Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 04-26-2018, 7:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question Need an I-Phone expert or 3...

Wife and I are switching from Android to Apple phones. So, question is does an I-phone come chock-full of bloatware like the typical Android device.

That said, if we went direct to Apple, would we see less bloatware than upgrading at T-Mo?

Don't want a discussion as to Android v. Apple...we're both Mac-Booked, I-Padded, etc., as is most of our family. Integration appears to be perfectly seamless, more or less.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 04-26-2018, 7:12 PM

Apple slows down your phone for you automatically, no extra bloatware needed.
Old 04-26-2018, 7:25 PM

Yes. I got iphone from Apple, nothing preinstalled from Tmobile (Tmobile app and whatever they are installing nowadays). However, you might find better discounts at the tmo store.
Old 04-26-2018, 8:16 PM
King- Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Wife and I are switching from Android to Apple phones. So, question is does an I-phone come chock-full of bloatware like the typical Android device.

That said, if we went direct to Apple, would we see less bloatware than upgrading at T-Mo?

Don't want a discussion as to Android v. Apple...we're both Mac-Booked, I-Padded, etc., as is most of our family. Integration appears to be perfectly seamless, more or less.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.
No bloatware that I’ve detected.

If you’re already using macs, pads & other i stuff, you’ll love the transition. Use the family iCloud plan too.

In before the86d thread crap.

Last edited by therealnickb; 04-26-2018 at 8:25 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 9:40 PM

No bloatware comes loaded on any iPhone from any source. You can choose to "delete" (really it just hides) some of the Apple software apps, like Stocks and Weather. Get the iPhone wherever you can find the best deal. Most places will also be able to help with transferring your contacts and such.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyworm View Post
Apple slows down your phone for you automatically, no extra bloatware needed.
I shoulda' been ready for that.

uch:

I can say my transition to a Mac Book from Windoze did take a bit of time...if I do have to use a Windows app on the Mac, I just open the virtual box and the Mac turns into a pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPFreedom View Post
Yes. I got iphone from Apple, nothing preinstalled from Tmobile (Tmobile app and whatever they are installing nowadays). However, you might find better discounts at the tmo store.
Apple direct and TMO are the same price, down to the penny. Wife is looking for a 6 and I for a 6 or maybe 7 with better camera. The only "deals" are for pre-owned phones...having worked for TMO for 7 years when we first got to Idaho, I'd definitely forget buying a "factory refurbished" phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
No bloatware that I’ve detected.

If you’re already using macs, pads & other i stuff, you’ll love the transition. Use the family iCloud plan too.

In before the86d thread crap.
I did a little homework a while ago...apparently apple has a no-bs policy for bs programs on new phones...Other than using Apple's "Move to IOS" app on both phones, it appears to be seamless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Seth View Post
No bloatware comes loaded on any iPhone from any source. You can choose to "delete" (really it just hides) some of the Apple software apps, like Stocks and Weather. Get the iPhone wherever you can find the best deal. Most places will also be able to help with transferring your contacts and such.
Seth, thanks. As I wrote above, no "deals" I can find. Verizon and ATT give you a free phone, a new 2-year contract, and a monthly rp charge more than TMO which covers the "free" phone.

TMO's contract says you are obligated to remain a customer until the phone is paid for. They also separate what you pay for the phone v rp when you get the bill. You can make monthly payments depending on your credit ability...we'll just put it on AMEX and get another year's warranty added.

Thanks for all the replies.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Old 04-27-2018, 11:15 AM

WOOT has 6 and 6s refurb phones now from $155 to $250.

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/...f=w_cnt_wp_3_1
Old 04-28-2018, 4:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Biggest drawback: all your cables need to be replaced (with extras you currently don't have), music/movie transfer require iTunes (in non-logical folders, randomly renamed), and you'll have to "purchase" MANY the useful apps (for higher prices than $0-to-$3).

At least they will swap batteries "for a fee", now, when they NERF the CPUs in like ~2 years.

Can you drop a any ringtone (even from an MP3) on an iPhruity-dev. these days, or do you have to buy them?

Last edited by the86d; 04-28-2018 at 4:07 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Biggest drawback: all your cables need to be replaced (with extras you currently don't have), music/movie transfer require iTunes (in non-logical folders, randomly renamed), and you'll have to "purchase" MANY the useful apps (for higher prices than $0-to-$3).

At least they will swap batteries "for a fee", now, when they NERF the CPUs in like ~2 years.

Can you drop a any ringtone (even from an MP3) on an iPhruity-dev. these days, or do you have to buy them?
iPhones come with a cable just like android phones. iTunes is not required but it has a required driver in it to make some other programs work. There are not iTune ways to do things. I hate iTunes but with the click of my mouse it uses the folders I keep my stuff in instead of the apple default. You do have to buy apps that aren't free. Apples lockdown of the device makes it pretty hard to load stolen apps like you can on android. I have never used a paid ringtone on any apple phone I have owned, including the original iPhone. I make my own.

If you would ever make the mistake of letting iTunes catalog your music you will then get to spend a lot of time fixing the folder nightmare it creates.
Old 04-28-2018, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

No bloatware that I've ever found. However there are apps from Apple that I never use. Most can be deleted if the bother you. Or, you can simply place them all in a folder to ignore.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 04-28-2018, 2:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
WOOT has 6 and 6s refurb phones now from $155 to $250.
Refurbished phones are not in the running...see post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

No movies or music on existing phones...on-the-road music is on memory cards as both vehicles accept them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post
iPhones come with a cable just like android phones. iTunes is not required but it has a required driver in it to make some other programs work. There are not iTune ways to do things. I hate iTunes but with the click of my mouse it uses the folders I keep my stuff in instead of the apple default. You do have to buy apps that aren't free. Apples lockdown of the device makes it pretty hard to load stolen apps like you can on android. I have never used a paid ringtone on any apple phone I have owned, including the original iPhone. I make my own.

If you would ever make the mistake of letting iTunes catalog your music you will then get to spend a lot of time fixing the folder nightmare it creates.
Tks for the iTunes heads-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
No bloatware that I've ever found. However there are apps from Apple that I never use. Most can be deleted if the bother you. Or, you can simply place them all in a folder to ignore.
Once again, thanks for the knowledge.

Old 06-10-2018, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post

Seth, thanks. As I wrote above, no "deals" I can find. Verizon and ATT give you a free phone, a new 2-year contract, and a monthly rp charge more than TMO which covers the "free" phone.

TMO's contract says you are obligated to remain a customer until the phone is paid for. They also separate what you pay for the phone v rp when you get the bill. You can make monthly payments depending on your credit ability...we'll just put it on AMEX and get another year's warranty added.

Thanks for all the replies.
This isn’t really about the phone...

Based on your location info above, like you, I have homes in Tracy & Boise.

People I work with that have every carrier but Verizon, all mention no service & dropped calls (in the Bay Area!). I say I have Verizon & have very, very little issue with that. Then they say how expensive Verizon is & I point out that they are paying for service and not getting it. Where’s the value in that? I don’t wanna be between Reno & Winnemucca and not have service. Or worse yet, that long stretch of desolation between Winnemucca and Caldwell.

I’m not a Verizon fanboy by any means but service is the most important consideration for me. We do get a discount through work which helps.

-Rick
Old 06-10-2018, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
This isn’t really about the phone...

Based on your location info above, like you, I have homes in Tracy & Boise.

People I work with that have every carrier but Verizon, all mention no service & dropped calls (in the Bay Area!). I say I have Verizon & have very, very little issue with that. Then they say how expensive Verizon is & I point out that they are paying for service and not getting it. Where’s the value in that? I don’t wanna be between Reno & Winnemucca and not have service. Or worse yet, that long stretch of desolation between Winnemucca and Caldwell.

I’m not a Verizon fanboy by any means but service is the most important consideration for me. We do get a discount through work which helps.

-Rick
When I moved from OC to AZ, I had sprint. I would frequent drive back and forth. Sprint only worked up to about 29 palms and was junk for the rest of the trip with zero service, zero text capabilities etc.

Verizon is the only service that works the entire trip and works everywhere in arizona that I've been to. I dont know anyone who doesn't have verizon.
Old 06-10-2018, 9:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

When you get to spotty connection locations with iPhone make sure to turn off LTE. You’ll get better coverage since iPhone does not like to drop back to 4G it will often sit there with a poor LTE connection that is not moving any data rather than reconnect at 4G. I have this issue a lot in a neighboring town that has LTE but it’s much faster to use 4G there for some reason, probably just cheaper out on the hardware running those towers and they are way overloaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member