Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Permit/License To Carry Training Classes & Experiences Discuss Concealed Carry Permit/License classes here.

Old 10-25-2016, 2:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I need to add a gun to my license - anyone you'd recommend in South OC that is cheap and fast? thx
Old 10-25-2016, 5:53 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow I need to add a gun to my license...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyguy View Post

I need to add a gun to my license -

anyone you'd recommend in South OC that is cheap and fast?

thx

On Target Range Laguna Niguel does these for the price of Ammo and Targets (if you are member, otherwise add the price of a lane as well)...

http://ontargetrange.com/ontargetrange/

Just added two guns there recently.

Call ahead first.

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 10-25-2016, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
On Target Range Laguna Niguel does these for the price of Ammo and Targets (if you are member, otherwise add the price of a lane as well)...

Call ahead first.
That seems like a good deal, I'm going to add one there today. Thank you.

• Complete set of reloading equipment plus dies for 338 LM
• Desert Tactical Arms SRS rifles - Gen 1 and Gen 2
Old 11-01-2016, 8:12 PM

As CCW's (Initials and Renewals) I encourage everyone to take the training VERY seriously. Most of us are aware of the responsibility that we have placed on our self's. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I feel compelled to reiterate the importance of training, training, training, training.....I'm off my soapbox now!
Old 11-01-2016, 8:20 PM

FTA "Firearms Training Associates". Bill Murphy, literally wrote the book on concealed carry, use of force, and other related topics

Address: 14995 River Rd, Corona, CA 92880
Phone: (714) 701-9918
Old 11-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolCrockett View Post
FTA "Firearms Training Associates". Bill Murphy, literally wrote the book on concealed carry, use of force, and other related topics

Address: 14995 River Rd, Corona, CA 92880
Phone: (714) 701-9918
Agree. +1
Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM

+1 for Ben Hansen

I initially took his Multistate class back in March. Then after my initial appointment with OCSD proceeded with his class in September.. He gives you the Blackhawk training Gun and Holster (His Cost). He makes his class informative, entertaining, and interesting having to cover a lot of classroom content.
Old 11-02-2016, 1:40 PM

I thought Massad Ayoob wrote the book. [shrug]

Don't forget about Safe Insight - classroom portion is online so at your convenience.

The thing about CCW training is that it's just the basics for the permit. In no way is it the end-all for firearms proficiency. Also speaking to the choir I assume.
Old 11-12-2016, 5:03 AM

Folks that have taken their training with Ben Hansen. Can you comment as to what the shooting practical entails? Is it as simple as shooting at 3,5,7 yards, or does it also involve shooting from non-dominant hand, one handed shoots,etc? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmer9 View Post
Folks that have taken their training with Ben Hansen. Can you comment as to what the shooting practical entails? Is it as simple as shooting at 3,5,7 yards, or does it also involve shooting from non-dominant hand, one handed shoots,etc? Thanks.
They all require that. You have to prove you can accurately hit a target with either hand and clear your firearm in the case of a jam or misfire. With each firearm you're listing on your permit.

They want to make sure you can hit what you're aiming at in such a case that you actually have to use your weapon.

If you actually carry then regular practice is a basic obligation for competency. Further training never hurts either.

Last edited by Browneye; 11-13-2016 at 7:22 PM..
Old 01-15-2017, 5:05 PM

Default Review: Advanced Public Instruction Training oc-ccw.com

I took my training with Advanced Public Instruction Services. They were one of listed trainers on the list given by the CCW office.

Overall, the great thing about them is that you only need to leave your home for about an hour to do the range test. The entire actual classroom learning is done ONLINE! It took me about 2~3 hours to go through all the sections and get my passing grade of 100%. The material is all about the legal and safety aspects of a CCW license holder. There were about ~10 sections and after each section I was presented with a multiple choice test of about 10 questions for that section only.

The initial customer service experience was another story, it was horrible. I felt like I was being treated like a second class citizen (animal) at the local zoo. Maybe I'm a "soft metro" type of guy, but I just didn't like being spoken to like a guy being arrested or being barked orders at, especially if I'm the one paying the money. It started like this, when I called the phone number, a man answered without mentioning the company name, and with a very suspicious / authoritarian tone to me, like the guy in the movies behind the steel door at the back of a club, with a metal sliding peephole door. I later found out that he is ex-police and this is not a full time business for him. I explained to him that I wanted to find out more information about the course. He gave me some basic information and pushed me to his website to make a payment of $200, which I did via paypal. After I made the payment. I called him back and he told me that his partner would send me an email with a link for the online course, I waited a day and no email, so I called back and was later got the link. I took the test and now sent an email that I completed it and wanted to make my range appointment. No response...
I called, SMS'd... for several days, at this point I was getting worried that I've been had... I finally was able to reach the man (Mark) on the phone and i told him that I've been leaving messages for him on his website, and SMS, he replied that he doesn't do business like that and he works 100% online, and he was tired of me barraging him with SMS's and thats the reason why he didn't respond (i think I sent about 5 sms's over a course of 3 days). He then told me that it was his partners responsibility to take over and book a range appointed and If i don't like that he can give my money back. At this point, I had already invested half a dozen hours in the online course and just didn't feel like starting all over and going somewhere else.
His partner Mike, eventually got in touch with me and arranged to meet at a range in Orange for the range test. Mike was a pleasant surprise, friendly and professional. He told me what to bring, ammo, hearing protection, handguns.
It was not a classroom session or a group session, just one one one at the range, and we were the only ones there. He briefed me on the process for the day, which was helpful and told me to just take it easy and relax. I brought 2 handguns which he inspected, recorded serial numbers, checked for any modifications (none) and asked me questions about my shooting experience and then shot about ~100 ish rounds on each on a man sized target at about 5 yards. It was a lot of reloading since one of my handguns took only 5 rounds! Once we were done, he provided some helpful tips on shooting, such as trigger control and body posture / position. Once we were done, he gave me a gift, a Challenge Coin! It was really nice to get one, as I also collect them. Total time was about 1.5 - 2 hours at the range. Later in the afternoon, I got an email of my training certificate.

Overall, I highly recommend Mike, and the type of training they provide. Their format is a huge time saver, especially the online format. The range day was one on one, which is something that usually is equivalent to a private instruction class. I would probably have had a completely different initial opinion of Advanced Public Instruction if I had interacted with him throughout the entire process.

Their website:
oc-ccw.com
Old 01-16-2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
They all require that. You have to prove you can accurately hit a target with either hand and clear your firearm in the case of a jam or misfire. With each firearm you're listing on your permit.

They want to make sure you can hit what you're aiming at in such a case that you actually have to use your weapon.

If you actually carry then regular practice is a basic obligation for competency. Further training never hurts either.
Sorry for the ignorance.
Please clarify the below: one must demonstrate:
1. shooting with both dominant & non-dominate?
2. shooting one handed with both dominant & non-dominate?

thanks
Old 01-22-2017, 1:36 AM

Just did my Firearms Training with Hansen Firearms Training today. Simply put, this program represents one of the best values in the CCW training arena. The class is structured as a 1 day course but that fits the needs of someone like me, working professional. Ben makes the course really laid back, is open to answering questions whenever you have one, and is totally non-intimidating. Anyone that's new to guns or the idea of CCW, i encourage you to really give Ben Hansen a serious consideration as he gives a really good overview of the logitics of carrying but also hones in on the mentality and mindset of the lifestyle we are embarking on. There was a good mix of renewals and first qualifiers in my class. Never did i feel intimidated to ask questions or voice clarifications to any topic discussed. Ben also goes over the various peripheral necessities to CCW, such as firearm security devices, protective gear, and alternative tools to the firearm in the class. Furthermore, he has them available for purchase in the class if you wish to pursue procurement. I only have positive things to say about this class and highly encourage anyone that's looking for their initial qualification as well as renewals to give Ben Hansen a fair running for your business. Anyone with questions or comments can either PM or post here and i will be more than happy to address.
Old 01-22-2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basket of deplorables View Post
Sorry for the ignorance.
Please clarify the below: one must demonstrate:
1. shooting with both dominant & non-dominate?
2. shooting one handed with both dominant & non-dominate?

thanks
To keep it simple. I did my qualifications today witg Ben Hansen Firearms Training. Majority of shots were taken from two handed firing position. Only a small portion were taken from one handed dominant and non dominant hand. Maybe 12 (6 right hand, 6 left). Truthfully, i was REALLY nervous when i was up to qualify, BUT you soon realize that the distance might sound initimidating on paper, but when you're actually shooting, it's not bad at all. As others have already mentioned, if you can't qualify for the minimum standards, you probably shouldn't carry a handgun...
Old 09-06-2017, 9:51 PM

Default Orange County CCW

Highly recommend Artifex and their One Day CCW training with Ben Smith at Artifexcc.com (out of Prado). Great classroom instruction for the first half of the day followed by a quick lunch, and then 4 hours of range. 6 students in our class meant good individual attention and instruction. Drawing skills, double tap, multiple attacker and scenarios covered were all very helpful.

Last edited by rolling thunder; 09-06-2017 at 9:54 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 9:38 AM

Looking for a class that is similar to TJ from All Safe Defense. A little more than just the classroom and minimum rounds on paper to quality. Such as shooting from cover, low light, etc. etc.

Anyone else have a class like this besides TJ? His schedule doesn't work for me in the upcoming month.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslingers View Post
Looking for a class that is similar to TJ from All Safe Defense. A little more than just the classroom and minimum rounds on paper to quality. Such as shooting from cover, low light, etc. etc.

Anyone else have a class like this besides TJ? His schedule doesn't work for me in the upcoming month.

Thanks.
Charlie Wu's class at On Target isn't as advanced as TJ's but he does have you

Learn to draw and shoot from the holster along with range commands
Shoot from hip at Contact distance
Shoot from 3 feet first from square then from diagonal step back to the left and right, which I believe gets you to 7 feet
Same from 7 feet
Shoot square on from 15 feet
Somewhere in there you practice replacing an empty mag with a fresh one. Of course you learn to clear your weapon.
You learn to search right and left after firing
Except when dumping a mag, all firing is two to center mass
That is roughly what he has you do. I probably didn't explain things clearly and/or left somethings out.

Following firing qualification and a lunch break comes classroom instruction.

Last edited by Chewy65; 12-16-2017 at 3:55 PM..
Old 12-18-2017, 8:12 AM

These are standard and basic training requirements for CCW.
Extra things are not applicable for qualifying.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
These are standard and basic training requirements for CCW.
Extra things are not applicable for qualifying.
Correct, but from what I observed Charlie introduces shooters to a lot of technique for a little more money than some.
Old 12-21-2017, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy65 View Post
Correct, but from what I observed Charlie introduces shooters to a lot of technique for a little more money than some.
They all do. That's not what CCW qualifying is about. It's just the beginning - the qualifying. Anyone can benefit by additional and ongoing training. Too many here are lumping that in with the basic CCW qualifying on instructor recommendations and that's just not what this is about.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They all do. That's not what CCW qualifying is about. It's just the beginning - the qualifying. Anyone can benefit by additional and ongoing training. Too many here are lumping that in with the basic CCW qualifying on instructor recommendations and that's just not what this is about.
But the question to which I was replying asked about CCW classes offering more than basic qualifying.
Old 12-26-2017, 6:18 AM

Quote:
But the question to which I was replying asked about CCW classes offering more than basic qualifying.
And my point is that everybody needs more than qualifying, and ongoing practice, that this is not what CCW qualifying training is about.

But whatever, it's a moot point. There are plenty of options to easily get the qualifying training required. My recommendation is always for SafeInsight since you do all the classroom segment online at your own convenience. It is likely the most convenient training option available. All the ancillary extras is just that, ancillary, so plan to do that ongoing and independent of your qualifying.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM

Basic shooting qualification requirement by OCSD for CCW has being simplified to:

First gun: 24rds at 3yrds, 24rds at 5yrds, 24rds at 7yrds.

Any additional gun: 10rds at 5yrds, 10rds at 7yrds.
Old 01-15-2018, 5:22 PM

Default OC Firearms Training Academy

I recently went through the OC Firearms Training Academy with instructors Andersen and Allum. I did the 1-day class on a Sunday. The cost for the California course was $125. Add range time and targets ($25) and Arizona and Utah training and fingerprints, and the total is $265 for permits valid in 34 states.

The instructors have this down to a science. While one is reviewing the ‘nuts and bolts’ of Policy 218, the applicable penal codes, shoot/no shoot scenarios, what happens AFTER you are involved in a use of your gun, and the mental and financial impacts of carrying, the other was calling us out one by one for weapons inspection and the first round of paperwork. The entire session was casual, interactive, and peppered with humor and stories from their law enforcement pasts that were relevant to the topics being presented. The classroom session lasted about 4 hours.

The live fire and written test were at Evans range in Orange. Lunch was provided before the qualification shoot, and we had one side of the range to ourselves. Another OCFTA instructor was running the range, and moved us through quickly and safely while taking time to help anyone that needed it. My time on the range was maybe 15 minutes, and with lunch, the written test and final sign-off, I was done in 90 minutes.

I highly recommend these guys if you’re familiar with your weapon, range protocol and basic firearms laws and need a class that zeroes in on the CCW training requirements.

The usual disclaimer – I’m not affiliated with them at all; just a satisfied customer.
Old 01-17-2018, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Charlie Wu's class at On Target isn't as advanced as TJ's but he does have you

Learn to draw and shoot from the holster along with range commands
Shoot from hip at Contact distance
Shoot from 3 feet first from square then from diagonal step back to the left and right, which I believe gets you to 7 feet
Same from 7 feet
Shoot square on from 15 feet
Somewhere in there you practice replacing an empty mag with a fresh one. Of course you learn to clear your weapon.
You learn to search right and left after firing
Except when dumping a mag, all firing is two to center mass
That is roughly what he has you do. I probably didn't explain things clearly and/or left somethings out.

Following firing qualification and a lunch break comes classroom instruction.

BTW, as an aside, OCSD is asking trainers to NOT include a bunch of extra training beyond what they require for the CCW application.

They are continuing to streamline the process so that if you are legal to carry you can electronically submit all your stuff, your proof of residency, training cert, livescan with your application, and then show up to pick up your permit.

The are also reducing the qualifying on subsequent weapons after the first on one your app/permit.

They have issued a little over 12K and expect that to be closer to 20K within the next year.
Old 04-23-2018, 7:02 AM

I just left this review for Safe Insight. It was for my 2nd CCW renewal (3rd permit). They offer the lecture portion online. Then you just go in and shoot the qualification.

Quote:
You charged me an extra $20 to get my actual certificate after paying for the renewal class. No where was this mentioned beforehand.

Then the other "ads" that are part of the training. I felt nickle and dimed. Will probably not recommend to others.
What are you going to do? Not pay for the cert after you did the training? It's a crappy tactic.

Previous permits were done with FTA and FAST OC.

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 04-23-2018 at 7:10 AM..
Old 04-23-2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post

Call ahead first.
Meh. I quit going to On Target after they told me to leave their store and disarm before coming into shoot.
Old 04-24-2018, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyD1978 View Post
I just left this review for Safe Insight. It was for my 2nd CCW renewal (3rd permit). They offer the lecture portion online. Then you just go in and shoot the qualification.

What are you going to do? Not pay for the cert after you did the training? It's a crappy tactic.

Previous permits were done with FTA and FAST OC.
Follow-up response from Safe Insight:
Quote:
Thank you for your comments to help us improve the experience for other CCW students.

While the eCertificate fee is outlined at the bottom of the Registration form, we do understand the frustration associated with the additional certificate fee at the end of the training. We have been working closely with the Sheriff to develop an improved process for electronic certificates that they are attempting to require all instructors to begin providing in the coming months. To show you that we are serious about creating happy and satisfied customers, we are refunding your Certificate fee.

We strive to create ongoing customers that come to us with CCW questions even when they are not actively training with us. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to improve your experience!
I'm surprised they responded. Makes me feel much better about the experience. I was under the assumption that my training fee included the $20 cert fee.

EDIT: I had more communication with them because of a mistake that was my own fault. They were quick to fix it and get me squared away. A++ in responding to customers.

Last edited by AnthonyD1978; 04-24-2018 at 7:43 AM..
Old 04-25-2018, 7:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'd like to recommend myself! Well i am biased, but please allow the introduction anyway.

Relatively new as an OCSD-approved instructor, i taught my first California class in January. (But i have been teaching the Utah class for a decade.)

My approach differs from other instructors. All of my training is free, and designed to get you into my office to learn about estate planning, which is what i actually do for a living.

Just for attending my free seminars, you are rewarded with my free CCW class (both CA & Utah), basic and advanced dry practice in my office, and free training at Front Sight (LOTS of free training at Front Sight).

You only need to attend one seminar (couple hours) to get these benefits, but that requirement, plus the fact that my total class time is about 15 hours, and right now i only offer it about once a month, means that my class is probably NOT for you if you are in a RUSH. There are many fine CCW instructors with shorter programs and i can refer you to several.

But my class is free and you can apply with OCSD up to six months after taking my class. I recommend you take advantage of some of the free Front Sight training i give you prior to applying with OCSD.

See all the details here, and get started: http://guntrust.org

I was offering the class on Saturdays. For the next few months, as i deal with an investment property up north, i need to keep my Saturdays free and am moving the class to weekdays. Soon i will add a second class each month, which will again be on Saturday.

I will also be adding evening and Saturday seminars for those who can't make my Tuesday lunch seminar. (Again, attending the seminar is the prereq for attending the CCW class.)
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE

Last edited by guntrust; 04-29-2018 at 6:06 AM..
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Guntrust is a bigot who doesn’t like LGBTQ people. I would avoid taking classes from him.
Old 07-04-2018, 5:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosway View Post
Guntrust is a bigot who doesn’t like LGBTQ people. I would avoid taking classes from him.
You are deranged, Greg.

Everyone is welcome to get virtually unlimited free training at Front Sight by attending free seminars at my office, regardless of their views on marriage and whether that institution preserves freedom for ALL.

I believe it does, and that is why it is under attack.
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE
Old 07-05-2018, 5:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocoder View Post
I recently went through the OC Firearms Training Academy with instructors Andersen and Allum. I did the 1-day class on a Sunday. The cost for the California course was $125. Add range time and targets ($25) and Arizona and Utah training and fingerprints, and the total is $265 for permits valid in 34 states.

The instructors have this down to a science. While one is reviewing the ‘nuts and bolts’ of Policy 218, the applicable penal codes, shoot/no shoot scenarios, what happens AFTER you are involved in a use of your gun, and the mental and financial impacts of carrying, the other was calling us out one by one for weapons inspection and the first round of paperwork. The entire session was casual, interactive, and peppered with humor and stories from their law enforcement pasts that were relevant to the topics being presented. The classroom session lasted about 4 hours.

The live fire and written test were at Evans range in Orange. Lunch was provided before the qualification shoot, and we had one side of the range to ourselves. Another OCFTA instructor was running the range, and moved us through quickly and safely while taking time to help anyone that needed it. My time on the range was maybe 15 minutes, and with lunch, the written test and final sign-off, I was done in 90 minutes.

I highly recommend these guys if you’re familiar with your weapon, range protocol and basic firearms laws and need a class that zeroes in on the CCW training requirements.

The usual disclaimer – I’m not affiliated with them at all; just a satisfied customer.
Ditto. Great guys, lots of experience. Retired LT and Sgt with Costa Mesa PD. They also use FT3.
Old 07-06-2018, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doheny View Post
Ditto. Great guys, lots of experience. Retired LT and Sgt with Costa Mesa PD. They also use FT3.
So, they are duping FT3 then? And you like them...
Lol
Old 07-06-2018, 7:34 AM

I used FTA, great guys and fun class. I will probably continue to use them for my renewal classes also.
Old 07-06-2018, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
I used FTA, great guys and fun class. I will probably continue to use them for my renewal classes also.
Agreed. Initial training for permit in 2002 and 8 renewals since then. Top notch.
Old 07-09-2018, 2:05 PM

Did my renewal with Artemis. They were and professional. All the material came in a binder with your name on it. I thought that was a nice touch. Steve and his wife Sandy are great teachers and it helps a lot that Steve is a firearms lawyer. Really good insight. I would definitely recommend them for training.
Old 07-13-2018, 6:32 PM

Default OC Online Gun Certificate

Orange County's only online gun certification is phenomenal for shooters with experiencing carrying on a daily basis. I would recommend this for CCW renewals and law enforcement/military (active and retired). It's a self-paced course and really makes the student accountable for their own learning. That being said, I think the majority of CCW applicants could use hands-on, classroom training. But for those who are extremely busy, and will actually read and absorb the material, this is a great course for them, too.

Winston is always available to answer questions in a timely manner, and very professional.

Scheduling the range time is very easy, and he is very flexible.

http://www.oconlineguncert.com/
Old 07-18-2018, 6:37 AM

It is NOT the only online option - there is also https://www.safeinsight.net/

All classroom is done online - you must complete each segment and pass an interim test, then an overall test. You cannot pass without a passing score.
Range time is done with a qualified trainer for each weapon you are putting on your application/permit.

Check 'em out.
Old 08-18-2018, 8:04 PM

any one here knows where to find inside range? where does greg block do his training now? thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 8:16 PM
Veteran Member

Great idea Doheny.....nailed it again. Thanks for thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk