Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 7:34 PM

Any news??

Last edited by atomicwedgy; 02-21-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Old 02-22-2011, 12:51 PM

Any updates or pointers? I'm wanting to try and get mine but also do not want to get declined for a non reason either. I just recently moved back to Ventura county (from L.A. county) and am looking forward to at least seeing some hope of a CCW.
Old 02-27-2011, 9:42 PM

Same interest here as well. Are there any Calguns 'Ventura' news threads we can follow for information on the lawsuit (so we dont have to keep posting the 'anything new?' question) ?
Old 03-02-2011, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

We'll be filing the next motion in CGF v. Ventura soon. Without the records, it's difficult to judge where the county stands. What I've heard so far since the new sheriff was seated has not been favorable.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-03-2011, 4:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I'm up for renewal in Ventura in about 3 months. I guess we'll see if the Sheriff is willing to renew my 2 year old CCW. Although my GC is still the same, I'm somewhat anxious.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 03-05-2011, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
We'll be filing the next motion in CGF v. Ventura soon. Without the records, it's difficult to judge where the county stands. What I've heard so far since the new sheriff was seated has not been favorable.
Then I guess I will hold off a short while longer, Thanks for the update.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Any news on current Ventura Legislation status?
Old 04-02-2011, 7:57 AM

Default CCW pre-approved and later denied

After a year and some months of enduring the CCW process in Ventura, I was waiting for my permit in the mail. After speaking with the secretary she said it was approved and waiting for signature. Mind you this is all after I had been approved based on background and the completion of the training and shooting course.

This morning Sgt. Bad News calls me and tells me the new sheriff has denied my application rather than signing it.

So I did everything I was supposed to, and met all the necessary requirements. My interview and good cause were all approved. They said hey your approved, go pay and take the ccw test and we will mail you your permit. I am confused on how this happens? I asked the Sgt. to send me a formal letter stating the reason for denial., he said he would TRY?

Here is the link to the thread at calCCW:
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...-approval.html
Old 04-02-2011, 8:32 AM

very frustrating. "two weeks" is a painful amount of time. just finished reading the calccw thread.
Old 04-03-2011, 8:01 AM

Default Frustating

to say the least.
Old 04-13-2011, 7:06 PM
Veteran Member

Not good news. I am still hoping for the best when and if I ever get an interview.

-178S
Old 04-18-2011, 8:09 PM
Banned

Just stumbled across this post in another thread ('NewPosts' link at the top of the page destroys my spare time!):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChubbyMcLard View Post
I received a letter from the Ventura County Sheriff's department today. Are there any attorneys here that can offer some advice?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Anyone with a CCW issue should email their contact info and details to ccw@calgunsfoundation.org.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 04-29-2011, 3:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The matter is scheduled for hearing on the Petition for Writ of Mandate in Department 42, on Friday, May 6, at 8:20 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyoga View Post
The matter is scheduled for hearing on the Petition for Writ of Mandate in Department 42, on Friday, May 6, at 8:20 AM.
Our final reply in support of our motion for writ of mandate was filed today. We look forward to the hearing and will update you with more info on the case soon.

-Brandon

Old 04-29-2011, 5:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

I received my DENIAL on April 12, 2011.
Old 04-29-2011, 5:09 PM
Veteran Member

Can someone please explain what a writ of mandate is and/or what is does.
Old 04-29-2011, 5:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandamus

Old 04-29-2011, 8:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
I received my DENIAL on April 12, 2011.
I'm really sorry to hear of your denial.

(But I'm glad you switched your avatar back to the cutie in the pink top! )
Old 04-29-2011, 8:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelrain82 View Post
Select text, right click, "search google for..." [or copy, new tab/window, paste, search...see how tedious it is to not use Chrome?]
Following page is the first search result, Wildhawker beat me to it by a long shot, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Old 05-06-2011, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by uyoga View Post

Rescheduled to 06/06/2011 at 08:00 AM in 42 at Ventura.
Old 05-06-2011, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
What a drag.

-Brandon
Old 05-06-2011, 8:20 AM

whos idea was it to postpone/reschedule?
Old 05-06-2011, 8:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicwedgy View Post
whos idea was it to postpone/reschedule?
The Judge...
Old 05-06-2011, 8:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
For what reason did the judge do this?

www.ebrworks.com

Old 05-06-2011, 8:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactco View Post
For what reason did the judge do this?
Maybe the judge hadn't had time to read all of the pleadings... I haven't heard a reason...
Old 05-07-2011, 4:29 PM

Hey,

The VC Sheriff's Department now has a link on their website pertaining to CCW's.

http://www.vcsd.org/sub-weapons-permits.php

I wonder if this because of the lawsuit? Maybe they feel pressured to make their CCW process more accessible? Or maybe Sheriff Dean wants to make the whole process easier for everyone interested in applying? Either way, it's a good thing they are making CCW info a permanent part of their site, right?

Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2011, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston1980 View Post
Hey,

The VC Sheriff's Department now has a link on their website pertaining to CCW's.

http://www.vcsd.org/sub-weapons-permits.php

I wonder if this because of the lawsuit? Maybe they feel pressured to make their CCW process more accessible? Or maybe Sheriff Dean wants to make the whole process easier for everyone interested in applying? Either way, it's a good thing they are making CCW info a permanent part of their site, right?

Thoughts?
If you read items 1-7, it doesn't tell you anything that isn't already publicly available through DOJ. They might be trying to make people feel like they're making the process more accessible to applicants but its really just fluff.

-Brandon
Old 05-11-2011, 9:59 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor P Price View Post
If you read items 1-7, it doesn't tell you anything that isn't already publicly available through DOJ. They might be trying to make people feel like they're making the process more accessible to applicants but its really just fluff.
Agreed, they didn't even bother to post the actual prices.
Old 05-12-2011, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodyne View Post
Agreed, they didn't even bother to post the actual prices.
That's what we get when sheriff is a political position.

-Brandon
Old 05-17-2011, 8:21 PM

Well...I applied in early June of 2010 and had a good interview in late November. Was told to go ahead and take the training and I'd get a letter in 30 days or so. Six months later and I haven't heard anything. I called to update personal info after moving and they couldn't find my file. Sweet! Was finally told it was at admin for final decision. Coming up on a year since I applied. Very frustrating, but what can you do. Waiting as patiently as I can.
Old 05-17-2011, 8:33 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I just sent in my renewal. I guess I'll find out how smoothly the process goes. My initial approval took 11 months....

www.ebrworks.com

Old 05-18-2011, 2:35 AM
Veteran Member

I have a co-worker who just submitted his renewal as well. He was told it should go failry quick.

I completed my CCW interview in early April. The Deputy was very likeable and professional as I was very impressed with his demeanor and approach. The interview started by him describing the process and why we were meeting. He wanted to make it clear we would go over line by line my application. He did note that due to the size of my file, very thin, that it should be fairly painless interview. He joked that if it was a thick file we would be talking for a while.

He explained a little about the liability associated with having a CCW if one needed to use it. We went over that brandish of a weapon, even with a CCW, is a crime. However, mitigating circumstances often clear the CCW holder once the details are explained to LE.

I was very open on my application and did not try to cover up anything. Funny enough, he still had some info for which I had completely forgotten about that happened over 17 years ago. I was not cited, however, it was ‘in the system.’

At the end of the interview he told me that he felt I was a citizen of good moral character and should be allowed to CCW and that my application would go forward as such. Apparently, packages go forward in groups so you really don’t know how long it may ‘sit’ before moving forward.

The deputy said I should hear something in 6-8 weeks.

-178S

Last edited by One78Shovel; 05-18-2011 at 2:48 AM..
Old 05-21-2011, 6:30 PM

Default Ventura First Time Applicant

Back in June 2010, reading about more sympathetic CCW policy in some counties I thought I had a reasonable good cause so I sent off to Ventura for the application packet.

Then Corona got canned and things looked like they were going pear-shaped so I left the completed application on my bookshelf. Then at the end of 2010 Ventura had a contested Sheriff election. I emailed both candidates about their position and only got an answer from the eventual winner, who I voted for. I have no LEO or political donations contact other than this.

So January 31 with the new Sheriff in place and CalGuns suing Ventura I submitted my application. The lady who took it said "it could take up to a year" as variously reported on this board. Called by deputy for interview April 15. He stressed he was just the background investigator and the decision wasn't up to him. As with the poster above, he said the file is thin so not much to discuss. Spelt out the law as above, asked me to describe my good cause and said he'd submit the report. Said they went in batches should hear within in 4 weeks. May 13 got the letter to come in to pay and do fingerprints for DOJ/FBI. Lady said, if I'm confident the FBI/DOJ would come back clean, I should take the training and that I should hear within 4 weeks. Took training today and will hand that in on Monday.

So if they work as dlilligently as they have been I should be good to go by mid June. UPDATE: CCW arrived today so thats 2 weeks from fingerprints to issue.

Everyone was very nice, professional and helpful.

Last edited by V; 06-03-2011 at 7:42 PM.. Reason: arrival date
Old 05-22-2011, 8:16 AM
Veteran Member

That's good news, however, if your good cause was anything other than "self defense" then not much headway has been made. That's the gold standard we're looking for.
Old 05-23-2011, 8:44 PM

Glad to hear things are going smoothly for you crkba. I don't understand how I can be almost a year into it and the issue still so uncertain. Especially after being told I should complete the training after my interview. I could see it if there were issues in my background, or I had a record or something, but that's not the case. Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 05-31-2011, 9:05 PM

Does anyone have any available maps for GFSZ in ventura county. Especially the thousand oaks area. Seems very soon CC will be the only legal way to carry, however at this point I would like to find where my limits are. And yes I am aware this will refer to a temporary option to UOC as it may be gone shortly.

Last edited by atomicwedgy; 06-01-2011 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: question
Old 06-07-2011, 2:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Maybe the judge hadn't had time to read all of the pleadings... I haven't heard a reason...
I read on Twitter that CGF was heard yesterday in VC.

CalgunsFdn states- "We're optimistic after hearing oral argument in CGF v Ventura"

What is next in the process? I would like to sit in on your next hearing

Thanks
-178S

Last edited by One78Shovel; 06-07-2011 at 2:41 AM..
Old 06-07-2011, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One78Shovel View Post
I read on Twitter that CGF was heard yesterday in VC.

CalgunsFdn states- "We're optimistic after hearing oral argument in CGF v Ventura"

What is next in the process? I would like to sit in on your next hearing

Thanks
-178S
The judge heard oral arguments and will issue a ruling when he has made his decision. From his words, I am almost certain that he plans to rule in our favor, but wants to spend some time determining the redaction guidelines for the sheriff's department (this was in response to the SO's assertion that a paid deputy on overtime would need to do the redactions instead of clerical staff - "But the redactions will be based on the guidelines I determine, not yours, right?" [paraphrase]).

Ryan
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 06-07-2011, 6:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2310 View Post
The judge heard oral arguments and will issue a ruling when he has made his decision. From his words, I am almost certain that he plans to rule in our favor, but wants to spend some time determining the redaction guidelines for the sheriff's department (this was in response to the SO's assertion that a paid deputy on overtime would need to do the redactions instead of clerical staff - "But the redactions will be based on the guidelines I determine, not yours, right?" [paraphrase]).

Ryan
Thanks Ryan.
Should it be expected then, pending a favorable ruling, we will get to see some good cause statements, both approved/denied with redaction?

If so, very good news.

-178S
Closed Thread