Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
On the public lines it's the usual kind of one shot per second nonsense. If you want to shoot fast go take a class or compete - groups that rent a range are exempt from a lot of the rules.
Although I still have yet to do it, that's probably the only way to get any fast fire or holster work done. I went to watch a Monday night fun shoot that they have out at Livermore. No holster work, but they allow rapid fire.

Happy shooting and be safe.
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-17-2013, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Is there a next day for Shoot 'n Q?

Erik.
Old 07-17-2013, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

@XDJYo The nicest thing is to take a USPSA class at Richmond or Chabot, get your card, and then hit the Richmond practice sessions every Saturday morning. You can draw from holster and shoot fast against paper targets, they have a plate rack, and they have a full USPSA stage you can run through and shoot.

The other two big options are to drive down to BLM land (best if you have targets and time) or to do the Saturday PM Steel Shoot in San Leandro (you can't work on movement at all and they have some first timer requirements that are kind of odd - details on their website).

@Erik - I'd imagine the day after Thanksgiving again.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
@XDJYo The nicest thing is to take a USPSA class at Richmond or Chabot, get your card, and then hit the Richmond practice sessions every Saturday morning. You can draw from holster and shoot fast against paper targets, they have a plate rack, and they have a full USPSA stage you can run through and shoot.

The other two big options are to drive down to BLM land (best if you have targets and time) or to do the Saturday PM Steel Shoot in San Leandro (you can't work on movement at all and they have some first timer requirements that are kind of odd - details on their website).

@Erik - I'd imagine the day after Thanksgiving again.
Thanks Eljay for the info!!! I'm out in San Ramon, so Richmond or BLM would be a bit of a drive. But, looking at Chabot and the Action Pistol Club in San Jose. I'll have to check out cost on the class. Thanks!!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

We have people who regularly come from as far away as Roseville, Cloverdale, Santa Rosa, Santa Cruz, San Jose and all points in between to practice action shooting.. (Richmond Hotshots). San Ramon isn't as far as the cities named above and we are minutes from 80 and 580.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

For USPSA at Chabot see: http://tasc-ipsc.com
For Richmond it's http://www.richmondhotshots.com

You can take the class at either place and then shoot matches at either place or do the Richmond practice sessions. I shoot at Chabot and it's very pleasant but I still try to make it to Richmond for a monthly practice session. Even if you just pop over there for an hour or so you can go through a LOT of rounds.
Old 07-18-2013, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
For USPSA at Chabot see: http://tasc-ipsc.com
For Richmond it's http://www.richmondhotshots.com

You can take the class at either place and then shoot matches at either place or do the Richmond practice sessions. I shoot at Chabot and it's very pleasant but I still try to make it to Richmond for a monthly practice session. Even if you just pop over there for an hour or so you can go through a LOT of rounds.
Thanks for the links! I'm also afraid that once I get a taste for it, I will be all gung-ho and start spending tons of money on ammo, classes, holsters etc!!! My wallet ain't like that!!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 07-27-2013, 8:48 AM

Default PPC at Chabot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trgt View Post
Next PPC at Chabot is tomorrow! :-)
Thanks for the update... :-)

I've sold off my Davis Custom PPC revolver and all of my gear... anyway with my aging eyes I am no longer competitive. It was nice memory and I still show off my trophies that I earned at Chabot...
Old 07-27-2013, 9:04 AM

Chabot is a nice range, but the staff there are like nazis some times.
Before you get huffy in your response, realize I have been an NRA RSO for about 15 years. I understand the fundementals and necessity for safety. BUT, there is a right way and a wrong way. YELLING at people and berating them in front of friends, family, and strangers is the WRONG WAY. Granted, i have only been yelled at twice..once for taking pictures of my son while he was shooting, the other while apparently rapid firing (they make you wait one second between each shot, apparently 1,2, bang is rapid firing).
Old 07-27-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, Chabot has three stupid rules.
1. The SKS thing.
2. No humanoid targets, even Appleseed style outlines.
3. No video (photos OK).
Thats why i go to the livermore gun range. Last time i went out someone had a Feinstein target and they didn't say anything... Every once in a whyle they sell zombie targets too.
Old 07-27-2013, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe'Bronco View Post
Thats why i go to the livermore gun range. Last time i went out someone had a Feinstein target and they didn't say anything... Every once in a whyle they sell zombie targets too.
I think the target thing is silly but not drive further and deal with heat kind of silly.
Old 07-27-2013, 8:40 PM

I imagine the difference is that regional parks runs chabot (i beleve this is still true)...
Old 07-27-2013, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

They lease the land from the parks which is part of why they're paranoid.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM

Chabot also lets you shoot for free if you have purchased your gun in the last 30 days.
Old 08-04-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpuppet View Post
Chabot also lets you shoot for free if you have purchased your gun in the last 30 days.
thought it was one free range day with the original receipt showing purchase within the last 12 months. They will stamp the receipt to keep you honest
Old 08-04-2013, 5:49 PM
Tactical Mall Ninja
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinH View Post
thought it was one free range day with the original receipt showing purchase within the last 12 months. They will stamp the receipt to keep you honest
From Chabot's website:

Quote:
Bring the original Gunshop purchase receipt for a firearm you bought within the last 12 month period to Chabot and shoot your new firearm for FREE the first time at the Public Rifle or Pistol line. We used to offer this option for repairs also but are unable to do so anymore. We also cannot accept DROS forms anymore. This offer also does not extend to Trap. We also reserve the right to refuse to accept the validity of any paperwork at any time.
Old 08-04-2013, 8:42 PM

Good to know. I thought it was 30 days. I'll have to start digging for old receipts.
Old 08-05-2013, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Thanks Eljay for the info!!! I'm out in San Ramon, so Richmond or BLM would be a bit of a drive. But, looking at Chabot and the Action Pistol Club in San Jose. I'll have to check out cost on the class. Thanks!!!
How much is the class?

I'm in Alamo and interested, could carpool to cut down on costs.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker8baller View Post
How much is the class?

I'm in Alamo and interested, could carpool to cut down on costs.
Here is the link to the San Jose Action Pistol Club. It seems like they cover a lot of ground. It is indoors, so not sure how you feel about that.

Check out the FAQs too. A lot of good info on holsters etc.

http://actionpistolclub.com/
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanks!

Looks like I need to stock up on more pistol mags... this AR build is killing my finances though =\.