Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 04-26-2018, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

Default Coyote Hunting With Remote Motion Detector And Lure Scents, New Trail Cam Videos

I can predict enough about coyote behaviour that I think they can be hunted productively using scent attractions and a remote motion alarm. The way I've seen them hunt coyotes in Maine, on Northwood Justice I believe it is titled.

About a couple weeks ago I set up this trail camera on sign in a rocky wash.* I used 2 rock piles with different lures for attractors. One rock pile was set 15 feet or so away from the lens, and the other about 25 feet away.* And as luck would have it a wind storm came up as soon as I left and wedged a limb directly in front of the lens.* When I returned several days latter the coyotes had worked the rock piles, so and moved the camera about 25 yards away.*

I left it for 4 days and 5 nights capturing a male and female coyote, a 1/2 dozen swift foxes, dozen or so jackrabbits, a roadrunner that didn't peck out the camera lens, and too many kangaroo rats.

Here's the bata male coyote that was called away from the curiosity lure rock pile by the howe from the Alpha male.* These coyotes hunt in packs trotting* washes or other terrain in a static line with the intent of jumpimg up or running prey animals into each other's path or line of sight.

https://youtu.be/2Ve80ft7kXI

Here's the female that showed up and scattered the tri-nitro x3 curiosity lure rock pile then rubbed the scent.

https://youtu.be/3mGIqudrZO4

Then these dabgum swift foxes messed up the curiosity lure rock pile #2.* These little predators are so curious they can be attracted at night by shining a hand held light around, or even by a strange sound like knocking on wood or kissing the back of your hand.

https://youtu.be/XbYi0zPxIik

https://youtu.be/HHZ_5xRJ6Cs

https://youtu.be/L_9_PNxQErA

https://youtu.be/ORcCgRM3cKM

https://youtu.be/55WSmXcu6i0

Then here's the jackrabbit with the lame foot.* I bet it was injured escaping from a predator:

https://youtu.be/_ZdFdLmfdBA

https://youtu.be/tXaWRCg6naU

Then these kangaroo rats triggered the camera more than anything else by a long shot, the majority of the 56 videos were of them:

https://youtu.be/PRWR9YI49P0

https://youtu.be/tUfzDMawVBY

Then this roadrunner came popped up on in the front of the lens.* I'm lucky to have camouflaged around the camera using throns, the thorns prevent woodpeckers, roadrunners, rodents, ect from damaging the lenses or sensors:

https://youtu.be/RvSUoGE0lOQ

Last edited by tony270; 04-26-2018 at 5:48 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

Here's a link to the kind of remote motion detector from Spy Point that I'm refering to:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/spypoi...YaAnW_EALw_wcB
Old 04-26-2018, 6:50 PM

Unless you’re planning on a distant shot like your motion detector is capable of, I think you’ll have a much harder time using scents and attractants VS. sounds and motion decoys. Mostly because your scent will be traveling the same direction as your Lures. Which at some point the coyote is likely to cross paths with both. Sound will travel 360°, where your scents are subject to any breeze or wind. I would love to see how this works for you. Please share if you have success.
Old 04-28-2018, 6:57 AM
Veteran Member

I don't try to defeat the coyotes olfactory sense, I try to avoid the possibility of detection by staying out of the air-stream. The easiest way to do that is to hunt crosswind and if everything goes right a shot will present itself. This time of year coyotes don't respond well to calls. From the limited trail camera information that I have they may not respond to calls because of the abundance of prey animals, other food sources that are available, and preparing to den up to raise a litter of pups.

The hunters in Maine set up on bait piles comfortably waiting inside a blind or shooting house until the motion alert is triggered, similar to ice fishing.

My plan is to set up early enough (before dawn) using a short calling sequence ( with the caller near the lure), and if everything falls in place the coyote will likely respond in short order, or within a couple hours,
1-1/2 hour before and after sunset is a good time too.

With a few exceptions I stopped positing dead coyotes because it is only used against us, though I will post the results from this tactic.

Here's a simple diagram of how I set up. I also use the terrain and other land features to force the coyote where I want them, and 2nd to wind direction keep low, resist standing or raising up to peek:

Last edited by tony270; 07-22-2021 at 7:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2018, 7:21 AM

When hunting for coyote in AZ, I would use watering holes as the attraction. Would always have a couple either getting water or hunting something that was

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2018, 6:52 PM

Tony, is hunting with a remote motion camera like you posted or a remote motion alarm like you mentioned legal in CA?
Old 05-01-2018, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Tony, is hunting with a remote motion camera like you posted or a remote motion alarm like you mentioned legal in CA?
Yes it is legal to hunt coyotes, bait and lures too, not legal is night vision amplifier, or scopes that project an aim point on the target.

It is not legal to hunt over a water source like seeps, springs, guzzlers, wells in California.
Old 05-01-2018, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

Well I don't think motion detectors alarm systems are addressd for huntung coyotes. I guess it's like recording a video, or using a caller and decoy, or a trail camera.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/cu...lregs.aspx#368

"§475. Methods of Take for Nongame Birds and Nongame Mammals.
Nongame birds and nongame mammals may be taken in any manner except as follows:

(a) Poison may not be used.
(b) Recorded or electrically amplified bird or mammal calls or sounds or recorded or electrically amplified imitations of bird or mammal calls or sounds may not be used to take any nongame bird or nongame mammal except coyotes, bobcats, American crows and starlings.
(c) Fallow deer, sambar deer, axis deer, sika deer, aoudad, mouflon, tahr and feral goats may be taken only with the equipment and ammunition specified in Section 353 of these regulations.
(d) Traps may be used to take nongame birds and nongame mammals only in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 of these regulations and sections 3003.1 and 4004 of the Fish and Game Code.
(e) No feed, bait or other material capable of attracting a nongame mammal may be placed or used in conjunction with dogs for the purpose of taking any nongame mammals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit an individual operating in accordance with the provisions of Section 465.5 from using a dog to follow a trap drag and taking the nongame mammal caught in that trap.
(f) The take or attempted take of any nongame bird or nongame mammal with a firearm shall be in accordance with the use of nonlead projectiles and ammunition pursuant to Section 250.1 of these regulations.
Amendment file 6/26/15, effective 7/1/15".
Old 05-01-2018, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

I found this but it doesn't apply to a motion alarm for non game animals/coyotes.

"§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting.
(a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any bird or mammal in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote hunting.
(b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote hunting site for the purpose of taking any bird or mammal from or within this state.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote hunting" means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any bird or mammal, for the purposes of taking any bird or mammal.
(d) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote hunting site" means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird or mammal.
New section filed 11-1-2005 operative 12-1-2005 (Register 2005,"
Old 05-01-2018, 5:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee dragger View Post
When hunting for coyote in AZ, I would use watering holes as the attraction. Would always have a couple either getting water or hunting something that was

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Here's some information on hunting over limited water sources in Cali:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/outp...game-qa-2.html

"Answer: Generally, it is illegal to hunt within 200 yards of watering holes (wildlife watering places) while on public land or within one-quarter mile of specified wildlife watering places (wells) in Lassen and Modoc counties (CCR T-14 730[c][1-2]).

The regulations regarding wildlife watering places specifically prohibit “… establishing or inhabiting a camp; resting; picnicking; sleeping; parking or inhabiting any motor vehicle or trailer; hunting; or engaging in any other recreational activity for a period of more than thirty (30) minutes at a given location.”

“Wildlife watering places” are defined as waterholes, springs, seeps and man-made watering devices for wildlife such as guzzlers (self-filling, in-the-ground water storage tanks), horizontal wells and small impoundments of less than one surface acre in size.

According to Game Warden Jason Chance, an ethical hunter should treat watering holes the same as bait piles. Like bait piles, watering holes attract game, especially in arid areas. Ethical hunters know there is no fair chase or challenge in hunting animals around waterholes or guzzlers because this provides the hunter with an unfair advantage over wild game".
Old 05-01-2018, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

This driveway motion detector has a longer range, only $48.00:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-W...BoCnhIQAvD_BwE
Old 05-03-2018, 5:31 AM

Default Coyote Hunting With Remote Motion Detector And Lure Scents, New Trail Cam Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony270 View Post
I found this but it doesn't apply to a motion alarm for non game animals/coyotes.

"§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting.
(a) It is unlawful to take or assist in the taking of any bird or mammal in or from this state, by computer-assisted remote hunting.
(b) It is unlawful to establish or operate a computer-assisted remote hunting site for the purpose of taking any bird or mammal from or within this state.
(c) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote hunting" means the use of a computer or any other remotely controlled device, equipment, software, or technology, to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any bird or mammal, for the purposes of taking any bird or mammal.
(d) For the purposes of this section, "computer-assisted remote hunting site" means any computer, internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird or mammal.
New section filed 11-1-2005 operative 12-1-2005 (Register 2005,"

Thanks for posting, Tony. And for the videos.

According to this last paragraph in your post above, section D, it appears to be Illegal to use the remote devices you mentioned to take “any bird or mammal”

“or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird or mammal”

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 05-03-2018 at 6:00 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 7:28 AM
Veteran Member

Your Welcome and thank you for appreciating my work.

You would not be hunting remotely, see bold below.

“or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird or mammal".

Using a motion detector like a Buck Alert to take coyotes is different than hunting remotely. I would be hunting directly on site not using a remotely operated method of dispatch like using a laptop to aim or fire a rifle.
Old 05-03-2018, 7:40 AM
Veteran Member

To keep everything in perspective that section is basically dealing computer assisted hunting, but still applies
(§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting".)

This quote is refering to using a web site to hunt through:
"electronically operated site"
Old 05-03-2018, 7:54 AM

New section filed 11-1-2005 operative 12-1-2005 (Register 2005,”

I read the above definition “to include electronically operated site OR other electronically operated SYSTEM ( such as an electronic remote camera system) to use in the taking of any bird or mammal.”

Looks pretty clear to me. Just be careful out there, Tony.

Last edited by Mesa Defense; 05-03-2018 at 7:59 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 8:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
New section filed 11-1-2005 operative 12-1-2005 (Register 2005,”

I read the above definition “to include electronically operated site OR other electronically operated SYSTEM ( such as an electronic remote camera system) to use in the taking of any bird or mammal.”

Looks pretty clear to me. Just be careful out there, Tony.
You need to understand the phrase “remote taking”

You can’t be able to take the animal from a remote location

Even electronic callers are considered software based computers
Old 05-03-2018, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post

You need to understand that electric callers, decoys, etc are legal to use to hunt coyotes and bobcats with. And that that regulation was placed into the regulations to prohibit remote hunting using a machines to take the animal.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

I perfer positing coyote hunting videos that the coyote escapes, when you document the kill coyote projects uses it to promote their quest to ban coyote hunting, they have no idea of how difficult it is to control coyotes, okay I wrote that.

Yesterday I headed out and set up a stand, the Firestorm was sounding the distressed hairy woodpecker, and a cotton wick saturated with Nitro X'3 lure permeated the breeze. After 3 hours with no takers it was time to move.* Before leaving making sure to circled the area looking tracks from anything that may have approached.

At this point I made the decision to spend some time at the next location to* scout for sign. Now I clearly understand why so many kangaroo rats are at my set.* They are foraging for seeds in the disturbed earth that I leave.* Part of the evidence that I notice was through a set of tire tracks cutting through the open desert.* Inside the tire tracks I saw that kangaroo rats had dug and scrape leaving the same sign that I see through their acts of foraging.* I surmise that the tire track trial has soft soil making it faster and easier to dig and or had turned the soil enough unearthing seeds and roots for the taking.

Then I leave and run into a pack of coyotes.* They are looking right at me so I keep going.* I bust a move and quickly sneek into a wash.* Get out and set the caller 25 yards away. The coyotes are out of site but still lingering in an open area sniffing the ground looking for what looks like insects.* It had rain the night before and was still sprinkling on and off, the moisture is what must had caused something to become available to forage for.*

I quickly set up behind a Smoketree (Paloverde spelling) with my Jeep in plane sight, I turn on the caller and the coyotes come in and it was simular to picking a bird form a covey of quail, or like a predator fish selecting a fish from a school of the.
It was there time to live. I blew it becauseinstead of taking my time and smoothly setting up I couldn't resists the urge to speed up and that caused me to become discombobulated and miss.* The coyote are running all over but I can't see them on the video.*

I took the shot at a coyote that has stopped behind a creosote bush, the round was too frangible to crash through the twigs and connect, it would be different if I was shooting lead.* At the end of the video you can see the tracks where the coyote ran up and stopped across the wash from the caller, can't win them all was but it was still fun.

Here's the link to the video, after a closer look I can see a glimpse of the coyote that I shot at.* It comes running up at the 2 second mark on the video.* The arrow in this screenshot showed the path that the coyote appears in the video, the arrow head stops at where the coyote stopped, the blue circle is where the callee is.* I think that I can see glimpse of a couple of other coyotes too.

https://youtu.be/iJ5DJCHp4AY

The black dot is the coyote charging in:

Last edited by tony270; 07-22-2021 at 7:00 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post

And theroticlly it is legal to use a computer if you are not remotely hunting.
Old 05-03-2018, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

"§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting

Last edited by tony270; 05-03-2018 at 11:33 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
"§251.9. Computer Assisted Remote Hunting

Tape IMO you have always displayed anti hunting opinions on predator, and some other anti hunting behaviour, don't get me going Tape.
Drugs are bad tony270

You’re accusing a guy that has livestock, horses and sheep of being anti predator hunting?

See my first sentence again

Last edited by taperxz; 05-03-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

You don't mind taking problem preadtors, what about just hunting them because it is legal, to keep your marksman skills up to par.

Last edited by tony270; 05-03-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

tony270, you are living proof that our educational system discriminates disproportionately.

Your teach may have given you an A in comprehension but clearly they were just trying to help you get out of school.

Hopefully another or a few forum users will explain to you what I wrote. I have no words. I will gracefully bow out of this topic to avoid further misunderstandings. Good luck on your adventurous yote hunting.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Too much Booze kills brain cells, in other words it pickles the human brain, when alcohol is used for a substantial amount of time or abused, when the uses stops a syndrome known dry drunk becomes apparent. That's my opinion of you extrapolated from your interaction over the years with me. You can have the last word, anything else please correspond with me via PM.

You don't mind taking problem preadtors, what about just hunting them because it is legal, to keep your marksman skills up to par.
I hunt, call and shoot every coyote I see.

I agreed and defended your interpretation of the law. As usual, you couldn’t comprehend the English language. I’m sorry for that. Enjoy your chat here on this topic with yourself bloviating over nothing.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

See how fast they come in, I think I'll order the Buck Alert Motion Detector, looking at the reviews the Spy Point company has bad customer service and technical support, that's why I passed on it, and the Buck Alert is not durable enough to last, that's why I thought about the driveway motion detector. Anyway I'll be going with the Buck Alert, after all it is made for hunting.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:30 AM

Guys, I have a perfect application if remote cams are legal. Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m going to keep searching for that answer.

I’m going to bow out too. Tony, Keep hunting my friend. All the best.

Be well!
Old 05-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member

Okay, not an ambiguous regulation like some others. You can't use that technology to do the quote, it makes it clear:

"to remotely control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, including, but not limited to, any firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any bird or mammal, for the purposes of taking any bird or mammal".

Last edited by tony270; 05-03-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

What say you Tape.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Section §251.9 describes what computers assisted hunting is or the definition. When reading section §251.9, first read paragraphs (a), (b,), then refer to paragraphs (c) and (d) to understand the activity that is being regulated.
Old 05-03-2018, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, what I understand is that paragraph (c) is the definition for "computer-assisted remote hunting", and the definition in paragraph (d) describes what a "computer-assisted remote hunting site" is.

Paragraph (c) is the definition for the act of "computer-assisted remote hunting", the word site is added to the definition for (d), the "computer-assisted remote hunting site"

The way that I understand it is that paragraph (c), the "computer-assisted remote hunting" definition, should be referred to in conjunction with paragraph (d), the definition for a computer-assisted remote hunting site, both need to jive with the other to make the act illegal.

Because I'm not performing any of the acts in paragraph (c), there's no need to even look at paragraph (d), it wouldn't apply because I wouldn't meet the definition in paragraph (c), computer-assisted remote hunting. In other words, (d) can't be enforced without first performing an act that is prohibited in (c), (c) can't be enforced.

There's no mention of motion detectors that I can find for Cali, so if not mentioned as a prohibited tatic, is it okay. I think so, no different than using a fishing alarm (but the pole has to be closely attended) which are mentioned in the fishing regulations. Anyway coyotes are so leery that a motion detector would add little advantage, just another cool gadget when it would allow a connection.

Last edited by tony270; 05-03-2018 at 5:29 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

How's this:
It is prohibited to use a "internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of birds or mammals to control the aiming or discharge of any weapon, "internet site or web-based device or system, or other electronically operated site or system used to assist in the remote taking of any bird" or "mammal by" remotely controlling "a firearm, bow and arrow, spear, harpoon or any other weapon capable of killing or injuring any bird or mammal"..

Last edited by tony270; 05-03-2018 at 5:58 PM..
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This driveway motion detector has a longer range, only $48.00:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Chamberlain-W...BoCnhIQAvD_BwE
How far will this work have you tried it yet ? I get coyotes coming in at night to eat on the dead pile before tallow picks them up .
Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
Quote:
ProShooter's
You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.
Old 05-04-2018, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

They say up to 1/2 mile. I haven't tested one yet but I know it works on bate piles because I saw it used on TV, it was in Maine, Northwoods Law.

Thanks Again