Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 04-26-2018, 3:29 PM

Prep for 1 month. Food is easy to store. Water, however, is my biggest hurdle. I live nowhere near any natural water source. Any event that disables the city water supply, I will have only 15 days of water supply. I got a few 55 gallon drums and already have trouble storing them in my backyard because of the space they took up.

How do you guys store water for long term? What do you use?

Say an average family consist of 4 ppl, going at 1 gallon per person per day, that's 4 gallons per day. 120 gallons per month. 720 gallons for half a year. I will need to store 13x 55 gallon drums for half a year supply. No way I can fit that in my backyard.
Old 04-26-2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottentofu View Post
Prep for 1 month. Food is easy to store. Water, however, is my biggest hurdle. I live nowhere near any natural water source. Any event that disables the city water supply, I will have only 15 days of water supply. I got a few 55 gallon drums and already have trouble storing them in my backyard because of the space they took up.

Say an average family consist of 4 ppl, going at 1 gallon per person per day, that's 4 gallons per day. 120 gallons per month. 720 gallons for half a year. I will need to store 13x 55 gallon drums for half a year supply. No way I can fit that in my backyard.
I go with some storage, and add several means of filtration and sterilization.
Old 04-26-2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I go with some storage, and add several means of filtration and sterilization.
I have filtration and sterlization. But those are not very useful when there is no running water source.

Heck, I even thought about digging a well in my backyard. But I'm sure it will violate my city zoning code, provided I can even find an underground water source in my backyard.
Old 04-26-2018, 7:36 PM

SHTF v TEOTWAWKI

I don’t prep for TEOTWAWKI. I don’t want to survive a nuclear holocaust or biblical plague. I know my eternal place is secure.

SHTF though. I just got a letter from my local FD and CERT team reminding us that in an event like an earthquake we need to expect to “be on our own” for at least 72+ hours.

One only need to think about how devastating a major earthquake could be especially in a metropolitan area like where I live.

I’m prepped for 3-6 months to shelter in place, if I stretch my resources.

Old 04-26-2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:

I have about 200+ gallons in a combo of 55 gallon blue drums and one gallon store bought jugs. But I have a garage that can accommodate such things.

Another option for you might be a cistern. I’ve heard people rave about them.

Also rain catching bins. Set up 4-5 of them and that could be an extra 50-100 gallons in a pinch. In the right season that is.

Old 04-26-2018, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletboy View Post
I have about 200+ gallons in a combo of 55 gallon blue drums and one gallon store bought jugs. But I have a garage that can accommodate such things.

Another option for you might be a cistern. I’ve heard people rave about them.

Also rain catching bins. Set up 4-5 of them and that could be an extra 50-100 gallons in a pinch. In the right season that is.
I thought about rain catching system, but they are not very reliable in LA, not to mention illegal in some cities.
Old 04-26-2018, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

I started out small. Got enough food to feed 4 people eat really well for 2 weeks. Then expanded it to 4 weeks with all the trimmings, Generator, water purification system to recover my pool water. TP. Coffee etc.

After that I added enough additional supplies to eat poorly(bland, high carb, low protein) for maybe an additional 6 months.

Somewhere along the way I realized if the problem goes past 4 weeks we are in a whole different world of hurt and I probably would not really want to be tied down to the food storage so I kind of stopped there.

I figure most possible events would resolve within 4 weeks and I have lots of extras to barter or help the neighbors.

If a truly long term situation developed I would probably go mobile in the BugOut SUV or in case of EMP, 2, 55 gallon barrels strapped to the back of the 550 hp Mach I, Mad Max style could be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 04-26-2018, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Get on google maps and start searching your neighborhoods. I was shocked how many water sources were in my area that you never saw street level. Even a terrible pond will work in a pinch with a decent water filter.
Old 04-26-2018, 9:01 PM

I live in San Francisco and mostly prepare for when a major earthquake occurs. For our family of 5 (all adults) I have 80 gallons of water stored in 5 gallon water containers so that's good for about 2 weeks. If our 2 strapped down water heaters survive that's another 60 gallons of water. In addition I have several Katadyn water filters, 2 steripens, and a pound of calcium hypochloride for purifying water. There aren't any streams or rivers in San Francisco but there are several ponds in Golden Gate park that we can hopefully get water from if we run out of stored water. Filtering pond water to make it drinkable is doable I think if I first run it through a water filter and then UV or chemically treat what comes out.

We have probably a month's worth of food since we buy in bulk from Costco (easier and cheaper). We also have seaweed from the ocean (don't laugh because it's edible) and of course 50 million pigeons and seagulls. Btw we eat a lot of squab and all that is is 4 week old pigeon

Among other things I have is a small gas generator that will power my fridge and freezer, and several solar panels to charge up phones, batteries, etc. One thing about my generator is that I can run it in my interior light well (open to the sky so no chance of CO2 poisoning) without it being heard from the street.

I also have 2 camping stoves and about 50 pounds of propane. Plus a portable toilet because sitting down in comfort when needed is important

What bothers me is that nobody else in my family takes preparations seriously, if at all. In fact my son-in-law thinks that help will be forthcoming in a day or so even after a major quake. I shouldn't be surprised I guess. When we traveled in Peru and Uganda none of them thought about bringing flashlights or water purification things. Lucky for them I brought extra lights and a steripen.
Old 04-26-2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchang1201 View Post
What bothers me is that nobody else in my family takes preparations seriously, if at all. In fact my son-in-law thinks that help will be forthcoming in a day or so even after a major quake. I shouldn't be surprised I guess. When we traveled in Peru and Uganda none of them thought about bringing flashlights or water purification things. Lucky for them I brought extra lights and a steripen.
Same here. None of my family members, relatives, and friends believe in prepping. They all believe the government will come to their aid immediately after a disaster. They won't even invest in 3 day food supply kit. Think its a waste of money. Whenever I reminded them to be prepared, they always told me that I am paranoid.

Has anyone ever consider that when the time comes for us to be needing our local water source (ponds, stream, etc), wouldn't those locations be dangerous as the water sources would probably be taken over by some local forces? Kinda like the water holes in the wild, it's where most of the predators will be lurking.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 PM
Extreme MAGA Republican
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I live in San Francisco and mostly prepare for when a major earthquake occurs. For our family of 5 (all adults) I have 80 gallons of water stored in 5 gallon water containers so that's good for about 2 weeks. If our 2 strapped down water heaters survive that's another 60 gallons of water. In addition I have several Katadyn water filters, 2 steripens, and a pound of calcium hypochloride for purifying water. There aren't any streams or rivers in San Francisco but there are several ponds in Golden Gate park that we can hopefully get water from if we run out of stored water. Filtering pond water to make it drinkable is doable I think if I first run it through a water filter and then UV or chemically treat what comes out.

We have probably a month's worth of food since we buy in bulk from Costco (easier and cheaper). We also have seaweed from the ocean (don't laugh because it's edible) and of course 50 million pigeons and seagulls. Btw we eat a lot of squab and all that is is 4 week old pigeon

Among other things I have is a small gas generator that will power my fridge and freezer, and several solar panels to charge up phones, batteries, etc. One thing about my generator is that I can run it in my interior light well (open to the sky so no chance of CO2 poisoning) without it being heard from the street.

I also have 2 camping stoves and about 50 pounds of propane. Plus a portable toilet because sitting down in comfort when needed is important

Same location, same primary earthquake concern, single, 28 gallons water (adding 63 more when I build my new coffee table), two water heaters in shared garage, 1 Steripen, multiple water filters, Twin Peaks and Laguna Honda reservoirs nearby (would have to break in), Honda EU2000 for fridge and chest freezer but no light well to run it in, months of dehydrated and freeze dried foods, chemical toilet, not quite enough propane, etc. Then GHB in car, BOB in bedroom, and fully stocked RV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 04-27-2018, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Same here. None of my family members, relatives, and friends believe in prepping. They all believe the government will come to their aid immediately after a disaster. They won't even invest in 3 day food supply kit. Think its a waste of money. Whenever I reminded them to be prepared, they always told me that I am paranoid.

Has anyone ever consider that when the time comes for us to be needing our local water source (ponds, stream, etc), wouldn't those locations be dangerous as the water sources would probably be taken over by some local forces? Kinda like the water holes in the wild, it's where most of the predators will be lurking.
It's not just the local water sources that will be at risk. Desperate people do things they would never imagine themselves doing, especially if they have kids. And as I told my kids, people never mind spending your time or money (especially money) and in a disaster they will feel that people who have supplies are obligated to share what they have.

Rural areas might be different but in a large city like San Francisco I get the sense that people assume that the government or others will step in immediately to help when needed.
Old 04-27-2018, 2:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My family has been in the California 1857,1906 and 1925 quakes. Water, food and stay low until the Calvary arrives. If Katrina is any example, 30 days minimum.

I not planning on using my jenny for the refrigerator, that food goes first, jenny will be for Sat TV, and Comms. Solar for battery charging with jenny for backup.

I have settled on the Christchurch, NZ method for sewage.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 04-27-2018, 2:42 PM

i love it here in california where they tax the he-- out of you for emergency prepareness and then fail to deliver because the legislature spent the money on pet projects and kickbacks. Cities are screwed and the best people who have a chance of surviving are those that can protect what they have and live near natural water supplies. Knowledge is the biggest thing and it cannot be learned after a disaster. Buy books that help you identify plants you can eat and which ones to avoid. Learn good water techniques and stockpile bottled water and rotate it with fresh stocks. Be prepared to grow your own veggies if you are in for the long haul. Hunting is or can be critical but know how to spot a diseased animal among rabbits,deer, etc. All this knowledge is in books and do not count on computers since power will be gone in all aspects. Fuel will be short in supply and hand pumps will be critical. Books are the best source of information and the state will most likely fold like a cheap deck of cards when it comes to support. A lot of excuses and no results in terms of help. Practice being on your own because you will be.
Old 04-27-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
My family has been in the California 1857,1906 and 1925 quakes. Water, food and stay low until the Calvary arrives. If Katrina is any example, 30 days minimum.

I not planning on using my jenny for the refrigerator, that food goes first, jenny will be for Sat TV, and Comms. Solar for battery charging with jenny for backup.

I have settled on the Christchurch, NZ method for sewage.
My plan is to eat freezer/refrig food first before they spoil so the generator needs to be run enough to keep things from going bad. And when it's running I might as well charge up everything I can (though I have solar panels to do that).

And while waiting for the Calvary might as well reload everything I can. Who knows what can and can't be bartered after a big quake.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Are you guys prepping for short or long-term disasters?
Yes I am
Like someone else said If you're prepping for long term, then the short is covered.
Old 05-07-2018, 9:15 AM

Prepping for both short and long term.

Short term (<4 weeks), could be caused by many things and can support a number of neighbors and family friends if need be.

Long term (>4 weeks), pandemic or natural/weaponized EMP are what I think are the most likely so am what I prep for. Also that prep covers a lot of other less impactful events. For me at this time, it is more about having the knowledge, information, tools, and a data ark, rather than then a homestead. That is all that is within my grasp at this time. Also, this would greatly reduce those I would support.

Last edited by TheChief; 05-07-2018 at 9:34 AM..
Old 05-09-2018, 1:52 PM

parking lot sale.....http://www.sosproducts.com/v/parkinglotsaleflyer.pdf
Old 05-11-2018, 9:48 PM

I live in Santa Ana and even if the disaster is local and short term, I would rather not have to wait in the lines for food and water. Too dangerous to be out in public.

We will lock down in our place as low profile as possible.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
Mostly short term, 6 weeks or less.
Same.
Need to improve that x2.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 05-12-2018, 10:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It's not just the local water sources that will be at risk. Desperate people do things they would never imagine themselves doing, especially if they have kids. And as I told my kids, people never mind spending your time or money (especially money) and in a disaster they will feel that people who have supplies are obligated to share what they have.

Rural areas might be different but in a large city like San Francisco I get the sense that people assume that the government or others will step in immediately to help when needed.
Many of them do believe this. Most remarkably, they continue to believe it in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary.
"Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM

When prepping consider where you live and what possible disasters you could face.

The possibility of a TEOTWAWKI event is so small as to be not worth prepping for. Unless you have methods to be completely self sufficient, its almost impossible to properly prep for. My theory anyway.

Short-term disaster prep however....now that is something that will likely happen to everyone, almost anywhere, at least multiple times in thier lifetime.

I dont have a hard and fast rule, but I like to keep at least a 5-10 days worth of food in my pantry at all times. I am not storing enough water at the moment, need to load up on that...especially now that I live in Las Vegas.

In my 27 years living in San Diego, we had 2 disaster events, that required at least some level of self-sufficency. A set of fires that walled off all of San Diego county for several days...though power was not interrupted. The other was a power outage to the county that also lasted several days.

In both cases, I hunkered down and pretty much did not leave the house until it was clear...lots of people had to evaccuate into shelters both times. I got to stay in my home.

So thats what I prep for, those short term disasters that will happen to everyone eventually no matter where you live...in some places will happen annually.

I love wooden rifles
Old 05-12-2018, 4:25 PM

12 months, food and medical. Including antibiotics, and Hooch. Water isn't an issue here. That was before both of my daughters moved out. Now, probably more than double that. Mostly sealed/freeze dried, canned and preserved.

We rotate. Replace what we use by date. Also, lots of game, small and otherwise, LOTS of forage! AFAIK, I'm the only one around here that knows how to forage.

Lots of people overlook medical.

4 rifles, two sidearms, and a shotgun. Enough ammo to cause someone real problems if they get out of hand.

I was there (Newark, CA) for the Loma Prieta quake. Even though there wasn't much damage, it was a week before anything returned to near normal. Didn't see a Cop for nearly 10 days. No electricity for four days, no gas for 7 days. No water for four days. I had the foresight to build an 8'x8'x10' "Earthquake Emergency Box", well before the quake hit, and was pretty comfortable. We could've slept in it, if needed.

Keep in mind that everyone has a "personal" SHTF now and again. I moved with my older daughter to Texas. Wife, younger daughter, and SIL followed a month later. They stayed behind to take care of things. They had plenty of food. Didn't have to go to the store at all.

Last edited by Dragunov; 05-12-2018 at 4:37 PM..
Old 05-12-2018, 6:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Are you guys prepping for short or long-term disasters?

Yes.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:48 PM

Yes. I plan for hurricanes where I live now. The good thing is that you see these coming a few days in advance so it gives you time to bug out or top off your stores. I think I have enough to last me for at least a month.

I have about 80 gals of water stored in the home right now with a few empty 5 gal jugs that will get filled again. I rotate my water and try not to go below 50 gals. I also have two water Bob's, one for each bath tub and they hold a 100 gals each. Within a quarter mile there is a creek that seems to run most of the year but I figure that it will start running low if things get pretty bad. About a mile away is a big river but i think it will be difficult to get to with thick woods and brush. The best way would be the main road but that leaves you vulnerable. I keep coffee filters and some extra bleach to help clean some of the water if we have to collect it.

As far as food goes, I should be good for at least a month with a combination of MREs, rice and beans. That does not include all the other things we normally keep and cycle through for everyday consumption. I have 4 20 lb propane tanks for cooking, 1 in use and 3 stored.

I keep basic first aid preps and medicine. I keep plenty of batteries for flashlights and an emergency radio. I do have a generator but I don't keep enough fuel to run it for long. I really don't plan to either, it will attract way too much bad attention.

I have enough guns and ammo to outlast me.

My two brothers have started to prepare in the last couple of years but I don't think they are as committed as I am. Unfortunately, they do not live close.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by all torque; 05-12-2018 at 10:51 PM..
Old 05-13-2018, 5:05 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, prescription medicines are the hard part. Doctors will not prescribe more for emergencies and pharmacist won't double a prescription.

Non-prescription stuff is easy enough to get from places that sell tropical fish supplies.

Prescription drugs are another story. Especially those that keep you ticking or prevent seizures.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 05-13-2018, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle1886 View Post
Yeah, prescription medicines are the hard part. Doctors will not prescribe more for emergencies and pharmacist won't double a prescription.

Non-prescription stuff is easy enough to get from places that sell tropical fish supplies.

Prescription drugs are another story. Especially those that keep you ticking or prevent seizures.

Respectfully
Kyle

One thing that you can often do with long term prescription meds is to ask the doctor to write the prescription for a 90 day supply. That at least gives you a bit of a back up should something happen.

It would be a shame if someone got a 90 supply of meds and then accidently dropped them in the toilet or something the next day and had to get them replaced.
"Did I say "republic?" By God, yes, I said "republic!" Long live the glorious republic of the United States of America. Damn democracy. It is a fraudulent term used, often by ignorant persons but no less often by intellectual fakers, to describe an infamous mixture of socialism, miscegenation, graft, confiscation of property and denial of personal rights to individuals whose virtuous principles make them offensive." - Westbrook Pegler
Old 05-13-2018, 2:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoff31 View Post
One thing that you can often do with long term prescription meds is to ask the doctor to write the prescription for a 90 day supply. That at least gives you a bit of a back up should something happen.

It would be a shame if someone got a 90 supply of meds and then accidently dropped them in the toilet or something the next day and had to get them replaced.
We have tried that, no go. Wife has been taking the drug since 1992 after she had a large brain tumor removed.

So in the event of something big---will have to do, what one needs to do.

Respectfully
Kyle

Leadership, logistics, communications, and will.

"Doing nothing is doing something"

_________+__________
Old 05-27-2018, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starslinger View Post
This is my first visit to the Survival and Preparations section of the Calguns forum. I am a reasonably experienced backpacker and camper, and I am familiar with the concept of "everyday carry" and being prepared for emergencies. I don't know a whole lot about "prepping." I'm curious, are most of you prepping for shorter-term disasters such as earthquakes, riots, floods or a really bad influenza outbreak? Or are most of you genuinely prepping for a longer-term scenario such as post nuclear war, climate change, or a complete collapse of the government?

I greatly enjoy post-apocalyptic movies such as Mad Max, Waterworld, The Postman, The Book of Eli, and The Survivalist. Here and there I've given a few minutes thought about what I might do if the civilized world ended. But I personally don't feel motivated about long-term prepping. I've come to the conclusion that while these scenarios are entertaining as movies and books, I really would not like to live like that - scavenging the wastelands, desperately looking for food and clean water and hiding from bandits. Nor do I relish the idea of living isolated, far from danger and the remains of a broken civilization, trying to grow enough food to avoid starvation. I think I'd prefer to die in the first nuclear blast, rather than "stumble sightless through the smoldering aftermath" as was described by fictional Dr. Stephen Falken in the terrific movie War Games.

If you are a survivalist and you enjoy prepping, I have no problem with that. I was just wondering how deep into prepping most of you are going and what length of disaster most of you are prepping for?
You watch too many movies and TV.