Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Old 12-31-2006, 3:08 PM

Default Calguns Newsletter

Hi Everyone,

I grew up here in California and don’t really want to leave, but we can all agree that the firearms laws in California leave much to be desired. It seems to me the only thing to do is to work to change the laws. I’m a newspaper and magazine art director with 15 years experience in the publishing industry and I love guns. So what can I do? Well, with that in mind . . .

It’s been a tremendous year for California gun owners and this has been a result of a real community effort here on Calguns.net and the help of the NRA in California. We have generated quite a bit of momentum as a community and I would like to keep the momentum going, because if we don’t the almost certain future for us in California is more and more restrictive gun laws. One way I know I can help with our efforts, benefit our community and attract others to join in our fight is to create and produce a monthly e-newsletter for (initially) Calguns members and (eventually) all California gun owners. I’ve run this idea by our head janitor and have his support. What I need is the input of the Calguns membership to make the newsletter useful and relevant, and to make this truly a community effort.

HERE’S THE IDEA: Calguns has grown significantly in the last year, and it’s getting more difficult to keep up with the important threads and information posted on the board. A monthly newsletter that would recap important issues raised on the board, and cover current and upcoming legislative actions and concerns would help keep everyone on the same page and keep our efforts focused.

THE MISSION STATEMENT WOULD BE: A monthly newsletter to continue the momentum created by the Calguns community and the NRA in California; to reform California Firearms Law (CFL) and to keep Calguns members and gun owners in California informed of developments with CFL and the Calguns website.

HERE’S THE PLAN: The newsletter would start as a four-page newsletter available through the website and emailed to the members of Calguns. The content would include:
1. A feature or cover story
2. A product review by one of our members of a product important to California gun owners, things like the Monsterman grip or the U-15 stock
3. A “Working with the California NRA Members' Councils” column written by Mike Haas
4. A C&R column,
5. A hunting column
6. A reloading column
7. A Bill Wiese column
8. A news column that would cover important threads and ideas from the board over the last month
9. A how-to column for maintenance, builds, etc.
10. A legal column for updates in the law and how to keep builds legal
11. A listing of gun stores and ranges in CA.
12. I think it would be important to include, in the first issue at least, Bill W.’s California AR/AK “Series” Assault Weapon FAQ.

If, after a few issues, we could get some advertisers on board, the newsletter could eventually be printed, in addition to being emailed, and distributed to ranges and gun stores through out California. If that were to happen, we could potentially enlist gun owners who don’t frequent the web in an organized effort to reform CFL, drive traffic to the site and increase the website’s membership. The newsletter could also be used to organize the next RKBA ballot measure. I expect there could be a first issue by the end of January.

I’m willing to do a lot of the organization and production, but obviously I can’t do it all alone. So what do you have to add? How can we make this happen and make this a real community effort?

You can PM me with ideas or concerns or email me at calguns_newsletter(at)yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legasat View Post
Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.
Old 12-31-2006, 3:22 PM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

Is this to be a standalone website as in separated from Calguns.net? Not a page of CGN but a separate website?

So if CGN goes down for whatever reason, the newsletter is still accessable?

If the Newsletter is prevented from printing for whatever reason, Calguns.net is not by association also shutdown?

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 12-31-2006, 3:24 PM

It would be sent out by email to members and also be available on the Calguns.net website, not it's own website.

Quote:
Glocks blow up, SIGs have a high bore axis, Beretta locking blocks break, Ruger is anti-gun, 1911s are unreliable, and HK hates you. Get over it.
Old 12-31-2006, 3:36 PM

I think this is a great idea... spreading the word is what we should be doing anyway.
Old 12-31-2006, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

I think this is a great idea and that it should be put in front of the site administrators as they are the ones that own the site. An e-mail 1-2 pg format would work well and as mentioned earlier, gun ranges and gun shops could print it out for distribution.
Old 12-31-2006, 4:58 PM

I also think it's a great idea. Some more comments:
Quote:
8. A news column that would cover important threads and ideas from the board over the last month
This would help a lot of the mostly-lurkers (like me) that are interested in calguns.net, but don't come here too often. If the electronic version of the newsletter had links to the discussions, that would be even better.
Quote:
4. A C&R column,
6. A reloading column
Since I don't practice either of the above two, I don't know much about them. But, are the rules for C&R and reloading different for California that they merit their own section? Or is it more because a large number of calgunners follow those forums?
Old 12-31-2006, 5:01 PM

Absolutely, a stellar idea! This would allow a viral capability to educate other like-minded individuals about firearms laws and personal freedoms within CA.
Old 12-31-2006, 7:22 PM

+++1111
Old 12-31-2006, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_action
7. A Bill Wiese column
Does Bill W. know about this?
Old 12-31-2006, 7:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt
Nevermind.
Old 12-31-2006, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtt

Yes he does

Quote:
Old 12-31-2006, 7:39 PM

Sign me up! For the .pdf version, please.
Old 12-31-2006, 7:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

We can add AM and IC to the mailing list so they can keep up with us.

I like the idea, 2007 is going to be fun.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 12-31-2006, 7:57 PM

Hey guys, I make Yearbooks for schools, so I have a lot of experience with page design, and a bit of experience with graphic design. I work with Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. which would be perfect for making pdf's and such. Let me know if I can be of any help, sounds like a great idea.
Old 12-31-2006, 8:47 PM
Veteran Member

I'll second or third the idea of a PDF version for printing.. so shooting ranges can get the word out... and people can find calguns.net from the printout. Great idea all around.

I just hope you can plug all that into the newsletter, that is a lot of columns your talking about writing each month.
Look at the tyranny of party -- at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty -- a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes -- and which turns voters into chattles, slaves, rabbits, and all the while their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction... Mark Twain

Old 01-01-2007, 2:31 AM

pm me for my email info if u do decide to do this.
Old 01-01-2007, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

I'll volunteer to do some writing and/or editing for the rag. I’ve been pissed at the horrid writing found in gun mags and even books for a while now. Time to put up or shut up I guess.
Old 01-01-2007, 8:24 AM

I like it. My $0.02 for the first issue would be to include a legal resource list or a "what to do if you're stopped in a place that's legal to shoot with a legal firearm and you're arrested on AW-related charges". It would be a nice reference for folks to keep in their range bag. Mike or Bill's cell phone numbers would do nicely
Old 01-01-2007, 8:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

This thing doesn't have to have a big budget. It just needs intersted parties to receive it as a .pdf and out of the goodness of their own hearts print it and distribute it. Great idea.

I think I know where you can find an advertiser.
Old 01-01-2007, 9:41 AM

Go forward with this alternate medium in support for our agenda. This is not a splinting of our resources so much as a multiplying our communication paths to those who want the education this forum provides. We've got so much talent here it would be a waste of these resources not to inundate the CA-DOJ and the anti-gunners with the truth any way we can.
Old 01-01-2007, 9:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRex21
I think it's a fantastic idea as long as it's not chock full of a bunch of nutjob conspiracy drek or cop-bigot puke. I can see it very easily transforming into simply a bash rag.
I second that. Lets keep it simple. Talk about guns, CA gun laws, and CA gun shooting info. Immigration, conspiracy theories, and other topics can be discussed elsewhere.
Old 01-01-2007, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms
I second that. Lets keep it simple. Talk about guns, CA gun laws, and CA gun shooting info. Immigration, conspiracy theories, and other topics can be discussed elsewhere.

Very much so, that's what I had in mind.

And thanks everyone for your input, there have been some great replies.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2007, 9:42 AM
Janitors assistant

Great idea! Pm me if you would like me to contribute.
Old 01-02-2007, 9:52 AM
In Memoriam

I would be willing to offer my help however it is needed. I can help format, edit, design, offer assistance in editorial or managerial support, or help with distribution or printing.

I would like to see something like this become a regularly printed quarterly or bi-monthly that could be made available to Gun Shops, Gun Ranges, and subscriptions free of charge, or based on donations.

Personally, I don't see there being enough content to be done on a monthly basis, but bi-monthly or quarterly would be most feasible.
Old 01-02-2007, 4:27 PM

Default how about a firearms competition column?

There are several members here who compete in IDPA, 3-gun, tactical rifle, Garand, High Power, clays, skeet, etc., so how about a firearms competition column? Hopefully, this will generate interest in partcipating in firearms competition so gunowners can get more out of their hardware.
Old 01-02-2007, 4:38 PM
Administrator

I'll provide an off-site backup/download location on thegunwiki if desired. It's good at warehousing stuff.

Side note, we should bear in mind this situation. I don't know how many of you guys are in the same boat I'm in, but I've got three or four friends who can't be bothered to read Calguns regularly, who hassle me once every few weeks for "Ok, what's happened on Calguns since the last time I asked?"

In my opinion, this newsletter should primarily be oriented towards providing a "digest version" of Calguns' happenings.

Let's not get outside of Calguns' core competency, which is keeping tabs on new California-specific stuff. There's plenty of generic "product review" and "monthly how-to" magazines out there. The aforementioned list of matches and such, however, is quite CA-relevant and is a good idea.

I would also advise an "LEO Corner" specifically for police officers, as pertains to new developments (i.e. what makes this legal, etc). The premise is that if you get stopped by one cop, and his partner disagrees with him and says your rifle/M2/whatever is legal, it may help your cause if the guy on your side has already read why it's not illegal.
Old 01-02-2007, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76
I'll provide an off-site backup/download location on thegunwiki if desired. It's good at warehousing stuff.

Side note, we should bear in mind this situation. I don't know how many of you guys are in the same boat I'm in, but I've got three or four friends who can't be bothered to read Calguns regularly, who hassle me once every few weeks for "Ok, what's happened on Calguns since the last time I asked?"

In my opinion, this newsletter should primarily be oriented towards providing a "digest version" of Calguns' happenings.

Let's not get outside of Calguns' core competency, which is keeping tabs on new California-specific stuff. There's plenty of generic "product review" and "monthly how-to" magazines out there. The aforementioned list of matches and such, however, is quite CA-relevant and is a good idea.

I would also advise an "LEO Corner" specifically for police officers, as pertains to new developments (i.e. what makes this legal, etc). The premise is that if you get stopped by one cop, and his partner disagrees with him and says your rifle/M2/whatever is legal, it may help your cause if the guy on your side has already read why it's not illegal.

Good points. I do think, however, product reviews of California-specific products would be in step with the mission statement and that's what I had in mind for product reviews.

The overriding editorial focus should be "what does this mean or how does it effect us in California" and it should be an easy way for people to keep up on Calguns happenings as, you mentioned.

Keep the ideas coming . . .

Quote:
Old 01-02-2007, 5:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Good points. I do think, however, product reviews of California-specific products would be in step with the mission statement and that's what I had in mind for product reviews.
Ah, excellent. I just didn't want to see a half-hearted attempt at "Let's review the same rifle that American Rifleman is going to review!"

On a side note, another useful column would be a watch on the DOJ "safe handgun" list. New additions, and pending renewal dates, along with statement (if any) from the manufacturer as to whether or not they intend to renew.
Old 01-02-2007, 8:06 PM

This should have been done 7 years ago

I would be happy to promote it. Time is of the escence we need to organize and move forward without losing momentum.

-Thomas Paine
Old 01-02-2007, 8:07 PM

Default I love this idea...

If you decide to use new media or not, there is still a lot of value in something written in black and white, that you can actually hold in your hands. Plus the thought of Calguns.News in every public library between San Diego and Crescent City...

If the choice is a commercial print job, I'd be more than happy to help! Specially since I work in the industry doing design and prepress (which are the steps that need to happen between design and ink hitting paper). Also if you need printing plates and it's a size we carry, I could make and donate them. When it comes to finding a print shop, I can help.

Best,
Frank
Old 01-03-2007, 5:27 PM
C3 Leader

Location: Flagstaff, Arizona up the hill at 7,000ft. originally from Minnesota, this ain't snow, its flurries

If you have room, it'd be nice to see some of the articles or a brief of the times guns protected the intended victims. Like the NRA's American Rifleman mag has up front "The Armed Citizen" but use only California incidents.

I'm sure with all of us spread throughout the state we can keep an eye out for such occurances.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Picnic Time
Old 01-05-2007, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member

Double Action:

You have email.

I'd like to help in any way possible.
Old 01-06-2007, 5:21 AM
C3 Leader

Include in every issue the Senate & Assembly urls and stress the ability to listen to the proceedings.

California Senate audio/TV
http://www.senate.ca.gov/~newsen/audiotv/audiotv.htp

California state Assembly listening device
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/committee...efaulttext.asp

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 02-04-2007, 11:06 AM

Okay. I'm ready to get this newsletter off the ground (sorry for the lag, January was a bit hellish).

For everyone who has PMed me about wanting to help, if you're still interested would you please email me at "calguns_newsletter(at)yahoo.com"? I going to need a lot of help with this to make it happen, and it will be easier for me to keep track of everything via email.

What we need are writers, editors/proofreaders, and a designer/production person.

I would like to send out a rough dummy layout to people interested in writing, editing, and design/production for ideas, feedback and assignments.

Also, if any gun stores/FFLs or producers of California specific guns and or accessories would like to put in an advertisement (first one's free!) please email me. I can send you specs, or if you don’t have an ad ready, or the ability to make your own ad, we will work something out for you.

Thanks.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Okay. I'm ready to get this newsletter off the ground (sorry for the lag, January was a bit hellish).

For everyone who has PMed me about wanting to help, if you're still interested would you please email me at "calguns_newsletter(at)yahoo.com"? I going to need a lot of help with this to make it happen, and it will be easier for me to keep track of everything via email.

What we need are writers, editors/proofreaders, and a designer/production person.

I would like to send out a rough dummy layout to people interested in writing, editing, and design/production for ideas, feedback and assignments.

Also, if any gun stores/FFLs or producers of California specific guns and or accessories would like to put in an advertisement (first one's free!) please email me. I can send you specs, or if you don’t have an ad ready, or the ability to make your own ad, we will work something out for you.

Thanks.

I replied to your email.

As I said, I'm terribly sorry for the delayed response, I was out of town on business and got back very late last night.

Today was jam-packed playing catch-up from being gone.

I'll get right on what you sent me.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2007, 5:08 PM

Thanks to everyone who has offered to help and special thanks to those that have agreed to help out.

I'm am still looking for some people to help.

Here's what's needed

1. Compile a listing of ranges and gunstores/FFLs with their contact info, address, hours etc., and note whether they're OLL friendly.

2. Gun show calendar

3. Someone interested in doing range reviews.

4. Bill W.'s FAQ needs to be edited down to 1500 words give or take, I don’t have the actual number in front of me now, but I’ll get it.

5. Writers for features and product reviews.

Email is the best way to contact me if you're interested

calguns_newsletter(at)yahoo.com

Thanks

Quote:
Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
C3 Leader

How's the newsletter coming along?

Whats needed?

Any projections for a first read?

Vick

Picnic Time
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM

PM or email me and I can give you an update.

Quote:
Old 03-20-2007, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_action View Post
Keep the ideas coming . . .
Does Calguns have someone versed in political commentary?

How about a section identifying our fine CA politicians at the state level, and their individual voting records re: all things firearm related? Someone willing to write a regular column detailing important election and legislative news? Offer perspective re: PRO-Gun CA Legislators and ANTI-Gun CA Legislators as a point of reference and support? 2008 Presidential choices based in issues?

Just my .02 cents. After all, knowledge is power.

-voodoo
Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Just wanted to say that this is an incredible idea and it should take off like wildfire.

What a great service!