Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
Update:

San Diego now accepting CCW applications by mail.
But what do you include with the application. Do you only send in the app without a signature since that needs a witness or do you sign it?

Do you include proof of residency, check, etc?

When it says or in person does in mean with an appointment or just show up and hand it in, again with or without the extra items?
Old 02-24-2014, 4:10 PM

New weapon add procedure...Show up 2nd or 4th weds of any month between 8-11:30 for CCW qual...Present your weapon...fill out paper adding weapon and shoot. Go into Ridgeview and process your paperwork and pay $10 and walk out with updated card and yes folks no new targets...As for trophy target......good luck with that.
Old 02-24-2014, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblaw View Post
New weapon add procedure...Show up 2nd or 4th weds of any month between 8-11:30 for CCW qual...Present your weapon...fill out paper adding weapon and shoot. Go into Ridgeview and process your paperwork and pay $10 and walk out with updated card and yes folks no new targets...As for trophy target......good luck with that.
Thx!

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-24-2014, 5:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofbak View Post
To heck with snail mail and my June 11 appt. I'm walking mine in tomorrow.
You 'n me both!

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 02-24-2014, 5:21 PM

Tried all day today and the line was either busy or ringing non stop

finally got through around 1pm

Appt is on Sep 25

L'histoire lorgne d'exploitation de l'aveugle par le borgne.
Old 02-24-2014, 7:01 PM

I told a relative in SD about the Peruta change. They tried calling much of the morning and could not get through. They finally figured they might as well just go on down. They went around 2pm and were about to schedule a mid-Sept date.

If you're struggling to get through, you might consider going to the SO to schedule.

Remember, as always, be friendly, polite, and courteous. It is not their fault the CCW policy has been what it has, nor it is their fault as to the staffing situation. They're just the lowly workers trying to do their job. Tell them you really appreciate their hard work. I'd also recommend bringing a box of chocolates or something to cheer the overworked staff up - I know when my work stinks and I'm feeling overwhelmed, it's at least nice that I can grab a chocolate when I get up to take a stretch break.
Old 02-24-2014, 7:19 PM

Will showing up in person Speed up the process?
Old 02-24-2014, 8:17 PM

Called at 11:30am and the phone rang for 10 minutes. Got a August 22nd date.
Old 02-24-2014, 9:27 PM
Warmongering Pacifist
CGN Contributor

Heads up to those who have never been to Sheriff's HQ:

They have the same security screening as the courthouses, so leave weapons, tools, cuff keys, etc. in your car.

Americans who are not self-reliant and depend on government to take care of them are not Americans. You cannot depend on government and be free.
Old 02-24-2014, 9:58 PM

Default New Info on SD Sheriffs Site

The info in post 156 is the same as in the following link. Not too much more information is available.

http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

S

It is obvious that SD Sheriff's Office is trying to divide applicants into two distinct groups....

Last edited by Spyder2U; 02-24-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw1990 View Post
But what do you include with the application. Do you only send in the app without a signature since that needs a witness or do you sign it?

Do you include proof of residency, check, etc?

When it says or in person does in mean with an appointment or just show up and hand it in, again with or without the extra items?
I would like to know this as well. I would rather just go to the Sheriffs Dept instead and drop off my application.

Any answers on what they would like with the application when you turn it in/ mail it in would be grateful.

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:08 AM

Got through this morning and spoke to Marissa. They are no longer scheduling interviews. Either mail in the application or go there in person. Changing the procedures every few hours seems a bit Third Worldish.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:14 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Just dropped off my application. They are not taking any money, or anything besides the application. They only want your application with a phone number so they can contact you.

You now need to mail in your application or drop it off in person. They will be calling everyone who made an appointment and will instruct them to mail in or bring in their application. I asked if I could just proceed with my application anyway and take the risk of being denied; the answer was no.

They are holding onto all applications and will not process them "until Peruta becomes final".

Applications from here on out with be "processed in the order they are received" after Peruta is binding. I only filed out sections 1-5 per the instructions, and wrote my phone number in section 7 upon direction of the clerk.

Edit: People are now being told to complete their application. My advice is to complete the form to the best of your ability. They are only being used a placeholder for now. You will need to return anyway to pay your fees, so if your application is incomplete you can complete when your return.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 02-26-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 7:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just dropped off my application. They are not taking any money, or anything besides the application. They only want your application with a phone number so they can contact you.

You now need to mail in your application or drop it off in person. They will be calling everyone who made an appointment and will instruct them to mail in or bring in their application. I asked if I could just process and take the risk of being denied; they answer was no.

They are holding onto all applications and will not proces them "until Peruta becomes final".

There was only 5 people here at 8am when they opened.

So guessing that everyone that called and got an appointment has lost there place in line?

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 02-25-2014, 7:26 AM

Any feel for what "when Peruta becomes final" means?
Old 02-25-2014, 7:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
So guessing that everyone that called and got an appointment has lost there place in line?
That is my understanding. But with policies changing daily who knows what tomorrow will bring...

My current advice is to fill out your application and get it down there ASAP. They really just need your name and phone #, but you can fill it out to the best of your ability.

The information posted here is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice hire an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 02-25-2014 at 7:46 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 7:51 AM

Quote:

You now need to mail in your application or drop it off in person. They will be calling everyone who made an appointment and will instruct them to mail in or bring in their application. I asked if I could just proceed with my application anyway and take the risk of being denied; the answer was no.

They are holding onto all applications and will not proces them "until Peruta becomes final".

Applications from here on out with be "processed in the order they are received" after Peruta is binding. I only filed out sections 1-5 per the instructions, and wrote my phone number in section 7 upon direction of the clerk.
That is unfortunate. Frankly, I'm not surprised. They are being overwhelmed and I'm sure it's quite painful for the clerks and office staff. I heard their phones melted down yesterday. My advice is to hang in there. I have no doubts that once Peruta is finalized that San Diego will process the applications in an expedient and orderly fashion. This is a pivotal time in history--no doubt about that. When I am contacted by them I'll create a thread to let the world know it has begun.

Old 02-25-2014, 8:00 AM

So where on the application are you putting in your phone # for those who are mailing it in? The form says that Section 7 must be filled out in the presence of a licensing official, and I don't see anywhere else to put it. I don't want to get the app trashed for not filling it out correctly, but w/o putting the phone number in there how are they going to contact you?
Old 02-25-2014, 8:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoril View Post
So where on the application are you putting in your phone # for those who are mailing it in? The form says that Section 7 must be filled out in the presence of a licensing official
Put it in section 7. I was instructed to do this by the clerk at the Sheriff's office. The San Diego Sheriff's website actually says to complete the entire application. (Not what the form says)

Old 02-25-2014, 8:09 AM

Was there a lot of people there lorax3?
Old 02-25-2014, 8:09 AM

I guess I'll turn mine in tomorrow.
Did you turn yours in without any signatures?
Old 02-25-2014, 8:10 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellabent View Post
Was there a lot of people there lorax3?
When they opened at 8am there were only 6 of us. We stayed and chatted in the parking lot for another 15-20 minutes and no one else showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Gee View Post
I guess I'll turn mine in tomorrow.
Did you turn yours in without any signatures?
I did not sign anything. Do not worry about screwing up the application. At this point it only serves the purpose of getting a spot in line. It was very informal and the clerk just wanted a way to contact us later to complete the process.

Old 02-25-2014, 8:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I did not sign anything. Do not worry about screwing up the application. At this point it only serves the purpose of getting a spot in line. It was very informal and the clerk just wanted a way to contact us later to complete the process.
So, filled-out but unsigned app, no money… did they want the proof of residency, or did they say to worry about that later (so we can't sneakily move and somehow trick them into issuing anyway?)

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
** I had my San Diego County CCW... you can, too!
Old 02-25-2014, 8:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
So, filled-out but unsigned app, no money… did they want the proof of residency, or did they say to worry about that later (so we can't sneakily move and somehow trick them into issuing anyway?)
Trust me I tried to weasel my way into getting all my stuff submitted. They will only take the application. Nothing else.

Old 02-25-2014, 8:23 AM

thank you for the info
Old 02-25-2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Trust me I tried to weasel my way into getting all my stuff submitted. They will only take the application. Nothing else.
As others have said, thank you for all of the information and doing all of the leg work. It makes it easier having someone provide all of the details.
Old 02-25-2014, 8:35 AM

Is it possible to get away with just putting important info like ssn, address, name, dob, name and phone number?
Old 02-25-2014, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Upon Lorax' recommendation, I went in this morning. I just got back. It's pretty straightforward. I filled the entire application, placed my signature and gave reason as "self-defense".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellabent View Post
Is it possible to get away with just putting important info like ssn, address, name, dob, name and phone number?
Yea, all the really want now is name, phone number and reason. EDIT: According to clerk the reason for "reason" is for placing application in appropriate pile - either "good cause" or "new ruling" i.e. Peruta. I filled out the entire form b/c I had time.

Last edited by Didymus; 02-25-2014 at 8:45 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 9:30 AM

I called them this morning and they told me to disregard the instructions on page 2 that tell you to avoid sections 6-8. They wanted me to fill out the entire form sections 1-8, and they don't care whether or not I sign it.
Old 02-25-2014, 9:48 AM

Seems like different clerks are telling people different things haha.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Hahaj awsome just walk in now good stuff lol.!!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Section 3- Description Of Weapons

What do we fill out if we don't have our CCW weapon yet?
CAn we leave this section blank or should I put my HD pistol info?

Thank you Lorax for getting all this info out to us!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 AM

^leave it blank. It wont matter until your approved anyway.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:35 AM

I spoke to Marissa this morning also.

I asked her some specific questions and she directed me as follows:
  • Fill out all sections of the application (i.e. disregard the instructions stating not to fill out sections 6-8)
  • Sign all the Applicant signature lines
  • Don't worry about the Witness signatures
  • Do not include fees
  • Do not include proof of residency
  • Do not include all those extra pages that have nothing to fill in (instructions, PC quotes, disqualifiers, etc.)

I sent mine in this morning, certified mail, return receipt. The Post Office was *packed* with people sending in their applications!

(Just kidding...)

Anyway, I hope this info helps.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

They are holding onto all applications and will not process them "until Peruta becomes final".

Thank you for all your information and help Lorax. You are freaking awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigBos View Post
I spoke to Marissa this morning also.

I asked her some specific questions and she directed me as follows:
  • Fill out all sections of the application (i.e. disregard the instructions stating not to fill out sections 6-8)
  • Sign all the Applicant signature lines
  • Don't worry about the Witness signatures
  • Do not include fees
  • Do not include proof of residency
  • Do not include all those extra pages that have nothing to fill in (instructions, PC quotes, disqualifiers, etc.)

I sent mine in this morning, certified mail, return receipt. The Post Office was *packed* with people sending in their applications!

(Just kidding...)

Anyway, I hope this info helps.
A check list. I like it. Simple enough for this cave man to understand now haha.

Will be turning my app in tomorrow morning. Should I just use one of their apps at the SO or print my own out? Anyone from North County wanna carpool to the SDSO?

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM

I'm willing to carpool tomorrow, I won't be able to go till after 2 though.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:35 AM

Lorax,

I was about to apply before this ruling. I have what I believe to be a solid "good cause" under the old/current requirements. Do I still list that? Maybe do "Self-defense and..." or just do "Self-defense"? I do have bank statements and all the documentation ready for my good cause. Just curious what you and everyone's opinion is as I'm a bit confused on everything now. Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardcompany View Post
I was about to apply before this ruling. I have what I believe to be a solid "good cause" under the old/current requirements. Do I still list that? Maybe do "Self-defense and..." or just do "Self-defense"? I do have bank statements and all the documentation ready for my good cause. Just curious what you and everyone's opinion is as I've a bit confused on everything now. Thanks
If you actually qualify under the old "good cause" you can still apply under that and they will process your application. They will try REALLY hard to dissuade you, and may even throw you in the Peruta stack if they do not like your good cause. If you don't make regular large cash deposits, have documented financial records and businesses licenses, or cannot articulate threats to your person or property with police reports then you will not qualify. Call them for more info.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM

just got back and everything went smooth
fill out all the application with or without signatures make sure there is a good phone number in section 7.as others have said they didnt want anything else right now.there was no line around 10:30
Clerk said to wait for a phone call once everything is final,i just hope its for an interview not the IRS or some other agency using these public records for there "hit list" lol
Old 02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenosAce View Post
Will be turning my app in tomorrow morning. Should I just use one of their apps at the SO or print my own out?
Not sure if they provide applications there. I would bring your own copy.