is very wear resistant because of being very low friction and is not as hard as Cerakote.
  5. Cerakote comes in around 60 colors, Micro Slick comes in the color black.

Micro Slick and Cerakote CAN NOT be mixed as they are very different in the base chemicals used, all you get is a colored mess if you do. The majority of people use Micro Slick on internal parts like trigger groups, sears, bolt carriers and bolts because Micro Slick would be to slippery to use it on the outside of the firearm.

hope that answers your questions

Last edited by Gunsmith Dan; 09-23-2013 at 4:59 PM..