Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Talking Semi-Auto shotgun suggestion for my wife

Hello.

First of all, please excuse me if this isn't the proper place to ask this question.

Now jumping to the actual question, what would be appropriate for my wife who is 5 feet tall and weigh 100 lbs?

I'be been advise to buy a 20 ga semi autof or a small frame person, but my wife thinks that she can handle the difference in recoil. I'm new to shooting myself and neither myself or my wife have ever shot semi auto shotgun of any caliber.

My wife is fairly weak? I guess? She hasn't been able to beat any of her friends in arms wrestling, if thats relevant is any way, so the weight of the gun is a bit of concern as well.
Old 03-21-2016, 1:12 PM
Calguns Addict

This is what I know, others will likely know more, but here go's.

My wife is much the size of yours with a couple extra inch's in height.

Not unlike yours, she dislikes those heavy guns, and harsh recoil.

My choice for her will end up being a Rem 1100 20, why ?
1. because it's lighter than many (most) 2. and being it's gas operated instead of inertia operated, recoil is mitigated to fairly soft recoil, in comparison.

Now finding a good used one will be pricey ($5-$600 +) as I've found, and new is well more.

Hope this give some help.
Old 03-21-2016, 1:18 PM

If you have the cash to spend buy a benelli
If you want a cheaper bulletproof shotgun buy a remington 1100!
Old 03-21-2016, 2:38 PM

She sounds pretty small, but you'd be amazed at how many kids and smaller women do just fine with 12 gauges. Light loads aren't hard to find.

The first question should be though, what does she intend to do with it? Hunt? Home defense? Three gun? Sporting clays? Trap? Lots of those activities lean towards different shotgun configurations.

I always suggest to let her try as many different guns as possible before you buy one. I come from the trap world, so I'm biased that way, but fit is so very important in that. You can take a gun that fits poorly, even if it's the right length, and get hammered with it, or one that fits well and you'll never notice the recoil.

They do make stocks in shortened lengths in a lot of guns, so finding one that fits her is totally doable, it just may take a bit of effort. Where are you? We may be able to help you find a clays range near you where she can try out different guns.

Personally, I like Beretta autos. The 390 is popular for a reason, but I shoot 391s. The 300 is still being made, and it's a good value. The A400 is also popular. Remington 1100s are also a common auto to see at the trap range, as well as a Fabarm. The older wood-stocked Weatherby SA-08s have a good reputation, but I've had bad experiences with the newer ones.

Don't pick for her though. Let her pick, she needs to have a gun that feels good to her and that she's confident in.
Old 03-21-2016, 3:05 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I went through the same dilemma, haven't tried it out at the range yet, but here is what I've found.
  • 20g autos don't show up as frequently in the marketplace, and more often than not they are pricier models.

Many people recommended going 12g with reduced recoil loads

I ended up getting a somewhat inexpensive 20g pump. It is an older model and a bit heavier, so that may mitigate some recoil even though it isn't an auto.

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 03-21-2016 at 3:43 PM..
Old 03-21-2016, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

If I may, I would ask about strength, age and prior shotgun experience.
What area do you live in? (this is for possibly recommending a place to recommend a range with a good rental stock.)

As always it's best if she selects her own shotgun after trying some rentals. If she is brand new to the sport and expensive gun will likely only cause frustration if she doesn't enjoy the experience, and doesn't want to use it. If she likes shotgunning, then after learning the sport and developing a trained eye, learning how she likes to mount the gun, and has a knowledgeable instructor fit her for the stock, she can spend the money for a more pleasing gun if she desires.

As a note when I first started shooting shotgun, I had bought a ATI Semi Auto based on the knowledge I wanted a semi auto, and the $299 price. I went to the guy here in the Shotgun forum that teaches the So. Cal Clinics. He and his assistant are two of the best teachers I have ever had in any sport. By the end of that session with the wrong choke tube in the gun I was regularly hitting targets with the regulars that were there to fine tune their competitive shooting. A big key was they fitted each us, modifying the stock with padding and blue tape if necessary before we fired a shell.

If she is of slight build, 5'6" or less and light build, you are likely going to find a youth shotgun is a better fit. There are shotguns designed for women, but the price is high, and custom fitting is still a great choice.

Here is a link to a good article on the subject, and a suggestion for a couple of guns you might want to explore.

http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotgun-l...-shotguns.html

TriStar Viper G2 Youth
TriStar’s contribution to the youth shotgun market is the Viper G2 youth, a smooth-cycling semiautomatic available in black synthetic, wood, or Realtree Advantage Timber. It comes with a 24-inch barrel and a 12- or 20-gauge action, three Beretta-style choke tubes, a Soft Touch recoil pad and a chrome-lined chamber and barrel. It’s light, too. Weighing only 5.7 pounds for the camouflage model, the Viper G2 Youth allows your young partner to stay in the woods as long as you do. With an MSRP topping out at $579, buying an autoloader for your kid no longer requires a second job.
MSRP: $579
Old 03-21-2016, 4:45 PM

Remington versamax tactical I have and its an awesome shotgun its light in weight also in recoil and very reliable i never had a jam with it no matter what ammo I use I purchased mine here for $700
Old 03-21-2016, 6:13 PM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

wow, that is quite the shotgun for women article, grantar!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 03-22-2016, 5:27 PM

Lightweight shotguns= OUCH. Much easier to handle a little extra weight than the recoil from a light shotgun. I have a RIA m5 short barreled shotgun I bought to keep in my truck, weighs around 7#... even with normal cheap sport rounds it gets painful after a box or so, and if you load HD buckshot or slug in it, you won't shoot more than the 5 it holds!
Old 03-24-2016, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
She sounds pretty small, but you'd be amazed at how many kids and smaller women do just fine with 12 gauges. Light loads aren't hard to find.

The first question should be though, what does she intend to do with it? Hunt? Home defense? Three gun? Sporting clays? Trap? Lots of those activities lean towards different shotgun configurations.

I always suggest to let her try as many different guns as possible before you buy one. I come from the trap world, so I'm biased that way, but fit is so very important in that. You can take a gun that fits poorly, even if it's the right length, and get hammered with it, or one that fits well and you'll never notice the recoil.

They do make stocks in shortened lengths in a lot of guns, so finding one that fits her is totally doable, it just may take a bit of effort. Where are you? We may be able to help you find a clays range near you where she can try out different guns.

Personally, I like Beretta autos. The 390 is popular for a reason, but I shoot 391s. The 300 is still being made, and it's a good value. The A400 is also popular. Remington 1100s are also a common auto to see at the trap range, as well as a Fabarm. The older wood-stocked Weatherby SA-08s have a good reputation, but I've had bad experiences with the newer ones.

Don't pick for her though. Let her pick, she needs to have a gun that feels good to her and that she's confident in.
I agree with all of this.

I started shooting double barrel 12g shotguns in a school skeet team when I was 12 years old. I was maybe 5'1 or 5'2 and 100 pounds soaking wet and yes, I'm a girl. These were heavy guns (double barrel with 26-28" barrels).

The recoil is fine if you are holding the shotgun properly (leaned into it and not trying to counter balance the weight by leaning backwards - a common noob mistake). I usually shoot with a hoodie on which adds a good bit of padding. Having a nice rubber pad on the end of the stock helps a TON.

Some shotguns might be heavy after a long time of shooting since you mentioned she's weak. But you can lighten them up by going with a synthetic stock/foregrip and also a shorter barrel if being used for home defense as well.
I'm 5'5 130 now and not really super strong but not very weak, at least I'd like to think. I'm fine with heavy shotguns. But after a couple of hours I do start getting fatigued but in fairness so do my male shooting buddies.

Main thing, let her pick it out!

EDIT: my forum avatar is me shooting trap with my 26" Mossberg 835 Ultimag.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 03-24-2016, 3:12 PM

My wife is 5'1 and 105lbs.

She can handle our 12g pump no problem.

With a semi auto action soaking up some of that recoil I would think your wife will be more than fine. JMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleseed
A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.
Old 04-01-2016, 1:13 PM

Default Same Story, Different Gun

Yah, same story,

No one should choose a gun for anyone else, no matter whom or what type of gun.

Women wishing to choose a shotgun should go to a shotgun safety class with hands-on shooting time, before making a choice. Women on Target, sponsored by NRA is a good choice and there are private shotgun classes at most ranges for trap and skeet.

After that, a woman should try to shoot as many sizes and types as she can. I haven't heard of ranges that rent shotguns, but I imagine they do.

Our Resident Expert in the Women's Forum on shotguns is Savannah, I think. She really knows her stuff. If you PM her here on Calguns, I'm sure you'll learn a lot. She also posts a lot on the Shotgun Forum on Calguns, and there might be a whole thread there on how to choose a shotgun.

BUT, having said all that, a woman should research, test and choose her own gun, every single time. No one can choose a gun for you, anymore than anyone can choose a bra for you. Ya gotta do it yourself.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 04-01-2016, 3:23 PM

She may want to shoot a 20 and 12 gauge even if they're loaner or pump shotguns so that she can at least get an idea of what she can handle in terms of recoil.

I have a Benelli Super Sport II and after it was properly broken in, it could handle reduced loads just fine. The inertial action works very reliably. It's a great, svelte gun with manageable recoil and because it doesn't have a gas tube, the fore-end is slimmer and easier to grip that other comparable guns (which may be important for people with smaller hands such as women and children).

In general, gas guns do have softer recoil but IMO inertial guns more than make up for it with their quick handling and reliability. The biggest problem with Benelli is the price but if the recoil is not the number one factor in choosing the gun, then it may be worth taking a look at one.

Last edited by Nopal; 04-01-2016 at 3:26 PM..
Old 04-01-2016, 3:25 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Try the Remington 11-87, they also have a youth model with shorter length of pull.
Old 04-06-2016, 3:31 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

my wife is 5'1" and about 105 lbs

She shoots a Weatherby SA-08 Youth Model in 20g

great gun, she handles it well, and can shoot it all day without recoil issues.
Old 04-06-2016, 4:03 PM

I would try finding a range that will rent them out for you to try. I started shotgunning when I was 16 and a scant 95lbs. I tried pretty much every type of shotgun and I'll tell you the difference in recoil between a 20ga and 12ga isn't as much as you'd think. When you don't weigh much, they're all going to kick a lot. The biggest difference you can make is learning to have a proper stance, hold, and cheek weld. Then it's a matter of figuring out which one you shoot well with.

Having said that, the Weatherby SA08 and Beretta A400 ($$$$) would be good ones to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywhuh86 View Post
Hello.

First of all, please excuse me if this isn't the proper place to ask this question.

Now jumping to the actual question, what would be appropriate for my wife who is 5 feet tall and weigh 100 lbs?

I'be been advise to buy a 20 ga semi autof or a small frame person, but my wife thinks that she can handle the difference in recoil. I'm new to shooting myself and neither myself or my wife have ever shot semi auto shotgun of any caliber.

My wife is fairly weak? I guess? She hasn't been able to beat any of her friends in arms wrestling, if thats relevant is any way, so the weight of the gun is a bit of concern as well.
Old 04-06-2016, 6:23 PM

Get a Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge - $999. It won't be uncomfortable for her with standard loads. There is nothing better for the money.

Frank
Old 04-06-2016, 6:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

VEPR12
Old 04-06-2016, 6:45 PM

Light loads ! I have four 12ga shotguns. My wife loves my Beretta with low recoil / light loads. In fact, I love the light loads as well ! I've taken several defensive shotgun classes. When I take a shotgun class, I always use Federal's Low Recoil LE Flight Control Buckshot. In fact, some schools have started putting it on their ammo lists. Both of you should try it.
Old 04-06-2016, 8:37 PM

Beretta 1301, very easy to handle and its a 12ga

$799 from us
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Berett.../j131t18le.htm

Warehouse open to LE/MIL Only
3515 W Post Rd, Ste 125
Las Vegas, NV 89118
Old 04-06-2016, 8:49 PM

my wife is a bit taller and not much muscle mass up top. First time out with a loaner beretta a300 12 Ga. She stopped shooting after 17 shots . Couldn't hold gun up any longer even as I was also holding gun between shots. Recoil was not a problem. After a few trips she was lasting 2 rounds unassisted. Typical day is 2 trap and 1skeet with her own A300 and she's ready to eat. What's not to love.
Old 04-06-2016, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Try a VersaMax, its just about the softest shooting 12GA I have shot.

Call him run-like-hell-when-shtf-guy or dial-911-guy but NEVER call an unarmed man "Security".
Old 04-09-2016, 9:30 AM

Shotguns are a tricky buy, especially for someone else. You have to think about length of pull, cast, pitch, weight, drop and so it goes. To try and buy a shotgun for someone else and have it fit so they can shoot it correct is (pardon the pun) a shot in the dark.

If you wife is totally new to shotguns there are a couple of things to consider. Have her shoulder a gun you might have or go to the store and have her shoulder a few. Check her eye dominance first. If she is right handed and right eye dominant or left and left, you are good. Have her shoulder your gun, have her close the non dominant eye and ask her what she sees. If she tells you the back of the receiver you know that won't fit her without adjustment. If she rolls her head over the top of the stock, it doesn't fit her. If her arm holding the for arm is stretched out to hold the forearm or her hand is holding the receiver the LOP is probably off. These are all the things you can do to start to figure out what she needs but bottom line is a shotgun will probably need to be fit to her. Most shotguns (especially with a field stock) don't fit women. A Monte Carlo or better yet, adjustable comb will most likely be better. She does not need a 20 gauge because she is smaller. She needs a good fitting gun. A well fit 12 is far softer to shoot than an ill fitting .20.

I started with a Beretta 3901. I am smaller with a shorter LOP. The old 3901 was adjustable in cast, LOP and had an adjustable comb. I went to Perrazi and I butchered the gun to fit me. Big mistake. I bought a Beretta 682 gold and it was a mule and I had to butcher it to fit. Didn't learn from my first mistake. So I bought a Ceasar Guerini Syren for women. I had to cut an adjustable comb in the Monte Carlo stock to have it fit. I am now shooting a Beretta A400 parallel target, (yes a smurf gun) and it fit me out of the box.

So.....bottom line. Don't make all my mistakes. They were expensive. Go to a gun fitter or the very least someone who knows how to fit a shotgun. Find out what she needs and what she feels comfortable with in her hands and shouldered. Move on from there.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 05-06-2016, 1:29 PM

did you buythe shotgun??? if not wait till next month and go to the rahauges shootin fair and she can try a lot of guns and find what she wants not what other people say to buy
Old 06-01-2016, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

I'm surprised no one has asked this. What is the shotgun for? Home defense, skeet, trap, waterfowl hunting, upland game hunting? My recommendations would differ based on your answer.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 06-07-2016, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
I'm surprised no one has asked this. What is the shotgun for? Home defense, skeet, trap, waterfowl hunting, upland game hunting? My recommendations would differ based on your answer.
Right !! Good question and no one really asked. And different purposes do make a difference in choice.

When I was selecting my first shotgun, I wanted a reliable brand for a reasonable price. I wanted a wood stock, because I knew I would need the LOP adjusted. I wanted to shoot trap, so needed a longish barrel, but also wanted it to double for home defense. and I wanted a barrel length that wouldn't tire me out when holding it up. I wanted semi automatic gas operated because the gas eats up the kick. And I wanted the gun to hold more than two rounds at a time, for HD purposes (with the waterfowl plug out it will hole 1 in the chamber and three in the magazine). Put all in the blender, buzz it up a bit and the Weatherby SA )* came out as first choice. I went to the LGS and shouldered all their 12 ga's including the Weatherby and it won hands down. For ME.

Other people will have other purposes, but that was my reasoning. Also I had expert help and advice from a close friend who has been shooting trap for 30 years. Good to have expert advice and a talented fitter for LOP.

Funny story, one time, early on, Savannah and I were out shooting trap. Well, she was shooting and I was learning. In the process we each leaned our shotguns on a rack, while taking a breather. My $700 Weatherby just next to her megabuck Beretta (which had me drooling, but I have a budget).
Next thing I know, she walks up to the rack, picks up my shotgun, walks off with it and fired two shots before she figured out it wasn't her gun. But she DID know from shooting it, even if she didn't notice that they looked a whole lot alike. She's about my stature, so it wasn't a horrible fit, and we had a good laugh about it.

One thing about semi automatic shotguns is you can't break them open when empty. And there's no real way to TELL that they're empty unless you put a flag in the action. So, you gotta be REAL careful to keep them pointed down (or up, according to the range rules). If I wanted another trap gun, I'd get a longer barrel in a model that would break open, just so people wouldn't freak out about it not breaking open...
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.