Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-23-2018, 8:50 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Looking for replacement scope

After spending several days behind a Vortex Viper 30mm, 6.5-20x 44mm I am not overly impressed, esp. at higher magnification light transmission and clarity were not as good as I expected. I traded time behind this and a Mueller Eradicator and found the Mueller to be brighter and clearer but the eye alignment has a smaller margin of error for a clear view. Is there really that much of a difference between 44mm and 50mm in light transmission? I was shooting in full daylight conditions. I would love another Leupold VXIII but at $900 isn't in the cards. I'm looking to stay under $500 and side focus if possible, am I unrealistic? Targets average 200+ yards, killing ground squirrels is serious business.

Would I be any happier with either of these?
Sightron 4-20x50 S-TAC 30mm - Admittedly I know very little of Sightron quality.
Burris 6.5-20x50 Fullfield E1

What else should I look at? Max magnification in the 18 - 25 range.
Thanks!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:27 AM

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I think leupold has the "mark AR" series and theres one that goes up to 18x magnification in a 44mm. I think I picked mines up around the $500 range?

Nikon, Athlon might be worth a look at that price point. Hope this helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2018, 5:47 AM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

I have a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and am very pleased with it... I don't know how it compares with the S-TAC you listed (the SIII is over the budget price you listed though)

Years ago I had a 3-9 Fullfield E1 but sold it to my cousin... Surprisingly clear glass for the price... I liked that scope and kinda wish I kept it.

Last week I purchased a Nikon M-233 4-16x42 at Natchez for 285is shipped... They have them on sale right now for 290 with free shipping... Most places are selling them for well over 400... I havent received it yet, but it gets really good reviews. For the price, I don't have really high expectations, but I suspect it will be as good or better than the Fullfield E1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
It only has as much power as you give it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned
I know some things about a lot of things - and a lot of things about some things - but I don't know everything about anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
GET OFF MY CACTUS!
-----------------------------
"RIGHT POWER!"
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w558/LBDamneds/Misc/III_zpsofbisb36.jpg
-----------------------------
Old 04-24-2018, 12:12 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
Last week I purchased a Nikon M-233 4-16x42 at Natchez for 285is shipped... They have them on sale right now for 290 with free shipping... Most places are selling them for well over 400... I havent received it yet, but it gets really good reviews. For the price, I don't have really high expectations, but I suspect it will be as good or better than the Fullfield E1
Thanks I'll take a look at the S2. I put an M2 23124 power on my son's AR I like it alot I'm sure you will like the 4-16. I have an older Burris fullfield II, I believe, it is 8 to 32 power but it's huge almost like the Hubble telescope
Old 04-25-2018, 9:59 AM

Depending on what you prefer, FFP or SFP Nikon has the BLACK Series of scopes available. Check out the BLACK FX1000 and the BLACK X1000. Both 30mm tube, 4-16x50 and you can get either in MOA or MRAD reticle/turret option. I have over 1000 rounds under the BLACK X1000 4-16x50 and love it. I can still dial in the drops using Nikon's Spot On Program too. Definitely worth taking a look at.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Athlon scopes seem to get good reviews and are supposedly a good value. I have no personal experience with them, but it seems worth a try.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 04-25-2018, 2:35 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the S-Tac 4-20.

It's only $356.57 right now. That's quite a good price (use RIFLE15 to get 15% off):

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightro...iflescope.html

My optics experience ranges from Sightron's lowly SIH to Vortex's Razor GII, and I firmly believe Sightrons represent the best glass for the money if you're not too concerned with features. It's just an earnest, simple scope that's well-built and punches above its price.

Last edited by michaelthepsycho; 04-25-2018 at 2:38 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 4:21 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the S-Tac 4-20.

It's only $356.57 right now. That's quite a good price (use RIFLE15 to get 15% off):

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sightro...iflescope.html

My optics experience ranges from Sightron's lowly SIH to Vortex's Razor GII, and I firmly believe Sightrons represent the best glass for the money if you're not too concerned with features. It's just an earnest, simple scope that's well-built and punches above its price.
Thanks! I think I'll dial that up. That is a good price!
ETA: DOH! after taking a look it's the duplex reticle, they get you a hundy more for the moa reticle. Hmmmm what to do, what to do...
ETA2: Done deal.

Last edited by DGoodale; 04-26-2018 at 4:47 PM..
Old 04-27-2018, 2:49 PM

I have that scope with mil dot reticle and like it a lot. Call Vortex and send it back they have a great warranty.